• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Oh man you know what I would totally settle for visually? Xbox 360 bullshot caliber graphics. Like, with the increase in ram, we'll definitely have nicer textures for sure, but everything else can stay the same IMO if its like ultra clean.

Hiltz

I don't see what's so preposterous about Nintendo releasing the spec sheet. When exactly did they do that for Gamecube? The reason they did not give details about Wii is that they wanted to make mainstream press reports comparing to the other two boxes not possble other than to say "doesn't run in HD".

What benefit would there be for Nintendo to release the detailed specifications of the Wii's hardware? The media and fan boys would be given more ammunition and time spent on criticizing Nintendo's decisions. Besides, Nintendo's goals with the Wii were more ambitious than just attempting to beef its console's power. Penetrating the expanded audience market and changing how we play games by resorting to simplifying and innovating the video game controller was what Nintendo wanted to emphasize. Releasing more system spec info would have served as a distraction and more negative feedback. Of course, Nintendo wanted to downplay the Wii's specs which is why you were correct to say that it said that it "doesn't support HD."

The Wii U appears to be in a similar situation because it's believed that the console is not going to be even half a generational leap in graphics. As we all know, Nintendo's been quick to already downplay the Wii U's capabilities by saying that it has no intentions to compete in the graphics race against Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo's just trying to keep expectations realistic. Of course, that doesn't mean Nintendo won't make the most out of its hardware.

Coolwhip

Banned
So what specifically are you guys looking forward this E3? For me it's probably seeing a video of an awesome looking new 3D Mario, co-op, ONLINE that uses the Upad in some cool ways.

So what specifically are you guys looking forward this E3? For me it's probably seeing a video of an awesome looking new 3D Mario, co-op, ONLINE that uses the Upad in some cool ways.

Assurance that there will be lots of symmetrical local multiplayer, hopefully with the option of using the Classic Controller Pro for players 2 to 4. My local group's ability to play games together has been pretty wrecked this generation, at least compared to previous ones. For the most part, we play Nintendo games on the Wii, Wrestling games on the 360 ... and, wow, I can't think of anything else right now. We're going to be hooking up my friend's old N64 for some classic multiplayer games soon.

edit: Oh, we're going to give Call of GoldenEye another shot. It was enjoyable but not nearly as great as the sixth-gen shooters we played seemed to be, but maybe it'll grow on us.

HylianTom

Banned

- games
- launch date
- which games will be available at launch
- demos of uPad uses
- hidden/unknown features
- a gauge on third party support
- sneak peeks of the next Zelda/Mario/StarTropics/F-Zero/Kid Icarus/Pikmin console game?
- on-stage theatrics/antics/goofs/entertainment (<<this one is for all three console makers)
- no matter what, NeoGAF will be entertaining as all hell! =)

But games has to be #1.

Nibel

I just leave this here..

PstUQ.png

Hiltz

-Starfox by Retro Studios / Donkey Kong Country Returns Again !

- New RPG from Monolith Soft for Wii U

(crossing fingers for Xenoblade 2 or even a spiritual successor)

- Pikmin 3

- 2D Castlevania for 3DS

- 2D Metroid for 3DS (Sakamoto, we will forgive you!)

- An surprising and exclusive mature IP collaboration between Nintendo and a third-party

(Maybe Eternal Darkness 2, but I remain skeptical about how much talent Silicon Knights has left in it)

- Resident Evil 6 port

- All Mii-based E3 2011 demos to be included as built-in freebie software

StevieP

Banned
Well ONM did have this to say after an in-depth featurette with Retro themselves in its latest issue:

ONM said:
"While some suggest this new project is likely to be a return to the Metroid franchise, we’d love to see another Nintendo hero get the retro stamp of excellence. After all, having rolled out the barrels for Donkey Kong, perhaps it’s time Retro pulled off a barrel roll of a different kind.”

Kingven

- Mario Kart U
- Pikmin 3
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- New Super Mario Bros (2d and 3d)
- Advance wars U(Batallion Wars)
- Donkey Kong Country U
- Bomberman U
- F-Zero U
- Mortal Kombat U

- New Monolith RPG
- New Mario
- Announcement that 3rd party games like COD/AC3/etc all coming to the console on releas
- a partnership between nintendo with kojima/square for future MGS/final fantasy titles

That's me being hopeful but also grounded in some sort of quasi-reality. If I included pipe dreams for E3, metroid prime would be there, animal crossing/harvest moon for wiiU, and some other things.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well ONM did have this to say after an in-depth featurette with Retro themselves in its latest issue:

I can't imagine any popular Nintendo franchise I'd like to see rebooted less than Starfox.

Shiggy

If it's a Starfox title, I just want to finally kick the General's scaly tail. And probably meet some characters like Tricky and the Warpstone again. :D

pvpness

I can't imagine any popular Nintendo franchise I'd like to see rebooted less than Starfox.

I'm with ya. I'd actually rather see a Gyromite update before they butcher Team Star Fox once again.

I'd really like Retro to build me a sci-fi sandbox in which to play. Since Volition won't give me an iron man suit rip-off for Saint's, I'd like to see that too.

Nibel

I could swear that Nintendo is going to create a bunch of downloadable games of franchises which are either not popular or new. This is going to be one of their next big plans and I wouldn't be surprised if we'd see a new StarFox or 2D Metroid on the Nintendo app store.

I could swear that Nintendo is going to create a bunch of downloadable games of franchises which are either not popular or new. This is going to be one of their next big plans and I wouldn't be surprised if we'd see a new StarFox or 2D Metroid on the Nintendo app store.

oh yeah they no way of that happening..... oh wait

Qmxag.jpg

and they more coming im happy for them to try and give the younger teams to make small games for e-shop

ps found a pic of you

vlzMgl.png

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What I would like at Nintendo's E3 2012 media briefing

• Good communication - A well-arranged presentation of hardware and software so that the entire audience understands Nintendo's agenda and plans. A repeat of last year's to some people confusing presentation wouldn't be that appreciated.

• A tech demo that truly tells Wii U isn't simply an Xbox 360 on steroids. While the Japanese Garden demo (both versions) was impressive, I believe more must be done to really captivate the audience. I'm thinking something similar to the Killzone demo à la E3 2005 would be eligible for such a mission. This would probably be through a presentation of Metroid, Geist or The Legend of Zelda.

• Some kind of musical entertainment. The orchestra that played the theme for the 25th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda did a great job, and something for the Wii U would be nice. Coinciding anniversaries include the 10th anniversary of Kirby and the 10th anniversary of Mario Kart, so perhaps something for that could be arranged in conjunction with the reveal of a new game. Most likely Mario Kart.

• Equal time portions for different types of games (casual vs. core). I don't mind casual games like Wii Fit, but I don't like it when a huge portion of a press conference is devoted simply to casual games, when the portion of core games has to suffer. If Nintendo can balance this in a nice way I will be pleased.

• A presentation of supporting third-parties in a form other than a screen showing logos or "interviews" or software reels comprised of footage from Xbox 360/PS3 versions of the games. Have let's say Jason Vandenberghe come out on stage and demonstrate how they have incorporated the features of the Wii U remote in Far Cry 3.

What I would not like at Nintendo's E3 2012 media briefing

• A beta version of Killer Freaks From Outer Space demonstrated on stage. This thing should be kept as far away as possible from Nintendo's media briefing unless it features impressive visuals.

• Important details about the system surfacing in the usual Geoff/Reggie interview. As much as I like seeing these two guys duking it out, I'm not too keen on learning for example how much internal memory the system has via GameTrailers etc. Because that should be distributed either on the media briefing or through the press kit Nintendo always sends out.

• Uninspiring "HD" ports of Petz and Imagine by Ubisoft. These things may sell well, but ain't something I would want to define the inauguration of Wii U. For a showing in 2013 perhaps, but not at E3 2012.

• Uninspiring "HD" ports of Xbox 360/PS3 games from 2006, let's say Alone in the Dark and Turok. If developers want this kind of thing, at least pick something semi-contemporary.

Then of course I can suggest things like The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball, Reggie Readies Your Body, StarTropics and a bunch of other things for Nintendo to show there, but I doubt they want to go all in; though some kind of bombastic revelation is to expect.

Nibel

Are you really say pushmo not good?

What the hell is wrong with you?

First off, I never said ANYTHING about the quality of Pushmo and other eShop exclusives. I like them all a lot.

Secondly, I said that franchises like StarFox or new IPs which only can work on the tablet could be made for Wii U's "eShop". Just like XBLA or PSN games, but made for the Wii U from the ground up.

And I won't comment your childish overreaction - it's actually funny. :lol

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I would really love to see some Nintendo titles for the launch window:

New Metroid, with great use of Upad
Pikmin 3 with photorealistic backgrounds
New Retro studio poject (new IP? or reboot)
New IP
Demo à la Wii Sport (maybe with the demo of last e3) included in the basic version of the console
New Monolith Soft game

Some Third party escvlusive for the launch window:

Killer Freaks
Ubisoft MMO
Ghost Recon Online
Maybe some surprsie from EA (Battlefield spinoff?) Warner Bros (Batman spinoff?) and Capcom (Lost Planet Troopers?)
Dagon Quest X Plus

Some third party multiplatform release (with Upad and Ugraphic addition):

Resident Evil 6
Dead Space 3
Time splitters 4
Assassins Creed 3
GTA5
CoD

Oddduck

Rösti;35662141 said:

• A beta version of Killer Freaks From Outer Space demonstrated on stage. This thing should be kept as far away as possible from Nintendo's media briefing unless it features impressive visuals.

They have had an entire year to improve the graphics and gameplay. Much, much longer than the time they were given to polish Red Steel 1 for Wii's launch.

I really don't see this game being shitty like Red Steel 1. They've had more than enough time to work on it, and the fact that you can use different controllers to play it (like classic controller pro) is a really nice addition.

The fact that they got the game to look as good as it was as a Beta Xbox 360 game at E3 2011 when it wasn't even in development for a long time is pretty impressive.

Rösti;35662141 said:

• So do you also not want to see them showcase Killer Freaks if it happens to intelligently use the controller screen while displaying average visuals? Graphics can not be the only thing you are seriously worried about. If I am Nintendo, I will be focusing far more attention to the controller screen and its game play integration than graphics.

I already have a minimum expectation from the system technology wise (and my expectations are no where near as high as many of you in this thread, lower expectations mean less disappointment :p), so that really doesn't interest me when it comes to the Wii U. What interests me is the second screen and how it will be implemented in games.

If there was anything you wouldn't want to see, it would be a lack of interesting uses of the 2nd screen regardless of how it looks.

Lausebub

Banned
Launch price: 299€/$
Launch date: November 16th EU, 18th US
Launch titles:
ACIII
Batman Arkham City
Darmsiders 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
FIFA 13
Killer Freaks From Outer Space
Metro Last Light
Tom Clancy game
Monster games racer
Wario Ware fUn fUn Microgames
Pikmin 3
Wii blank
+random stuff, some new franchises from 3rd parties

Oddduck

I'm guaranteeing this right now.

Killer Freaks from Outer Space will be visually amazing. The concept art was very intriguing, and if they can match the graphics with the concept art, it will be a great game. Again, A LOT of things can be improved in one full year (between E3 2011 and E3 2012)...and it can be even more improved between E3 2012 and Wii U's launch. What we saw of Killer Freaks last year was a rough beta, and the game shouldn't be judged by a rough beta.

Although Red Steel 1 sucked...believe it or not...the game at launch was better and improved over the version displayed at E3.

Also, Ubisoft got a lot of feedback from Nintendo and Retro on Red Steel's motion controls, so I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for Nintendo's feedback on Killer Freaks.

If Killer Freaks can go from this beta:

killer_freaks_screenshot_720_wip_002_slash_freaks_1200.jpg

to something closer to this:

killer_freaks_feature-600x300.jpg

That would be pretty sweet.

HylianTom

Banned
In my wildest of fantasies, Nintendo uses the Wii U to dramatically increase the popularity of the action-adventure genre.. announcing the console returns of StarTropics, Faxanadu, Kid Icarus, etc. Games like that.

With each series bringing its own unique flavor to the genre, I'd love to see it rise in prominence, spawning lots of copycat titles each year.

For me, that'd make for the best E3 ever.. Reggie saying, "Wait - we have one more reel to roll."

(Sadly, we're more likely to just see ported and copycat FPS titles..)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So do you also not want to see them showcase Killer Freaks if it happens to intelligently use the controller screen while displaying average visuals? Graphics can not be the only thing you are seriously worried about. If I am Nintendo, I will be focusing far more attention to the controller screen and its game play integration than graphics.

I already have a minimum expectation from the system technology wise, so that really doesn't interest me when it comes to the Wii U. What interests me is the second screen and how it will be implemented in games.
What "average visuals" means is key here. Sure, I wouldn't complain if the game featured visuals on par with let's say Halo Reach, but visuals lacking mipmapping, good light sources and a steady frame rate between 20-30 FPS I wouldn't want on stage. Anything that would severely make people doubt the technical capabilities of the system is not appropriate to show on stage. At least the Chase Mii demo looked clean and polished at E3 2011, whilst Killer Freaks From Outer Space did not (I know it was in early alpha stage).

Of course I am, just like you, very interested in the aspects of the Wii U remote, and that is certainly something Nintendo should focus on, but with the right content connected.

Oddduck

Rösti;35662839 said:
At least the Chase Mii demo looked clean and polished at E3 2011, whilst Killer Freaks From Outer Space did not (I know it was in early alpha stage).

Metroid Prime looked like crap during beta too.

ME0000106501_2.jpg

ME0000146356_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom