• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davedough

There's this guy in the office across the hall from mine. I can see him clearly. He's about in his late 50s - early 60s. His name is Craig.

He's having a full on, hugely animated, pissed off conversation about something. Arms flailing, accented motions that would insinuate he's making very clear and precise points about what it is that was done wrong and how it should have been handled. The strange thing here is that no sound is coming from his mouth and he's completely alone in his cube. It's quite entertaining to watch.

There's this guy in the office across the hall from mine. I can see him clearly. He's about in his late 50s - early 60s. His name is Craig.

He's having a full on, hugely animated, pissed off conversation about something. Arms flailing, accented motions that would insinuate he's making very clear and precise points about what it is that was done wrong and how it should have been handled. The strange thing here is that no sound is coming from his mouth and he's completely alone in his cube. It's quite entertaining to watch.

If he goes crazy, you'd probably be the first guy in his war path.

Give him some candy.

Davedough

I just started yet another game without finishing the games I already started playing.

Once I stopped caring about that and realized that I'm having fun with whatever I'm playing at the moment, that wasn't that big of a deal to me. I paid for the games, they're mine and I can neglect them for however long I want.

Sadetar

My mother is hilarious. She's gotten addicted to the free child's MMO, Monkey Quest. I'm talking to her on AIM and she's complaining because she cant play it. I asked why. She said that she is afraid that all the kids on there would shy away from playing with a 62 year old woman, so she pretends to be a 14 year old boy so people will group with her on quests. I told her that Chris Hansen is going to show up at her house and exploit her lies she makes to children. She says she cant sign on because other people in her friends list will ask her why she's not at school.

Its a proud moment in a gamer's life when your mother says "God damnit, I'm almost a level 37 chimp fu warrior and I have quests to do!"
Hahhahaha. Best. :D

I sometimes pretend to be 9-year-old little boy from London called Bob while I am on Xbox... ^__^

You people added each other on facebook?
I feel so left out.
Heh, just like in real life.
Don't worry darling.

I am sure we are all madly in love with you.

Give him some candy.
If he does, I want some too.

Even though I admit I have once in my life actually refused to accept candies. Long story short, after this gentleman in a bowling hat gave me his seet in the bus and didn't leave as I was expecting him to do, but just continued standing next to me and finally ended up getting a whole huge chocolate bar from his inner chest pocket, I just felt too much like a little girl to take it even when he offered... How suspicious it is to carry a huge chocolate bar in your chest pocket anyways all the time...

Davedough

We've been facebook friends for a while don't trip

Edit: I am currently standing in front of a middle school...im not gonna say why. I do look quite suspicious though.
Oh and BTW Facebook friend. Happy Birthday. =P

I, like doitlive, would not have known it was your birthday today. But unlike doitlive, I found out on Facebook

Puddles

Banned
Good opening lines for a novel:

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." - The Dark Tower

"The sky above the port was the color of television tuned to a dead channel." - Neuromancer

"The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer. They set forth at daybreak to see a man beheaded, twenty in all, and Bran rode among them, nervous with excitement." - A Game of Thrones

Bad opening lines for a novel: The shit I write.

Davedough

Good opening lines for a novel:

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." - The Dark Tower

"The sky above the port was the color of television tuned to a dead channel." - Neuromancer

"The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer. They set forth at daybreak to see a man beheaded, twenty in all, and Bran rode among them, nervous with excitement." - A Game of Thrones

Bad opening lines for a novel: The shit I write.
Iknowthatfeelbro.png

I've trashed a novel I've tried writing for over a year now about eight different times because it is all unadulterated crap

That is why I tend to write one off short stories rather than attempting any sort of novel...I feel a novel you have to write most of it brainstorm style otherwise you have no structue and you end up writi g random shit

Never tried to write a novel.

I have however tried to write lyrics. I've only written two sets which I think are any good. And one of those is a really dumb 10 second joke song.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Just remember, if your writing has hit rock bottom then the only way to go is up :D

My mother bought yet another game. "Walk It Out". It's a game... where you walk to music. Fishing games I can understand. DANCING games I can understand. Walking games... I can't even think of an appropriate comment.

Davedough

Just remember, if your writing has hit rock bottom then the only way to go is up :D

My mother bought yet another game. "Walk It Out". It's a game... where you walk to music. Fishing games I can understand. DANCING games I can understand. Walking games... I can't even think of an appropriate comment.

You can walk in Amalur and the music is pretty good.

I remember hearing about that game.

I guess it's not bad for what it is? There is actually a genre of walking games.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's 77 degrees, what a gorgeous day. However, I now have to write a paper after just getting back from work. Puddles can you infuse me with some writing talent? Just a short dose, maybe 5 hours worth.

Davedough

You know... aside from the obvious... sometimes having kids and a house is awesome.

I will be getting upwards of $6800 federal and $1200 state back on my taxes this year. Holy party time!

/bragthread

Sadetar

You know... aside from the obvious... sometimes having kids and a house is awesome.

I will be getting upwards of $6800 federal and $1200 state back on my taxes this year. Holy party time!

/bragthread
...And then you can start to count how much money you have but to the said kids and house... ;)

Its moving money for when I go back east in September =).

I do need a new entertainment center though. I have all the goodies, I just dont have anything nice to put them in.

To be honest, I think I like the "newness" of things more than owning them.

I bought a nice 49-inch bravia to play video games on and I play almost everything on my 26-inch LG because it's more convenient being right next to my computer.

.la1n

/bragthread

Fly you and your wife out to LA when I am visiting?

edit: Guess I'll give StarHawk another go since it's open beta now. The closed beta left a lot to be desired.

AcridMeat

Banned
What kind of paper is it?
Making an argument about what a contemporary ad says by applying the stuff we learned from Marchand's writing on advertising in the 20's and 30's to back it up. Not writing what the ad itself says explicitly or the implied meaning, but an argument of what it says as a whole.

The ad I chose is bad. Well, I'm still deciding on which ad to use. One is more offensive than the other.

http://i.imgur.com/dygaQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ScdwN.jpg

Puddles

Banned
Making an argument about what a contemporary ad says by applying the stuff we learned from Marchand's writing on advertising in the 20's and 30's to back it up. Not writing what the ad itself says explicitly or the implied meaning, but an argument of what it says as a whole.

The ad I chose is bad. Well, I'm still deciding on which ad to use. One is more offensive than the other.

http://i.imgur.com/dygaQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ScdwN.jpg

Definitely use the one about lubricating and penetrating. That's what I'd do, anyway.

I don't know anything about Marchand. My standard advice for all papers:

1) Make a list of all the points you want to make in the paper, with examples or quotes that support them. Based on this, come up with a rough thesis.
2) Arrange your arguments into an order that flows well. Each idea should flow into the next.
3) Write the introduction and conclusion last. Finalize your thesis based on what you've written in the body of your paper.

AcridMeat

Banned
Definitely use the one about lubricating and penetrating. That's what I'd do, anyway.

I don't know anything about Marchand. My standard advice for all papers:

1) Make a list of all the points you want to make in the paper, with examples or quotes that support them.
2) Arrange them into an order that flows well. Each idea should flow into the next.
3) Write the introduction and conclusion last.
Doing 1 and 2 at the moment. I, too thought that was hilarious but am more focused for the paper's sake on the roach coach line.

edit: Unrelated, BT is pretty good.

Puddles

Banned
Be sure to have an idea of where the argument is going. Don't try to come up with a hodgepodge thesis at the end; you should be able to summarize your overall argument before you do serious work on the body. However, be ready to change it if your paper starts heading in a different direction than you originally anticipated.

That makes sense to me; hope it makes sense to you.

Sadetar

Be sure to have an idea of where the argument is going. Don't try to come up with a hodgepodge thesis at the end; you should be able to summarize your overall argument before you do serious work on the body. However, be ready to change it if your paper starts heading in a different direction than you originally anticipated.

It makes perfectly sense to me too, but I am naturally as lazy as humanly possible.

Do you want to learn to read and write fluent Finnish and do my graduating thesis for me?

AcridMeat

Banned

It did, no worries. I just found a note about the paper the professor made which basically eliminated the penetration ad unfortunately. Thanks for the input.

How is everyone?

AcridMeat

Banned
Nope, that is the reason why I would need to settle to the vaseline.
This country wasn't built on excuses. What sort of music would accompany that sort of escapade though. I went from BT to Vitalic so now I'm in a techno-goth place, don't think that suits it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom