• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the full story, originally from Peter King

Over four quarters that Sunday at the Superdome, Favre was hit repeatedly and hard. The league later fined Saints defensive linemen Bobby McCray and Anthony Hargrove a total of $25,000 for three separate improper hits, and NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said the Saints should have been flagged for a brutal high-low mashing by McCray and defensive lineman Remi Ayodele in the third quarter. Favre suffered a badly sprained left ankle on that play and had to be helped off the field. On the New Orleans sideline, Hargrove excitedly slapped hands with teammates, saying, "Favre is out of the game! Favre is done! Favre is done!"

An on-field microphone directed toward the sideline caught an unidentified defender saying, "Pay me my money!"

tc farks

Was this posted?

You may not know him, but he is an integral piece to the ‘bounty’ investigation that currently surrounds the Saints.

According to a report, on at least four occasions, Ornstein, a twice-convicted felon, pledged his own money to the Saints’ bounty fund. In 2009, he gave $10,000 toward knocking an opposing quarterback out of the game. In 2011, there were two separate contributions for targeting the quarterback. And on at least one other occasion, Ornstein pledged his money in an email to head coach Sean Payton, which spelled out the details of the bounty program.

The NFL now has a copy of this email. The report indicates this highly incriminating paper trail makes it almost impossible for Payton to argue his innocence, or for the Saints to claim the bounty never left the locker room.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/06/report-private-booster-contributed-to-bounty-fund/

squicken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6BhdO59RM0

Cut up of Stephen Hill's game vs UNC. He is definitely an explosive player. That drop is awful, and his limping after was very crappy. I definitely would be excited for the Rams to go after him, but they'll have to see if he's grown up a bit, as it seems the coach at GT had some questions on his maturity before he declared.

WR Stephen Hill’s bad drops in 2011 shouldn’t hurt him in the draft, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. “I counted five or six drops among 28 catches,” he said. “But when you watch him catch the ball, he’s a natural hands catcher so I think it’s more concentration and discipline than anything else.”

2 hours ago RapidReports

Hill projected as a late first-rounder
by Larry Hartstein, CBSSports.com

WR Stephen Hill is projected as a late first-round pick, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said at Tech’s pro day. “He’s a little bit raw but as intriguing as can be,” Mayock said. “He’s just kind of overwhelming from a height-weight-speed and upside perspective. I think he runs too well and catches too well to get out of the first.”

2 hours ago RapidReports
WR Hill shines at pro day
by Larry Hartstein, CBSSports.com

WR Stephen Hill caught all 12 passes thrown to him at Tech’s pro day, including a fingertip-grab off the turf. He did not run the 40-yard dash because he already clocked 4.36 at the NFL combine. “What everyone wants to see is him getting in and out of breaks, which he does really well for a big guy,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said.

That 2nd catch was nice
3rd was such a blown coverage rofl

Knowing Georgia Tech, I'm surprised they threw him the ball three times in one game.

I'm surprised they threw the ball three times in one game.

squicken said:
http://deadspin.com/5890499/meet-the...bounty-program

Deadspin has the original story. Holy crap. Payton is fuuuuuuucked

Yep, if Benson doesn't want look like a tool in front of the rest of the owners, he's got to let Payton and Loomis go.

Unfortunate, because I enjoy watching Payton's offense. Maybe now that he doesn't have to deal with the grind and pressures of being a NFL head coach, he can go get the help he needs and lead a clean, quiet, sober life.

brentech

I'm going to get my own radio show and scream about how it's not a big deal because it's not a big deal.

Unfortunately, not only does it break rules of the game, but I have to assume these guys aren't reporting the money on taxes either. So it becomes bigger than the sport.

Since you're dealing with thousands of dollars, players could potentially be not reporting an average workers yearly salary.

While all of us can kind of feel like this is nothing in some way, it really has opened up a can of worms that the NFL is going to have to squash and prove they don't support.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
At ours, Wing Street is here as well. All around I hope nothing but bad for it. :snes

I was looking for something different for lunch one day, so I did a search online for hot wing places around my office. Never heard of Wing Street, must be new! I was so pissed when I walked up to it and saw fucking pizza hut.

edit: damn, Payton and Williams should probably be banned from the league.

I'm going to be an asshole and bail on the draft. I thought we'd start it was earlier. I'm going to be in Arizona fro spring training from Thursday morning to Tuesday and I'll be in a conference all day tomorrow.

You going to be in Phoenix?

As to Deacon's question, most people would probably prefer doing the mock after FA but I'd be down for twice if that's how we do it. I love doing live drafts in FF. How many rounds are we officially doing?

Wes

venison crêpe
Judging by PFT's article about Goodell's view on all these schenanigans earlier, that he wants to make an example of this kind of behaviour, I can see bans, loss of picks and loss of franchise tag coming their way.

Which Brees may not mind judging by how he is "livid" at the tag (according to ESPN).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd love to see the NFL come down with an NCAA-style penalty of being prohibited from the postseason for a certain time.

That would put a stop to this REAL quick.

Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis' statement on Bountygate:

"We acknowledge that the violations disclosed by the NFL during their investigation of our club happened under our watch. We take full responsibility. This has brought undue hardship on Mr. Benson, who had nothing to do with this activity. He has been nothing but supportive and for that we both apologize to him. These are serious violations and we understand the negative impact it has had on our game. Both of us have made it clear within our organization that this will never happen again, and make that same promise to the NFL and most importantly to all of our fans."

i.e. much like Williams - yeah we did it. Sorry!

jakncoke

Banned
Go to hell snes, im getting out this place as soon as I get a car and going to get different job as I go school for a welding degree in the fall ya fucker!

My guess is Brown told those guys to take the grunt of the fall head on and in exchange he will not fire them. Just my speculation but Peyton is a decent coach and it would not be a good move to get rid of him.

Go to hell snes, im getting out this place as soon as I get a car and going to get different job as I go school for a welding degree in the fall ya fucker!

Welding is a good field to get into. Got a couple buddies who are welders and they make bank for what work they do.

Sean Payton and Mickey Loomies statement on Bountygate:

They fucked up by admitting to it. Should've denied, denied, denied, claim no part in it, claim no knowledge, launch counter accusations, accuse the media of a slander job, accuse the league of conspiracy, etc. etc.

You know, the standard defense.

EDIT: Welcome back cajunator. Your team is in the middle of another huge storm at the moment!

squicken

Sean Payton and Mickey Loomies statement on Bountygate:

They really don't even admit to anything in particular, just that they embarrassed the owner. It's an even shittier apology than Williams'. I think Payton is a bit of a slimeball, and I imagine he's going to sue the league no matter what punishment it issues. Coaches aren't bound to a CBA and can seek remedy in the courts, where I imagine he could get injunctions and a messy trial if he so pleased

jakncoke

Banned

takerrise.gif

I was going to post the real one, but this one fits you better! wb

cajunator

Banned
Yes, it would appear my Saints are fucked.
But I've weathered storms of all kinds.
It will be interesting seeing how this all pans out. Probably a 6-10 season of misery I would reckon.

jakncoke

Banned
My guess is Brown told those guys to take the grunt of the fall head on and in exchange he will not fire them. Just my speculation but Peyton is a decent coach and it would not be a good move to get rid of him.

Welding is a good field to get into. Got a couple buddies who are welders and they make bank for what work they do.

Yeah and im hoping to get pell grant to pay for most of my schooling which it should. Then after I hope I can get into either a union welding job or pipe welder in the shales to make some real bank but if I don't i'll still be able to have a respectable income.

cajunator

Banned
I'm setting the Saints as frontrunners in the Shat for Matt 2013 sweepstakes.

Its possible. I think Brees will stay though. Nicks and Colston are totally gone.
To be honest I did see a little of this stuff coming. not the bounty thing specifically but something about the way GW had run the defense was odd.
Im still glad they broke Favre.

Definitely a unique culture in NOLA. Just not my Cajun culture. Different beast.

cajunator

Banned
dull.

Wanted to comment on different things but couldnt. so frustrating.

Anyway, it looks like I'm sticking with NFLGAF and animeGAF. Not venturing too far from either one. Maybe in the MLP community thread occasionally.

Regarding bionics idea of the Saints being the villains...I kinda like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom