• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Morinaga

I think my controversial opinion is:

It seems alot of modern Indie games concentrate on being more imaginative rather than being good games, and in so doing come off as prententious and boring.

There are some exceptions.

Im not gonna name names becuase I dont think its fair and people have obviously put a lot into these things. However that is my opinion.

The 3D zelda games are bland, boring and have no depth of gameplay, and all take place in the most generic of childrens fantasy settings. I don't understand why they're revered so much. (Majora's Mask was ok I guess).

Well if you're 12 I understand what you're saying but Ocarina of time invented standards by itself, just like super mario 64 did before

Turns out, PC gaming isn't THAT much different from our current gen consoles. This is even more apparent with the long list of titles that lack in the performance department (batman arkham, toukiden) or just downright look like ps3 games (one piece, dynasty warriors).

Before I had built my first PC gaming rig this year, I thought I was going to be blown away. Not the case. I'm sitting here looking at my games and going... "Really? This is 'master race'?"

The only thing I like about my new rig is that it gets higher frames on older titles like vanquish, bayonetta, and red dead redemption. Without mods, the games look the same except for a few lights (wow, it is fucking nothing) like in the newly released mgsvtpp. It is still hilarious how a ps4 can keep up with PC the way it does.

*Drops mic*

CONTROVERSIAL.

Err, what?

zoukka

I think my controversial opinion is:

It seems alot of modern Indie games concentrate on being more imaginative rather than being good games, and in so doing come off as prententious and boring.

There are some exceptions.

Im not gonna name names becuase I dont think its fair and people have obviously put a lot into these things. However that is my opinion.

It's more that indie games try to be more innovative and thus fail more often than the safe AAA games you see. That's why some of them feel boring and pretentious because they take the risks that AAA developers do not.

Scotia

Banned
Apart from Ryu, Ken and sometimes Chun Li I think all the SF2 World Warriors are terrible characters and are overused as fuck. I also think SF4's roster was the worst in the series due to the fact that they brought all the World Warriors back. If I had it my way Ryu, Ken and Chun Li would be the only ones to ever come back and I'd let the rest rot like the rest of the SF characters that Capcom ignores.

EDIT: I also despise The Witcher 3 and hate how everyone jerks over it constantly.

Cropduster89

Neo Member
Well if you're 12 I understand what you're saying but Ocarina of time invented standards by itself, just like super mario 64 did before

Mario 64 alongside Tomb Raider definitely set the standards for 3D gaming, but ocarina came out in 98 by which time this stuff was already well established.

Game play wise I don't think it much that was innovative, especially when you compare it to the golden age of PC gaming that was happening at the time.

Scotia

Banned
Remembered another two:

Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas in every way, shape and form and I think Bethesda make better games than Bioware and CD Projekt RED.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is the second worst game in the mainline series (Peace Walker is the worst overall). I think the story is drivel, Raiden is a terrible protagonist, all the supporting characters and villians are fucking terrible and I feel like Kojima had his head up his ass the entire development process. Big Shell and the opening Tanker Mission are probably the only things I like about it. Snake Eater is so, so much better.

Obviously drunk or something since not possible even with emulator.

Either that or he made up a story about owning a gaming PC so that he could pretend like his opinion was in any way informed.

EDIT: Looking at his post history it looks like he does own a PC. Just a silly opinion then.

Vex_

Banned
Err, what?

exactly.

Either that or he made up a story about owning a gaming PC so that he could pretend like his opinion was in any way informed.

EDIT: Looking at his post history it looks like he does own a PC. Just a silly opinion then.

EDIT: 1. Why would I make up a story about owning a PC? Rather, why would I need too? :)
2. You actually went through my post history? LMAO wow. I mustve done well then! :)

Thanks guys!
:)

Morinaga

It's more that indie games try to be more innovative and thus fail more often than the safe AAA games you see. That's why some of them feel boring and pretentious because they take the risks that AAA developers do not.

I agree they take alot of risks that AAA titles do not but I think only a few are really innovative. Game design is from what I understand a distinctly difficult thing to do so Im not surprised by games that dont hold my attention; but the pretentious part I think comes from wanting to stand out against other games, when I think there really is no need.

Mario 64 alongside Tomb Raider definitely set the standards for 3D gaming, but ocarina came out in 98 by which time this stuff was already well established.

Game play wise I don't think it much that was innovative, especially when you compare it to the golden age of PC gaming that was happening at the time.

Context sensitive button (A), Z locking, that kind of jazz
It also had real smooth gameplay, compared to tomb raider which was super stiff. If tomb raider had been made with OoT controls, it would have been so much better

Metal Gear Solid 2 is the second worst game in the mainline series (Peace Walker is the worst overall). I think the story is drivel, Raiden is a terrible protagonist, all the supporting characters and villians are fucking terrible and I feel like Kojima had his head up his ass the entire development process. Big Shell and the opening Tanker Mission are probably the only things I like about it. Snake Eater is so, so much better.

I absolutely agree with you. It's a bunch of nonsense wrapped up in a "deeper than thou" sub-Tom Clancy facade, with a bunch of antagonists ripped straight out of any number of animes that have more work put into character design than actual writing.

Scotia

Banned
I absolutely agree with you. It's a bunch of nonsense wrapped up in a "deeper than thou" sub-Tom Clancy facade, with a bunch of antagonists ripped straight out of any number of animes that have more work put into character design than actual writing.

I'm glad someone agrees. It's an opinion I've kept quite hidden seeing as 90% of the fanbase see it as their favourite :/

Cropduster89

Neo Member
Context sensitive button (A), Z locking, that kind of jazz
It also had real smooth gameplay, compared to tomb raider which was super stiff. If tomb raider had been made with OoT controls, it would have been so much better

I'd have to disagree there, the fact that navigation was tricky in tomb raider was what made it satisfying when you nailed the jumps just right. Like trials with boobs. The challenge in 3D Zelda always seems to boil down to it's adventure-game elements, which peaked in MM. The temples always bored the hell out of me.

Probably have to concede that ocarina has the better combat out of the two though, but also must say that context sensitive buttons were done years before with games like LBA/Relentless, maybe even earlier.

edit - I really don't truly hate any of them (except maybe skyward sword), I just sigh whenever I see them at the top of "best game ever" list when I've always found them pretty dull.

That argument could be made for 90% of all characters after a certain point in bools, movies or tv shows.

Your are right that it is pseudo intellectual but incidentally kojima was correct in a way.

Apart from Ryu, Ken and sometimes Chun Li I think all the SF2 World Warriors are terrible characters and are overused as fuck. I also think SF4's roster was the worst in the series due to the fact that they brought all the World Warriors back. If I had it my way Ryu, Ken and Chun Li would be the only ones to ever come back and I'd let the rest rot like the rest of the SF characters that Capcom ignores.

Are we talking about just the original 8? Because if so, then I fully agree. If you're including Cammy and Bison, though...

More generally, I don't find having my favorite characters in an upcoming installment super important anymore. Third Strike's gameplay more than made up for not having all my favorites, and ended up introducing me to several new characters that I loved. Capcom Fighting Evolution, meanwhile, had Karin, Alex, Urien AND Jedah but still sucked donkey dick. Street Fighter 5 likely won't have a lot of my favorites, either, but it looks like a breath of fresh air after 7 years of SF4 so I'm still super excited for it.

Freeman76

Hmm my most 'against the grain' opinion is probably how overrated Alan Wake is. Looked so promising and in the end I just could not understand the praise heaped on it, the story was shit and didn't make any sense, the graphics were shit and the game had very little atmosphere. If I was a reviewer it would have got a score around 4/10, and my site would have been slated lol

Scotia

Banned
Are we talking about just the original 8? Because if so, then I fully agree. If you're including Cammy and Bison, though...

More generally, I don't find having my favorite characters in an upcoming installment super important anymore. Third Strike's gameplay more than made up for not having all my favorites, and ended up introducing me to several new characters that I loved. Capcom Fighting Evolution, meanwhile, had Karin, Alex, Urien AND Jedah but still sucked donkey dick. Street Fighter 5 likely won't have a lot of my favorites, either, but it looks like a breath of fresh air after 7 years of SF4 so I'm still super excited for it.

I'm talking about all of them. Cammy isn't the worst of the bunch by any means but as a whole the World Warriors have just been over-used to death and I'm getting sick of them constantly gatecrashing games which shouldn't be about them (SF4 did not need all the World Warriors). I'm sick of SF games instantly being about them and I'm sick of them being included into vanilla versions of the games whilst having nothing to do with the main story (Gief, Sim, Blanka, Hawk in SF4 is a prime example). They're like a disease that follows you around that everybody else just accepts. It's infuriating.

chixdiggit

Turns out, PC gaming isn't THAT much different from our current gen consoles. This is even more apparent with the long list of titles that lack in the performance department (batman arkham, toukiden) or just downright look like ps3 games (one piece, dynasty warriors).

Before I had built my first PC gaming rig this year, I thought I was going to be blown away. Not the case. I'm sitting here looking at my games and going... "Really? This is 'master race'?"

The only thing I like about my new rig is that it gets higher frames on older titles like vanquish, bayonetta, and red dead redemption. Without mods, the games look the same except for a few lights (wow, it is fucking nothing) like in the newly released mgsvtpp. It is still hilarious how a ps4 can keep up with PC the way it does.

*Drops mic*

CONTROVERSIAL.

Nice troll. Though you made it too obvious.

I'm talking about all of them. Cammy isn't the worst of the bunch by any means but as a whole the World Warriors have just been over-used to death and I'm getting sick of them constantly gatecrashing games which shouldn't be about them (SF4 did not need all the World Warriors). I'm sick of SF games instantly being about them and I'm sick of them being included into vanilla versions of the games whilst having nothing to do with the main story (Gief, Sim, Blanka, Hawk in SF4 is a prime example). They're like a disease that follows you around that everybody else just accepts. It's infuriating.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Cammy, then. I will never have a problem with her getting a slot, LOL.

Overall, though? I agree. I would love to see another main game that did it like SFIII and only had like 3-4 old characters tops, but it's never going to happen again. :(

Scotia

Banned
We'll just have to agree to disagree on Cammy, then. I will never have a problem with her getting a slot, LOL.

Overall, though? I agree. I would love to see another main game that did it like SFIII and only had like 3-4 old characters tops, but it's never going to happen again. :(

Cammy and sometimes Guile I can tolerate but the rest can fuck off. Everytime someone mentions that they want Sim in SFV I just want to verbally slap them, but I know I'll get a ton of shit for it from the World Warrior fantatics. I'd also love another New Generation style SF game but Capcom are too pissed scared to do it. SFV is amazing (I played the beta for hours) and I'll no doubt find someone cool to play with (I'm praying for Alex and Urien to be in the game) but just the constant use of the World Warriors just drains my hype for any SF game.

The only MGS games with great gameplay are MGS1 (for its time) and 5.

Don't understand how people think 2, 3, and 4 are that great. 2 and 3 have terrible controls, and poor stealth gameplay that didn't evolve like other stealth games did. Thief and Splinter Cell had already steamrolled MGS3 and still did by 4.

I enjoy these games, but I can't bring myself to appreciate their gameplay.

Dunkley

After Metal Gear Solid V's ending I am glad the franchise is taken out of Kojima's hands.

I mean I would love him to stick around since his decisions on gameplay design are superb but honestly he should have passed the torch on writing the games starting from Metal Gear Solid 4 on considering people bitched a lot about MGS4's writing, didn't really enjoy Peace Walker's story and nor are people exactly happy about the big twist in The Phantom Pain either.

Some Nobody

Ignoring that awful edit, I would agree with this...if SF had a story worth talking about, or even tried to like MK has been. Why keep bringing back M. Bison? Guile? Like WTF. Dismiss these peeps and add some new characters--and show younger ones like Sakura, Karin, and Sean reach their potential.

Scotia

Banned
Ignoring that awful edit, I would agree with this...if SF had a story worth talking about, or even tried to like MK has been. Why keep bringing back M. Bison? Guile? Like WTF. Dismiss these peeps and add some new characters--and show younger ones like Sakura, Karin, and Sean reach their potential.

I'm a guy that pays attention to any story no matter how minor, but yeah, Capcom have all these great characters with tons of potential, but no, let's bring back fucking Bison for the sixth time. It's so annoying having all these awesome characters ready and waiting to be used but instead use the same damn characters again and again.

And about the edit; it is the controversial opinions thread ;)

F2P games don't deserve the hate. Yes there are terrible ones out there but there are also terrible retail games that you have to put out $60 before you realize you got a incomplete turd while f2p you don't have to pay a dime to know if its a good game or not.

F2P games don't deserve the hate. Yes there are terrible ones out there but there are also terrible retail games that you have to put out $60 before you realize you got a incomplete turd while f2p you don't have to pay a dime to know if its a good game or not.

The issue is the ratio
If you have a bad retail game for every 2 retail games that are released that's fine
When it's f2p it's more like 999:1000

Of course there are good f2p games, nobody denies that, but f2p generally means bad practice or trash games

In addition to what was mentioned above me, I feel like f2p shifts games further to products than art. Especially when the micro transactions exist inside the game, be it menus or even worse character messages.

Scotia

Banned
After Metal Gear Solid V's ending I am glad the franchise is taken out of Kojima's hands.

I mean I would love him to stick around since his decisions on gameplay design are superb but honestly he should have passed the torch on writing the games starting from Metal Gear Solid 4 on considering people bitched a lot about MGS4's writing, didn't really enjoy Peace Walker's story and nor are people exactly happy about the big twist in The Phantom Pain either.

If any other company than Konami had the rights to MGS then I'd agree with you, but I just don't trust that company to make a good game, never mind a Kojima style game. I agree that Kojima's idea of a twist end up shite (Raiden and
Venom Snake
in paticular are just annoying and infuriating, respectivley) but I still wish the guy could have finished his series (I believe a 6th game was meant to happen but obviously won't now).

Scotia

Banned
Just been playing the Phantom Pain so I've got a new one. HUGE spoilers for TPP follow:

I've grown really sick and tired of Kojima's storytelling. Having Venom Snake be an imposter is bad enough, but a random fucking medic from GZ?!?!? What in the fuck was Kojima thinking? It's really ruined the game for me now and I'm actually really glad that Kojima won't be involved in the series anymore because I'm done with his shit. I'm looking forward to what Konami are going to do with the series from this point on (God fucking help me if it's pachinko related) but I've lost a lot of respect and admiration for Kojima after this twist. He's ruined a really good game for me with his bullshit. All in all I think this one of the worst Metal Gear's of all time and I would like nothing more to erase it from my memory. In a way I'm glad Silent Hills is cancelled because I just don't have it in me to deal with any more of his so called 'twists'.

Tenebrous

Fifa doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I just picked up 15 for cheap on PC, and online seasons remain as fun as ever. Anyone who thinks PES is a better game nowadays is just trying to be controversial - Sorry, GAF.

I still hate Ultimate Team and see it as nothing but exploitative trash, though.

Honestly regarding mgsv twist. Kojima has been done with the series since 2 I'm sure after being forced to make 4 and five he is happy to leave konami and do something else.

Cider

Video games should be easy. I thank whoever created detective mode and made it actually enjoyable for me to play games. I'm busy all week, I get about 1~4 hours at most a week to play, please don't make my video games stressful like the rest of my life.

spekkeh

Banned
F2P games don't deserve the hate.

15070150.gif

Mozendo

Kingdoms of Amalur is a below average to average game and i feel like the only reason it got praised was because it was open world.

Doofcake

I'm okay with F2P multi-player games IF their microtransactions are only for cosmetic stuff. F2P single-player games are bound to be terrible.

Manu

I was gonna open a new thread for this but it's not worth it.

r/pcmasterrace's guide is batshit insane. I mean holy shit.

It basically boils down to "consoles are killing gaming and if you buy one you're guilty of it too."

I hate having spells locked away behind covenant ranks in Dark Souls. You can farm for everything easily enough in 1, but it looks like it's a pain in the ass in 2 (only 25+ hours in right now). I know I'm an offline freak, but I'd rather see something more cosmetic tied to online, rather than something useful in gameplay (spells, weapons).

It basically boils down to "consoles are killing gaming and if you buy one you're guilty of it too."

That whole thing made me want to hug my consoles. It's cheerleading like that that drives me further away from going back to PC.

Well, that and I don't like dealing with PCs anymore. I'm not a tech fiend. I care about games, not specs. More power to someone who does, but don't expect me to join in your fetish and don't act like my preference is ruining your fun.

Murtrod

That guide is some serious cancer. Consoles allow for greater funding for games that are simultaneously released on PC. Sure, PC has it's advantages and exclusives, but to say consoles are a hindrance to the advancement of gaming is naive and foolish.

Many LPers DO care. If you can get paid to do something you love, that's not a bad thing. This whole "real job" belief gamers have is a cancer not only on our culture but on society in general.

Nah, I would much rather see someone with a real job make video that is good even though they come out less often than see a Markeplier or Game Grumps churn out mediocre crap 3-5 times a day.

Steel

Banned
So you're saying the average adventure/rpg has such fun combat, loot, and crafting? I don't think so.

Those were all good, but the game didn't give you much reason to actually use the mechanics it gives you. If it wasn't so damn easy it might even beat Dragon's Dogma. It's a shame that they can't give it another shot.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Those were all good, but the game didn't give you much reason to actually use the mechanics it gives you. If it wasn't so damn easy it might even beat Dragon's Dogma. It's a shame that they can't give it another shot.

I'd love to see a sequel. Such a shame we'll probably never see one.

That's pretty disgusting.

And I say that as a big PC and console gamer.

The whole idea of being prejudiced against a platform is disgusting. But then it is pretty consistent with how screwed up the world is overall in other ways too :p

Melchiah

That whole thing made me want to hug my consoles. It's cheerleading like that that drives me further away from going back to PC.

Well, that and I don't like dealing with PCs anymore. I'm not a tech fiend. I care about games, not specs. More power to someone who does, but don't expect me to join in your fetish and don't act like my preference is ruining your fun.

Yeah, I was just reminded of how the PC experience can still be as cumbersome as it was back in 2003-2006, when I used to play on the platform.

This is what I posted about it on the Amnesia thread:
It all comes back to me why I left PC gaming in the first place. I tried to play the Amnesia sequel last night, but I couldn't save the Nvidia 3D settings on my laptop, and I sure as hell won't be playing the game with jaggies and screen tearing. I ended up fiddling with the settings more than I played the game.

I just want to play, not spend time with trying to make the system run the game as it should.

EDIT: On top of that, the game didn't recognize the GeForce GTX 850M GPU, and occasionally started to crawl during the dialogue scenes.

Top Bottom