• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

Ace 8095

My Asus 670 top seems to cap out at a boost of 1278.

Nevermind. I was playing Crysis and getting artifacts. I'm just going to leave it at the stock boost of 1254.

Chris R

No wonder teiresias and rhfb's fps is way higher than mine, ya'll are running tessellation on normal and i've been running mine on extreme.

I did that at first and wondered why MY results were so low. Here is everything at max settings wise, again stock hardware.

So, 670 owners who play Diablo 3. How do have your vsync stuff organized? I can't seem to get it right. Forcing it through the control panel doesn't seem to work. Framerate jumps all over the place which results in slowdown.

Arucardo

So, 670 owners who play Diablo 3. How do have your vsync stuff organized? I can't seem to get it right. Forcing it through the control panel doesn't seem to work. Framerate jumps all over the place which results in slowdown.

I don't use V-Sync in D3 (120Hz display) but I'd imagine D3DOverrider is your best bet. Until they fix the adaptive V-sync in this months drivers at least.

Arucardo

What's wrong with the adaptive v sync?

I've heard of many cases where it causes very noticeable stuttering, but I think D3 is actually not affected by it. If I remember correctly it was only in DX10/11 games and D3 is DX9 afaik. Nvidia has confirmed the issue and said it'll be fixed in the next driver release.

So nevermind what I said, worthy trying the adaptive v-sync after all.

demigod

Force Vsync in D3, it works for me.

Yea, Im using D3s Vsync after similarly trying to use Nvidias Control Panel and having whacky issues. I also run FXAA on in the N.Panel with AA off in D3 itself. Runs great!

Yeah, this seems to work for me as well. It's off in the control panel, on in D3. And I've got FXAA turned on in the control panel.

And I've got it windowed fullscreen, which seemed to fix most of the issues.

MrBig

Played a bit of tribes just because I couldn't let my 670 sit in there while I wait for my monitor.

Capped at 60fps (1167x664), it never clocked above 600mhz. Very different, but nice to see that the card barely has to do anything to play less complex games

How's it looking for stock speeds on everything?

17gwQ.png

MrBig

So, I was pretty set on a ASUS TOP and it seems that there are issues with the card?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038786691&posted=1#post1038786691

Yeah, it turned out that the factory OC was a bit too aggressive and Asus doesn't test each chip thoroughly enough to verify stability. The more efficient VRM means a higher kepler boost, and some cards get unstable at really high boosts that others are fine at. For example mine boosted to 1240 out of the box, and I was able to apply a further +35 to that. A small amount of cards have to be downclocked by 20mhz or so. At that clock you should still be boosting to around 1200mhz though, which is higher than what any reference card can do.

Arucardo

So, I was pretty set on a ASUS TOP and it seems that there are issues with the card? It's hard to tell if it's the drivers or the cards themselves. :|

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038786691&posted=1#post1038786691

I'll try and see if mine will crash, I'll be back shortly to report :p .

Report: Went through the benchmark fine, core clock goes up to 1267mhz and when the temps stabilize at 71c core clock will average to 125x mhz. Looks like I got a decent card :) .

5GhcO.png

Might try running through it a few more times tomorrow though, since that's when some are saying it crashes.

demigod

I'm hearing some people can run the benchmark fine but when they run BF3, they crash and have to downclock on that. I don't have BF3 to test it.

MrBig

Also, the card reaches the first throttle point at 70c, so try not to let it reach that.
Set up the fan curve something like this and it should stay in the low-mid 60s at max.
ZjyAF.png

Arucardo

I'm hearing some people can run the benchmark fine but when they run BF3, they crash and have to downclock on that. I don't have BF3 to test it.

Mine runs it fine, everything maxed out. I've played maybe 5-6h of it with this card and haven't had any gpu related crashes.

Also, the card reaches the first throttle point at 70c, so try not to let it reach that.
Set up the fan curve something like this and it should stay in the low-mid 60s at max.
ZjyAF.png

Having the fans at 100% for long periods of time isn't exactly good for the fans, it'll wear out the bearings and the fan itself eventually.

EDIT:

Ran Heaven again with a custom fan profile, good results. With my settings the fans went up to only 59% and the temps dropped 10c, rose up to 61c and stayed there for the rest of the benchmark. Core clock also was pretty much a stable 1267mhz with just a few really quick dips to 1254mhz at one point. Score went up to 1180. Best part is you can't actually hear the fan at all, just the hum of my case fans.

MrBig

Having the fans at 100% for long periods of time isn't exactly good for the fans, it'll wear out the bearings and the fan itself eventually.

Yes, that's the point. The fans should stay around 80% but if temps start to creep up it'll quickly go to 100% and push it back down, acting as if 70c was the hard limit.

DTKT

So yeah, I'm bummed now.

The ASUS TOP card have issues, Gigabyte 670 has coil whine.

Which 670 am I supposed to pick. :|

Arucardo

So yeah, I'm bummed now.

I'd go with asus but that's just my personal opinion. This is my third DCII card and they've all been/are great so far.

Report: Went through the benchmark fine, core clock goes up to 1267mhz and when the temps stabilize at 71c core clock will average to 125x mhz. Looks like I got a decent card :) .

5GhcO.png

Might try running through it a few more times tomorrow though, since that's when some are saying it crashes.

Are you OCing? Because even though my rig is close to yours (3570K, GTX670) your max FPS is double mine (I only get 62.1). Which is really weird since the averages are so close (I get 43). How could that happen?

teiresias

So yeah, I'm bummed now.

My Asus TOP is rock solid and boosts to 1280 out of the box (I do enable a custom fan profile though). I've stress tested it with Heaven benchmark running the loop for over two hours total and have run the actual calculated benchmark probably about four times. I've also played about six hours or so of Witcher 2, and some of Ys Origin with no issues whatsoever. Playing Witcher 2 the card doesn't go above a temp of 62C, but keep in mind I have a Silverstone Fortress case which has always given me rather exceptional air cooling. Still, my hottest GTX460 in my SLI setup would go up to 77C or so when playing Witcher 2 with lesser settings than I'm running now with the 670.

Personally, I can't stand abnormal fan noises like the whine from the reference cards, or coil whine like you say the Gigabyte has (that's the first I've read about it). If you really just want an ASUS you may simply want to go for the non-TOP card and see if you get a good overclocker. That's probably what I would have done if I'd read about all these issues with the TOP card prior to buying it. I guess I just got lucky, but remember those with problems tend to spam message boards (I'm no exception ;-) ) while those without issues don't tend to post as much, so who's to say what the rate of failure actually is with the card. One can't really tell from message board posting to a large degree.

Then again, I had a very contentious experience with Gigabyte trying to get a faulty GTX460 RMA'd a year or so back, so they weren't really my first choice for buying a card this time - the card I finally got back via the RMA didn't have any issues though, but I sort of had to fight for it.

I'm wondering if QA is just harder overall for Kepler due to it's architecture's clock frequency-bending way of operating. Hopefully ASUS says something about this in the same way EVGA said something about their SC version of the card.

RS4-

As much as I'd like to get a Asus Top or Vanilla and exchange it if things don't go well, Toronto retailers are pure bullshit. They'll do anything to deny an exchange or charge you ridiculous restocking fees instead.

REV 09

my Asus TOP will clear the Heaven Max benchmark, but if I let it loop then I crash out after 5 minutes or so....this is at stock settings. The card seems to be doing well in game though. I haven't crashed out of anything yet. I'd rather not send it back to Newegg.

Edit: after going with a more aggressive fan profile like Mr Big posted above, I've gone through over 15 minutes on the max Heaven loop. I may test it further later...want to stop and play something.

demigod

When you say loop, you just let it run without clicking on benchmark right? I ran a 1hr benchmark at stock settings and no crash.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm glad I went for the Asus DCUII vanilla tbh, it was a safe choice imo, I've not always had good experiences of pre-overclocked cards in the past, A few I had to down the clocks due to crashing out, my main priority was to get a very quiet card which the Asus DCUII is, it's pretty much inaudible even on load, I've not even tried overclocking mine, may have a play down the road but thus far I don't really feel I need to, small real world gains for increased heat and fan rpm put me off tbh.

REV 09

When you say loop, you just let it run without clicking on benchmark right? I ran a 1hr benchmark at stock settings and no crash.
Yea. The Heaven bench is only about 5 minutes...how'd you bench for an hour? Different program or the loop method?

Edit: just had a black screen in Crysis 2 and had to C-Alt Del out of it. It wasn't a hard lock though. I looked at my afterburner monitor and nothing was spiking. Temps were fine. Not sure what happened...I would almost say that was a driver problem.

Hawk269

5GhcO.png

Personally, I let Unigine run for about an hour or so before I consider stable. I then do a few runs of 3dmark11 and finally I play some games for a bit. Especially high demanding stuff like Metro, Crysis 2, Witcher 2. But my first line is Unigine.

demigod

Yea. The Heaven bench is only about 5 minutes...how'd you bench for an hour? Different program or the loop method?

Was playing Dragon's Dogma so I just kept clicking Benchmark when it was done. Fuck just got back from the gym while running Heaven and it crashed on stock.

Orcastar

Are these the kind of figures I'm supposed to be seeing?

Bu3iI.png

My CPU is supposed to be overclocked to 4.8 GHz, GPU is running on stock. GPU core temp stabilises at 80c, is that a bit too high? I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things...

Hawk269

Are these the kind of figures I'm supposed to be seeing?

Bu3iI.png

My CPU is supposed to be overclocked to 4.8 GHz, GPU is running on stock. GPU core temp stabilises at 80c, is that a bit too high? I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things...

Yes, that is a bit high. I mean, you are within the threshold of the card easily, but you have to rememebr that Kepler begin to downclock a little once they hit 70c and even more as it get hotter. I would set up a custom fan profile to keep the temps in check. When I had my 680's I could run Unigine for an hour in SLI and never break 70c ( I think once it did). On my 690 (2xGPU's) I dont break 70c and that is with a +100 Offset.

Hawk269

Was playing Dragon's Dogma so I just kept clicking Benchmark when it was done. Fuck just got back from the gym while running Heaven and it crashed on stock.

How is that game on PC? It looks interesting, tried the console version so curious how the PC version is.

Arucardo

Are you OCing? Because even though my rig is close to yours (3570K, GTX670) your max FPS is double mine (I only get 62.1). Which is really weird since the averages are so close (I get 43). How could that happen?

My CPU is oc'd to 4GHz the old fashioned way, the whole turbo boost or whatever it's called is crap, it makes some games like BF3 stutter when it starts adjusting the speeds. Make sure you don't have v-sync on anywhere or a framerate limit set in nHancer or Nvidia control panel.

And the card is a completely stock DCII TOP, only added a custom fan profile now.

demigod

Ran Heaven for 3 hours while I was at the gym and guess what? Saw the crash when I got back. Going to return this card and i'm done with Asus 670 GTX. Now I really wish I didn't cancel my Asus 680 Top, that card got good reviews. Can't believe there's so many problems with the 670 Top, I guess they didn't bother to test this shit out.

Sethos

Banned
Currently I've added 100 MHz to the GPU Clock ( 1106MHz), 300 to the Mem Clock ( 3304 Mhz ) and it boosts at 1158 - Haven't touched voltage.

Think that's pretty run of the mill?

n0n44m

Currently I've added 100 MHz to the GPU Clock ( 1106MHz), 300 to the Mem Clock ( 3304 Mhz ) and it boosts at 1158 - Haven't touched voltage.

Think that's pretty run of the mill?

yeah slightly above average I think ... but stock 680 SLI is around 85 fps right? so 98 seems quite an improvement imho :)

but I haven't really been overclocking my 670s yet, thermals in this case are a disaster but 1250/1230 on the cores should be doable. Just got 84.4 fps at those settings (stock memory), up from ~82 fps at stock 1190/1160 boost. (PCI-e 2.0 x8 also could play a small role there ...)

Hawk269

Since we're doing some light benchmarking, does this look fair for 680 SLI?

iQQAC8SaJsABX.png

That looks good Sethos. That is right around what I was getting my 680's in SLI with a +100 Offset and +400 on the memory. On my 690 I get the same score with a +120 Offset and +200 on the memory.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm rocking 670 currently and it's ace. Runs physx with almost no hitch. It's a shame that the tech itself is clunky and unoptimized.

Top Bottom