• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Regulus Tera
Romanes Eunt Domus
(12-15-2011, 05:53 PM)
Regulus Tera's Avatar

Originally Posted by [Nintex]

if you can think you can bomb this chocobo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

bombaaaaa

This is the worst Chocobo theme rendition and I usually love heavy arrangements like this.
AMoreHumbleSquare
Banned
(12-15-2011, 06:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Ridleyscott

N64 sold in more regions and sold more quickly due to the 3D novelty but it bombed later. OoT came out with no competition and when the hype was still in. Hence it did well. The video-game market had already been well reestablished. Zelda and the initial NES games had to overcome the stigma from the preceding video-game crash in the early 80s. Its not really comparable. For the time LoZ kicked dick - almost 7 million (we don't know the real numbers) for an action/RPG. The only other games like that were Nerdy computer games that weren't popular. Then its sequel had people driving all over the damn place just to get it since there was a shortage. Its sales were gimped due to the chip shortage. OoT didn't even have to do any work, it sold because of the ground-work laid by the originals, the 3D hype and no competition.

Um...
[IMG][/IMG]
Arsenic
Member
(12-15-2011, 06:36 PM)
Arsenic's Avatar

Originally Posted by AMoreHumbleSquare

Um...
[IMG][/IMG]

Which color belongs to whom?
BurntPork
Banned
(12-15-2011, 06:44 PM)
BurntPork's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arsenic

Which color belongs to whom?

Uh... Sarcasm?
test_account
XP-39C
(12-15-2011, 06:52 PM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arsenic

Which color belongs to whom?

Red is Japan.
-Pyromaniac-
(12-15-2011, 06:53 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
Damn yo, Skywardu Swaarad flopped like a dolphin.
Gravijah
Member
(12-15-2011, 06:58 PM)
Gravijah's Avatar

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

Damn yo, Skywardu Swaarad flopped like a dolphin.

look i told people zeldas new hairstyle is dumb and look what happened
AMoreHumbleSquare
Banned
(12-15-2011, 07:04 PM)
To put the FF debut-comparison topic in perspective:

[IMG][/IMG]
-Pyromaniac-
(12-15-2011, 07:04 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Gravijah

look i told people zeldas new hairstyle is dumb and look what happened

yeah man I always knew motion controlz sucked too!
Chris1964
Sales-Age Genius
(12-15-2011, 07:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Kandinsky

Yeah this, wait for actual reports/numbers people!.

Why wait for them? Retailers talk for a slow start.

Inazuma the same.
Last edited by Chris1964; 12-15-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(12-15-2011, 07:27 PM)
Mpl90's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chris1964

Why wait for them? Retailers talk for a slow start.

Inazuma the same.

Inazuma a bit expected, but it can recover a lot in the weekend, since it's a game that doesn't have to rely on the short term, being a bit a "casual" game, especially compared to all the other RPGs.
...And its rise could be even better since 3DS will probably see high weekend sales.

About FFXIII-2...eh, expected as well.
JoshuaJSlone
Member
(12-15-2011, 07:28 PM)
JoshuaJSlone's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ridleyscott

No more OoT!

If anything, isn't the lesson of this year that OOT sells more in Japan than something else?


EDIT: To compare to other portable ports.
Last edited by JoshuaJSlone; 12-15-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Kandinsky
Member
(12-15-2011, 07:28 PM)
Kandinsky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chris1964

Why wait for them? Retailers talk for a slow start.

Inazuma the same.

Still, slow start does not necessarily mean bomba nor the kind of talk we are getting in this thread regarding XIII-2 :/
AMoreHumbleSquare
Banned
(12-15-2011, 07:43 PM)
Well, from the famitsu article posted earlier...
[IMG][/IMG]
There's a couple dozen lined up.

Would be nice to get some reports on the situation two years ago by comparison.
Arsenic
Member
(12-15-2011, 08:19 PM)
Arsenic's Avatar

Originally Posted by BurntPork

Uh... Sarcasm?

Skyward Sword numbers threw me off. I could have sworn they were higher in Japan
Kenka
Member
(12-15-2011, 11:14 PM)
Kenka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kandinsky

Still, slow start does not necessarily mean bomba nor the kind of talk we are getting in this thread regarding XIII-2 :/

Less than 600k is bomba.

test_account
XP-39C
(12-15-2011, 11:18 PM)
test_account's Avatar
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP

24% off MHTriG, and this time sold by Amazon.jp themself. Bomba?! Kidding hehe :P
Nuclear Muffin
Banned
(12-15-2011, 11:18 PM)
Nuclear Muffin's Avatar

Originally Posted by lunchwithyuzo

So maybe DCharlie's 800k bomba bin prediction will come true, only he got the game wrong. ;)

Ok, I laughed at this one. Well played
BurntPork
Banned
(12-15-2011, 11:22 PM)
BurntPork's Avatar

Originally Posted by test_account

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP

24% off MHTriG, and this time sold by Amazon.jp themself. Bomba?! Kidding hehe :P

DCharlie and French were right!?! D:

This is it for 3DS. It'll be discontinued next week...
frankie_baby
Member
(12-15-2011, 11:24 PM)
Seeing as amazon is being mentioned again, apart from a few hours earlier mh has been above ff most of the time since ff came out
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(12-15-2011, 11:28 PM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by test_account

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP

24% off MHTriG, and this time sold by Amazon.jp themself. Bomba?! Kidding hehe :P

giga bomba
Road
Member
(12-16-2011, 12:49 AM)
Media Create:

MH3 - 325k pre-orders
MH3G - 444k pre-orders

[360] Skyrim - 91.12% sell-through.
qq more
Member
(12-16-2011, 01:09 AM)

Originally Posted by BurntPork

DCharlie and French were right!?! D:

This is it for 3DS. It'll be discontinued next week...

3DS more like 3DreamcaSt. Nintendo going third party!
donkey show
Little Big Dev
(12-16-2011, 01:14 AM)
donkey show's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kenka

A post about the actual sales of this week, hurrah ! Yeah, I overlooked it but it is nice to see Namco actually reach their own expectations. Didn't end up into another Namco x Capcom-like projection, he he.

For a game as good as Gundam Extreme VS is, even with it's arcade popularity, that pricing could have made a big impact on its sell-through. Not bad for Namco at all. I wonder how many total units the game has sold in both Japan and Asia so far.
cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(12-16-2011, 01:58 AM)
cvxfreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Road

Media Create:

MH3 - 325k pre-orders
MH3G - 444k pre-orders

[360] Skyrim - 91.12% sell-through.

Capcom really shipped 1 million MH3 with only 325K pre-orders? lol.
AMoreHumbleSquare
Banned
(12-16-2011, 02:11 AM)

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

Capcom really shipped 1 million MH3 with only 325K pre-orders? lol.

Same as XIII-2 essentially?
DCharlie
Always bet on white
(12-16-2011, 02:15 AM)
DCharlie's Avatar

DCharlie and French were right!?! D:

This is it for 3DS. It'll be discontinued next week...

mentioned this yesterday in another thread (the amazon/street price drop), was told my anecdotal evidence wasn't believable and contrary to others. Bath of tears. Pills and vodka. A night alone.

:( :( :(
Timbuktu
Member
(12-16-2011, 02:16 AM)
Timbuktu's Avatar
Am i alone in finding 'bomba' annoying as a made up word?
freddy
(12-16-2011, 02:28 AM)
freddy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Timbuktu

Am i alone in finding 'bomba' annoying as a made up word?

Nah, it's as irritating as fuck and one of the reasons the media-create threads top out at 200 replies outside of system releases.
Kagari
Ambidex Edition
(12-16-2011, 02:30 AM)
Kagari's Avatar
FFXIII-2 faces an uphill battle. Releasing a sequel to a game many people were disappointed in wasn't exactly the best idea.
Brazil
Member
(12-16-2011, 02:31 AM)
Brazil's Avatar

Originally Posted by Timbuktu

Am i alone in finding 'bomba' annoying as a made up word?

It's not really a made up word, you know.
waicol
Banned
(12-16-2011, 02:42 AM)
waicol's Avatar

Originally Posted by Timbuktu

Am i alone in finding 'bomba' annoying as a made up word?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rQIVMtm1E
Pureauthor
(12-16-2011, 03:25 AM)
Pureauthor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kagari

FFXIII-2 faces an uphill battle. Releasing a sequel to a game many people were disappointed in wasn't exactly the best idea.

It's not like they had a lot of options on the table.

Yes, it's a bad decision, but it was pretty much an inevitable bad decision after all the other screwups they made over the course of this generation backing them into a corner.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(12-16-2011, 05:11 AM)
AniHawk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kagari

FFXIII-2 faces an uphill battle. Releasing a sequel to a game many people were disappointed in wasn't exactly the best idea.

well thank god ffxiii-3 will fix all that.
Erethian
Member
(12-16-2011, 05:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Pureauthor

It's not like they had a lot of options on the table.

Yes, it's a bad decision, but it was pretty much an inevitable bad decision after all the other screwups they made over the course of this generation backing them into a corner.

They can also hope to win back some interest in the franchise, assuming FF13-2 is a good game and has positive word of mouth.
ItWasMeantToBe19
Member
(12-16-2011, 05:18 AM)
ItWasMeantToBe19's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kagari

FFXIII-2 faces an uphill battle. Releasing a sequel to a game many people were disappointed in wasn't exactly the best idea.

duckroll said only trolls were disappointed in it and I believed him since I liked it :(
LOCK
Member
(12-16-2011, 05:28 AM)
LOCK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Road

Media Create:

MH3 - 325k pre-orders
MH3G - 444k pre-orders

[360] Skyrim - 91.12% sell-through.

Clearly they under shipped this time. They should have followed MH3 example and added 200K to the preorders and shipped that amount.
king zell
Member
(12-16-2011, 05:29 AM)
king zell's Avatar
Dengeki

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (5.800) - 525,138 / NEW

http://news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html
Jonnyram
(12-16-2011, 05:30 AM)
Jonnyram's Avatar
I think the undershipping is gonna bite them in the ass, because from now until the end of the year, Mario Kart 7 is gonna be the big seller. I don't see MH3G having legs because of MK's popularity.
onipex
Member
(12-16-2011, 05:38 AM)
onipex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonnyram

I think the undershipping is gonna bite them in the ass, because from now until the end of the year, Mario Kart 7 is gonna be the big seller. I don't see MH3G having legs because of MK's popularity.


I don't see why both can't have legs.
Jonnyram
(12-16-2011, 05:42 AM)
Jonnyram's Avatar

Originally Posted by onipex

I don't see why both can't have legs.

Seriously?
One's a popular game to play in schools while the other is a popular game to play in schools. No friction there at all.
cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(12-16-2011, 05:43 AM)
cvxfreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by AMoreHumbleSquare

Well, from the famitsu article posted earlier...
[IMG][/IMG]
There's a couple dozen lined up.

Would be nice to get some reports on the situation two years ago by comparison.

I was there. That was the line to get into the countdown event. Granted, most people bought the game then and there, but by no means did everyone in there (including myself) buy the title.
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(12-16-2011, 05:46 AM)
Mrbob's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kagari

FFXIII-2 faces an uphill battle. Releasing a sequel to a game many people were disappointed in wasn't exactly the best idea.

Yup. I have almost zero interest in FF13-2 after playing FF13 for about 10 hours and giving up.
saichi
Member
(12-16-2011, 06:22 AM)
saichi's Avatar

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

I was there. That was the line to get into the countdown event. Granted, most people bought the game then and there, but by no means did everyone in there (including myself) buy the title.

but everyone was there for Yuko!
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(12-16-2011, 06:38 AM)
Mpl90's Avatar

Originally Posted by Road

Media Create:

MH3 - 325k pre-orders
MH3G - 444k pre-orders

[360] Skyrim - 91.12% sell-through.

And also brutal comebacks on 3DS
Nintendogs 24th
Pokemon 41st
Zelda 48th

Two things
1)last week's Famitsu data reported a great increase for Rocket Heroes 3, which made it back to 25th position, while for Media Create...it wasn't even in top 50.
Considering how the games from this DQ derivative brand behave, we could probably see it again in top 30. Different trackers are different indeed :lol

2) but no tracker difference can make up for the absence in top 50 of PES 2012, completely destroyed by MH, at this point :lol
Seeing how much high are the numbers, it could have had a Wiiesque debut (7-8k)...and it could have legs.
But, however, great job again, Konami!
Perfo
Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
(12-16-2011, 08:40 AM)
Perfo's Avatar
On a side note I wanna ask you guys one thing: if FFXIII-2 doesn't sell well, how much your sure it's related to XIII's output and how more related to japanese players loosing interest in home console games? Afterall, Skyward Sword too had low sales and was already a sequel of a great game and even better than the previous one. Ni No Kuni had a bad destiny too. Monster Hunter tri on Wii too didn't achieve the same success of portable versions. And so on.

The point I make then is easy: maybe it's not FF loosing fans, it's japanese players that want their saga to move on portables like Dragon Quest did.
sphinx
the piano man
(12-16-2011, 08:44 AM)
sphinx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Perfo

On a side note I wanna ask you guys one thing: if FFXIII-2 doesn't sell well, how much your sure it's related to XIII's output and how more related to japanese players loosing interest in home console games? Afterall, Skyward Sword too had low sales and was already a sequel of a great game and even better than the previous one. Ni No Kuni had a bad destiny too. Monster Hunter tri on Wii too didn't achieve the same success of portable versions. And so on.

The point I make then is easy: maybe it's not FF loosing fans, it's japanese players that want their saga to move on portables like Dragon Quest did.

I think, japanese gamers respond to stimuli like all other gamers in the world.

Advertise in famitsu, have a demo, show high production values and a fun gameplay premise and you are set. There's not much you can do, regardless of whether a game is on a handheld or a home console.
Alextended
Banned
(12-16-2011, 08:45 AM)
Alextended's Avatar
Monster Hunter did worse than the Wii game on home consoles before Japan went all handheld to this extent so I don't think that's relevant.

It's just a special case since it exploded when it went portable despite being a PS2 game previously so, it's the social aspect that sells it.

Ni No Kuni doesn't count either since Level 5 games often bomb, I think, while the DS Ni No Kuni game bombed badly too.
Last edited by Alextended; 12-16-2011 at 08:49 AM.
gconsole
Member
(12-16-2011, 08:48 AM)
gconsole's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonnyram

Seriously?
One's a popular game to play in schools while the other is a popular game to play in schools. No friction there at all.

2 different genre. And do u know MH is way more popular than MK , right?
Alrus
Member
(12-16-2011, 08:51 AM)
Alrus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Perfo


The point I make then is easy: maybe it's not FF loosing fans, it's japanese players that want their saga to move on portables like Dragon Quest did.

We have seen games being successful on the PS3 pretty recently so I don't there's a sudden lack of interest in console release.

Ni No Kuni failed for a few reasons imo... It's targeted at kids on a console not really populated by them, it's by Level-5 after 2 very mediocre ps3 rpgs, it wasn't clearly different in content compared to the DS game...

I think FF XIII soured a lot people and they're not interested in exploring that world further. It's also starring characters that weren't major actors in the first game. (On the other hand FF X is one of the most beloved game in the series and FF X-2 starred its most popular character).

Originally Posted by Alextended

Ni No Kuni doesn't count either since Level 5 games often bomb, I think, while the DS Ni No Kuni game bombed badly too.

Not really, until recently most of their game were pretty successful. And Ni No Kuni DS didn't bomb, it sold more than 550k(that's huge for a new IP). But it was vastly overshipped (kind of like Mh Tri)
Last edited by Alrus; 12-16-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Thread Tools