• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2012 | Fighting game tournament | January 6-8

No, there are way more entrants for SF and Marvel than that. 32 and 57 are how many registered online. Most entrants registered at the door for the 2D fighters.

But still, yeah, this is mostly a smash tournament. There are 410 entrants for Brawl and 331 for Melee (only cause Melee was relegated to Friday, a work day, and Brawl got Saturday...). Plus the fighting game people, the spectators, and pokemon people, I'd say there are 1100+ ppl in the venue.

GAWT DAYUM, I had no idea how huge Smash Brothers could be. Outside of EVO, only SSF4 from Season's Beatings Redemption had more players for a single game(420). But it's easier when there community is centered on one franchise instead of people constantly branching off from SF in the regular FGC.

It'll probably end up as the biggest tournament of the EVO season. Just not for the games actually at EVO lol.

Well I'm looking at the list and you're probably right. Nothing else will break 1000 on that list, although several will come somewhat close. I guess that's the power of combining Smash and FG community together.

USD

Yeah, I'm confused as to why it's even part of the EVO series.

It might not end up the biggest tournament for non-Smash, but there will definitely be some players there. Sanford, Jeron, Min, and Arturo will be there. AG will be there. I'm pretty sure Dieminion, Noel Brown, MastaCJ, and others will show up too.

There must be some seriously bad blood between the communities for Smash to be ignored when it can pull such good numbers. The stream topped out at 5k yesterday which was pretty surprising to say the least. The game can draw good numbers at Apex and EVO numbers could easily be larger than MK for either smash from hype alone.

USD

Oh wow, so Brawl and Melee use completely different rulesets? I just saw the Ledge Grab Limit rule for Brawl:

There is a 40 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.

Granted, it only comes into play for timeouts, but still, seems like an odd rule.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There must be some seriously bad blood between the communities for Smash to be ignored when it can pull such good numbers. The stream topped out at 5k yesterday which was pretty surprising to say the least. The game can draw good numbers at Apex and EVO numbers could easily be larger than MK for either smash from hype alone.

Lots of bad blood. Particularly over rules.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh wow, so Brawl and Melee use completely different rulesets? I just saw the Ledge Grab Limit rule for Brawl:

Granted, it only comes into play for timeouts, but still, seems like an odd rule.

There was a time when people used the ledge grab constantly to stall. A person would get a slight lead then "plank". Grabbing and letting go of a ledge gives you a number of invincibility frames and if timed right can be nearly impenetrable.

I think this is possible in Melee too, but it never really became a problem since Melee is a lot more rushdown than the slower pace of Brawl.

GAWT DAYUM, I had no idea how huge Smash Brothers could be. Outside of EVO, only SSF4 from Season's Beatings Redemption had more players for a single game(420). But it's easier when there community is centered on one franchise instead of people constantly branching off from SF in the regular FGC.

Yeah, Smash regularly pulls these numbers. Melee alone has had 60 majors in its history...its been quietly having big tournaments for 10 years now lol.

Eh, most of it actually isn't bad blood. As someone who knows all the people involved (from the smash side and the FGC side), most of it is logistics. Smash can pull in such monstrous numbers that EVO is legitimately afraid of fitting all of them....if smash was announced for EVO, either game, you can damn well be sure it would shatter even the impressive numbers here. When Melee was at EVO it was the biggest game there iirc (might be second to Marvel at the time idk), and fitting everyone was a legit problem. Plus none of the setups are shared; you can't switch a smash setup to a SF/Marvel setup because a) smash doesn't use HDTVs and b) wiis and gamecubes aren't PS3s and 360s lol.

Adding smash isn't quite like adding Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur. It'd take a lot more effort...most MK and SC players aren't even unique entrants for example; they are just SF players playing another game lol. That makes them much easier to manage..

Snakeyes

Two things need to happen before Smash is back at Evo;

1. Sakurai swallows his pride and caters the next Smash towards both the casual and competitive players.

2. FG purists stop trying to impose their idea of how the game should be played when the only gameplay scenario they have experience with is two characters fighting in an enclosed box without any random hazards.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Haha, wow. Smash. I had now idea how big big it was!

I need to watch this on Stream, I want to know if it's fun to watch or how they even play that clusterfuck of a game. Is there an official rules online somewhere to read?

Is Metaknight really that broken? Can anyone with knowledge on the subject explain?

Yeah, he is pretty broken. He has a keep-away game that is very, very difficult to counter. His short-hop dair wall is frame-perfect, his down smash is unpunishable, he can actually edgeguard unlike every other character in the game, and has multiple recovery options. Plus tornado has comically good priority.

entremet

Wow, the smash community is huge and dedicated. Props to them. I loved the original in college.

Kinda crazy how Sora just said an F you to the community by adding the stupid shenanigans like tripping to Brawl.

Lots of bad blood. Particularly over rules.
What is the problem? Why would EVO have a problem with rules for a game that another community has built up?
1. Sakurai swallows his pride and caters the next Smash towards both the casual and competitive players.
Eh... I don't expect much from him in this department. Smash and Brawl are fun enough to watch and they don't look anywhere near as dated as MvC2 or SFII.
2. FG purists stop trying to impose their idea of how the game should be played when the only gameplay scenario they have experience with is two characters fighting in an enclosed box without any random hazards.
Yeah... I don't know much about this. What happened?
Yeah, Smash regularly pulls these numbers. Melee alone has had 60 majors in its history...its been quietly having big tournaments for 10 years now lol.
This is pretty sick. I'm genuinely surprised that the game has had so little stream action at tournaments. What are the regular streams I can follow?
Eh, most of it actually isn't bad blood. As someone who knows all the people involved (from the smash side and the FGC side), most of it is logistics. Smash can pull in such monstrous numbers that EVO is legitimately afraid of fitting all of them....if smash was announced for EVO, either game, you can damn well be sure it would shatter even the impressive numbers here. When Melee was at EVO it was the biggest game there iirc (might be second to Marvel at the time idk), and fitting everyone was a legit problem.
None of this sounds like it would be a problem at all if it were a Capcom game. All I've heard from the big hanchos at EVO recently is how they want to grow the community as much as possible.
Plus none of the setups are shared; you can't switch a smash setup to a SF/Marvel setup because a) smash doesn't use HDTVs and b) wiis and gamecubes aren't PS3s and 360s lol.
This is a problem to an extent. Can't they just use component cables? Smash looks GREAT on this stream with little no lag. The Wii is also cheap as fuck/plays both smash games and Nintendo's next system will only be more expensive.

Sounds like Smash will never be at EVO for one reason or another...
Adding smash isn't quite like adding Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur. It'd take a lot more effort...most MK and SC players aren't even unique entrants for example; they are just SF players playing another game lol. That makes them much easier to manage..
Hmmm... I figured there would be some overlap since guys like Noel and Chris G(I think so) played a lot of smash back in the day.
No items, 4 stock.

Legal stages are Final Destination, Battlefield, Dream Land 64, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tournament_legal_(SSBM)
Pretty damn simple if you ask me. What happened at the last EVO with Smash? The rules look pretty easy to follow.
Wow, the smash community is huge and dedicated. Props to them. I loved the original in college.

Kinda crazy how Sora just said an F you to the community by adding the stupid shenanigans like tripping to Brawl.
Yeah... I wouldn't count on Nintendo at all when it comes to competition and smash.

What is the problem? Why would EVO have a problem with rules for a game that another community has built up?

Thats the question all smash players were wondering...EVO wanted items on without knowing the history of the game. People experimented with item rulesets for years until it was slowly accepted as bad in a tournament setting. After that rigorous testing and discussion, EVO wanted to make it legal again to see how it'd go. Needless to say, smash heads weren't happy and turnout eventually dwindled after a very successful first season on the EVO circuit (this was back when EVO was more than one tournament; EVO west, EVO world etc). This was at a time when the FGC was smaller than the smash community (which was the case until SF IV, when the FGC exploded) so most smash players didn't think the drama was worth it and eventually distanced themselves for good.

Fast forward to 2012 and of course most smash players want smash at EVO. Cruel twist of fate lol.

This is pretty sick. I'm genuinely surprised that the game has had so little stream action at tournaments. What are the regular streams I can follow?

PEEFSmash, MeleePacWest, MeleeAtlNorth are some. All on twitch. But tbh, smash has always been more youtube based. Streaming is slowly gaining traction.

Popular youtube channels are ATVSmash, TheWaffle77, ajpanton, DVCRecRoom, stabbedbyahippie, UsurperKingZant, Juggleguy, durhamred, MeleePacWest, MeleeAtlNorth...

This is a problem to an extent. Can't they just use component cables? Smash looks GREAT on this stream with little no lag. The Wii is also cheap as fuck/plays both smash games and Nintendo's next system will only be more expensive.

Nah you can't play Melee on an HDTV. Even 1 frame of lag is too much. The game is hyper technical.

Brawl was on HDTVs for MLG tho so thats possible though.

Busaiku

Looks like there are 64 (capped) for 64, 220(?) something people for Melee, and 400 for Brawl.
128 for Marvel, 98 for AE2012, and 32 for MK.

Looks like there are 64 (capped) for 64, 220(?) something people for Melee, and 400 for Brawl.
128 for Marvel, 98 for AE2012, and 32 for MK.

Smash 64: 64 (capped)
All-Brawl: 64 (capped)
Melee: 331
Brawl: 410
Marvel: 128
AE: 98
MK: 32 (capped?)
Pokemon: 32?

Melee and Brawl were also soft-capped. Based on what I'm hearing, there are like 300-400 spectators too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Two things need to happen before Smash is back at Evo;

And that is exactly why it will never be at EVO again.

Smash is a casual fun party game MADE FOR casuals. It just so happens that a community grew around it and has tried it's hardest to make it competitive. Tripping is an easy thing to use as an example, but as long as the developers are ignorant of the communities existence and demands you will never ever see the more hard headed members of the FGC accept Smash "as a fighting game." And I predict that will be never because Sakurai or whomever has competitive viability fairly low on his priority list when it comes to their design philosophy, many items under "making it a game anyone of any age can enjoy" and other things you'd characterize as casual interests.

Is Melee going to be on stream? I'm really waiting for that and Mahvel 3

Melee was on yesterday. Today is Brawl. Melee bracket will start back up at 9 EST tomorrow, followed by top 8 of each game.

Smash is a casual fun party game MADE FOR casuals. It just so happens that a community grew around it and has tried it's hardest to make it competitive. Tripping is an easy thing to use as an example, but as long as the developers are ignorant of the communities existence and demands you will never ever see the more hard headed members of the FGC accept Smash "as a fighting game." And I predict that will be never because Sakurai or whomever has competitive viability fairly low on his priority list when it comes to their design philosophy, many items under "making it a game anyone of any age can enjoy" and other things you'd characterize as casual interests.

Nintendo reps are actually at this. They know about the community.

I can totally see how Smash players could have an advantage coming into Mahvel now haha.
Thats the question all smash players were wondering...EVO wanted items on without knowing the history of the game. People experimented with item rulesets for years until it was slowly accepted as bad in a tournament setting. After that rigorous testing and discussion, EVO wanted to make it legal again to see how it'd go. Needless to say, smash heads weren't happy and turnout eventually dwindled after a very successful first season on the EVO circuit (this was back when EVO was more than one tournament; EVO west, EVO world etc). This was at a time when the FGC was smaller than the smash community (which was the case until SF IV, when the FGC exploded) so most smash players didn't think the drama was worth it and eventually distanced themselves for good.

Fast forward to 2012 and of course most smash players want smash at EVO. Cruel twist of fate lol.
Sounds like EVO pulled an MLG(at least what the FGC fears) on the Smash community. Pretty fucked up and shortsighted if true imo.
PEEFSmash, MeleePacWest, MeleeAtlNorth are some. All on twitch. But tbh, smash has always been more youtube based. Streaming is slowly gaining traction.

Popular youtube channels are ATVSmash, TheWaffle77, ajpanton, DVCRecRoom, stabbedbyahippie, UsurperKingZant, Juggleguy, durhamred, MeleePacWest, MeleeAtlNorth...
Bookmarked and subscribed to nearly all of them.

Thanks
Nah you can't play Melee on an HDTV. Even 1 frame of lag is too much. The game is hyper technical.

Brawl was on HDTVs for MLG tho so thats possible though.
I knew they were strict, but that is pretty beast. I can see why equipment could be a problem with the numbers below.
Smash 64: 64 (capped)
All-Brawl: 64 (capped)
Melee: 331
Brawl: 410
Marvel: 128
AE: 98
MK: 32 (capped?)
Pokemon: 32?

Melee and Brawl were also soft-capped. Based on what I'm hearing, there are like 300-400 spectators too.
Some crazy shit. They may actually surpass upcoming AE 2012 EVO numbers with a single game if the hype is good.

Such a shame that they aren't there.

Sakurai will be less involved in the viability and competitive side of things iirc. I'm pretty sure that a committee is going to have more say in that department which is comforting. Melee is plenty competitive though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sakurai will be less involved in the viability and competitive side of things iirc. I'm pretty sure that a committee is going to have more say in that department which is comforting. Melee is plenty competitive though.
They have stated this? Almost sounds good to be true and is HUGE for Smash of so IMO.

Also yeah I've been raving about how well Smash players transition to Marvel forever. Many concepts and skills transition over seamlessly like space and aerial control.

Snakeyes

And I predict that will be never because Sakurai or whomever has competitive viability fairly low on his priority list when it comes to their design philosophy, many items under "making it a game anyone of any age can enjoy" and other things you'd characterize as casual interests.
Which is pretty ironic, because competitive players are people too.

I remember coming back to SF after years of playing nothing but Smash. Couldn't stop jumping in, dashing and getting countered :(

Also yeah I've been raving about how well Smash players transition to Marvel forever. Many concepts and skills transition over seamlessly like space and aerial control.

Yeah, its crazy. Noel Brown, Bum, Falcomist, Alukard, etc...all come from smash. I don't know about other areas, but there was a point where 3 of the top 5 Marvel maryland players were smash heads.

There seems to be a lot less overlap with SF though. Dunno why.

h3ro

I love hearing Art on the mic.

yo ugh.

Stream is great so far. I wish Spooky could get venues with godlike internet like this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, its crazy. Noel Brown, Bum, Falcomist, Alukard, etc...all come from smash. I don't know about other areas, but there was a point where 3 of the top 5 Marvel maryland players were smash heads.

Bum is a smash player?

Is he here? Goddamnit Bum you've got the momentum and hype on your side, join a tourney for Pete's sake!

Snakeyes

It's because SF is a slower, more strategic game and coming from a Smash background gives you a lot of bad habits you need to get rid of. After having played a decent amount of traditional fighters, I really notice how many useless attacks or follow ups there are in a Smash match. Players could benefit a lot from having a bit of restraint in their approach. Looks like Japanese smashers have figured this out, along with Isai in SSB64.

Street Fighter is boring and slow compared to Mahvel/Smash(I can still recognize that it's not a bad game though). My game in SF improved drastically after playing Vampire Savior(Darkstalkers 3) for a while which is probably the second fastest(nearly a tie with MvC2) 2D fighter out there, but Street Fighter IV just feels like I'm playing underwater so I can't stick with it.
They have stated this? Almost sounds good to be true and is HUGE for Smash of so IMO.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1174428p1.html

A big discussion point amongst IGN staff, as well as readers, is the balance of characters. Some, like Meta Knight, seem incredibly overpowered compared to others. Sakurai noted in his discussion with Iwata that in the past he has done all of the balancing personally. He plans to involve his staff much more for these future installments.

This is Nintendo so don't hope for too much.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I loooved Melee, equally enjoy Marvel. Don't really like Brawl despite the new characters.

It seems my favorite game(SF4) to play and watch is on the decline with the community. All I see is people bitching to put Marvel on constantly. Well I guess I'll tune out until next weeks LG SF4 qualifier then. Maybe I'll watch the top 8 as well but that's about it.

El Sloth

Banned
It seems my favorite game(SF4) to play and watch is on the decline with the community. All I see is people bitching to put Marvel on constantly. Well I guess I'll tune out until next weeks LG SF4 qualifier then. Maybe I'll watch the top 8 as well but that's about it.
Stay strong brother! $10,000 pots for LG Phone games with save the Street Fighter community!

Its a shame.

I really wish #esports would stop switching so much from game to game depending on the flavor of the week....

Azure J

Is it weird that my problem is that there are too many games that I enjoy? I love Smash, Mahvel, SSF4, Third Strike, Vampire Saviour and would probably enjoy Guilty Gear if I had access to it, but out of all those, Smash to 3S to VS would be my "roots".

I like them all too much to drop any of them, but I can't seem to spread out over so many games. :(

Also someone asked about Metaknight earlier and I was trying to find an old post I made for Marvel GAF asking the same question. I'm late, but fuck it, all that effort isn't getting wasted:

enzo_gt said:
EDIT: can someone tell me, in relative terms, how broken Metaknight is vs. Some other broken FG characters?

The character really doesn't have that many things to compare to in the sense of traditional fighting games, but I guess you can make a mold based on this:

- Ludicrous air mobility and control in a game where air control is limited to a choice few characters (like 4 or 5 out of 35)
- Transcendental blade/attack priority that is anywhere between unpunishable to somewhat punishable with great knowledge of the game engine on a character to character basis. (One of the Smash mechanics is a "attack clashing" where moves clash and the one with either the highest priority or overall damage/hitstun wins out. Negative clashes have you eating the attack, neutral clashes result in no damage and a clang type sound effect as their animations cancel, and positive clashes have you attack the opposing party. MetaKnight goes through I'd say 85 ~ 90% of all clashes positively.)
- Low damage strikes that build up high damage quickly due to the low hitstun on them and even weirder than that, low damage strikes with MASSIVE hitstun that can lead to KOs at the strangest percentages (typically, 100% is the average or good guideline number for when a character can be struck out with a well placed Smash attack or special; MetaKnight has an absurd number of moves that KO from well under that including a insane fast startup Down Smash & even more insane fast Shuttle Loop that has some deceptively long active frames and pretty damn stupid looking directional influences -- how does a move that shoots upward in an arc slam a character jumping at it for a punish downward at a 30-ish degree angle? :lol)
- Character is fast as fuck and classified as a lightweight but can tank damage pretty well and has every recovery tool in the book (Kirby like multijump + glide + a gliding slash to keep himself offensive should characters go in for a punish -- this move is one of the fastest in start up and hits like a motherfucker). Also has chain grab juggles (but since some other members of the cast have it too due to issues with the engine, I won't hold it against him alone)
- Character also possesses a "teleport" slash which due to issues with I think collision detection or general bugs in certain levels, can be used to infinitely stall a match after a certain point. (Basically, score a KO, camp in "Can't touch this" space for the duration of the match and have the match called in the MK's favor)

Mind you I have no problems with the character since I play/played all 3 Smash games intensively and can deal with a lot of shit (even moreso because I play Marth since Melee and Kirby/Falcon/Luigi in SSB64), but I can understand some folks being more than salty about this.

In other news, what have I missed in terms of the 2D fighter stream? I just got in around 10 minutes ago.

Top Bottom