• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Petrie
Member
(01-12-2012, 04:14 AM)
Petrie's Avatar


As you can see, the power button my this laptop is jammed inward on the right side, and I'm wondering what the easiest way to hopefully fix this is. Has anyone had this happen and successfully fixed it?
dluu13
Member
(01-12-2012, 04:19 AM)
dluu13's Avatar
Get yourself a screwdriver and a knife. Open the thing up and reassemble the switch.
Petrie
Member
(01-12-2012, 04:22 AM)
Petrie's Avatar

Originally Posted by dluu13

Get yourself a screwdriver and a knife. Open the thing up and reassemble the switch.

You make this sound so easy...

Alright then I suppose.
dluu13
Member
(01-12-2012, 04:27 AM)
dluu13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrie

You make this sound so easy...

Alright then I suppose.

Remember to make a note of where everything goes. I have to warn you that some laptops are harder to take apart though. How did it get down there in the first place?
Petrie
Member
(01-12-2012, 04:39 AM)
Petrie's Avatar

Originally Posted by dluu13

Remember to make a note of where everything goes. I have to warn you that some laptops are harder to take apart though. How did it get down there in the first place?

No idea. We took it home over the break and it was fine, it hasn't been opened, but it was in the trunk. Really couldn't tell you how it happened.
claviertekky
Member
(01-12-2012, 04:50 AM)
claviertekky's Avatar
Usually on most Windows laptops, the bar where the hinges, power buttons, and status LEDs are is removable for servicing.

That bar also has a plastic push pin that hits a tiny mechanical switch to power on your computer. You can push that switch yourself.

Some of them go left to right. Others go right to left.

Depends on the computer though, and I can't really tell in the cam shot.
Guy LeDouche
Member
(01-12-2012, 04:55 AM)
Buy a macbook pro
Petrie
Member
(01-12-2012, 06:23 AM)
Petrie's Avatar

Originally Posted by claviertekky

Usually on most Windows laptops, the bar where the hinges, power buttons, and status LEDs are is removable for servicing.

That bar also has a plastic push pin that hits a tiny mechanical switch to power on your computer. You can push that switch yourself.

Some of them go left to right. Others go right to left.

Depends on the computer though, and I can't really tell in the cam shot.

Its a gateway, if that helps...
dluu13
Member
(01-12-2012, 07:04 AM)
dluu13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrie

Its a gateway, if that helps...

Unfortunately there isn't too much of a standard for these things (I mean on cases). It usually takes a bit of poking around.
foodtaster
Member
(01-12-2012, 07:05 AM)
q-tip + superglue. you're welcome

and some nail polisher remover to get rid of the superglue from the power button afterwards
Alfarif
This picture? uhh I can explain really!
(01-12-2012, 07:06 AM)
Alfarif's Avatar

Originally Posted by Guy LeDouche

Buy a macbook pro

Dude, don't be a dou... Oh. Please continue.
Slavik81
Member
(01-12-2012, 07:07 AM)
Slavik81's Avatar
See if you can look up the service manual for your laptop. I found a complete disassembly guide for my Dell laptop a few years ago when I had a broken fan.

Thread Tools