• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to pick up a Vita later in the year, but that offer of a free 8gb memory card from the Amazon.uk pushed me over the edge.

Pre-ordered Vita wifi + 8gb card and Lumines. (This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered anything funny enough)

The price set by Ubisoft for Lumines at £35 was rather ridiculous, but at £15 it's far more palatable.

Exactly same scenario for me, only difference being that I didn't shell out the £15 for a game, as there was nothing there I wanted (althought it really made me wish I hadn't picked up Rayman Origins already for the PS3). I'm gonna wait until I can purchase Golden Abyss for about £30. Keeping a sharp eye out for Gravity Rush and Escape Plan too, maybe even Wipeout 2048.

patsu

Does this system have a clock application? I know it's a relatively minor thing, but it will determine whether or not I purchase the charging cradle for it.

They released a Vita clock app in Japan. I don't know if it will make it here. Read something about you can wake up your friend's Vita using the clock app. There's supposed to be some social angle to it, but the details are lost on me.

Alarm clock app:
http://www.screwattack.com/news/psvita-alarm-clock-app-feat-multiplayer-and-trophies

I think there is a regular clock for Vita too, but I'm not sure.

I have a question for the people who have both a PSP and a Vita. Is it possible to keep both systems with your PSN/SEN account tied to it? Or do you have to activate it only on one console? I'd like to sell my PSP to a friend of mine so that he can play with my PSN games, but I will still need my PSN account for the trophies and the games.

Ran rp

Damn, I just realized that the Vita is the first piece of hardware I have ever gotten on launch day. Every other piece of hardware I'd usually wait 2 weeks or at least a month.

Same here. This baby will be my launch baby and I will love this baby until the end of time.

Yes they did, in game informer.

Also, not that i expect you to believe me, but I have a few friends at sony... ps2 emulation is coming.
Do you remember which issue? I'd like to see that quote, as well as who it's from...

Still waiting on that issue =P

Any reviews or impressions on Hot Shots Golf? It seems like the only launch game I'm interested in picking up a Vita for.

I'm interested in some HSG impressions too. I don't have much doubt that it will be a fun game as they seem to have the formula down by this point, but there are a few concerns that I have:

1) I think all the footage I've seen has shown advanced shots. I hope traditional shots are still in the game.
2) I hope there are no mandatory touch/back touch controls that ruin the game. What I really want is for it to play just like the PSP versions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn. Noticed that when signed in, I can access sub-account information for my son's account. So I had a glimmer of hope that perhaps it lets you sign in with sub-accounts. Limited use (no good for multi-region), but would be useful if a family wanted to share access with separate saves/trophies.

Alas, didn't let me sign in :(

Ran rp

I'm interested in some HSG impressions too. I don't have much doubt that it will be a fun game as they seem to have the formula down by this point, but there are a few concerns that I have:

1) I think all the footage I've seen has shown advanced shots. I hope traditional shots are still in the game.
2) I hope there are no mandatory touch/back touch controls that ruin the game. What I really want is for it to play just like the PSP versions.

I was able to use traditional shots in the demo and I don't remember ever having to use the touchscreen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

entirely playable without touch. Actually I think you need touch to change the camera views, but thats just an icon on screen. All club selection, aiming and shooting is done with the buttons.

There are 5 or 6 shot modes, including the usual 3-click bar, and the newer concentric circle one and a bunch of others.

Its basically the PS3 version, so impressions on that will be valid for this one.

I bought it at launch in Japan and I'll be double-dipping for the download version when its out in the UK so I can get access to online.

entirely playable without touch. Actually I think you need touch to change the camera views, but thats just an icon on screen. All club selection, aiming and shooting is done with the buttons.

There are 5 or 6 shot modes, including the usual 3-click bar, and the newer concentric circle one and a bunch of others.

Its basically the PS3 version, so impressions on that will be valid for this one.

I bought it at launch in Japan and I'll be double-dipping for the download version when its out in the UK so I can get access to online.

Thank you! Exactly what i was hoping for!

graywolf323

I have a question for the people who have both a PSP and a Vita. Is it possible to keep both systems with your PSN/SEN account tied to it? Or do you have to activate it only on one console? I'd like to sell my PSP to a friend of mine so that he can play with my PSN games, but I will still need my PSN account for the trophies and the games.

you can have up to two portables activated so one PSP and one Vita would work

Amory

anybody planning to put protective film on the rear touch panel?

The screen protector I bought comes with film for the screen and for the touch panel on the back. I'll try it out and see how it feels, if I hate it I'll just take it off. I've heard it scratches easily though, which surprised me because it looks pretty sturdy.

Any word on Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for Vita?

I'm playing the HD remaster on PS3 that was released on PSN just recently and I love Just Add Water for the awesome job they did on this game. Very impressive graphics and great gameplay .... easily the best HD remaster I've ever played.

I know it's coming for Vita, but I Would love to see this on Vita anytime soon.

Nert

Thanks for the response, patsu. Eh, I think that I'll just go for it and get the cradle, as I'm only buying two games at launch anyways.

feli

I'm playing the HD remaster on PS3 that was released on PSN just recently and I love Just Add Water for the awesome job they did on this game. Very impressive graphics and great gameplay .... easily the best HD remaster I've ever played.

They take a lot of time to do games. The only think we know it's that they are making it.

Guys, I think I'm part of the problem. I'm passing on the Vita at the last minute to get that sweet new Samsung phone with a stylus I saw during the Super Bowl. Does that make me a bad person?

anddo0

Traded my PSP Go to Amazon for $82.00 in credit and used that to upgrade my wifi preorder to the 3G launch bundle. Not going to use the 3G but figure it's worth it for the GPS, and the free 8GB memory card doesn't hurt either.

So that makes it:

3G Launch Bundle with 8GB mem card
Uncharted: GA
Touch My Katamari
PDP Custom Crystal Case
Playstation Vita Cradle

+ Gravity Rush whenever it comes out

Exciting!

Nice deal, very tempting. I'm debating if I should trade mine in as well. I use it for music a lot (no smartphone, or iPod). It's small enough to compliment the Vita, which is way too big to be a dedicated music player. While the extra credit would be nice. I do listen to music more while traveling than gaming.. Tough choice.

Guys, I think I'm part of the problem. I'm passing on the Vita at the last minute to get that sweet new Samsung phone with a stylus I saw during the Super Bowl. Does that make me a bad person?

I'd wait until amazon offers it for $99 or less. Paying $300 for a phone on a 2 year contract is absurd when the price of android phones fall so quickly

- J - D -

That behemoth was a phone?! Thought it was a tablet. Lol

Yeah whatever, do what you feel is right. But you can't play Uncharted on it.

I'd wait until amazon offers it for $99 or less. Paying $300 for a phone on a 2 year contract is absurd when the price of android phones fall so quickly

Android phones are the Ubisoft of the mobile market I take it?

I've just wanted a stylus smart phone for a decade. I felt the commercial was targeted explicitly at me. Then again, my upgrade isn't until July--not sure I could sit on that much disposable cash for so long.

Respawn

Banned
That's indefensible IMO.

Why? The PSX came out in 1995. You can play them on PS3 and PSP and yet you give VITA a negative because you feel entitled to it. Be glad that are working on it or nothing at all, which they have all right to do.

DBT85

It's a shame that the V.I.P-case doesn't hold any cards/accs.
It is by far the best looking case.

I'm thinking maybe a little pouch like the ones you sometimes get with in ear headphones.

Even then for some reason I'm still not as convinced about Golden Abyss. Maybe because it's not Naughty Dog's direct involvement. It just feels more like a token handheld game than an honest entry for me. We'll see when it comes out.

Are you saying this having played it or read any of the reviews and user experiences? Or are you saying it from the point of view that it exists and is on a portable and not made by ND?

Can anyone else verify this? Is the Sony screen protector applied in a similar way compared to the Hori?

Yes, you can even see one being aplied by a Sony guy (along with a load of other official bits) in this video

http://youtu.be/BAcH_GaTNsY?hd=1&t=10m52s

Escape Plan is confirmed for launch in PAL Land, isn't it?
Thanks guys!

Yes. Yes it is. Expect about £15 to be the price, however it pure speculation!

Thanks to you and to Solarus for the replay.

I got the link
PS Vita Memory Card (32GB)

I have a few questions:
- Where are this shop? Europe? US?
- If you tried them, how long does it take to receive something?
- Considering they are shipping from the 25th, I have to plan to buy another memory card the launch date (22th) in order to play games right? Otherwise I cannot even start the games...

Thanks.

From the site they say they have warehouse and distribution centres in Canada, the US, UK and 3 others in Europe.

That plus the release date of the 25th i HOPE means that any possibility of me getting stung by import taxes and VAT is nil since they are going to be shipping it from their own warehouse in the UK and so would have already cleared that stuff when they import them.

I have just ordered one from them and cancelled my order from videogamesplus.ca on that assumption (and it was cheaper)

EDIt: Just found this on their site too
If you live within the European Union, no additional customs or VAT charges will be applied to your package, this will already have been taken care of for you.

Dont know if anyone saw this but Ninja Gaiden Sigma + is now a launch title.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-plus-confirmed-for-vita-launch-details-here/

More launch day games... Is that 27 now?

On the Hori screen protector note for anyone in the UK. The one they are selling on Amazon does not state whether it is matte or gloss. However the product code in the bottom right of the packaging is PSV-001U. On the Japanese ones 001U is the gloss, 002U is the matte. Hopefully that means the one Amazon are selling is the Gloss!

Android phones are the Ubisoft of the mobile market I take it?

I've just wanted a stylus smart phone for a decade. I felt the commercial was targeted explicitly at me. Then again, my upgrade isn't until July--not sure I could sit on that much disposable cash for so long.

Well if you pay attention to amazon wireless there are times when a phone is less then six months old and drops to a penny. I'd feel like a sucker paying full price for an android phone.

Also that phone is already out in many parts of the world and has been for awhile. I'd check out some reviews. Engadget has one I believe.

Respawn

Banned
They released a Vita clock app in Japan. I don't know if it will make it here. Read something about you can wake up your friend's Vita using the clock app. There's supposed to be some social angle to it, but the details are lost on me.

Alarm clock app:
http://www.screwattack.com/news/psvita-alarm-clock-app-feat-multiplayer-and-trophies

I think there is a regular clock for Vita too, but I'm not sure.

lol Im in tears after reading this part..
the app actually features a sort of multiplayer mode, where you can send wakeup-calls to friends via Wi-Fi. I foresee lots of trolling, cursing and broken friendships in the future.
This is going to be awesome. Send troll alarm at 4am to my buddy and unlock trophy when he picks up cursing and ranting. lol. so wrong and yet so deliciously right lmao

cyborg009

Banned
Dont know if anyone saw this but Ninja Gaiden Sigma + is now a launch title.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-plus-confirmed-for-vita-launch-details-here/

6828155389_316cbe8dac_o.jpg

The helicopter looks weird

So I already got the Wipeout 2048 that I ordered from EB Games over the weekend. Too bad I'm still going to have to wait over 2 weeks for a system to play it on! These cases are tiny! Few pics, sorry for the quality, camera phone:

ed23d7a1.jpg

875a0cdd.jpg

a791dffe.jpg

Liamario

Banned
So I already got the Wipeout 2048 that I ordered from EB Games over the weekend. Too bad I'm still going to have to wait over 2 weeks for a system to play it on! These cases are tiny! Few pics, sorry for the quality, camera phone:
Saw them in my local gamestop and I thought the same. Perhaps a little cheap looking. I don't know what it is, they just look too small like a pack of cards or something

Weenerz

Banned
Must only be Canada getting those early, I pre-ordered Wipeout in a shitty Gamestop yesterday and they didn't have any. Or online only.

Cyberia

This is all we know so far:

We’re still saying Launch Window, but as we have QA to go through yet, we’re not announcing the exact release date until we’re done.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...wrath-hd-available-now-on-psn/#comment-677149

Raine

I went to Vita Social Club today. Hmmm. I don't know how but Uncharted looks a lot better than it did when I played it earlier December @ Discovery Mills. :|

DBT85

I did not know that, despite having watched this video twice. Technically, I closed the video both times at the halfway point, as it seemed pretty perfunctory.

Thanks. I assume that these exact ones are included in the 2-pack.

Yes they are and you are welcome...su ...no I'll hold back from saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom