• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware bans SW:TOR player over internet meme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it is just me, but I wouldn't set foot in any EA or Bioware forum simply due to the fact that their overzealous mods can not only ban you from the forum, but also from every game you own.

Also, this meme is very wide known (or so I thought). I constantly read it all over the internet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's a misunderstanding with unintended consequences, not irony. It'd be irony if he was actually very old, or if his statement was in a post all about wanting to play TOR and not get banned.

I see, you crushed my argument completely. I actually realise what I said is wrong now. Doesn't make the situation any less funny though. But who's to say he isn't a 35 year old basement dwelling Star Wars nerd whose only social contact is through MMORPGS.

this is yet another case of EA/Bioware stealing people's games.

lolno

Since when did being banned suddenly becoming "stealing games"?

I mean, let's look at the ridiculousness of that statement:

EA/BW made the game. They own it. How can they possibly steal something they own? And why? What would be the point of stealing something they already own?

Complistic

This has more to do with EA's policies than Bioware, really. Though buying Mass Effect 3 sorta defeats the point of speaking with your wallet.

Eh, i have so much invested into the mass effect story that I'm willing to put up with their bullshit one more time.

Of all of the myriad stupidities on the internet, one of the worst is the expectation that people stay up to date on memes.

Regardless though, its a stupid way of going about banning someone. Couldn't they have just asked him to provide proof of his age? And of course the whole nonsense of tying forums accounts to game access. That's just beyond the pale.

bhlaab

Bjn6c.png

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
"Dear customer,

It has come to our attention that you're not 13 years old. We have thus removed your account because you must be 13 years of age to use our service. Don't come back, you'll never be 13 years old. We does math good.

-- Sincerely, Those Wacky People at EA Bioware

p.s. we really do hate all of you. Just so you know."

Berordn

Someone explain this to me.

Kid claimed to have reached battlemaster during the Ilum post-patch fiasco, Bioware moderator reports that he never was and nothing had happened to him, then punishes him for lying. I actually respect them for that one, minus the whole "loss of paid services" deal.

Yagharek

lolno

Since when did being banned suddenly becoming "stealing games"?

I mean, let's look at the ridiculousness of that statement:

EA/BW made the game. They own it. How can they possibly steal something they own? And why? What would be the point of stealing something they already own?

They sold a customer a game. Then took away their right to play it with no recourse and a flimsy justification.

That is unequivocally stealing.

Bioware are thieves.

Moaradin

Kid claimed to have reached battlemaster during the Ilum post-patch fiasco, Bioware moderator reports that he never was and nothing would happened to him, then punishes him for lying. I actually respect them for that one, minus the whole "loss of paid services" deal.

Well, I don't think he got banned. Probably got an infraction for that though.

They sold a customer a game. Then took away their right to play it with no recourse and a flimsy justification.

That is unequivocally stealing.

Bioware are thieves.

1) It's their game.
2) I still don't see how this is different from someone getting banned from any other game they paid for.

Meier

I don't even visit 4chan and I know this meme. It's extremely old. You guys must be under a rock, protected by some crazy meme shield.

First time I'd ever heard of it too personally. I don't think this was very widespread outside of 4ch and I guess maybe reddit or something.

Berordn

1) It's their game.
2) I still don't see how this is different from someone getting banned from any other game they paid for.

1. It's a service being paid for by the consumer to access it. They are denying access to something they've paid for. It's not theft, since you enjoy the semantics, but it's not legitimate business either.
2. If you get banned from the WoW forums, you simply lose the ability to post on the WoW forums. Your access to the game remains uninterrupted. If you do something ban-worthy in WoW itself, your account is frozen, no further charges are incurred, and you retain access to your other Battle.net games unless you've proven to be that much of a detriment to the service. Multiple warnings are given except for a few zero-tolerance offences, and customer support is such that they'll usually listen and lift a ban if they feel like you've learned. They are not remotely the same.

Yagharek

1) It's their game.

How about this scenario:

I go and buy an MA-rated game when I'm under age, for $100 (typical Australian example from 1995).
I write a letter to a gaming magazine about it and get published in their next issue (disclosing my age in the process)
Publisher finds out, comes into my house and takes it from me.

That's basically what has happened here. A customer has paid money for the game, disclosed their age in a public forum (which by all accounts is probably not their real age) and been banned from playing a game they paid money for. The game, being online only, is now essentially worthless to them.

Instead of being unreasonable, bioware should have done one of two things:
1. Taken it as the joke it is or;
2. Taken steps to verify the player's age

Instead, they simply stole it from him. No questions, no investigation, no appeal process, no refunds.

If they didn't steal the game, they at the very least stole his money.

Bioware = thieves.

1. It's a service being paid for by the consumer to access it. They are denying access to something they've paid for. It's not theft, since you enjoy the semantics, but it's not legitimate business either.
2. If you get banned from the WoW forums, you simply lose the ability to post on the WoW forums. Your access to the game remains uninterrupted. If you do something ban-worthy in WoW itself, your account is frozen, no further charges are incurred, and you retain access to your other Battle.net games unless you've proven to be that much of a detriment to the service. Multiple warnings are given except for a few zero-tolerance offences, and customer support is such that they'll usually listen and lift a ban if they feel like you've learned. They are not remotely the same.

1) Until we start hearing about how EA handles bans, I really don't think we can comment on the financial issues pertaining to the customer.

2) I feel like you're assuming that EA continues to charge you after you have been banned, which is a myth that has been debunked.

I'm in no way saying that EA is at the same level of Blizzard when it comes to this issue, but calling them thieves because someone broke the TOS is a bit much.

That's ridiculous, and horrible customer service. If they seriously suspected he was under 13, they should have been required to confirm the fact, or at least they should have done so out of courtesy. Being a dick to your customers is not a good business strategy.

If someone says they are 12 on their message boards they don't need to go out of their way to confirm that fact.

It's a stupid meme that most people here haven't even heard of before. Bioware banned him and that's it.

This is funny until you realize it cuts off access from a game someone paid for.

Exactly.

They deserve to be pirated, once, for every time they do this.

If someone says they are 12 on their message boards they don't need to go out of their way to confirm that fact.

It's a stupid meme that most people here haven't even heard of before. Bioware banned him and that's it.

Meme nothing. It could just be a sarcastic quip.

Exactly.

They deserve to be pirated, once, for every time they do this.

LOL.

He paid for it and then claimed he was 12. The game states Teen right on the box.

There are plenty of reasons to give Bioware a hard time but I don't think this is one of them.

And sometimes "sarcastic quips" land you in hot water. I've had experiences with that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
LOL.

He paid for it and then claimed he was 12. The game states Teen right on the box.

There are plenty of reasons to give Bioware a hard time but I don't think this is one of them.
I don't even think stores enforce the ESRB Teen rating, so I'm not sure how that's a factor here.

Complistic

LOL.

And sometimes "sarcastic quips" land you in hot water. I've had experiences with that.

He didn't claim he was 12, it was suppose to be a joke (although a bad and annoying one) in response to another post.

Of all of the myriad stupidities on the internet, one of the worst is the expectation that people stay up to date on memes.

Regardless though, its a stupid way of going about banning someone. Couldn't they have just asked him to provide proof of his age? And of course the whole nonsense of tying forums accounts to game access. That's just beyond the pale.

I hope after banning his account they will still accept valid proof of his age. I agree though, it's ridiculous to think that everyone has to keep up with the countless memes on the internet just so they can "get" the joke someone is making.

He made a joke about being 12. Someone took it seriously and now shit is happening.

I'm curious of what Microsoft's TOS says about people under 12 playing Teen and up games is?

Judging by Halo, they aren't enforcing it.

Qwomo

LOL.

He didn't claim he was 12.

I don't even think stores enforce the ESRB Teen rating, so I'm not sure how that's a factor here.

In Canada, at least in Ontario, they are.

He didn't claim he was 12, it was suppose to be a joke (although a bad and annoying one) in response to another post.

Are the forum Mods supposed to keep up with all the countless jokes on the Internet?

I do think Bioware should give him an opportunity to provide proof of his age in order to reinstate his account.

He didn't claim he was 12.

I'm 12 and what is this?
I'm joking mods.

Wallach

Are the forum Mods supposed to keep up with all the countless jokes on the Internet?

I do think Bioware should give him an opportunity to provide proof of his age in order to reinstate his account.

I'm pretty sure the guy could e-mail the address that he was given and get the suspension taken off if he wanted.

He doesn't give a shit, though. Read the description of his video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom