• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSC is closed, STALKER 2 cancelled [Up5: GSC: Wait for Up6 in mid-January]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
fucking shit

http://ukranews.com/ru/news/ukraine/2011/12/09/59663

there are two reasons

1)one of the ukranian law enforcement structure was interested in taking control over GSC (translation - they wanted to capture the company and have their money/control their direction). - edit5: this isn't true.
2)Grigorovich didn't like how STALKER 2 development was going

all salaries will be payed until february 2012. Na'vi (guys who won DOTA 2 tournament) are moving into their offices.

it was fun while it lasted.

Update:

Update 2:

The denial tweet above has been deleted.

Update 3:

The company's director says it's true. Gah, don't think it's fake. :(

https://twitter.com/#!/Bourkovski/status/145146724279795712

Update 4:

Update 5:

https://twitter.com/#!/gscstalker/status/150201830234800129

“Dear Stalkers: We will not be releasing any official news until around mid January. However there is cause for hope! Good hunting!”

---

Rock Paper Shotgun said:
LATEST UPDATE: GSC have got back to me with “Sorry, no comments at this point.” That does not sound promising.

SECOND UPDATE: The denial tweet has now been deleted. Hmm. Still trying to get confirmation on this, but it’s looking like GSC is down. GSC’s Dmitri Bourkovski has just tweeted “Not PR. GSC closed.”

FIRST UPDATE: GSC deny the report on their twitter here. We’ve contacted them for a comment.

ORIGINAL: According to this report from Ukrainian news site UkraNews, GSC has been shut down by owner Sergei Grigorovich. The closure was apparently announced to the workforce earlier today. The autotranslation is messy, so if anyone can explain the sixth paragraph – which tries to speculate on what was going on – accurately, that would be great.
Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/09/wuh-oh-gsc-stalker-2-dead/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fucking cock shit cunt.

Alexios

Banned
Great, so now even great new IP that does well ends up not getting sequels because of bullshiit like that...

Oh well, let's hope Metro 2033: After the Last Light will be more open, maybe getting more ex-STALKERs onboard?

1-D_FTW

Saddened, but not shocked. Seems the same unfocused maddness that made their previous games genius is what doomed them from a business POV. The fact the original STALKERs emerged from such chaos is a minor miracle.

Aselith

That fucking blows! Stalker is one of the best and most atmospheric shooters in existence. I wonder if there's any chance of the Metro group picking it up?

And wait so according to your reasons...this isn't a bankruptcy closure? Maybe there's a chance that they do a Dark Souls style reboot in another country?

bdouble

Great, so now even great new IP that does well ends up not getting sequels because of bullshiit like that...

Oh well, let's hope Metro 2033: After the Last Light will be more open :d

yeah no kidding what fucking luck. This is a sad sad news. I wonder what they got away with as far as content.

glaurung

Sad to see it go. Although if there is a shred of identifiable ideas, I am sure the game will creep up from the woodwork and get done - under a different name perhaps, by a new team.

Interested to read a post mortem on why the things were sour though.

ezekial45

Banned
That fucking sucks. Sorry to see it turn out like this. Didn't they have this plan to take the franchise cross media as well?

Hopefully we'll see how the game looked eventually. Like leaked pics and videos.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ani_cry.gif

Holy shit. This is the worst dev house closing news in YEARS.

Stalker is one of the very few shooters this decade when I first played, I told myself: Oh, man, this is some seriously good shit

fuck

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
you guys seem not to notice the first reason why they are closing. and while it's unconfirmed, it's totally believable (even though a bit strange).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. Damn.
Weren't they building up a big multi-media assault with a tie-in movie and merchandise to hit at the same time as the game? I remember hearing about that just a few months ago.

Aselith

Top Bottom