• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs hit ID Software Today

element

Appears that ID had some layoffs today. I know a fair amount of people that have changed jobs there in the last month or so.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fuck, this sucks. Rage was fucking awesome and gets way too much hate. One of my biggest surprises of 2011. Hope everyone lands on their feet since they're all super talented.

Er... they should have removed this before laying people off..

idpage.PNG

therapist

Rage was quite dissapointing IMO and i dont know anyone who bought it , not even when it was 15$ on the steam sale , i assume it did quite poorly.

It wasnt a bad game , just wasnt anywhere near what it should be.

A shame though , hopefully this doesn't end too badly for the people who got laid off :/

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
They should have rebooted Quake going back to the dark fantasy style of Quake I and adding in some of the RPG elements that were originally intended instead of doing a rather uninspired post-apocalyptic shooter.

But what do I know?

Rage was quite dissapointing IMO and i dont know anyone who bought it , not even when it was 15$ on the steam sale , i assume it did quite poorly.

A shame though , hopefully this doesn't end too badly for the people who got laid off :/

Personally I thought the entire game looked generic from day one, and from all the reviews I read, it sounds like it turned out just as I feared. Competent? Sure, but competent isn't enough, especially in a crowded holiday season.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This really sums it up. I was expecting it to be the big return of id after they first showed it so many years ago. It looked incredible. I had fun with it, but there were a ton of problems and it really wasn't all that great.

Dipswitch

There's smart, talented people over there. But they take too damn long to produce their titles. And when they do come out, they're largely mediocre.

I liked the look of RAGE, but the reviews and day one issues put me off.

sp3000

The studio was foolish after Doom 3. Who knows how much development money they spent over the 7 year development period for Rage. Which ultimately turned out to be a cheap console port. I don't have much sympathy for a studio that abandons it's core audience in favor of chasing console money.

I remember all the awesome details Doom 3 had like the interactive screens. Rage was bland and uninspired compared to it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The studio was foolish after Doom 3. Who knows how much development money they spent over the 7 year development period for Rage. Which ultimately turned out to be a cheap console port. I don't have much sympathy for a studio that abandons it's core audience in favor of chasing console money.

I remember all the awesome details Doom 3 had like the interactive screens. Rage was bland and uninspired compared to it.

their audience is gamers, not PC gamers.

This really sums it up. I was expecting it to be the big return of id after they first showed it so many years ago. It looked incredible. I had fun with it, but there were a ton of problems and it really wasn't all that great.

Ditto. Either way, I look forward to iD's next game. Hopefully.

daedalius

Bad news :(

I just haven't found Rage to be terribly compelling, and its much lauded graphically fidelity doesn't have much to do with that.

Enjoyed Doom3 much more.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Yarrrrgh. :\ id really needs another revolutionary Doom/Quake for this day and age. RAGE, from what I hear, just doesn't cut it in groundbreakingness. But it's just another showcase for how fragile big game studios are now - even mildly disappointing sales figures can result in cutbacks.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Rage sold at least a million between all 3 (PC, 360, PS3) platforms didn't it? I guess that's not enough for the amount of time it took to develop.

It wasn't a bad game at all and the technology was impressive, hopefully ID learned a lot from making it, let's just hope they're able to stick around long enough to deliver on a new Doom or Quake.

[Nintex]

Hopefully Doom 4 still lives, last I heard it was a next gen title. maybe it was the Rage DLC team that got hit or something, also bad mind you :(

ElRenoRaven

Not surprising. Once you let yourself get bought you tend to start losing people after awhile. Eventually ID will cease to exist and it will be a sad day when that happens.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Unfortunate, but not too surprising.

Todd Hollenshead once said something to the effect of "it would be really bad" if Rage didn't do well, and I can't imagine that game hit expectations, even though it didn't totally bomb.

Fuck, this sucks. Rage was fucking awesome and gets way too much hate. One of my biggest surprises of 2011. Hope everyone lands on their feet since they're all super talented.

Agreed. Loved Rage. Didn't agree with their multiplayer choice or in not releasing expandable campaign DLC, but the game was fantastic and I had more fun on that SP FPS campaign than any other fps game this year. Shame.

pakkit

Banned
RAGE was really good, even though it wasn't quite the AAA diamond people expected.

Shame, ID is an industry mainstay. Good luck to all who are relocating!

Top Bottom