• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Anyone have impressions of Macross DYRL? I'm thinking of getting it and not sure of it based on the footage I've seen.

It's got great presentation, really easy though even at harder levels. Usually goes for cheap anyways so it's worth having in the collection. It was pretty popular here at our anime meetings, understandably.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
For the second question : just buy a step-down converter, from 110V to 220V, you don't need a powerful unit, the one I used until I lived in my home country was a 50W which was able to let work even the PS2

Btw, can I use a north american adaptor? Or is there trouble with the AC/DC things like on the Famicom and Nes?

IrishNinja

Random fact: At a very specific time of day, starting a Story Mode game in Saturn Bomberman will give you 6 lives at the beginning instead of 3.

haha what? that's awesome

Agreed, it's the best Bomberman, shame hardly anyone has ever played it. Cover art is attractive to look at as well.

500px-Saturn_Bomberman_US_Box.jpg

is this game still a bajillion dollars though
cause right now it's getting the same treatment on my shelf as Shining Force III: bought the JP ones, burned an english copy to toss in there with em

is this game still a bajillion dollars though
cause right now it's getting the same treatment on my shelf as Shining Force III: bought the JP ones, burned an english copy to toss in there with em

It was going for around $100 till recently where it shot up to $200. Don't know why, I'm sure someone did a video about it or something. Makes me mad I didn't go for it when I almost had it at around $140 a year ago.

MikeMyers

Yeah, would have been better had I ha a Saturn back in the day where they weren't so expensive.

Here in the UK I don't remember anyone talking about it, or the N64 for the matter. It was like Mega Drive Vs. PlayStation for the most part

Btw, can I use a north american adaptor? Or is there trouble with the AC/DC things like on the Famicom and Nes?

what do you mean for N-A adaptor ?

if you live in North America I think you don't need any step-down, cause voltage is 110v as in Japan

if you just want to connect your jpn SS to a step-down by an american cord, that's not a problem, cause the plug is the same

anyway, the cord cable is the same for all regions cause it's just a cable which connects the system to the power source, the only difference is the plug (JPN / US vs. UE vs. UK); so if you live in UE and don't use a step-down your SS set to receive 110v input will get a 220v power and it will burn instantly

MikeMyers

Almost done with Zwei.

It seems like Zwei is higher regarded, but judging from the videos I watched of the original PD, I think I'd like that better. The art direction and music seems to appeal to me more.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Almost done with Zwei.

It seems like Zwei is higher regarded, but judging from the videos I watched of the original PD, I think I'd like that better. The art direction and music seems to appeal to me more.

All I remember is that the framerate on the first game is a lot worse in comparison, enough to bother me.

IrishNinja

Do you really need English for Bomberman, though? I bought the JP release.

yeah, true - but there's a few more levels too

The letters 'T', 'H', 'E', 'M', 'E' all glow, in that order. If I had to guess, it would be that the Sega console themes are coming to the NA/EU 3DS store... (Sorry if OT)

oh man would buy - actually was thinking about importing the physical cart with them on em now that we've got homebrew

oh man would buy - actually was thinking about importing the physical cart with them on em now that we've got homebrew
Doesn't matter. The homebrew loader will take you to the main menu, but when you select any game other than Space Harrier u get a black screen and software lock.

Both games for $10 are worth it, I suppose. Clockwork 2 is the better game even though they are mostly identical. Bosses are cool but the music makes my ears bleed.

Yeah, that's worth it. CK1 is ridiculously easy, even on Hard, but CK2 is pretty legitimate. Shame it's so short, though. Also kind of disappointing that all the between-stage dialog from the Japanese version got cut out instead of properly localized.

Oh, and CK2 has a second playable character in The Bosses!, which is kind of interesting.
Actually in the main game, too, if you enter the Konami Code on the title screen for Part 2.

Yeah, the Clockwork Knight games are simple fun. For that price, certainly get them if you like platformers.

As for Saturn Bomberman... those desired Saturn games keep going up and up in price, don't they. I have quite a few Saturn games, but I don't have any of the really valuable ones, unfortunately -- Saturn Bomberman (US), PDS (US), Burning Rangers (US), Radiant Silvergun, and such. The most valuable Saturn games I have are stuff like Mega Man 8 (US ver.), Bulk Slash, and Soukyugurentai Otokuyo... and note that I paid $50 for MM8 a few years ago, not what it goes for now. I should just get a Japanese copy of Saturn Bomberman sometime; even if I would rather have the US version, for English text and the added multiplayer stages, it's not worth the huge cost.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Winning a free copy of Saturn Bomberman through a sega.com promotional contest on its release is still one of my best gets.

Too bad I didn't get the trick question, though, or else I probably would have gotten a totally rad Bomberman leather jacket to go with it.

IrishNinja

^damn that's awesome, what was the question? best ive heard since Mzo got & gave a way a Burning Rangers with a Team Sega letter...still bummed

on the brighter side, a dude on SHMUPs replied to a message from like a year ago offering a manulless copy of Konami Antiques for $20 shipped, so i can take that one off my list! feels good

Wow, I found some backup VCD's of the two Zuntata concerts I made years ago.. I have to clean my room tonight, so I think I'll play those on the Saturn while I clean..

cj_iwakura

Wow, I found some backup VCD's of the two Zuntata concerts I made years ago.. I have to clean my room tonight, so I think I'll play those on the Saturn while I clean..

Wow, I thought only the Sega CD was good for that. (Also, envious.)

Me and my friend both have Shining Force III and Shining the Holy Ark and are blown away by how much they've skyrocketed in price.

He still sometimes offers to buy my Burning Rangers, heh. I've had it and STHA since they came out, so neither is in exactly pristine shape(it was before I got hardcore into collecting).

Wow, I thought only the Sega CD was good for that. (Also, envious.)

Me and my friend both have Shining Force III and Shining the Holy Ark and are blown away by how much they've skyrocketed in price.

He still sometimes offers to buy my Burning Rangers, heh. I've had it and STHA since they came out, so neither is in exactly pristine shape(it was before I got hardcore into collecting).

Sega CD never did VCD playback though?

I have a Twin Operator card on my JP Saturn, it's pretty nice. I used to have Who Am I and Replacement Killers among other VCD's but those are long gone. Now I just have Lunar MPEG and Valtva, and now this VCD.

cj_iwakura

Are you sure you don't have it confused with the Philips CD-I or 3DO?

Positive.

Oh, I'm thinking of CD+G. Totally different. :p

Sega_CD_2-UI.png

Took me a while to realize it didn't mean I could play music videos with any CD... I was a silly kid.

(Do we even have a Sega CD community thread? We should!)

Positive.

Oh, I'm thinking of CD+G. Totally different. :p

Sega_CD_2-UI.png

Took me a while to realize it didn't mean I could play music videos with any CD... I was a silly kid.

Ok! I was like wait what? :) Of course someone being crazy and going back and making an adapter to do such a thing now would not be a surprise to me.

IrishNinja

+1 - i love the Sega-CD hard

we've talked about it lots in the genesis thread but please believe i'd support/be all over an SCD one.

I'm pretty surprised by how hard it to find a boxed Saturn in Tokyo (or even one without a box!). I've been to several game/recycle shops without seeing any. Super Potato has a stack of 'em sans box, but that's all I've seen.

I'm pretty surprised by how hard it to find a boxed Saturn in Tokyo (or even one without a box!). I've been to several game/recycle shops without seeing any. Super Potato has a stack of 'em sans box, but that's all I've seen.
Fewer and fewer JP Saturns are actually in Japan, according to what I've read. Makes sense when you consider the popularity of imports.

Teknoman

With Sega systems being pretty easy to play imports on, that's kinda surprising. Unless they just like the different color scheme.

Top Bottom