• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Any PC gamer who says sub 60 hz games are unplayable are lying. Never seen a PC game look and play like Uncharted 4.

Edit: Agree with all the Crash Bandicoot hype nonsense. Please let the game RIP. We want new Naughty Dog IPs not old PS1-PS2 era games. These are probably the same people who are complaining about this generation being all about remasters and remakes

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I can't get into the Uncharted franchise because of the first ones terrible shooting mechanics.

I played a demo of it and uninstalled it after 5 to 10 minutes.

Haven't touched the franchise since.

jennetics

I can't get into the Uncharted franchise because of the first ones terrible shooting mechanics.

Totally understandable

Maybe just watch the first one (if you're interested in the story) and play the second one? If you still don't like U2, it's not for you.

LordRaptor

Any PC gamer who says sub 60 hz games are unplayable are lying. Never seen a PC game look and play like Uncharted 4.

A mouse is a vastly faster and more precise input mechanism than an analogue stick, and lower framerates have the side effect of noticably jittery or unresponsive inputs.
It's particularly noticeable where the mouse also controls the camera.

Yea I agree on some of these comments on uncharted 4. It's not a very good game. The story is way too slow, Jesus naughty dog stop all these cinematic crap and put more gameplay and action in it. I have played all the uncharted games but 4 is just unbearably slow. I stopped playing after the scuba diving section because I just couldn't keep going.
The multiplayer is brutal and amazing though. I love it and it's one of my favorite multiplayer in quite a while.

Ratchet and clank is easily one of the best games this year so far.

Not really an "opinion," but something I do in a lot of games... I will often use Cheat Engine to give myself unlimited currency or XP or whatever limited resource there is just to breeze through the progression and grind so I can actually experience the story and gameplay.

Playing some games this way makes them much more enjoyable, for others it just highlights how much filler there is. I gave myself everything in Far Cry 4 and really enjoyed that game and there was still an element of challenge and excitement to it. I set myself at max level in Fallout 4 and the game became pointless.

Not really an "opinion," but something I do in a lot of games... I will often use Cheat Engine to give myself unlimited currency or XP or whatever limited resource there is just to breeze through the progression and grind so I can actually experience the story and gameplay.

Playing some games this way makes them much more enjoyable, for others it just highlights how much filler there is. I gave myself everything in Far Cry 4 and really enjoyed that game and there was still an element of challenge and excitement to it. I set myself at max level in Fallout 4 and the game became pointless.

Well Fallout 4 is an RPG with no level cap....

A mouse is a vastly faster and more precise input mechanism than an analogue stick, and lower framerates have the side effect of noticably jittery or unresponsive inputs.

On the other hand, a keyboard as a videogame controller is literally worse and more archaic than a NES control pad, which makes PC controls automatically inferior for most things with free character movement.

Doing that in an RPG is a bit weird since leveling up is the whole point.

But of course Fallout is such a shit RPG that doing such a thing would kill the experience since there's nothing really worth anyone's time there.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

The biggest issue with framerates is inconsistency. Uncharted 4 plays well at 30fps because it's locked with perfect frame pacing 99% of the time. One reason 60fps is so emphasized on PC is that it's a shortcut to overcome inconsistent framerate - just make sure the hardware can brute force the game above 60fps, then lock to 60hz monitor refresh, get smooth performance.

A real issue with console games and framerate is that it's rare to find a 30fps console game that has optimized performance. Big developers and publishers emphasize pretty pictures, because those can be used in marketing by releasing beauty shots. But way too many console releases suffer from framerates that jump between 25 and 35-40fps, and many have atrocious frame pacing causing constant stutter and freezes.

Melchiah

I don't like the combat mechanics that much either, but 2-4 are very enjoyable adventures as a whole. I was about to skip the series altogether based on the demos of the first two, as they didn't seem that fun to me. It was the same with Arkham Asylum's demo. Sometimes demos give the wrong impression, when they just portray separate scenarios and the combat side of the games.

Luckily, I decided to play the series after completing TLOU, and ended up liking it. The 4th one might be more to your liking, as there's more exploring and less gunfights. The combat sections can still be frustrating, but at least there's less of them than before.

I don't like the combat mechanics that much either, but 2-4 are very enjoyable adventures as a whole. I was about to skip the series altogether based on the demos of the first two, as they didn't seem that fun to me. It was the same with Arkham Asylum's demo. Sometimes demos give the wrong impression, when they just portray separate scenarios and the combat side of the games.

Luckily, I decided to play the series after completing TLOU, and ended up liking it. The 4th one might be more to your liking, as there's more exploring and less gunfights. The combat sections can still be frustrating, but at least there's less of them than before.

And 4's shooting is miles improved over 1. In terms of shooting/level design it goes 4>>>>2/3>>>1

LordRaptor

On the other hand, a keyboard as a videogame controller is literally worse and more archaic than a NES control pad, which makes PC controls automatically inferior for most things with free character movement.

I was explaining why sub-monitor refresh rate framerates can make a game feel more broken using a more precise input mechanism, not asking for justifications why the same "certain group" refuse to acknowledge how woefully inadequate dual analogue is.

And a keyboard is 'literally' worse than a nes pad? puh-lease.

I think Resident Evil 5 is the best RE.

I only like Zelda 1 and 2.

Simon's quest is the best Castlevania.

Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3 disappoint me.

I haven't played RE5, but based on your other opinions, I'm going to have to give it a shot.

I thought that my opinions on Zelda 1/2 were unique... I still had 'some' fun playing every version, but those are the only great games in the series, and Castlevania 2 is crazy good.

Fallout 4 might be my favorite rpg this generation. Bloodborne is a good game. But I dont think it would have the "goat" status it has from most people if it were multiplatform or even xbox exclusive in a hypothetical world. I think our platform prefferance makes us hail some games to rediculous degrees like they are next coming of christ just because they are exclusive. Hell I used to do the same thing with halo during the early 360 years. Also I thibk the arkham series got worse over the years because the games became too bloated. Asylum is still the best arkham game.

I doubt many people think this. It's a fairly simple story told and presented better than almost any other game.
Yeah, I think almost everyone has a basic enough understanding of literature to recognize that TLOU isn't a unique story, if we're going by plot beats.

But the value of a "story" isn't just found in the pure plot summary. It's in the writing and characterization (and with a live production, the acting), which is where TLOU succeeds.

Melchiah

And 4's shooting is miles improved over 1. In terms of shooting/level design it goes 4>>>>2/3>>>1

Definitely, but I still found some of the gunfights annoying. Particularly the one, that occurs in
the lift
section. There's just too many enemies to my liking, and that's one of the reasons for why I prefer the combat in TLOU.

Well Fallout 4 is an RPG with no level cap....

What I mean is I gave myself enough levels to have every perk. Sure, it's overkill, but it just serves to highlight that there's not much in that world that's actually worth doing if you're not grinding out levels.

Fallout 3 and especially New Vegas were still pretty good on the story front and there were moments worth experiencing regardless of the mechanics. But Fallout 4 was just a completely flat and boring world to me. Even the Nick Valentine stuff didn't do it for me.

What I mean is I gave myself enough levels to have every perk. Sure, it's overkill, but it just serves to highlight that there's not much in that world that's actually worth doing if you're not grinding out levels.

Fallout 3 and especially New Vegas were still pretty good on the story front and there were moments worth experiencing regardless of the mechanics. But Fallout 4 was just a completely flat and boring world to me. Even the Nick Valentine stuff didn't do it for me.

Fair enough.

Elitist1945

Bad Company 2 is extremely overrated. I used to be in the "BC2 > all" group, but recently I went back to playing the multiplayer and there's so many things about it I realized I hate.

For one, its insanely difficult to see your enemy. Players blend in to the environment, and that may sound good, until you start getting shot and can't see the enemy down the way in front of you and die. Secondly, I find the TTK is too high. And the base killing. I never fully realized how fucking stupid that was/is. Glad they fixed that with BF3.

The game does get a lot right though. The maps are great, the classes/unlock system are better than BF3/BF4, and it has better sound design IMO.

bennibop

1.)Halo has not been good since Halo 2 which is now 12 years ago.

2.) Witcher 3 is not a good game and its control are terrible.

3.) Souls games are not hard, they just require patience.

4.) IGN is a terrible gaming publication.

5.) PC gaming has many issues with frame rate as console gaming even with high powered rigs.

The GOG sale is going on, so I've been playing some games I bought and I really have come to conclude that modern developers need to look back at their predecessors and learn how to make games funny again.

Not fun. Funny.

Soupy

Banned
- The Order 1886 is a fantastic game. 9 out of 10.

- Halo multiplayer is horrible.

- Diablo 3 is MUCH better on PS4 than PC. Feels better with a controller.

- Zelda and Final Fantasy games are boring.

- Star Fox is the best Nintendo IP.

Fuz

Banned
I absolutely detest video walkthrough. I hate how youtube guides killed the written ones. Guess everyone's got Pewdiepie envy and are trying to monetize...
Video guides are incredibly unpractical and time wasting compared to the good old text ones, where you could have skimmed over to the point you needed extremely fast.

Also (again), fuck shoulder camera. That stupid trend is getting worse.

Video guides are incredibly unpractical and time wasting compared to the good old text ones, where you could have skimmed over to the point you needed extremely fast.

This extends double to non-gaming scenarios. I'm so tired of looking up solutions to problems only to have someone make a 5 minute screen cap video of how they do it instead of writing like 5 bullet points that takes 20 seconds to read. Not to mention how it makes everything less searchable as well.

Terrorblot

I absolutely detest video walkthrough. I hate how youtube guides killed the written ones. Guess everyone's got Pewdiepie envy and are trying to monetize...

Also (again), fuck shoulder camera. That stupid trend is getting worse.

It depends on the game content I think, for easter eggs I don't think video walkthroughs can be beat.

This extends double to non-gaming scenarios. I'm so tired of looking up solutions to problems only to have someone make a 5 minute screen cap video of how they do it instead of writing like 5 bullet points that takes 20 seconds to read. Not to mention how it makes everything less searchable as well.

Not to mention when you're looking up a computer-related problem and the only result is some shitty Hypercam 2 video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgJVb7eTTVQ

MoonFrog

Zelda has made Nintendo fans insufferable again.
?

It is better when it is all Nitendoomed and rehashing all the failures, instead of when people are excited and think Nintendo has just had a moment of relevance to wider gaming? Just don't like Nintendo fans being happy and boisterous when they've been defensive, grumpy, cynical, etc? That seems like a vested interest in seeing us down in the dumps lol. I wasn't here in the Wii boom years, but that seems like quite the grudge.

Just wait a week or two and it'll be back to talk about how Nintendo is failing gamers and being crowded out of the market until, at least, the NX reveal. Although if NX appears to be a good step forward in hardware and software...well, I guess you can just hope for the continued 'inevitable' decline of Nintendo.

(Personally, I've still got my doubts about this direction for Zelda and more serious doubts that it'll mean much for the wider core gaming community when it releases.)

The God of War 4 footage from E3 looked awful. It looked way too scripted, and it reminded me of The Order. The combat from the other games was quite fun. What I saw at E3 didn't look fun at all.

Nintendo hasn't been decent since the GameCube.

If we want video games to be art, then we have to stop censoring them and adding our values or beliefs to the works in question. No one told Picasso how to paint. Video game companies should be the same. That means if they want to make games with nothing but blue skinned naked females then they make a game with nothing but blue skinned naked females and we let the market decide if that's something the market wants. It's capitalism and it needs to be allowed to work without societal restrictions. If another company has a problem with blue skinned females in the buff and they make a game with nothing but orange males in the buff then it is what it is and we let the market decide if that will be successful. In short the market gets to decide what is successful and what isn't. Let the companies make what they want without society bashing on them for not being "inclusive."

GamerJM

Banned
I think Breath of the Wild looks amazing, but on the other side of the coin I ultimately just wish Nintendo made a Twilight Princess 2.0 (aka Ocarina of Time 3.0) instead. That traditional Zelda (post-aLttP, I know BotW is inspired by Zelda 1 a lot) formula to me is just infinitely appealing and I tend to enjoy the franchise less when it does something else, and open world games are really difficult for me to enjoy due to personal/disability-related issues. I would be completely fine if Zelda was basically just the same game over and over again.

What, Paul Rosenberg explicitly told him what and how to paint in exchange for money and room & board.

"From the age of seven, Picasso received formal artistic training from his father in figure drawing and oil painting. Ruiz was a traditional academic artist and instructor, who believed that proper training required disciplined copying of the masters, and drawing the human body from plaster casts and live models"

--from Wikipedia.

so yeah Picasso's own father -- a professor of art -- taught Picasso how to paint

Top Bottom