• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tretton: PS4 Announcement This Year Would Be Distracting, PS3 Just Hitting Its Stride

Or you could just ignore that Sony as a company is floundering compared to its former greatness and can't afford to be anything than top of the pack next gen.

I'm not looking at the current situation. That's the whole point. The ps3 is doing fine now, but how long did it take to get here? Do you honestly think Sony can afford that again?
Sony cannot afford to repeat the mistakes of the PS3.

But then I don't think that's actually synonymous with Sony needing to be #1 again.

I'm sure they want to. But a profitable second or even last-place marketshare, is better than hemorrhaging money rushing a PS4 out of the gate.

Cornbread78

But then I don't think that's actually synonymous with Sony needing to be #1 again.

Their main problem with the PS3 is that is launched well after the 360 and at a much higher price point. That is what really screwed them over at the start. In order to compete next gen, they damn well better be able to launch a product close to the next XBox and at a competitive price. If they cannot do this, they will screw themselves again and be playing catch-up the entire time.

If they leave a large gap in release dates and launch it at an unreasonable price point again, they will flounder unless the machine: prints money, offers free games to everyone all the time, and gives blow jobs on the weekends.

mclem

2) The underperformance of the PS3 (compared to their previous two consoles) and the tepid response to the Vita thus far has put PS4 development on delay.

I wonder if they've fixed the hardware yet? Every week of lacklustre Vita sales in Japan (if there's no converse huge success in the west) must make them consider what they'd cut out of the hardware of the PS4 to hit a sweet spot of cost.

Razgreez

Their main problem with the PS3 is that is launched well after the 360 and at a much higher price point.

Biggest misnomer. PS3's biggest thorn was the loss of 3rd party exclusivity, even if just timed. Picture GTA VI, RDR, COD as exclusives or even timed exclusives and you have a foundation for some console domination. Arrogance in putting too much stock in their own IPs is what hurt them the most

If Sony doesn't drop the ps4 the same time as the new Xbox, they better have killer launch titles and a 300 dollar console at the jump or they will find themselves in 3rd place again.

RPGamer92

Banned
If PS4 comes out after 720, it needs to be at least $399 to stand a chance (and launch with an Uncharted/GOW game in America)

I wonder if they've fixed the hardware yet? Every week of lacklustre Vita sales in Japan (if there's no converse huge success in the west) must make them consider what they'd cut out of the hardware of the PS4 to hit a sweet spot of cost.

Hardware has nothing to do with Vita selling bad in Japan. Westernised launch and lack of games does.

Vaporizer

Banned
Their main problem with the PS3 is that is launched well after the 360 and at a much higher price point. That is what really screwed them over at the start. In order to compete next gen, they damn well better be able to launch a product close to the next XBox and at a competitive price. If they cannot do this, they will screw themselves again and be playing catch-up the entire time.

If they leave a large gap in release dates and launch it at an unreasonable price point again, they will flounder unless the machine: prints money, offers free games to everyone all the time, and gives blow jobs on the weekends.

No. what screwed the ps3 is not the price although it did sting. It was the wii and the loss of third party exclusives from last gen.

sony had no answer to both those bullets

RPGCrazied

Good. Not really in the mood to be buying $299+ consoles all over again. I'm even waiting on the Wii U. Until I see a Zelda or Metroid on that thing.

I really do think PS3 can live another 3 - 4 years. But thats just me.

legacyzero

Banned
I need a gif of that Stride bubble gum commercial where the ram is spearing that guy in the nuts.

Spit it out and chew another piece already.

Meier

This is Sony. They have a long stride.

giant_step.jpg

mclem

Hardware has nothing to do with Vita selling bad in Japan. Westernised launch and lack of games does.

I think all three are a factor, truth be told. If we could possibly know how the 3DS could have sold after MK7 and SML3D came out if the price cut hadn't occurred, we'd have a much better frame of reference.

Mario007

Almost exactly one year ago IGN had an interview with Reggie about the Wii, the falling sales and whether or not we could expect a new Nintendo console. Nintendo has just launched 3DS and said that they were directing most of the attention to the 3DS. So what did Reggie say? He said that the future of the Wii is strong: http://wii.ign.com/articles/115/1154087p1.html

...de ja vu, anyone?

Almost exactly one year ago IGN had an interview with Reggie about the Wii, the falling sales and whether or not we could expect a new Nintendo console. Nintendo has just launched 3DS and said that they were directing most of the attention to the 3DS. So what did Reggie say? He said that the future of the Wii is strong: http://wii.ign.com/articles/115/1154087p1.html

...de ja vu, anyone?

You posted this in the Vita launch thread as well. You plan on having an actual conversation or just doing some drive-by trolling?

I'm sure they want to. But a profitable second or even last-place marketshare, is better than hemorrhaging money rushing a PS4 out of the gate.

Well I can concede that. If Sony follows a model of profitability over hardware superiority, then they can very well make do with second or even last place.

The only problem is Sony as a company has traditionally competed with hardware, which tends to be the most expensive. Following a profit model means they either release to late to be relevant, or with hardware that isn't significantly better than the competition, abolishing the main reason to buy a Sony product in the first place over another. First party studios will only take you so far.

EagleEyes

It blows my mind to think that some people still actually believe that if Sony releases the PS4 at the same price as its competitors, it will just magically regain its throne.

...de ja vu, anyone?

Tbh with how the situation looks like - wouldn't it be better for Sony to wait 2-3 years after WiiU/X720 and hit them in the middle of the generation? They could offer something x1.5, x2 more powerful with way better price. I simply don't think Sony is in a position to handle PS4 launch just yet.

Mario007

You posted this in the Vita launch thread as well. You plan on having an actual conversation or just doing some drive-by trolling?

I've actually posted it in the launch thread by mistake and already edited it. I had two tabs open with the launch thread and this one and didn't see where I was posting it.

LosDaddie

Banned
I expect the PS4 to launch around 6mos after the next Xbox. I'd say a Summer launch for the new Xbox, and a holiday launch for the PS4.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
And when the PS3 is $199 it will be hitting its stride, when you launch at $599 of course your console will start selling once the price is down later on the generation. Just ended it already and dont price the PS4 so high.

If Sony launches 6 months or more later than Microsoft then they better have a system that is significantly more power (just throw in a better videocard and more RAM perhaps), and have first-party games that can instantly showoff the difference in visual fidelity at launch.

Tbh with how the situation looks like - wouldn't it be better for Sony to wait 2-3 years after WiiU/X720 and hit them in the middle of the generation? They could offer something x1.5, x2 more powerful with way better price. I simply don't think Sony is in a position to handle PS4 launch just yet.

TBH I would like this.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Far too many people are missing that what really matters to Sony at this point is turning a profit, not regaining "prestige".

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony needs to get the PS4 out in 2013, or else they're going to get left behind next gen. It seems like they think they can keep the PS3's momentum going for another 5 years.

Not really, Sony can hold out till 2014, 2015 even.
We all know Wii U & X3 is gonna be similar spec & not that much of a jump from this gen, with aggressive pricing & AAA exclusives they can combat both launches & launch later with a more powerful console & better perspective of the competition, it been done before.

Yeah...Sega thought that too.........twice.

We all know Wii U & X3 is gonna be similar spec & not that much of a jump from this gen, with aggressive pricing & AAA exclusives they can combat both launches & launch later with a more powerful console & better perspective of the competition, it been done before.

We don't know that at all.

Miles X

You're kidding right? If they launched in 2015 that would give WiiU a 3 year headstart and X3 a 2 year headstart. And your reasoning for them catching up is they'll have a more powerful system ... uh huh, de ja vu?

LosDaddie

Banned
If Sony launches 6 months or more later than Microsoft then they better have a system that is significantly more power (just throw in a better videocard and more RAM perhaps), and have first-party games that can instantly showoff the difference in visual fidelity at launch.

:lol
What makes you think that? The PS3 launched a year after the X360 and they are both pretty much equal in power.

:lol
No, we don't know that.

Kyoufu

The hitting stride response is just generic PR blabber at this point.

I just want them to focus on Vita and show everybody why we should buy it.

Cyborg

Well.......If Sony brings PS4 after a new Xbox I see them going under. I will buy only one hardcore console....I dont like that casual crap.

KageMaru

While I think Tretton is a tool, I don't understand why people are so down on the PS3 when it's selling almost as well as the 360 and has sold more in the past.

Momentum!

Sooo....momentum + potential = stride? =p

The Last of Us and Little Big Racers are a bit of a head scratcher when you think about it. 6 years into the console's life span and Sony is bringing out new IP games. Makes me wonder if Sony isn't bluffing in terms of their next system not being on the horizon. You would think The Last of Us would be saved for PS4 if the system is coming out any time soon.

God of War launched in 2005 and GoW 2 launched in 2007, so I think it's clear what happens on the prior system has no real effect on their next gen plans.

Why is it every time I read one of your posts, I face palm on reflex?

Where do you see the logic in this plan? How can it be 2x more powerful but better priced than older, slower tech? You expect Sony to sit on faster tech for a year or more just for it to go down in price while Nintendo's and MS' marketshare grow? You think 3rd party developers will direct resources on a more powerful ps4 and neglect the larger install bases of the other two systems in this imaginary scenario?

It's a great thing you don't run a company, it would go down in flames within the first year.

Yeah...Sega thought that too.........twice.

We all know what the next Xbox will be powerwise ? Really? Please do tell. Sources? Or are you basing this on the disjointed 'leaks' that differ so greatly. Please, do tell.

I'd be curious to see how this played out but I can't ever imagine it would be a success for, well, for anyone.

One consideration is that you'd have a very fragmented generation with 3 levels of hardware performance. Few publishers would want to support all three at once because of the work involved catering to each one's demands and levels of performance. A game that looked the same on all 3 would be ranted at by gamers because they will be expecting clear differences due to the perceived difference in hardware performance.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
KageMaru said:
You think 3rd party developers will direct resources on a more powerful ps4 and neglect the larger install bases of the other two systems in this imaginary scenario?

Change PS4 to WiiU and that's exactly the position Nintendo is in right now.

Where do you see the logic in this plan? How can it be 2x more powerful but better priced than older, slower tech? You expect Sony to sit on faster tech for a year or more just for it to go down in price while Nintendo's and MS' marketshare grow? You think 3rd party developers will direct resources on a more powerful ps4 and neglect the larger install bases of the other two systems in this imaginary scenario?

It's a great thing you don't run a company, it would go down in flames within the first year.

I was just wondering out loud. I would say something else, but don't want to get banned, so I will just leave it at that.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
I feel a couple things aren't being emphasized enough in these threads. First of all, even after launching at a silly price a year late Sony has still had a great generation. Their PS3 sales have recovered greatly and are nearing 360 sales. The PS3 is THE console in many parts of the world. People never seem to criticize Microsoft for lackluster sales worldwide but everyone is quick to jump on Sony for their success in America.

Second, too many people here think that the 2 billion loss from Sony is from their games division. From what I know, it's not. Their games division is profitable and, as Kaz has explained, it is one of pillars of Sony that should keep doing what they're doing.

Third, they are doing great things for the games business. They produce hardware that is feature filled, like the PS3 with blu-ray or the Vita with its touch screen, dual analog sticks, etc, etc. They also deserve credit for investing and promoting talent in this industry. Their first part line-up is bar-none, imo. With exclusives like Uncharted, God of War and LittleBigPlanet. They nurture talent and give studios multiple chances to get stuff right. That should be respected.

Sure they aren't perfect but the doom and gloom is getting pretty irritating to be honest.

MDX

How I read it

Sometimes I hate english...
Past tense or present?

Anyway, they are not going to announce anything PS4 this year.
They probably dont even have a game plan for it. No ideas.
No selling points. Not to mention the economy sucks.

They will have to put all their resources in getting VITA to competition level
against the 3DS and to recoup their investments from the PS3. That means their
developers will be busy making games for current platforms for some time to come.
PS4 in 2014 would be their best bet, if we even will ever see it.

I dont think any reasonable person can claim PS3 is hitting it's stride.
2011 was the PS3′s best year ever.

Code:
PlayStation 3 Retail Sales (*)

(Unit: Million)        

2006        1.1           

2007        6.5            

2008        8.0             

2009        10.0            

2010        10.5            

2011        11.0     

(*) EU+US+JP (Source: NPD,EA,Nintendo,Media Create)

2010 Hardware shipments: 14.4 million
2011 Hardware shipments: 14.1 million

I guess he didn't say if they were striding backwards or forwards.
Sony overshipped in 2010.

Most important market on the planet in January:
PS3 ASP=$272, sales 180K-200K
360 ASP=$299, sales 270K

I guess Sony needs to raise the price to get to #1?

#1? Microsoft overshipped in 2011...

On a related note

Japan in January 2012
PS3 148,870

360 7,080

France (Week 5 - 2012)

Germany (Week 6 - 2012)

Italy (Week 5 - 2012)

Spain (Jan 2012)

PlayStation 3 outsold its competitors in Australia during 2011

I really do think PS3 can live another 3 - 4 years. But thats just me.

The sales rate of PS2 and PS3 are virtually identical since PS3 Slim launch,and the gap has stabilized (unit: million)

1_thumb.jpg

The gap was created in US+UK+JP markets (unit: million)

2_thumb.jpg

That means the PS3 has a shot to beat the PS2 in the rest of the world.It would be huge for Sony (unit: million)

3_thumb.jpg

A declining US market is a big deal for Microsoft,not Sony.Since the PS3 is steamrolling the competition outside NA/UK, PS4 is totally unnecessary for the moment.Sony needs to get a 199 PS3 out there.

Top Bottom