• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

.la1n

Hah. There's probably a portrait of Dorian La1n gathering dust somewhere.

207643d1303866457-vimeo-interactive-talking-plush-portal-turret-fry-squint.jpg

So if you guys were in my position, would you involve the shelter responsible for allowing us to adopt a pregnant cat under the pretense that it had been spayed? I'm not even sure what to say to them, but most of those kittens are gonna need a place to go. And honestly part of me feels like they should be responsible for paying to have her spayed, at least, when all is said and done, as it was supposedly part of the fee we paid when we adopted her.

But I feel bad because they were super-nice and they are doing such a good thing. =/ I just don't know how expensive this shit is gonna get. Need to hit the vet first I guess.

I'm having a George Costanza moment, I think.

Chuckie

So if you guys were in my position, would you involve the shelter responsible for allowing us to adopt a pregnant cat under the pretense that it had been spayed? I'm not even sure what to say to them, but most of those kittens are gonna need a place to go. And honestly part of me feels like they should be responsible for paying to have her spayed, at least, when all is said and done, as it was supposedly part of the fee we paid when we adopted her.

But I feel bad because they were super-nice and they are doing such a good thing. =/ I just don't know how expensive this shit is gonna get. Need to hit the vet first I guess.

That's a nasty dilemma. I have no idea what I'd do.

Davedough

I would approach them, but not in an angry way. I would contact them and ask them to verify that the cat had been spayed and then remark on your confusion because the cat appears to be pregnant, shortly after leaving their facility. I would then remind them that you paid an adoption fee for the cat to be spayed and ask if they'll honor having it spayed after the cat gives birth.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would approach them, but not in an angry way. I would contact them and ask them to verify that the cat had been spayed and then remark on your confusion because the cat appears to be pregnant, shortly after leaving their facility. I would then remind them that you paid an adoption fee for the cat to be spayed and ask if they'll honor having it spayed after the cat gives birth.
That's the best approach. Don't make it a confrontation, contact them in a friendly way and from a place of apparent confusion, and give them the chance to explain and offer some kind of chance to make it right.

Yeah, I think that's the right way to go about it. Thanks Dave.

This really puts her initial affection those first few days in a whole new light. Oh thank god I thought I was going to have my babies in a homeless shelter

Clinical Depression.
I am pretty sure depression changes your brain structure due to the plastic nature of our brains.
I should have studied neuroscience.

I probably had clinical depression, and I now work in a Neuroimaging lab. My problems were thus:
A) I was overweight, dramatically underpaid and nearly completely devoid of social skills
B) I felt bad all the time, and I felt that I somehow deserved the torment of it all
C) I ate more, even when I was hungry, and I continued my terrible job, and I secluded myself from the non-Internet world, all partly as a way of punishing myself for what I was.

It was sort of like the Sonic Cycle, but with less fur.

How I hacked the system? I decided to change my mode of punishment:
A) First, I starved myself for several months. I literally ate nothing during the week (I have no idea how I managed this) save for tea, tic tacs and (destroying all possible alliteration) occasional chicken soup. On the weekends, I gorged (I believe the apt term here would be "like a boss").
B) Then, after I had somehow miraculously gone down 70lbs to a normal weight, I did whatever I could to abuse my body via trying to run and, when my body got acclimated to this, joining a cheap gym and busting my body with weight machines.
C) Eventually, my body started liking the above, so I changed punishment tactics: I started looking for a job aggressively. This was the worst part, because being rejected is the worst thing in the universe. This part took eight years.

I still get profoundly sad every now and then, but I'm in a sort of rut of constantly doing things that give me little confidence and esteem boosts, enough to keep the lumbering sasquatch at bay. It's kind of like being in a rail shooter -- there's constant progression that prevents turning around and going back the other day.

tl;dr: Maybe not everybody can hack the system, but even if you need medication to be whole, installing workarounds for your problems can help.

Also you all need to stop being American. OR organise some US-GAF UK holiday or something.

If it helps, in late December I'm going to be serving hot chocolate, making honey-vanilla fruit compote and corn-stuffed tamales, setting up a hammock for a party. We'll be playing Bul and Patolli, if there's enough time and space for them, and I'll have that really shitty Pitfall game from a few years ago on the telly.

So at least that particular day will be a non-American day (well, non US American, at least) for me and my friends!

I miss the days before the grudging, idealism-crushing weight of the realization that I am in fact "an adult."

Being an adult is the best thing ever. You guys must have had amazing childhoods or something. You get to help people and make the world go while still enjoying the fun things in life. The fun things are a lot better, too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you use a surprised face smiley with a lowercase o at the end of a parenthetical statement it looks like a smiling clown face with a big nose (like this :eek:).

I have also had a Costanza moment, but a different kind.

I had a lord of the idiots moment. As anyone on Facebook can see.

Non-inverting input =/= output. That is why my circuit was not working. I had one slightly misplaced wire. Entirely because of that.

...yup.

Also I'm going to miss summer holidays when I finish uni. Having to work almost every day of the year is just too depressing a thought :C

Being an adult is being able to eat pudding for every meal of the day, but knowing it will make you terribly ill if you do so.

Here's my evening schedule of late:

Eat giant "unhealthy" box of deluxe macaroni and cheese (YAY!)
Play with hula hoop (YAY!)
Watch Batman (YAY!)
Make and eat quesadillas (YAY!)
Play more with hula hoop (YAY!)
Take shower (boo until the water actually hits me then yay)

These are all really fun activities (also, "Facebook" is probably in between each of these activities), but they are also quite responsible. And my body feels great because the fun activities balance out the fun eating. :)

I'm gonna mix the schedule up this coming week, I think, by playing with my giant dinosaur thing that I haven't played with in a couple months. Or maybe I'll check my EL-wire to see if it's broken or just has cosmetic damage on its transformer (yay, Transformers!).

Davedough

I do not know of this free pancake phenomenon. Educate a hawk plz

Do you like pancakes for dinner? Then today is your lucky day. For 15 hours on Tuesday, February 28, the more than 1,500 IHOP restaurants across the country will serve free flapjacks to customers in celebration of National Pancake Day. All you have to do is show up and eat.

Between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., diners at IHOP will each receive a short stack of the eatery's famous buttermilk pancakes (one stack per customer) at no charge. But the 53-year-old restaurant's hope is that customers will voluntarily leave a donation for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals in an effort to reach a goal of $2.7 million raised.

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-...ancake-day-customers-receive-free-short-stack

I'm a french toast kind of guy, but I would not reject the offer of pancakes...especially with fresh fruit topping *stomach growling*

Man, I feel so refreshed this morning, I have no idea what I did but I'm gonna try and see if I can somehow manage to repeat it.

Also, I'm really hating that I still get credit card and bank account updates via snail mail. I already see the statements online updated to the last second, why would anyone ever need a reminder in the mail that's already 2 days late? Save the trees and such.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm a french toast kind of guy, but I would not reject the offer of pancakes...especially with fresh fruit topping *stomach growling*

Man, I feel so refreshed this morning, I have no idea what I did but I'm gonna try and see if I can somehow manage to repeat it.

Also, I'm really hating that I still get credit card and bank account updates via snail mail. I already see the statements online updated to the last second, why would anyone ever need a reminder in the mail that's already 2 days late? Save the trees and such.
Almost all banks and cards offer paperless statements now. If you mention which I might be able to link you.

Morning HP =). Can I interest you in a free pancake?

I might quease it up. :p But if I make it past 10A.M. I'll take you up on it.

I would also like a kitten with that pancake, Echo. (Sorry they put you in this situation after you generously adopted her. :( Kitties ARE cute, though!)

Good evening Prota.

Evening, Tence.

Forget your coffee HP?

Just slept for shit last night. -_- Coffee will not help me out of this.

I would also like a kitten with that pancake, Echo. (Sorry they put you in this situation after you generously adopted her. :( Kitties ARE cute, though!)

It's actually kinda weird how well it's working out...assuming, you know. It works out. As in no ruined carpet, no stillbirths on my 5 y/o's floor in the middle of the night, it doesn't end up costing a ridiculous amount of money...etc.

You may recall we went in wanting two cats - specifically, a mother and one of her kittens if possible - and were told this one was too much of a diva for a pal. And lo and behold, we are getting exactly what we wanted. We have to work for it a little but that's okay. I just hope we can find homes for the rest; one kitten will be enough for this household.

We are happy to do it. Like I said she's family now. But I do hope Cat Adoption Team will help us distribute the kittens to good homes and, hopefully, pay for the spay we already paid for.

You just haven't had enough yet! :)
Sorry though =/ Didn't really sleep myself but then I'm sitting at home, so whatevs.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It's both for me. It takes me until 5am to fall asleep no matter when I go to bed, and then after that any tiny noise could wake me up.

Sup ya'll. What a crazy weekend. Back to school and junk today though -_-

I'm gonna eat spinach for breakfast.

Why the disappointing face about going back to school? It's a chance to meet new people with idealistic goals with a light infused trackway to the end of a "life's goal" tunnel. Spinach for breakfast is awesome, as long as you serve it by crushing it out of can and into the air.

Aw that sucks. I know you weren't feeling good yesterday and this ended up being the result :(. I hope this day goes by faster for you so you can just get home and unwind though...maybe this thread needs to take a turn for the interesting in order to make the time fly.

Well, I know you like cats, so here's a pic of my kitty

qg9ar.png

InsomniGAF unite!

*brofist while yawning*

It's actually kinda weird how well it's working out...assuming, you know. It works out. As in no ruined carpet, no stillbirths on my 5 y/o's floor in the middle of the night, it doesn't end up costing a ridiculous amount of money...etc.

You may recall we went in wanting two cats - specifically, a mother and one of her kittens if possible - and were told this one was too much of a diva for a pal. And lo and behold, we are getting exactly what we wanted. We have to work for it a little but that's okay. I just hope we can find homes for the rest; one kitten will be enough for this household.

We are happy to do it. Like I said she's family now. But I do hope Cat Adoption Team will help us distribute the kittens to good homes and, hopefully, pay for the spay we already paid for.

You just haven't had enough yet! :)
Sorry though =/ Didn't really sleep myself but then I'm sitting at home, so whatevs.

I do remember that, and it does seem kind of ideal (IF you can find homes for the others). Be sure to post lots of baby pictures when the event occurs! :D

And as Hawk said, Insomnia Gaf unite!

That makes two of us. Hooray!

But me not being able to sleep well is no surprise. It's been that way for at least a week if not longer.

Ugh. I sleep poorly, but not typically this bad. And reading your whys, they are exactly like mine. It takes me at least an hour to drift off and then I wake either for any little noise and/or I'll just wake up thinking about anything that's been bothering me. Shallow sleep = sucky sleep. :( Any remedies that work on your end? I already use ear plugs and used melatonin the previous night (to even worse results).

So what's the problem girls? Is it falling asleep or waking up at night?

^As I said above, I sleep shallowly and wake for random reasons several times a night. I have very sensitive hearing and everything wakes me. In fact, right now, just typing on the keyboard is resulting in a loud echoing in my ears bc they're hyper-sensitive after no rest. ;_;

InsomniGAF unite!

Oh and Afternoon Hiro.

Blargh. :)

Why the disappointing face about going back to school? It's a chance to meet new people with idealistic goals with a light infused trackway to the end of a "life's goal" tunnel. Spinach for breakfast is awesome, as long as you serve it by crushing it out of can and into the air.

Aw that sucks. I know you weren't feeling good yesterday and this ended up being the result :(. I hope this day goes by faster for you so you can just get home and unwind though...maybe this thread needs to take a turn for the interesting in order to make the time fly.

Well, I know you like cats, so here's a pic of my kitty

qg9ar.png

*brofist while yawning*

The kitty pic helps, thanks. For everyone who had a restless night last night, let this day go fast indeed.

And agreed, spinach is awesome.

SRG01

...flapjack is not pancake. What?

Also my Schmitt trigger is messing up the output of a sensor. It's annoying.

What kind of sensor is it? Are you loading it? Most sensors don't need Schmitt triggers unless there's hysteresis involved...

edit: I woke up no less than five times last night. And was after my numerous "goodbye" and "hi"s in IRC :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I had a bunch of spinach with gnocchi for dinner last night.

edit: wow, in isolation this is the worst first post of a page ever

need to make it more awesome

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Holy crap that is shit. Doesn't reading work? I fall asleep after a max of 10 pages

Reading just gets me excited :<

Ugh. I sleep poorly, but not typically this bad. And reading your whys, they are exactly like mine. It takes me at least an hour to drift off and then I wake either for any little noise and/or I'll just wake up thinking about anything that's been bothering me. Shallow sleep = sucky sleep. :( Any remedies that work on your end? I already use ear plugs and used melatonin the previous night (to even worse results).

It usually takes me a bit to get to sleep. I've never been an instant sleeper. Too much going on in my mind. I guess right now I have more to think about than other times, because I can't get my brain to shut off :< Sometimes listening to soft music helps, because it might distract my mind for long enough that it is able to switch off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom