• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Netflix on Xbox is Fucking Awful

They must have fixed it this afternoon, because I clicked on Law & Order and it took me to what it thought was the episode I wanted to watch, but gave me the listing and the listing had pictures and was super smooth.

PLUS when I finished an episode, it asked me if I wanted to watch the next episode while the credits were running. FUCKING NICE.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Fuck, I'm right there with you. SMH.

My biggest complaint is how it looks when you're browsing through titles. I don't need to see every row of every catagory at the same time. Such a horrible UI, who thought that was a good idea?!

The same marketing dickheads who influenced the full XBL redesign.

The HD playback is fine. Its just the streaming method has changed it doesn't do the long pre-buffering like before. Its actually in line with how it streams on the PS3 and web now. The quality is lower at the beginning and after a few seconds you should be seeing HD.

If you still aren't seeing HD maybe its a connection issue on your end or Netflix is experiencing load problems. You should double check the former and then contact Netflix support.

I posted this before, but are the bars limited to only 3 when streaming HD?
It used to be 4 bars right? Does this mean the video quality is lower now?

Mifune

Mehmber
Hmm I liked how it used to load beforehand so it had a great picture out of the gate, unlike the PS3 Netflix.

Other than that, I don't see what's so awful about this update. Yeah it feels weird that the shows just start playing when you click on them but I think that's just because I'm not used to it. I like how accessible the search function is now. No "start from beginning" is lame but I never used that anyway.

The feel of scrolling through the queue is off, and the UI is awfully busy, but these are cosmetic things that either I'll come to accept or will be improved as time goes on.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/61276582

Guide to get back original Netflix UI.

1. Go to http://netflix.com

2. Sign in and click "Your Account" in the top right corner.

3. Scroll down and click "Manage Netflix ready devices and computers"

4. Click the "Disconnect Devices" button. Confirm decision when asked.

5. Push the guide button on your 360 controller, then go left and click the "Quickplay" option

6. Go two spaces to the right and it will list all of your available Quickplay choices. Scroll down and click Netflix.

7. Netflix will give you a code which you must enter here https://account.netflix.com/Activate

Enjoy.

Also after activating you need only do steps 5-6 to reach Netflix again.

I haven't tried it yet, but multiple people in the GameFAQs thread have confirmed that this works. EDIT: Oh, and apparently this allows you to use parties again.

MrPliskin

Banned
One device is already on, so I use that one. Switching to an entirely different system just to start up the same app? Even with the steps backwards made in the new 360 Netflix app, no UI is worth that level of inconvenience. If the 360 is on, I use that one. If the PS3 is on, I use that one.

Lol, inconvenience? You're hitting a few buttons, lol. Are gamers that stinking lazy that turning on another system is "inconvenient"? Fuck me, society is doomed =/

The only inconvenience is the 360 app deciding to start a show without letting me chose which ep, or apparently not letting me watch from the beginning. Didn't use it for Netflix before, won't use it now. Utterly worthless.

The worst thing for me is that when you hover over a cover for more than 3 seconds a giant, low-res, random screenshot from the movie takes its place.

It's fugly and annoying.

Dunlop

The worst thing for me is that when you hover over a cover for more than 3 seconds a giant, low-res, random screenshot from the movie takes its place.

It's fugly and annoying.

yeah I posted about that on the Connect forum, just removing that would make me like the client 100% more or put the stupid window at the bottom of the screen while leaving the title cover you are highlighting still visible.

Must admit I am liking the whole voice rec commands while in a show, just saying "XBOX Next episode" is great

Doodis

What happened to the option to restart the episode? Is it gone or am I just missing it? So ridiculous. My kids quit out in the middle of their shows all the time and when they go back to it, they almost always want to start at the beginning again, but this option no longer exists?

RedAssedApe

Banned
What happened to the option to restart the episode? Is it gone or am I just missing it? So ridiculous. My kids quit out in the middle of their shows all the time and when they go back to it, they almost always want to start at the beginning again, but this option no longer exists?

Its gone apparently. Which is one of the complaints people are voicing. Along with not being able to do episode selections without first starting a video.

Apath

Lol, inconvenience? You're hitting a few buttons, lol. Are gamers that stinking lazy that turning on another system is "inconvenient"? Fuck me, society is doomed =/

The only inconvenience is the 360 app deciding to start a show without letting me chose which ep, or apparently not letting me watch from the beginning. Didn't use it for Netflix before, won't use it now. Utterly worthless.
Why is it such an inconvenience to have it start playing the show before you choose an episode? It's literally the same as before, except it plays the episode in the menu. Click show -> Click More Episodes -> Pick Episode.

I've been using PS3 Netflix since yesterday after all the talk of how superior it is, and you have to be "batshit insane" to think the convenience provided by it is worth switching to an entirely different system to use it. We're talking about literally less than a minutes worth of navigating menus for both of them, and that's all the difference. Watching episodes feels pretty much exactly the same. The only way I'd concede it would be worth it -- for either -- to turn on a different system is if you have a full remote for one of them.

You're also pretty into this discussion, despite not actually using the Netflix app on 360.

Source: Moconews

Find and dandy if every cable provider offered it. I'd subscribe to HBO if the cable provider here was in the 21st Century and had this But nope, only the largest of the large cable providers will offer this stuff.

Plans change.

As broadband and digital streaming services the likes of netflix become more readily available, cable is and will continue to slowly decline.

HBO will get with the times or they'll run the risk of becoming irrelevant.

Kunohara

My movies are now playing backwards.

Wow holy shit. This pretty much takes the cake. That really sucks man. Is it all the time, or just sometimes?

This is actually making me want to cancel Netflix. The Canadian version sucks in terms of selection, and now this.

vaelic

Banned
Why would it start trying to play the first video of the series before I can even go into the episode list? It's slower and even more laggy. Was I supposed to like it better? The fuck is this?

From the reviews I read they state the interface is better and that it's another overblown gaf topic...

VALIS

The most recent Netflix Wii client is also pretty bad.

I have no idea why they are making these things worse.

Netflix's clients are horrid on all devices. They have some asinine, Apple-esque, "let's make everything simplified and visual so even a grandma can use it!" design aesthetic that does not work at all for movies and TV. You can't even browse their database of films and shows from their clients, you can either browse the most popular in certain categories or try to search for something you know is already there. It's a disaster.

Philthy

Netflix's clients are horrid on all devices. They have some asinine, Apple-esque, "let's make everything simplified and visual so even a grandma can use it!" design aesthetic that does not work at all for movies and TV. You can't even browse their database of films and shows from their clients, you can either browse the most popular in certain categories or try to search for something you know is already there. It's a disaster.

The client I have on my Vizio is pretty awesome. It allows browsing the entire database, searches, has a nice slick look.

The only issue I have is when you pause it puts the progress bar right at boobs height without fail. It doesn't go away for 10 minutes. At least put a button in to make the bar disappear.

RedAssedApe

Banned
From the reviews I read they state the interface is better and that it's another overblown gaf topic...

There are some weird UI choices. Yes some of the responses are extreme (i.e. idiots on the Netflix blog saying they are going to cancel their subscription over this) but some of the criticism is warranted.

Off the top of my head some of the things brought up:

- Not being able to restart the video from beginning
- Loss of Party Viewing (although this is a claimed API issue so I would give Netflix the pass)
- Cluttered Home Page
- Slower shifting between cover art
- Loss of Recently Watched category
- Doesn't show when a title is expiring
- Can't browse episode list without first buffering and starting an episode
- Display menu is gone

DirectX

Neo Member
I don't like the new UI. I don't like how fast forward works now. I don't like the way it starts playing without you getting to look at the episode list. I hope they change it. I can always watch on my ps3 I guess.

I booted up netflix just to see what people are talking about...and I still have the old interface? I have the updated dashboard, but netflix is still the same. Episodes dont start playing automatically when I choose them, it still buffers before playing.

Weird.

kaskade

This is a bummer. I thought the old one was really nice looking. This one is a step backwards for me. Especially the auto playing. At least give me options.

phinious

I used to like fast forwarding through the intros to tv shows. You could actually see when the show was about to start by looking at the still frames. The new version is not as good for fast forwarding imo.

Oppo

- Loss of Party Viewing (although this is a claimed API issue so I would give Netflix the pass)
- Cluttered Home Page
- Display menu is gone

Yikes, really? That sounds pretty bad. I am a Silver peon so I can't see it, I tend to use Apple TV or the PS3 Netflix. Can't restart a movie, seriously, wow.

I kind of dislike the PS3 Netflix's top-level organization, but it has 3 advantages:

• add to instant queue
• progress bars for what you've watched - invaluable for series watching
• X-high quality (1080p)

Also because my TV speaks through the HDMI cable to the PS3 I can use my TV remote for everything (a trick that I bet a lot of people still don't know).

Apath

There are some weird UI choices. Yes some of the responses are extreme (i.e. idiots on the Netflix blog saying they are going to cancel their subscription over this) but some of the criticism is warranted.

- Cluttered Home Page
- Display menu is gone
Yeah, wtf is this shit? I could have sworn it was there earlier, but now it's gone.
Yikes, really? That sounds pretty bad. I am a Silver peon so I can't see it, I tend to use Apple TV or the PS3 Netflix. Can't restart a movie, seriously, wow.

I kind of dislike the PS3 Netflix's top-level organization, but it has 3 advantages:

• add to instant queue
• progress bars for what you've watched - invaluable for series watching
• X-high quality (1080p)

Also because my TV speaks through the HDMI cable to the PS3 I can use my TV remote for everything (a trick that I bet a lot of people still don't know).
The PS3's Netflix app is much uglier, but it's also a lot more fluid because of its simplicity. I wonder what was going through the minds of the people in charge of the Netflix 360 app. Some of their decisions are mind boggling.

def sim

They should have kept the previous UI with 5.1 and subs added on. It was the best Netflix app up until this point. It's a shame they decided to ruin it.

Can anyone with the old version invite me to a Netflix party, that is the fix for old corrupted Netflix app which is why you get the error. Apparently when I accept it will force me to install the new app. GT: jhferry3

I'm able to access the old Netflix app after following the steps outlined in my previous post. The party feature works. Make sure that you select the Netflix app from the "All" tab in the Quickplay menu accessible from the Xbox Guide, not the dashboard Quickplay menu. I'm able to access both the old and new apps.

jhferry I sent you a party invite, did it work? EDIT: Cool!

Loaded it up the Netflix and yes it's shit. But do I really want to disassociate all my other devices just to get the old app back? Also what are the odds Microsoft won't find a way to cock block it and force an update?

Also who do we blame for this redesign? MS or Netflix?

I'm able to access the old Netflix app after following the steps outlined in my previous post. The party feature works. Make sure that you select the Netflix app from the "All" tab in the Quickplay menu accessible from the Xbox Guide, not the dashboard Quickplay menu. I'm able to access both the old and new apps.

jhferry I sent you a party invite, did it work? EDIT: Cool!

Yeah thanks, how are you getting to from new apps? I am only able to access it via Xbox Guide. Its listed in your apps section?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Loaded it up the Netflix and yes it's shit. But do I really want to disassociate all my other devices just to get the old app back? Also what are the odds Microsoft won't find a way to cock block it and force an update?

Also who do we blame for this redesign? MS or Netflix?

Probably both. Netflix in general sucks at UI (look at their UI for other platforms) but they probably are also somewhat handcuffed by the Metro UI guidelines.

Yeah thanks, how are you getting to from new apps? I am only able to access it via Xbox Guide. Its listed in your apps section?

I'm also only able to access it from the Xbox Guide (from the 'All' tab). All other Netflix links take me to the new app.

Does someone want to make a thread for this workaround (I'm still a Junior)? I'd hate for Microsoft/Netflix to notice this and disable access, but I think a lot of people would appreciate the information.

zou

Probably both. Netflix in general sucks at UI (look at their UI for other platforms) but they probably are also somewhat handcuffed by the Metro UI guidelines.

That's gotta be it. Netflix's non metro app is being hindered by MS' metro guidelines.

DR3AM

when i try to get the old UI back using the guide, i get an error message. according to GameFaqs, someone needs to send an invite? help?

Hellish

Why would it start trying to play the first video of the series before I can even go into the episode list? It's slower and even more laggy. Was I supposed to like it better? The fuck is this?

Its been doing that on iphone for a while and I hated it the first time I used it on there, I thought they would have never kept that idea but I guess they thought it was smart.

heavyness

I prefer the old version over this one. I know this one works for both controller and Kinect, but they made some weird decisions and taking features out isn't cool.

BUT the biggest thing that pisses my wife off is the automatic playing of the next episode. While this is a cool feature (and we actually like this feature) I wish we could turn it off for certain shows. Why? Because when our daughters watch Dora the Explorer, they watch 1 episode and that's all we allow them. Now, they think they can keep watching because it "never ends".

Sure it's an edge case, but we don't like it.

Top Bottom