• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Awards 2008 (2012 edition)

Durante

7. (11)
IDvTa.jpg
Valkyria Chronicles (Playstation 3)
Good.

Codeblue

Mirror's Edge is probably my most desired sequel.

I thought ME was overall a mediocre experience but the game was bursting with potential. There's an amazing game waiting to be polished and refined under that lame, frustrating, frequent combat, but I'm not sure it would sail into my personal list on that alone. That's probably the biggest surprise on this list for me.

Whoa, Mirror's Edge.

It's weird... Mirror's Edge is a game that drove me nuts when I first played it due to some (IMO) poor design decisions and unintuitive puzzle rooms. Viewed from a distance, though, I really admire what they went for and kind of ignore all of the negatives because of how fresh and innovative the game was. I'm not surprised it had such a jump considering that. Despite thinking the original was like a 6.5/10 when I first played it, I'm dying for a sequel because they could make a really fantastic game with that core if they stop putting guards in front of you and pushed the level design more towards keeping your momentum without having to memorize the levels.

Damn, now I want to play it again. It'll probably piss me off if I played it again!

Atruvius

So MGS4 wins again. Kinda hilarious considering all the backlash it got. But it was the best game of 2008, really made me wow on first playthrough. Consecutive playthrough aren't nearly as enjoyable, though.

sohois

Mirror's Edge remains the worst game I've ever played and though I can understand why some people like it I am quite stunned it jumped to such a high placing.

Mar

Mirror's Edge finally given the recognition it deserved. It only took 4 years. I bet a lot of people waited for a price drop.

The only complaint I have is that Burnout Paradise isn't in the top 10. But you can't win them all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
2004 re-vote is next, right?

So after all the hate MGS4 still came out on top? Can't wait for the 2010 revote when Mass Effect 2 is number one again.

I'm not so sure. I think a re-vote would see RDR at least pip it seeing as only a mere 128 points separated the two and BioWare appear to have fallen from many a GAFer's grace whereas R* have experienced the opposite.

Kikujiro

So after all the hate MGS4 still came out on top? Can't wait for the 2010 revote when Mass Effect 2 is number one again.

Yeah, this is too funny. Can't wait to see Mass Effect 2 win again. But I don't know, maybe they'll just do the 2008 goty revote until MGS4 lose. Then they'll do a negative vote only one, since those few haters need to see their opinion legitimated by some internet ranking so they can proudly show their GAF elite club member of my taste is better than yours card.

Kurtofan

I'm not so sure. I think a re-vote would see RDR at least pip it seeing as only a mere 128 points separated the two and BioWare appear to have fallen from many a GAFers grace whereas R* have experienced the opposite.

MGS4 had way more backlash and still came on top.

JaseC

MGS4 had way more backlash and still came on top.

But it (still) has a lot of seemingly less-vocal fans to:

A) Win the original vote by 1352 points, and
B) Win this re-vote, even with the negative votes taken into consideration

Edit: As this experiment has verified, a big backlash doesn't amount to much if there's a positive buffer to appease the vitriol, and I'd say that 2008 is one of the most middling years in general. The top spot for 2010, however, was hotly contested, and my prognostication is that the combination of the BioWare backlash and R*'s slight rise to favour will see RDR come out on top.

AniHawk

yeah. depends when people would want it. i would like at least a two month gap between these, so the next one would happen in april at the earliest.

2004 should be interesting, especially if people show up to vote. that was the first one and didn't have a lot of the stuff i wound up putting into the voting threads later on. it was also open the shortest amount of time, and had the fewest amount of voters.

i guess i should at least keep it open as long as i kept this one opened, instead of trying to replicate the original 04 thread completely, especially since this place has changed a lot since then anyway.

JaseC

yeah. depends when people would want it. i would like at least a two month gap between these, so the next one would happen in april at the earliest.

2004 should be interesting, especially if people show up to vote. that was the first one and didn't have a lot of the stuff i wound up putting into the voting threads later on. it was also open the shortest amount of time, and had the fewest amount of voters.

i guess i should at least keep it open as long as i kept this one opened, instead of trying to replicate the original 04 thread completely, especially since this place has changed a lot since then anyway.

Sounds good. :) I didn't vote this time around as nothing in 2008 stood out for me, however I'll partake in the 2004 thread.

Mirror's Edge remains the worst game I've ever played and though I can understand why some people like it I am quite stunned it jumped to such a high placing.

To paraphrase Chris Remo, it's an amazing game wrapped in a shitty game, and the shitty game is the one they put in the box.

Well on a good note it's very nice to see Valkyria Chronicles break into the top 10.
On the other hand there's not a single handheld game up there, guess i'm not too surprised with the standings though, whenever a list was just using the three game minimum they seemed to always consist of three of the big budget games.

I'm actually very surprised by the ranking for Mirror's Edge, I might have to take another swing at it at some point, I borrowed it and blasted through the main game thinking it was okay, seems I missed out of the good stuff.

Don

The King stay the King.

Glad to see Persona 4 make it into the top 5. It probably would have beaten out MGS4 for my number 1 pick if it had released in Europe that year.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
[Re: Mirror's Edge] To paraphrase Chris Remo, it's an amazing game wrapped in a shitty game, and the shitty game is the one they put in the box.
Except they also put the Time Trial mode, which actually addresses all the complaints people commonly air about the game.

If you played Mirror's Edge and didn't touch the Time Trials, you haven't really played Mirror's Edge.

Except they also put the Time Trial mode, which actually addresses all the complaints people commonly air about the game.

If you played Mirror's Edge and didn't touch the Time Trials, you haven't really played Mirror's Edge.

Plus there's the super abstract DLC. To be fair: I played through the game, but only at a friend's house- never got the opportunity to touch Time Trials much. Anyway, don't you need to unlock Time Trials in the main game? It's been a while.

But yes, the Time Trials are that amazing game.

It won the better game, maybe not the most suitable sequel, but it is indeed THE game of 2008.
Also, yay for Dead Space higher than on the original list.

Duffyside

Banned
Happy to see Mirror's Edge climb so high. It is a game that needs time and learning to fully appreciate. It's... it's sort of a sign of how good the idea of the game is. I remember how hard it was to get used to using a stick to control Mario in Mario 64 — how much trouble I had just walking across a log without falling to my doom. Then after twenty hours I was hopping and bounding around like the universe's best gymnast.

Mirror's Edge isn't THAT mind-blowingly good, but it does similarly deserve time to appreciate.

Also glad to see the Valkyria and Persona 4 climbs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
To hell with everybody who voted MGS4. To hell.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm just glad Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 won a category. Well deserved to get some recognition.

entremet

Meh. I did not vote, I'm sure many didn't either, which explains MGS4. It's just not that exciting revoting in retrospect.

I thought it wuld change a little bit more. But is good seeing Mirror's Edge and Persona 4 going up.

Also my museum quote in Super Smash Bros Brawl :D Also happy it went one up.

MGS4 still first, something I thought it was going to change with the number of people not voting it this time. Does this means that the ones with Mass Effect 2 at the top will still have Mass Effect 2 at the top?
Not that im complaining. Im going to vote first to that game in the next thread.

BeesEight

MGS4 still first, something I thought it was going to change with the number of people not voting it this time. Does this means that the ones with Mass Effect 2 at the top will still have Mass Effect 2 at the top?
Not that im complaining. Im going to vote first to that game in the next thread.

I think that's the reason MGS4 didn't move.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I can't understand the MGS4 love at all. It's like people played a different game than me.

Omikaru

I've said all that needs to be said about MGS4, so I shalln't moan about anyone's votes for that game, but...

I'm glad that Persona 4 has shot up the table! What an incredible game
which should've been #1

jett

D-Member
I can't understand the MGS4 love at all. It's like people played a different game than me.

People voting for that game probably think it should win GOTY 2k8 regardless of whether they really liked it or not, solely because it's "MGS4". They also probably haven't touched it since 2008.

Top Bottom