• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "return" of Final Fantasy X (PS3, VITA) still in early sevelopment stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
I looked it up, it's actually impossible for this to have been SQenix being bullish based on Vita sales. The original German site posted this news on the 26th, that would be 9 days after Vita was released, and only 7 days after we got Vita numbers. No monthly print magazine can still write articles a week before publishing.

Shepard

I looked it up, it's actually impossible for this to have been SQenix being bullish based on Vita sales. The original German site posted this news on the 26th, that would be 9 days after Vita was released, and only 7 days after we got Vita numbers. No monthly print magazine can still write articles a week before publishing.

That totally invalidates my point then, not that it was strong to begin with :lol:

Consider me very happy if this is a visual remake in the same vein as Halo: Anniversary. I have no interest in just resolution boosts. That's what emulators are for.

This could be great. Square Enix should give FF XII a remake too. I want to try out that international edition.

Luthos

I wonder how much of a "remake" we are talking about. FFX is one of the less-needed remakes in the series. All it needs is the HD treatment. Same with FFXII.

I can't wait until they remake everything but FFVII.

Takao

Banned
That totally invalidates my point then, not that it was strong to begin with :lol:

Well it seemed pretty silly given FFX HD shouldn't be an expensive project, lol. If this was a full remake and Vita exclusive Square Enix being a bit bullish would make sense, but it's neither.

FFXII should come first because of 2 reasons.

1) There's the much improved International version which was never released here
2) XII already looks gorgeous and a simple HD treatment is all that's needed

I really want to play the international version too.../sigh

The thing has been out for 2 weeks, and this game is multi-platform. Vita's health ain't got nothing to do with it. This is the same company that spends 5 years making a single PSP game. Their crappy management has more to do with it.

Unsurprisingly, Vita now has another major thing in common with 3DS' pre-price-cut status quo: every bit of remotely negative news about it or its software will be categorized as a consequence of the sales figures, regardless of how illogical the connection is.

watershed

Banned
If the release date is mid 2012 and they are still in the "early stages" then it definitely sounds more like a remaster than a remake.

Alrus

What a weird title to chose for a remake (if it's a remake).

But then again they want this out in 2012? It's most likely a HD port then.

a remake?

that seems like a lot of work.

I just hope they just do a straight HD remaster of XII at some point. I never played more then 15 hours of it and always wanted to finish it.

What a weird title to chose for a remake (if it's a remake).

But then again they want this out in 2012? It's most likely a HD port then.
FFX was one of the more popular games in the series, and as the first fully 3D game in the series, it's a lot less work to remake than any of the 2D/3D mix games from the PS1 era.

Takao

Banned
Unsurprisingly, Vita now has another major thing in common with 3DS' pre-price-cut status quo: every bit of remotely negative news about it or its software will be categorized as a consequence of the sales figures, regardless of how illogical the connection is.

It's going to be up to Sony to change this perception fast. I don't think Vita's price will be as much as an issue as its software. They need relevant games, and they need them fast.

Ezduo

Banned
Oh dear. I hope this doesn't turn out into another Resident Evil for the PSP that never gets released or Gran Turismo in that they do eventually put it out but years later.

ReaperXL7

If this turns out to be an actual remake, I think SE will end up catching alot of flak when you consider that most FF fans would probably actually prefer a remake of VII/VIII from the PS1. Personally I wish SE would do an HD remake of FFIV but thats only going to occur in my dreams.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm guessing "remake" like Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath "remake".

Although I think they'll actually remake the pre-rendered areas in this game, there's a number of them there though. Also probably HD-fy the glorious cutscenes.

Hype x 100000000

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This is the same company that is still making Versus XIII. This is just normal procedure for craping out effortless HD ports for Square.

Isn't this their first HD port (not including the Eidos stuff)?

Their non-HD ports/remakes aren't that shoddy actually (except some of the iOS games like Legend of Mana and Chrono Trigger). The Dragon Quest NDS Zenith trilogy was pretty nice (though VI had lost its graphical charm, I liked the port since I never played DQVI on the SNES) and FFIV PSP looked great.

monome

Will the game run on their new Lumia engine? is it scalable ala MT Framework.

Square Enix has become dev' Hell, they announce games, keep announcing games, even tease games, even tease possible upcoming remakes and get all the shit they deserve for not even coming cloe to deliver on their promises.

Only game I'm interested in is Tomb Raider, and the fabled DQX for WiiU (which will face not only WoW, but SWOR, DCU and probably Bungie's next big thing...so good luck with getting western gamers)

Aeana

Good opportunity to give some new actors a crack at the Tidus and Yuna laughing scene.

It wasn't the actors' fault at all. The voice direction in the game is the problem.
Both James Arnold Taylor and Hedy Burress have done great jobs with other games - in fact, Hedy even did Yuna way better in FF10-2.

That said, of all of the scenes in the game, the laughing scene is actually the most true to the original. It's just supposed to be a corny scene.

Everyone always brings up that the terribad laughing scene, but it's as bad or worse in Japanese. I'd blame the director/writers for that horrible thing.

Replace the Tidus model with that one from the Beta video, please.

It wasn't the actors' fault at all. The voice direction in the game is the problem.
Both James Arnold Taylor and Hedy Burress have done great jobs with other games - in fact, Hedy even did Yuna way better in FF10-2.

That said, of all of the scenes in the game, the laughing scene is actually the most true to the original. It's just supposed to be a corny scene.
Didn't Blaustein, or whoever localised it, explain in an interview about the process that a lot of the voice acting problems were technical ones? They were limited to an amount of seconds in which to deliver dialog so it either had to be chopped up or had to be rushed to adhere to the timeframe. That and the script was rushed and made up on the spot some of the time.
I remember reading this, or I made it up.

FFXII should come first because of 2 reasons.

1) There's the much improved International version which was never released here
2) XII already looks gorgeous and a simple HD treatment is all that's needed

Yes please. I would forgive Squeenix for FFXIII if they did this...And brought Matsuno back ;-;

ULTROS!

Didn't Blaustein, or whoever localised it, explain in an interview about the process that a lot of the voice acting problems were technical ones? They were limited to an amount of seconds in which to deliver dialog so it either had to be chopped up or had to be rushed to adhere to the timeframe. That and the script was rushed and made up on the spot some of the time.
I remember reading this, or I made it up.

I know that a few dialogues have changed. Such as in the ending where Yuna says
"I love you" instead of "Thank you" (JP).

Laguna

Banned

This likely means that they wanted to see PSVitas performance first before ramping up development. If it is a multiplatform game development costs for the Vita port won´t be high but they don´t make a PSVita just for fun, if the userbase isn´t to their liking they´ll just release both versions later.

The laugh was uncomfortable on purpose. Even the Japanese original is the same shit, if not worse (Tidus sounds like a crow)
There's even an awkward stare from the whole party, followed by Wakka stating "We thought you guys had gone crazy". Yuna even stops Tidus from his horrific laugh, "Um, you probably shouldn't laugh anymore"

Do people honestly think it was the way it is from bad acting/direction? It was intentional!

Aeana

The laugh was uncofortable on purpose. Even the Japanese original is the same shit, if not worse (Tidus sounds like a crow)
There's even an awkward stare from the whole party, followed by Wakka stating "We thought you guys had gone crazy". Yuna even stops Tidus from his horrific laugh, "Um, you probably shouldn't laugh anymore"

Do people honestly think it was the way it is from bad acting/direction? It was intentional!

Yes, it was intentional, but FF10 does have poor voice direction.

Valnen

But designing "a full remake" for the Vita when you're only going to make money on the PS3 isn't a good choice, it would just dumb the game down and probably hurt ps3 sales too.

Uhh, the whole point of the Vita is that they don't have to dumb down games for it.

Valnen

It's clearly going to be more than just a HD port, but I doubt they're doing a complete remake.

They probably have to re-render the FMV's and backgrounds, at a minimum. That's going to take a bit of work.

Or they could go nuts and remake it with luminous engine and put out the best PS4 game ever. Who knows =p.

Anteater

Upgrading the in game models (and some slowdowns when they used the high poly models), and improving some animations would be cool, those were the only things that bugged me graphically when I played it back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom