• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Awards 2008 (2012 edition)

Radec

mgs42xe018f.jpg

Bravo.

yeah. depends when people would want it. i would like at least a two month gap between these, so the next one would happen in april at the earliest.

So, when would be a good time to go back to 1985 onwards? I wouldn't want more than one retro GOTY going on at a time.

AniHawk

So, when would be a good time to go back to 1985 onwards? I wouldn't want more than one retro GOTY going on at a time.

well if i do one every two months, the last one should happen in october. or i guess we could alternate months. feb = 2008, march = 1985, april = 2004, may = 1986

You can get banned for that? Is it a rule?

Just so I don't get banned: I'm not being dismissive! I just hate how popular they are! Please don't please don't...

Haha, I'm sure you'll be fine as long you don't act as insane as the people in that thread. The iOS bashing was getting ridiculous, so I'm glad some people finally got banned for it

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
GOTY 2010 part 2 will be amazing due to ME2.

GOTY 2010 part 2 will be amazing due to ME2.

2010 wasn't a hugely memorable year. SMB, SMG2, Bayo, ME2, Vanquish, JC2. Bam. I do not give a rat's ass about anything else released that year. It was the year of FFXIII, of Other M.

But yes, people will get frustrated about ME2 despite the fact that 2010 didn't even have all that much choice. Maybe I'm forgetting stuff- still need to play Darksiders, and Reach was decent I guess- but eh- last year was when shit got real.

The MGS series is always going to be polarizing - this thread's just another example. To be honest though, I think it's great these boards are able to give such a ridiculously eccentric game so much cred, even with the divisiveness. I adore it, but I can totally see how you could think it's balls.

But for real, Mirror's Edge should have taken GOTY 08.

AniHawk

2010 wasn't a hugely memorable year. SMB, SMG2, Bayo, ME2, Vanquish, JC2. Bam. I do not give a rat's ass about anything else released that year. It was the year of FFXIII, of Other M.

But yes, people will get frustrated about ME2 despite the fact that 2010 didn't even have all that much choice. Maybe I'm forgetting stuff- still need to play Darksiders, and Reach was decent I guess- but eh- last year was when shit got real.

2010 was amazing. it's part of the holy royal 1998 lineage, where every three years since 1998, it's one of the best years in gaming.

super meat boy, vanquish, mario galaxy 2, and bayonetta are all top-of-the-gen quality games. then you have also-awesome stuff like sin & punishment 2, 999, infinite space, 3d dot game heroes, and more.

Fjordson

I think Red Dead may gain some traction on ME 2 if there was a re-vote (though I don't know if AniHawk is planning on doing that year). New Vegas might place higher as well. Both got a lot of votes in this year's GOTY thread as far as the best 2010 games that people played in 2011.

Jesus fucking Christ...

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots is a MESS. That's that.

I, myself (and many others including gaming media outlets), ate the drawn out hype build up for this game (which arguably had a lot on its shoulders) and the fact that Kojima and all his fame and supposed creative authority allowed his vision (as exhibited in the early trailers for the game) to be stepped on by his subordinates in the clusterfuck that ended up being the final months of development, is unacceptable. The "fans" of this game meta-analyse the shit out of it to somehow justify the obvious fuck ups (which Kojima himself has been quoted apologizing for) which ultimately made what was made out to be a masterpiece merely a "good" game at best. It's the tragic sum of its parts that make up the disappointment our little "sect" shares. There is a great game buried beneath the redundance and incohisiveness but that's not enough to warrant the praise it garnered before and upon release.

If you're a diehard fan, you can choose to take it for what it is and praise it because you KNOW there won't be an amendment. Kojima knows he damn near invalidated the past iterations with a game that cost Konami a testicle and the other's half.

AniHawk

I think Red Dead may gain some traction on ME 2 if there was a re-vote (though I don't know if AniHawk is planning on doing that year). New Vegas might place higher as well. Both got a lot of votes in this year's GOTY thread as far as the best 2010 games that people played in 2011.
i'm not going to touch anything timetokill/cheesemeister did.

2010 was amazing. it's part of the holy royal 1998 lineage, where every three years since 1998, it's one of the best years in gaming.

super meat boy, vanquish, mario galaxy 2, and bayonetta are all top-of-the-gen quality games. then you have also-awesome stuff like sin & punishment 2, 999, infinite space, 3d dot game heroes, and more.

Every time I remember I haven't played S&P2 yet, I die a little more inside. :(

I'd still rank last year better though. God, I've been spoilt rotten by 2011. But no, I guess 2010 was better than I remember. I always get it mixed up with 2009, somehow.

Good to see MGS4 win again. Its still my 2k8 GOTY. I would have enjoyed more time in the gameplay introduced in Chapters 1 &2, but the variety in the later chapters was fun too.

IrishNinja

GAF still puts MGS4 at 1, TWEWY (one of the best JRPGs of the gen) not even in top 10.

at least Persona 4 got more love, its cool seeing Mother 3 and games like Eclasia get more love after more people got around to them too.

congrats at blowing your chance at redemption, GAF - i thought we were Metal Gear fans here

Next up: A 1999 movie of the year thread where Phantom Menace wins.

haha, the most logical conclusion.

To hell with everybody who voted MGS4. To hell.

*sigh* im with these men. RIP jett, at least it was a good cause man!

Man, that quote thing was a great idea! ;)

Good work AniHawk. I didn't really enjoy MGS4 but it's nice to see Mirror's Edge and Dead Space remembered so fondly.

Shame about Left 4 Dead dropping though. I dropped a TON of hours into that game.

AniHawk

Man, that quote thing was a great idea! ;)

there's a lot of stuff you guys do that i can't do easily with a hand count, but the quote thing is classy and a good idea i could implement, and i figure it would be nice that some of the people who did explain their choices got some recognition.

Riposte

Super Meat Boy doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the other great titles of 2010.

In any case every time I see a grey name on a poster I see a lot of I think to myself: "How have I not been banned yet?"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That 2004 list is nuts. I can't even fathom a Halo game beating Half-Life 2 on GAF and yet it happened.

The re-vote will see Half-Life 2 claim its rightful place, and as an act of gratitude Valve will begin the ARG for Half-Life 3's announcement.

Zissou

It became pretty obvious that MGS4 was going to take it again early on in the re-voting thread, but I still wish it hadn't. What a disappointing game.

Tookay

The "fans" of this game meta-analyse the shit out of it to somehow justify the obvious fuck ups (which Kojima himself has been quoted apologizing for) which ultimately made what was made out to be a masterpiece merely a "good" game at best..

You're projecting. The only meta-analyzing I see going on here are from those so distraught with MGS4 winning that they have to belittle anyone who likes it through strawmen arguments and demonizing. This is a consistent theme here within this thread and the voting one.

TripOpt55

I forgot to vote for this. I would have picked Mirror's Edge. I think I picked LittleBigPlanet back in 08. Still like it, but Mirror's Edge grew on me more than any game ever. I'd love to do a 2004 one. That is my favorite year for games.

May16

2008? Valkyria Chronicles, then, now, and forever! ^_^

Seriously, that might be my favorite game of all time. Damn shame the third game hasn't come out in NA (it's so much better than part 2 in terms of level progression, story, and presentation), and even damnder (?) shame that there hasn't been another PS3 game announced in that series.

2008? Valkyria Chronicles, then, now, and forever! ^_^

Seriously, that might be my favorite game of all time. Damn shame the third game hasn't come out in NA (it's so much better than part 2 in terms of level progression, story, and presentation), and even damnder (?) shame that there hasn't been another PS3 game announced in that series.

or vita could come damn close. i'd already be content with VC3 :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
2004's standings

halo 2 might go down (i have no idea what people think of it now, but i remember some backlash a little after launch, especially with regards to the campaign), so hl2 could go up. kotor ii might go way down. not sure if the games in the top five would actually change. i think all of them still have good reputations eight years later.

Halo 2 over Half-Life 2 is fucking insane.

NBtoaster

I missed the vote thread..

Of everything I played from 2008, tbh only Fallout 3 and LBP deserve to be in any top 10 GOTY list.

Haunted

How the fuck can someone not like Act 3 in MGS4?
The only act that was halfway passable. European city, trenchoat Snake and well executed on-rails section. Of course, the ridiculously badly written and directed 1 HOUR + cutscene in the middle ruins everything, but whateverthefuck, it's not like people care at that point anymore.

Halo 2 over Half-Life 2 is fucking insane.
GAF is (was?) console-centric. Hype > quality.

hitmon

Nice to see MGS4 remain number 1. Just shows theres not as many haters as it seems. Also good to see Persona 4 and Valkyria Chronicles get to top 10 overall. Interesting to see VC moves up overall, but not in RPG of the year category.

Top Bottom