• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey Hazaro, are you going to be updating the OP anytime soon, like today or tomorrow?

My GPU just died out of the blue so now I'm going to be putting a new computer together about six months to a year before I had planned to. I want to have the new parts ordered before the end of the weekend. Thanks.
This weekend? Maaaaaaaaaybe. Don't think so though.
I need to do a lot more reading into user experiences with Ivy in the next 1-3 days (Larger overclocking pool), then decide if it's actually a good value proposition for the lower end builds, or swapping Z68 boards with Z77 (I don't think so right now due to $30 price bump).

It's a lot of minor stuff on the CPU/mobo side, nothing else will probably have big changes, if parts chage at all for most builds.
Do we have any "air flow" experts that can comment on my air flow setup?
So just wondering if any our resident experts can comment on my air flow and if this is a good set up.
Looks good to me.

Hawk269

This weekend? Maaaaaaaaaybe. Don't think so though.
I need to do a lot more reading into user experiences with Ivy in the next 1-3 days (Larger overclocking pool), then decide if it's actually a good value proposition for the lower end builds, or swapping Z68 boards with Z77 (I don't think so right now due to $30 price bump).

It's a lot of minor stuff on the CPU/mobo side, nothing else will probably have big changes, if parts chage at all for most builds.

Looks good to me.

Thanks Haz...I was just worried I had too many intake vs. outtake, but it evens out almost... with the PSU and the 2 GPU's, I have a total of 6 out take vs. 6 intake (not counting the inner intake basically working in push/pull.

Ettie

Does anyone know of any minimalistic white cases like the Antec P180 SE, but more widely available and perhaps a little cheaper? I'm looking to "grow up" a little in the not too distant future.

Forbiden

Got a question regarding my PSU. Would it be dangerous to mount it with the fan facing down if my PC is on a carpet surface? As far as I know the biggest deal with carpet surfaces and having a PSU fan down is the dust that would get sucked into it, but my case has a dust filter right below the PSU mount. Would it hurt the PSU at all if I mount it with fan facing down? And are there any real advantages to doing it?

cilonen

Got a question regarding my PSU. Would it be dangerous to mount it with the fan facing down if my PC is on a carpet surface? As far as I know the biggest deal with carpet surfaces and having a PSU fan down is the dust that would get sucked into it, but my case has a dust filter right below the PSU mount. Would it hurt the PSU at all if I mount it with fan facing down? And are there any real advantages to doing it?

If you can get decent access to clean the dust filter regularly. The filter will do it's job, but the dust will clog it up quicker than normal and reduce the amount of air getting through - and that will probably lead to increased internal temps.

Hawk269

I would avoid going directly on carpet. What I did was get a piece of wood that is about 1/2" thick, sanded it down and painted it black to match the color of my case and my entertainment unit. I then put my rig on top of this wood plank that is on the carpet.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Superb. Similar to my build, love that case :)

Thanks. It was my first build in about 10 years so I was a little nervous, but once I got going it was easy. There is so much information on the web/YouTube that any issues you may have can easily be overcome with a little research. So no one be scared to build yourself!!!! I went from nervous about building to looking at newegg/amazon daily for more stuff to add to the build.

First thing I need to do is take a decent picture of the case interior.

Chris R

I would avoid going directly on carpet. What I did was get a piece of wood that is about 1/2" thick, sanded it down and painted it black to match the color of my case and my entertainment unit. I then put my rig on top of this wood plank that is on the carpet.
So much fancier than my two pieces of 2x4 unpainted and unsanded that my rig is on.

Hawk269

Nvidia made it official. The big suprise was the GTX 690. The card looks sick with two windows that allow you see the cooler and has a metail chrome looking cover with a lighted up GTX logo. No release date that they said on the stream, but they apparently gave one away and they had a physical one on the stage.

Hawk269

From Anandtech....holy shit...looks like they are not handicapped 680 GPU's in the 690!!!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5795/...gtx-690-dual-gk104-flagship-launching-may-3rd

As we mentioned back on Monday, NVIDIA was going to be making some kind of GeForce announcement this evening at the NVIDA Gaming Festival 2012 in Shanghai, China. NVIDIA’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has just finished his speech, announcing NVIDIA’s next ultra-premium video card, the GeForce GTX 690.

Launching later this week, the GeForce GTX 690 will be NVIDIA’s new dual-GPU flagship video card, complementing their existing single-GPU GeForce GTX 680. Equipped with a pair of fully enabled GK104 GPUs, NVIDIA is shooting for GTX 680 SLI performance on a single card, and with GTX 690 they just might get there. We won’t be publishing our review until Thursday, but in the meantime let’s take a look about what we know so far about the GTX 690.

First and foremost, the GTX 690 won’t be launching until this Thursday (May 3rd), and while we won’t be able to publish our review until then NVIDIA has provided a bounty of information on the GTX 690 ahead of the formal launch. Specs wise – and something they’re trying to make clear from the start – unlike what they did with the GTX 590 NVIDIA is targeting close to full GTX 680 SLI performance here. As GK104 is a much smaller and less power hungry GPU from the get-go, NVIDIA doesn’t have to do nearly as much binning in order to get suitable chips to keep their power consumption in check. With GTX 690 NVIDIA will be able to reach their target TDP of 300W with all functional units enabled and with clockspeeds above 900MHz, which means performance should indeed be much closer to the GTX 680 in SLI than the GTX 590 was to its SLI counterparts.

So I ended up buying that BenQ monitor I mentioned a few pages back (the VA panel with higher response time).

I bought a new video card and monitor today actually. Before taking out my old video card I uninstalled the Catalyst Control manager, went upstairs, came down and it said "installation complete, reboot required" I'm like wtf but shut it down anyway. Then took the GPU out and put the new one in as well as plugged the new monitor in via HDMI.

Upon bootup it installed some drivers for the monitor and then I installed the new ATI drivers. Heres my problem, the picture has borders around it (top and bottom). Text is not clear, it has a slight blur or something it as well.

I set it to 1080p and everything, in the menus I it wont let me stretch the pic and Auto doesn't work in HDMI mode. Overscan set to On reduces the borders by half but I still don't like it. Its like the image is being stretched or something. Anyone have an ideas? I feel like its hardware/drivers issue. I'd like to see it working properly before I return it. I don't want to buy a different model and have the same thing happen. In 1600x900 it fills the borders but not 1080p.

Heres a pic http://i.imgur.com/qUFr1.jpg

From Anandtech....holy shit...looks like they are not handicapped 680 GPU's in the 690!!!

As we mentioned back on Monday, NVIDIA was going to be making some kind of GeForce announcement this evening at the NVIDA Gaming Festival 2012 in Shanghai, China. NVIDIA’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has just finished his speech, announcing NVIDIA’s next ultra-premium video card, the GeForce GTX 690.

Launching later this week, the GeForce GTX 690 will be NVIDIA’s new dual-GPU flagship video card, complementing their existing single-GPU GeForce GTX 680. Equipped with a pair of fully enabled GK104 GPUs, NVIDIA is shooting for GTX 680 SLI performance on a single card, and with GTX 690 they just might get there. We won’t be publishing our review until Thursday, but in the meantime let’s take a look about what we know so far about the GTX 690.

First and foremost, the GTX 690 won’t be launching until this Thursday (May 3rd), and while we won’t be able to publish our review until then NVIDIA has provided a bounty of information on the GTX 690 ahead of the formal launch. Specs wise – and something they’re trying to make clear from the start – unlike what they did with the GTX 590 NVIDIA is targeting close to full GTX 680 SLI performance here. As GK104 is a much smaller and less power hungry GPU from the get-go, NVIDIA doesn’t have to do nearly as much binning in order to get suitable chips to keep their power consumption in check. With GTX 690 NVIDIA will be able to reach their target TDP of 300W with all functional units enabled and with clockspeeds above 900MHz, which means performance should indeed be much closer to the GTX 680 in SLI than the GTX 590 was to its SLI counterparts.

$1000 card incoming.

Hawk269

$1000 card incoming.

That is what it is going to be priced at from what I am reading....(still am reading alot of stuff). It looks like it is slightly lower clock per gpu than a standard 680, but uses 10 power phases which a reference 680 uses 4, so they are giving each GPU 1 extra power phase. In reading the write up at Anandtech, it is rated at 300tdp, but can go up to 375tdp for overclockers.

If you can OC a 690 to match a 680 in speed (reference 680), then it should be interesting for those that ever wanted to go 4-way SLI but dont have the room to do it due to motherboard of case restraint.

Also available May 3 (Thursday).

Now to see what all the partners will do with it.

Hawk269

Nvidia updated their site with more information and also a chart showing a 690 vs. 690 in SLI.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/article-keynote/#sf4056679

GeForce_GTX_690_3qtr.jpg

I knew this was going to happen. I knew I was going to take a chance on the VA panel monitor and fall in love with the colours/contrast/black level and then have to return it because of the abysmal lag. Now I wont be satisfied with the TN panel I'm about to buy :p

Seriously, gorgeous colors, unplayable in games.

mkenyon

Banned
I have just finished trying to fit the H100 in the V700 with a Gene Z77. Does not fit.

Returning the Gene, swapping my Sabertooth into it and going with an air cooler. Definitely not a great case for water of any type. Needs just a smidgen more room above the motherboard and offset the fans on top. Had plans to cut it to get the job done, but I just cant bring myself to do it to the top. One cenimeter would have allowed me to fit in a 30mm thick rad.

V750 for water is looking like the way to go.

Other than this issue, this is my most favorite case Ive ever built in. The modularity and elegance is simply phenomenal. Will post everything tomorrow when I boot up.

Cant believe im going to be using the stock heatsink for a few days.....

Hawk269

From Tom's Hardware....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-690-gk104,3188-2.html

When I first heard about the GeForce GTX 690, it was suggested to me that the card would cost more than two GeForce GTX 680s—already $500 boards. It turns out that it’ll be priced right at $1000, though. Providing it does everything Nvidia says it does, a thousand-dollar price tag makes it an option for two kinds of people.

1.For anyone who was ready to go the 2 x GeForce GTX 680 route right off the bat, this should come close to similar performance, is supposedly quieter, and crams all of the same hardware into a dual-slot form factor. You pay just as much, this card looks cooler, so why not, right?

2.If quad-SLI was ever a serious consideration, this is probably the easiest way to achieve it without sweating your motherboard’s capabilities. With that said, if you’re down to spend two grand on graphics, the thought of X79 and Sandy Bridge-E probably doesn’t bother you much anyway.

I have just finished trying to fit the H100 in the V700 with a Gene Z77. Does not fit.

Returning the Gene, swapping my Sabertooth into it and going with an air cooler. Definitely not a great case for water of any type. Needs just a smidgen more room above the motherboard and offset the fans on top. Had plans to cut it to get the job done, but I just cant bring myself to do it to the top. One cenimeter would have allowed me to fit in a 30mm thick rad.

V750 for water is looking like the way to go.

Other than this issue, this is my most favorite case Ive ever built in. The modularity and elegance is simply phenomenal. Will post everything tomorrow when I boot up.

Cant believe im going to be using the stock heatsink for a few days.....

best case for water IMHO is lian li P80N, although I understand you wanted to do mATX? however I did have to a tiny bit of surgery to get the H100 to fit on top of the case. it was worth it though. all I did was use a zip tie to up the radiator to the case it self. although i am only limited to two fans. I haven't tried to fit more to sandwich them to do pull/push config.

From Tom's Hardware....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-690-gk104,3188-2.html

When I first heard about the GeForce GTX 690, it was suggested to me that the card would cost more than two GeForce GTX 680s—already $500 boards. It turns out that it’ll be priced right at $1000, though. Providing it does everything Nvidia says it does, a thousand-dollar price tag makes it an option for two kinds of people.

1.For anyone who was ready to go the 2 x GeForce GTX 680 route right off the bat, this should come close to similar performance, is supposedly quieter, and crams all of the same hardware into a dual-slot form factor. You pay just as much, this card looks cooler, so why not, right?

2.If quad-SLI was ever a serious consideration, this is probably the easiest way to achieve it without sweating your motherboard’s capabilities. With that said, if you’re down to spend two grand on graphics, the thought of X79 and Sandy Bridge-E probably doesn’t bother you much anyway.

so this confirms that the 680 is the flagship and the 690 is the dual when most were expecting the 690 to be the true flagship card. a *bit* disappointing but getting two of these for quad SLI for 3D on my projector.. *drool* not to mention

Hawk269

so this confirms that the 680 is the flagship and the 690 is the dual when most were expecting the 690 to be the true flagship card. a *bit* disappointing but getting two of these for quad SLI for 3D on my projector.. *drool* not to mention

The 680 is the flagship for now..but they still will release (imho) a higher end card..but with the way the 680 is selling they probably have room to wait and it also depends on what AMD does.

Teknoman

Any thoughts on a good monitor about 21 inches? 23 at biggest (never was a huge fan of giant pc monitors). I havea 26" tv, but it's only 720P and my new PC will be capable of 1080p for most games and I'd like to give it a go if it's not super expensive.

Same here...especially since i'm guessing eventually PC games wont make concessions for 16x10 monitors (seems like they are being phased out?).

Hawk269

Amazon also has Ivy Bridge but for some reason way over-priced. They have the 3770k for $382.97 vs. Newegg at $349.99.

DSN2K

managed to get my x3 455 up to 3.8ghz, not bad for 3 Cores 3 threads! at this speed should last me till next year when I finally dump AM3.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Getting a 3770k. Selling my 2500k for $140 shipped.
That's a good deal on the 2500K for sure.

Just to reiterate, expect about 4.4Ghz (4.5-4.6 SB comparison) on a good voltage 1.10V-1.15V as your overclock (based off previews). Anything above that will spit out a ton of heat and draw a good amount of power.
If you planned to do 4.4 on SB 2600K/2700K then that's fine and Ivy is slightly better for power/speed.

Alrix

So I posted a couple pages back about having a starting-to-get-outdated-a-little gaming laptop (asus g60vx) and I've got the itch to upgrade. I was weighing salvaging my laptop parts to make a new desktop cost less/have more power but was sad to learn aside from the hard drive I couldn't salvage any of the parts.

What do you guys think I should do? I have the money to put together a decent rig, plus if I'd ebay my laptop or something I could get a decent chunk of cash for it. I'm a little wary because I'm not a huge PC gamer, I usually try MMOs every now and then, plus I'm hyped for planetside 2, but aside from that I don't PC game very much, so I'm not sure it would be smart to drop a lot of money on a new desktop (a lot in this case being about a grand) for something I won't get full use out of. Like I said I have the money, but with no job I feel like I should be conservative with the monies.

What about upgrading a laptop? Is that a viable option? Could I just upgrade a few parts?

ParityBit

Couple more questions:

1. Do you use a mouse surface, or just use your desk top? By mouse surface I mean something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HTDBWI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (or some other suggestion)
  2. Do you put your rig on the floor or up on your desk? Specifically full towers.
  3. Anyone use the monitor arms to save space on the desk? If so which? (I have a 27 and 24 monitor)

Thanks!

EDIT: Added another question

Feep

Banned
Yayyyy, ordered all my stuff!

^^

So excited. I haven't had a top-of-the-line machine since 2008. This is gonna be awesome.

Mostly unrelated: I'm planning to do a full Windows reinstall because, you know, why not. Should I try Windows 8 Consumer Preview? Or no?

So, i just started making a new config, you guys can give me some input?

Case: FRACTAL DESIGN Define Mini
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX560 TI 448 TWIN FROZR III OC 1GB DDR5 PCI-E
CPU: INTEL Core i5 2400 3.10GHz 6MB Socket 1155 BOX
RAM: 2x CORSAIR XMS3 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 PC10600
PSU: NOX Hummer M 550W 140mm (Modular)
Motherboard: Still haven't decided, if you guys could give me some advice on this
HDD: Most likely a samsung f4 2tb

So, to put some things in perspective:
1-i decided to make a mATX configuration because i just want something small, don't have any need for big cases
2-kinda going for nvidia, haven't had good experiences with ati drivers and new games in general
3-on the cpu side, i don't think i'm planning on overclocking so i just went with the cheaper version
4-Went with corsair 1333mhz, is there really no noticeable difference with higher clocked ones?

MrBig

Me thinks it's been conveniently disabled. I've tried Firefox and Explorer. Can get other products to work, but when I click the price match for the processors, I can't get the final link to actually work.

I can't get it to work again either. My card hasn't been charged yet so hopefully they honor the order

LordAlu

Yayyyy, ordered all my stuff!

^^

So excited. I haven't had a top-of-the-line machine since 2008. This is gonna be awesome.

Mostly unrelated: I'm planning to do a full Windows reinstall because, you know, why not. Should I try Windows 8 Consumer Preview? Or no?
I'd stick to Windows 7 64bit myself, I have Windows 8 CP on my desktop and laptop and rarely if ever use it. It would be great for a touch machine like a tablet, but for your home desktop I'd just use Windows 7.

Type_Raver

Building a new system, just awaiting my parts, should arrive this week some time. Havent read through the thread, but are we posting benchies (benchmark score) of our systems in this thread, or in another?

Heres the parts im getting:

CPU - Intel i7 3930k
M/B – Asus P9X79 Pro
RAM – G-Skill 4x4GB RAM 12800/1600
Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-Ray Disc Writer
Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU cooler
Lian Li PC-Z70 Black USB3.0 Case

Ill be using some existing parts from my old PC, which include the HDD's, Enermax Gold Modu 87+ 900w PSU and ATI 6970 2GB card.

Mainly upgrading due to Photoshop requirements and processing Nikon D800 images. Also comes in handy for gaming and emulation :D

MrBig

I can't get it to work again either. My card hasn't been charged yet so hopefully they honor the order

Alright, with this looking bleak I sent in a ticket (call centers closed today) to get the order canceled.

The Microcenter deal now applies online. $190 for the 3570k and $50 off a Z77 board. About to put in an order for a 3570k at $190 and a Asus Z77-V Pro for $170.

I was trying to order from microcenter and it gave me a processing error, "We're sorry. A processing error occurred. Please try again." so I did foolishly and it gave me the same error. Now I have two pending payments for 0.00.

Not sure if these will eventually resolve or if I need to get them reversed.

Edit: And now they removed the i5 from the cart. Must have been an error to have it on the webstore at cheap.

Why did this have to be on a sunday?? No online stores have customer service today. I got a "Billing address could not be verified" error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom