• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaving-GAF, help me out please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Shaving-GAF/Skincare-GAF/whatever-GAF, I need help. Know there have been shaving threads before, but didn’t want to bump a random one.

It’s been years of horrible shaving for me and it’s finally time to get things right. Was using a rotary electric for years growing up and while it “worked”, I eventually realized it was a big cause of my acne because of the way my facial hair is, and how it pulled the hair moreso than cutting it. I’ve tried using those multiblade razors as well, but those are horrible for me since I have ingrown hairs and it’s all a big mess trying to get multi blades to not get stuck and pull on the hair as well. All I’m doing now is destroying my face with a trimmer so it doesn’t get out of hand, but it feels like a temporary solution.

I’ve read a lot about safety razors here and figure it’s time to take the jump into buying one, but man I’m terrified of cutting my face up bad or something. I guess it’s not as terrifying as it seems just because they are used commonly, also wonder how I’ll get those precise areas like my chin and all that. I guess it just takes some practice.

Here’s a pic of me today at work with the mess I have on my face and what I have to deal with.
My god it looks awful, I want it to go away

http://i.imgur.com/cvMus.jpg

TL;DR.. just wondering if a safety blade is the answer to my problems of finally getting back to a smooth shave in a worst case scenario of having horrible facial hair that doesn’t seem to like any method or being cut. Having sensitive skin/oily skin doesn’t help much either.

Guevara

Shave in the shower, it makes the process a lot easier. Use a gel shaving cream and a simple 1 or 2 bladed disposable razor.

EDIT: and use a new razor once a week

Levyne

Banned
Try shaving after washing your face while in the shower. Works for me. I just use something like a pro glide or mach 3 or something. Don't have to use gel.

I'd use a clipper or something to get the stubble down a bit and then use a safety razor in the shower. Just soak your face a bit before you get started. I find that if you go 2-3 days without shaving and the stubble gets long, safety razor pulls a lot, and the hairs get stuck inside and start jabbing your face.

also I do this and it works to a point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc

LordCanti

I've been using a disposable without issue for years. Not sure why I'd need to switch to a straight edge or safety razor (not sure what's safe about a bare razor blade..).

Have you tried going with the grain? Supposedly that helps prevent ingrown hairs. I've been going against the grain for years though, and I've never had that problem. I think the key is lathering up properly, honestly.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Shave in the shower, it makes the process a lot easier. Use a gel shaving cream and a simple 1 or 2 bladed disposable razor.

EDIT: and use a new razor once a week

This is what I do. I buy the inexpensive Bic disposable razors for sensitive skin and keep a moisturizing shaving gel in the shower. The expensive shaving systems always irritate my skin.

The best thing you can do is shave 3 days after your last shave, put shaving cream, use water and spread the shaving cream. Let the shaving cream for 5 minutes before shaving so your skin become softer. Use any raiser. I use Gillette Mach 3 turbo. It´s very good raiser and you don´t have to shave the same spot over and over. That´s how do it, and i never cut myself.

This is going to sound crazy but I don't give a shit.

You should really try using a shaving brush combined with only shaving after you shower. I personally use the stuff from the art of shaving. I know it is VERY overpriced, but I only shave once a week. My big kit has lasted me about 6 months so far and I have only used around 30% of it.

Here is what I recommend. Yes 100 is insane, but if you use it like I do it will last a very, very long time. Also, you can typically find this stuff on sale. I know that Ulta currently has a 20% coupon, and they do carry the line now.

I swear I have a had a night and day difference since using this stuff. My bear grows in much nicer, and the skin on my face is always great.

ShaneB

The thing about the multiblade razors like a mach 3, is that my facial hair is basically whiskers, going off in all sorts of different directions. Hairs get caught and it becomes torture as hair is pulling left and right and all sorts of directions.

Excko

I had the same problem as you. The solution is : move to wet shave.

Use a decent safety rezor. THis is the one I use : Merkur HD

Also, use a badger hair shaving brush with good quality shaving cream.
Again this is what I use : Shaving Soap and Brush

Also, read this. Really good article on wet shaving.

Switching to wet-shaving really changed it for me. I used to hate shaving because I would get razor burns and ingrown hair, and since I switched, i almost look forward to shaving.

It might be a bit of an initial investment, but once you have it, you can get a pack of 10 razors for under 10$

DonCuco

I've been shaving with a safety razor now for close to five years , and I would never go back to anything else. Yes there is a learning curve , but you will not regret it.

I've been shaving with a safety razor now for close to five years , and I would never go back to anything else. Yes there is a learning curve , but you will not regret it.

Yeah I am going to look into the safety razor this weekend. I already am game with the shaving brush and whatnot, but I am tired of clogging my fusion multiblade razor with my thick facial hair.

Any good relatively cheap (~50USD) razors you can suggest?

way more

I think you are going to need to commit more to face care. That means twice daily washing with a good face soap, applying skin toner, then a acne face lotion. It's pretty much what you buy from proactive but you buy it separatly. This routine is what will treat the ingrown hairs more than your shaving style.

And the suggestions about shaving in the shower? Crappy advice, at least explain why. The shower provides plenty of hot water and steam to get your face ready. I don't have a shower mirror anymore so I shave right after. From the shower I re-rinse with hot water right before applying shave gel, then let that sit for two minutes. The prep is the most important thing about the shave.

This is the best face wash for my money.

l27orealgoclean2010sneakpeek1.jpg

That little "scrublet" not only washes well but it means you can just just a drop and get a nice thick foam. But make sure all your products say something about preventing "acne" and contain salic acid.

ShaneB

I had the same problem as you. The solution is : move to wet shave.

Use a decent safety rezor. THis is the one I use : Merkur HD

Also, use a badger hair shaving brush with good quality shaving cream.
Again this is what I use : Shaving Soap and Brush

Also, read this. Really good article on wet shaving.

Switching to wet-shaving really changed it for me. I used to hate shaving because I would get razor burns and ingrown hair, and since I switched, i almost look forward to shaving.

It might be a bit of an initial investment, but once you have it, you can get a pack of 10 razors for under 10$

Great post and exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks so much. That razor I'm familiar with, was looking at Merkur stuff from a site here in Canada, so I'll probably get that.

If you're having trouble with multiblade razors, a DE safety razor isn't going to be any better. The only reason I see to use a DE razor, is because the blades are cheaper than something like Gillette M3 Powers. But you can get just as good a shave with either.

It doesn't look like you have kinky hair. So, I'm guessing it has more to do with your shaving methods. Don't let the hair grow too long, before shaving. That contributes to the pulling-effect you're experiencing. On the first pass, shave in the same direction that your hair grows. Only shave against the growth if you need a closer shave, and only on the last pass. Don't be too aggressive, and don't shave too often. I find I can shave as often as every other day, without irritating my skin too much. I usually do 3 days, though. Remember, not too often, but don't let the hair get too long, either.

I also shave in the shower, like others suggested. It really helps to soften the hair and skin, before going to town on your face.

Also, the better quality the blade, the better the shave. If it's too dull, and you can't hone it on your arm or a cork, toss it. You may want to try different blades/razors, until you find what works best, for you. It's different for everyone. I personally like Gillette M3 Powers, which are hard to find, compared to Mach 3s or Fusions. For DE blades, I prefer Feathers.

edit: If you're going the DE route, I'd recommend buying a used Gillette, before a Merkur. The Gillettes are a lot less aggressive, and you WILL draw blood, if you've never used a DE before.

A traditional safety razor wet shave is far and away the best shave. I have cut myself exactly one time since switching and that was due to carelessness.

rvy

Banned
l27orealgoclean2010sneakpeek1.jpg

That little "scrublet" not only washes well but it means you can just just a drop and get a nice thick foam. But make sure all your products say something about preventing "acne" and contain salic acid.
I might buy this... just for the hell of it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

ShaneB

Information about facial care and cleaning.

Thanks for this as well, makes sense too. I'll see if I find that facial cleanser as well and give it a try.

If you're having trouble with multiblade razors, a DE safety razor isn't going to be any better. The only reason I see to use a DE razor, is because the blades are cheaper than something like Gillette M3 Powers. But you can get just as good a shave with either.

It doesn't look like you have kinky hair. So, I'm guessing it has more to do with your shaving methods. Don't let the hair grow too long, before shaving. That contributes to the pulling-effect you're experiencing. On the first pass, shave in the same direction that your hair grows. Only shave against the growth if you need a closer shave, and only on the last pass. Don't be too aggressive, and don't shave too often. I find I can shave as often as every other day, without irritating my skin too much. I usually do 3 days, though. Remember, not too often, but don't let the hair get too long, either.

I also shave in the shower, like others suggested. It really helps to soften the hair and skin, before going to town on your face.

Also, the better quality the blade, the better the shave. If it's too dull, and you can't hone it on your arm or a cork, toss it. You may want to try different blades/razors, until you find what works best, for you. It's different for everyone. I personally like Gillette M3 Powers, which are hard to find, compared to Mach 3s or Fusions. For DE blades, I prefer Feathers.

edit: If you're going the DE route, I'd recommend buying a used Gillette, before a Merkur. The Gillettes are a lot less aggressive, and you WILL draw blood, if you've never used a DE before.

And this post just scares em again into wondering what the heck I'm doing! lol You mentioned not having kinky hair? Could you explain that?

THIS.

You can get a Merkur razor for around $30.

100 Derby blades for maybe $20.

I like Colonel Conk's soap.

I will never go back. Enjoy the gear, the ritual, but most importantly, the results.

The way my face feels after using a safety razor is amazing. Soft yet firm at the same time.

Gillettte can go to hell with their $20.00 razor packs!!!!!

I grew up using safety razors, now I use a straight razor. I have beard hairs thick as tree trunks, ingrown hairs and I am prone to acne. The straight razor has improved things immensely.

• Wash face with hot water or hold a hot rag over face. I'd shave after the shower, but I do a James Bond shower because I'm awesome so it doesn't matter.
  • Use a pre-shave oil.
  • Use a shaving soap/cream with a brush.
  • Straight razor shave. It's easier than you think. Use short light strokes. It takes longer than other methods but is pretty relaxing. With the grain, across the grain then against the grain. It will be the closest shave you ever get.
  • Post shave use a cold rag or alum block on your face to sooth it.
  • Post shave moisturize.

Thank me later.

way more

I might buy this... just for the hell of it.

I'm gonna expand on this.

ertise-Go-360-Clean-Anti-Breakout-Facial-Cleanser-300x300.jpg

The wash. Great stuff because it's cost effective when you use the scrubber.

Facial-Toner2.jpg

The toner. Applied with cotton rounds.

FSC506.jpg

I have no clue what this stuff does, all I know is that it helps and it makes your skin look tighter and feel cleaner.

cleanclear_oilfreedualaction_enlarge.jpg

The lotion

All Pro-active does is put these products in the same box. Additionally, I just buy generic brands of the toner and lotion. All you need to do is make sure they contain salicylic acid and say something to the effect of "acne treatment" on the front.

Red

I dab isopropyl alcohol on my face a couple times after shaving. I have thick, strong facial hair and my skin gets very irritated it I don't use alcohol afterwards. It burns, but I don't think there is any way around it for people like me. I've tried powders, creams, oils, everything you can think of. Only alcohol works.

This is what I've bought most recently, and it's given me good results.

I also use a salicylic acid face wash.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Try shaving after washing your face while in the shower. Works for me. I just use something like a pro glide or mach 3 or something. Don't have to use gel.

Yep, for that length, use a trimmer. Then when you get out of the shower, use a sensitive skin gel to foam up real well, then use a multiblade razor. One side of my neck gets crazy red bumps if I use shaving cream or gel with fragrance and colorants, so I use sensitive skin stuff and shave daily with 0 issues.

Or go get a shave at a barber shop, and after that you should be able to use a regular multiblade razor no issue.

Another thing, washing your face....

Clarisonic-for-Men.jpg

An ex girlfriend got me one of these Clarisonic scrubbers and it's pretty awesome. Find a face cleanser that works for you and use one of these.

Zampano

Serious question. Is there a reason we can't use Veet or Imac? I have been using it on my balls for some time and have been pleased with the results. For some reason the idea of using it on my face is strange.

Serious question. Is there a reason we can't use Veet or Imac? I have been using it on my balls for some time and have been pleased with the results. For some reason the idea of using it on my face is strange.

The skin on your face is much more sensitive and acne prone. Using veet or nair or whatever is going to iritate your skin, cause acne, and it's definitely not something your want near your eyes.

By all means thoug, give it a try and let us know how it works out for you :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
this is my daily regiment, i had horrible razor bumps and ingrown hairs before i learned that the small things matter.

-soak face/chin with warm water
-use your favorite facial soap to clean your face (wash in circular downward motions)
-wash face with warm water
-use shave gel or hair conditioner, rub into face with circular motion
-shave, going with the grain. never against the grain.
-wash face with cold water
-apply aftershave or lotion, i personally like this product called bio-oil from amazon. expensive though.

Zampano

Good lord, you must have a callused nutsack.

Nope, soft and smooth! It's some wash off in the shower stuff the good lady uses. Pop it on, wait 4 minutes and get in the shower. Job done.

Groinal grooming aside, I'm very tempted to go the safety razor route (on my face!) so this thread is helpful.

Ptaaty

Recommend you try any of the newer panasonics. They work wet or dry and are about the only thing my face handles without turning into a red bumpy mess.

Check tech bargains for a good deal.

Use a standard steel safety razor handle with these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BRETQU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Some dandy-ish shaving soap I get from a local barber. I cut myself less than I did with multi-blade gimmicks probably because I pay a little more attention. No issues with chin/lip/etc., just pay attention.

Thinking of getting a proper straight razor sometime once I learn WTF stropping is.

los

I use an Edwin Jagger DE86 (not with the blades in that picture). I also have a brush and mug to lather up with, and a few different shaving creams.

If you decide to go with a safety razor, you should pick up a sample pack of blades from www.westcoastshaving.com (or somewhere else, or just buy a bunch of different types) to find ones that work best for your face/razor. My preferences so far are Gillette Yellows and the Personna Lab Blues. I'm pretty sure that with the right blades you shouldn't get any pulling.

41kFonefyHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thinking of getting a proper straight razor sometime once I learn WTF stropping is.

It's easy and you only need to do it every so often, like every seven shaves or so. You get a leather strap, they make them specially for straight razors. You lay the razor flat and lightly drag the razor across the strap, roll the razor over on it's backside and drag it back. You do this like 7-10 times to sharpen the razor; takes less than a minute.

You can do this with disposable and safety razors to sharpen the blade(s) and you don't need a strap. Just use your inner forearm. Drag the razor down your arm the opposite direction of the blade several times and it will sharpen up.

way more

this is my daily regiment, i had horrible razor bumps and ingrown hairs before i learned that the small things matter.

-soak face/chin with warm water
-use your favorite facial soap to clean your face (wash in circular downward motions)
-use shave gel or hair conditioner, rub into face with circular motion
-shave, going with the grain. never with the grain.
-wash face with cold water
-apply aftershave or lotion, i personally like this product called bio-oil from amazon. expensive though.

I think as long as you follow this protocol it doesn't matter what sort of blade you are using as long as it's a good one.

Personally, Mach 3 Power for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom