• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferny

Except he wasn't even using death shroud even with maxed life force and when he had passive life force gain from signet of undeath... Didn't use dagger set for life stealing or staff for marks. Used well of blood on what looks like a PUG match. No life steal and 3 total wells...

Not sure what the plan was.

Not saying it was pro gaming type PVP gameplay. Just more skill than the usual kind of run in and mash a button till you die, and respawn to do it again videos we've been getting.

gunbo13

Not saying it was pro gaming type PVP gameplay. Just more skill than the usual kind of run in and mash a button till you die, and respawn to do it again videos we've been getting.
I'm just mirroring what Jira said and saying there was much to be desired. He went in there thinking his axe was going to do the damage but didn't seem to use his open skills to assist. 3 wells break persistent DPS attacks, the signet was a waste, and he didn't even use his lich form. An axe without spectral grasp seems like crazy talk. He had a ranged build using straight weapon damage...weird.

But I'm just playing armchair so who knows.

Another dumb Mesmer who runs a Greatsword while being as close to their enemy as possible, spamming 1, not dodging, no illusions, no phantasms....and so on.

It is going to be quite easy to destroy people early on in PvP, especially if you take the time to really study builds and counters before hand like some of us are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuQkKxeseL4&feature=youtu.be

Like 90% of these Beta players seem to be married to the "1" button. Can't they at least try to look like they earned their Beta access?

Arken2121

Seems like most are not used to the new style of gaming. Hopefully, with time, all shall be learned and the degree of how they play will improve.

Sophia

Like 90% of these Beta players seem to be married to the "1" button. Can't they at least try to look like they earned their Beta access?

That'll last until they start getting destroyed in PvP, thankfully. The bad players are going to be weeded out very fast.

Ashodin

Another dumb Mesmer who runs a Greatsword while being as close to their enemy as possible, spamming 1, not dodging, no illusions, no phantasms....and so on.

It is going to be quite easy to destroy people early on in PvP, especially if you take the time to really study builds and counters before hand like some of us are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuQkKxeseL4&feature=youtu.be
the fuck? greatsword on a mesmer is a ranged weapon.... I'd use that and a staff I think for maximum fun.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Time to start playing Dark/Demon's Souls for dodging practice!
Here's another thing that saddens me. I never see anyone taking the doge mechanic to heart. Honestly I always see the doge bar at full even in pvp. I don't get how some people are allowed to review games. I know I am not the greatest gammer ever but at least I use every possible tool the devloper gives me.

Arken2121

Here's another thing that saddens me. I never see anyone taking the doge mechanic to heart. Honestly I always see the doge bar at full even in pvp. I don't get how some people are allowed to review games. I know I am not the greatest gammer ever but at least I use every possible tool the devloper gives me.

You're right, and it's only going to get worse. People should be using dodge the second they see some big hits coming which starts at level 1. Once you get into the groove it'll be like second nature and you'll play a lot better because of it.

Check out this awesomeness, skip to 38:20 to skip any story spoilers. Listen to what he says and then watch what actually happens to him and his group:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plsd0eK36lY

Wow. The guy starts talking about a "tank and spank" fight and then can't even last 5 seconds....I do agree with him on the fact that its dumb you can just run back in after you die though. You should not be able to just wear a boss down by constantly doing that.

Edit: I notice his dodge bar stayed full the entire video.

Jira

Wow, his hp dropped within seconds. Tank and spank my ass! More like maneuver and not get splashed by the falling fire balls of death.

Wow. The guy starts talking about a "tank and spank" fight and then can't even last 5 seconds....I do agree with him on the fact that its dumb you can just run back in after you die though. You should not be able to just wear a boss down by constantly doing that.

Edit: I notice his dodge bar stayed full the entire video.

I don't think the waypoint should be that close, however the new durability system and the death penalty system discourages any chain zerging as you see there. A couple deaths and your gear is broken, every time you die within a minute of each other and your downed state health will drop all the way to 40%. I think it's a massive discouragement for chain zerging and actually doubles as a way so that if people start dying they might actually wait for everyone to wipe and then try again. That's my guess anyways.

Yeah, "tank and spank" my ass. He nearly got one shot right off the bat, died constantly, never dodged, used auto attack, never swapped attunements, spammed his utlities even though he has no idea what they do, etc. But, in the end according to him the dungeon needs balancing and it's "HAAAAAAAARD". Imagine, the very first dungeon in story mode destroyed that group, they'd probably wipe to the first trash pack in explorable mode. GG

Orayn

Check out this awesomeness, skip to 38:20 to skip any story spoilers. Listen to what he says and then watch what actually happens to him and his group:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plsd0eK36lY

And on top of all that, the guy was a fucking clicker.

tocky.gif

But yeah, that respawn point is a little too close.

Omnicent

I'm liking the way this game is looking. It's combat is like Vindictive, but
looks better.
If I have learned anything from playing Vindictus (spear lann) is
to dodge for your life (spears dodge is all about spacing since
it has 0 invul frames on it and later bosses have massive hitboxes).

I look forward to going out, rolling around and taking names with my fellow GAF
members.

Arken2121

I don't think the waypoint should be that close, however the new durability system and the death penalty system discourages any chain zerging as you see there. A couple deaths and your gear is broken, every time you die within a minute of each other and your downed state health will drop all the way to 40%. I think it's a massive discouragement for chain zerging and actually doubles as a way so that if people start dying they might actually wait for everyone to wipe and then try again. That's my guess anyways.

Yeah, "tank and spank" my ass. He nearly got one shot right off the bat, died constantly, never dodged, used auto attack, never swapped attunements, spammed his utlities even though he has no idea what they do, etc. But, in the end according to him the dungeon needs balancing and it's "HAAAAAAAARD". Imagine, the very first dungeon in story mode destroyed that group, they'd probably wipe to the first trash pack in explorable mode. GG

I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to new game play mechanics but at least TRY to dodge. Your finger should be hovering over the dodge button almost 100% of the time in combat. I do hope that Anet doesn't dumb down the difficulty of these dungeons because some people refuse to learn and overcome.

Jira

I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to new game play mechanics but at least TRY to dodge. Your finger should be hovering over the dodge button almost 100% of the time in combat. I do hope that Anet doesn't dumb down the difficulty of these dungeons because some people refuse to learn and overcome.

I don't think they will, they've said 5 mans are THE challenging content in the game. If they intended to make them easy they probably already would have done so. They just need to not listen to nearly all of the press in regards to dungeon balance because they can't exactly get a correct sample size when the people playing are doing it wrong. It's obvious that the dungeons can be completed in their current incarnations otherwise they wouldn't be in the state they're in, right?

Arken2121

I don't think they will, they've said 5 mans are THE challenging content in the game. If they intended to make them easy they probably already would have done so. They just need to not listen to nearly all of the press in regards to dungeon balance because they can't exactly get a correct sample size when the people playing are doing it wrong. It's obvious that the dungeons can be completed in their current incarnations otherwise they wouldn't be in the state they're in, right?

You're right it's just sometimes this leads to content being dumbed down. We're creatures of habit but that doesn't excuse his lack of enthusiasm to try and stay alive. These dungeons will be difficult as you say and hopefully they stay that way.

Valnen

You're right it's just sometimes this leads to content being dumbed down. We're creatures of habit but that doesn't excuse his lack of enthusiasm to try and stay alive. These dungeons will be difficult as you say and hopefully they stay that way.

This is also actually the one positive aspect of this game having no sub fee. The playerbase can't strong arm the developers into making bad changes for the game by cancelling their accounts and demanding said changes like they do in certain other MMO's...

Jira

This is also actually the one positive aspect of this game having no sub fee. The playerbase can't strong arm the developers into making bad changes for the game by cancelling their accounts and demanding said changes like they do in certain other MMO's...

Indeed.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I've actually heard the dungons might be made harder. The dungons as they are now are easy. But they don't have any fucking team work. That's why you roll in PARTIES.

You know. I am not a bad person, i am really not , but when some plays a game THAT badly and complains it's to hard, then they need to be questioned not only as a reviewer but also as a gammer. I feel as if I can do what they can do, but much better.

Arken2121

I agree but wouldn't Anet still be losing potential cash on customers who refuse to play through item shop sales and expansion packs?

Jira

I agree but wouldn't Anet still be losing potential cash on customers who refuse to play through item shop sales and expansion packs?

They didn't nerf stuff in GW1, stuff like DoA and Underworld still provide a challenge years after release.

Arken2121

They didn't nerf stuff in GW1, stuff like DoA and Underworld still provide a challenge years after release.

Agreed, I guess i'm just slightly paranoid that those who whine might get their way but from Anet's track record, it wont be the case.

Coxswain

With a few notable exceptions, things in GW1 PvE weren't really made easier after they launched, but if that dungeon is meant to be the equivalent of a GW1 mission that is meant to be part of a 'normal playthrough' (not that that term is as applicable to GW2 as it was in the first game), it's entirely possible that it'll be toned down somewhat between now and release. Probably not to the point where that guy doesn't have some trouble with it, but still what you would probably call "easy", like (almost all of) GW1's missions. Explorable mode probably wouldn't be given kid gloves, though.

Jira

With a few notable exceptions, things in GW1 PvE weren't really made easier after they launched, but if that dungeon is meant to be the equivalent of a GW1 mission that is meant to be part of a 'normal playthrough' (not that that term is as applicable to GW2 as it was in the first game), it's entirely possible that it'll be toned down somewhat between now and release. Probably not to the point where that guy doesn't have some trouble with it, but still what you would probably call "easy", like (almost all of) GW1's missions. Explorable mode probably wouldn't be given kid gloves, though.

I wonder if GW2 will have the story dungeon equivalent of Thunderhead Keep? Although, I actually had a harder time doing the ascension stuff than THK.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Untill I actually play the dungon for my self, I can't fully disagree with you. But I highly doubt that they would make it easier. From what I've seen it looks easy enough and that is taking into account for bad (not as bad as this guy) players. I doubt people will have many problems.

Arken2121

Untill I actually play the dungon for my self, I can't fully disagree with you. But I highly doubt that they would make it easier. From what I've seen it looks easy enough and that is taking into account for bad (not as bad as this guy) players. I doubt people will have many problems.

And i'm hoping that those that do will try to figure it out rather than ragequit.

Coxswain

I wonder if GW2 will have the story dungeon equivalent of Thunderhead Keep?

God, I hope so. It wasn't really that hard or anything, but so many people just couldn't do it. It was priceless.
Although speaking of the Mursaat parts of GW1, armour infusion in general is something you can point to as an area where they reduced the difficulty post-launch. The game was fully doable with one piece of armour infused, but it was still way too hard for the general playerbase. The way it ended up was probably better designed overall, but I still kind of miss being able to infuse all five piece of your armour and then taking like 4 damage from Spectral Agony while it slaughtered and confused everybody else in your party.

I'm more curious about whether or not GW2 is going to ship with anything equivalent to the original implementation of Signets of Capture (Obviously not directly equivalent, but something of that nature). Getting Elite skills in those days was like pulling teeth from the back of a shark's mouth (especially stances and instant-activation skills).

Jira

http://imgur.com/a/UPuwb

That is in order GW2 maxed out/GW1 maxed out/GW2 lowest settings/GW1 lowest settings. Take note that GW1 on the lowest settings looks better than GW2 on the lowest settings. This means that they've been able to scale the game RIDICULOUSLY well, far beyond anything I'd imagined. This really goes in line with how ANet says they do test the game on GPUs so old they have to get them from Ebay. This is merely my assumption, but if GW2 on the lowest settings looks worse than GW1 on the lowest settings, you can bet that the lowest min specs are around that of GW1's min specs.

Grayman

THK was quite a gate in the first campaign.

http://imgur.com/a/UPuwb

That is in order GW2 maxed out/GW1 maxed out/GW2 lowest settings/GW1 lowest settings. Take note that GW1 on the lowest settings looks better than GW2 on the lowest settings. This means that they've been able to scale the game RIDICULOUSLY well, far beyond anything I'd imagined. This really goes in line with how ANet says they do test the game on GPUs so old they have to get them from Ebay. This is merely my assumption, but if GW2 on the lowest settings looks worse than GW1 on the lowest settings, you can bet that the lowest min specs are around that of GW1's min specs.
Guild Wars 2 has a much larger world size, potential player count, and armor designs. While it should scale low I doubt the min specs will match GW1 because of the above requiring more ram and processor power.

Jira

THK was quite a gate in the first campaign.

Guild Wars 2 has a much larger world size, potential player count, and armor designs. While it should scale low I doubt the min specs will match GW1 because of the above requiring more ram and processor power.

Yeah, that is true.

J-Rzez

This is why it's so hard to take the "press/critics" word on things like gameplay, because the majority of them are absolutely awful. They're not even on the average player's level most of the time. That MikeB or whatever is one of the only respectable press players I've seen thus far. I can understand them being bad in FPS games, but they're worse than the average spamming clicker.

Jira

Nice! So I think we're looking at 4 conquest maps at a minimum for launch, at least based on this screen:

So I'm going to wager a guess and say Capricorn is the underwater map and Memories is the map with the dragon secondary mechanic.

Jira

This is why it's so hard to take the "press/critics" word on things like gameplay, because the majority of them are absolutely awful. They're not even on the average player's level most of the time. That MikeB or whatever is one of the only respectable press players I've seen thus far. I can understand them being bad in FPS games, but they're worse than the average spamming clicker.

If you haven't seen this guy play, watch the 3rd video. Dude is a beast. I agree with you though, Mike is one of the top 5 best press in the beta.

http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite/34488/guild-wars-2-exploration-evenements-dynamiques

Jira

Oh that warrior, yeah, they're pretty good too. It's sad that you have to look forward to videos by 3-4 people out of the hundreds of press players though. lol.

I know right? I just watched yet another Mesmer with a Greatsword stay at close range, no dodge, no phantasms, no illusions...oh hell you know the drill already. I'm watching the same guy play a Ranger, I'll put it in here if he does halfway decent, but I doubt it.

J-Rzez

I know right? I just watched yet another Mesmer with a Greatsword stay at close range, no dodge, no phantasms, no illusions...oh hell you know the drill already. I'm watching the same guy play a Ranger, I'll put it in here if he does halfway decent, but I doubt it.

While you're at it, look for some good Thief gameplay, as I haven't found ANY yet lol. :(

Proven

While you're at it, look for some good Thief gameplay, as I haven't found ANY yet lol. :(
The best PvP Thief gameplay I've seen are of opponents in other videos ganking the person recording. There's a Warrior and Mesmer one from CurseNetwork especially.

As for the "tank and spank" guy, I've decided to just give him a break. At the start of the video he talks about having been up all night. He then goes on to how he understands how Guild Wars 2 theoretically works with sharing the roll tanking, but no one he was on with that night, much less himself, had any real ability to follow through with that. And despite the dagger usage at the beginning, he probably chose Elementalist primarily because he looked at it as a ranged class. He had barely wrapped his head around his skills and how they change per weapon, much less pressing a dodge key or the fact that attunements were something you switched often in battle, rather than pick one and stick with it 24/7. Yeah, he's bad. At least he understood on some level that the systems were there; he was just unable to use them.

Jira

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6118/Guild-Wars-2-A-New-Breed-of-MMORPG.html

This article was rushed, I fixed some of his typos for him though.

The first paragraph here is exactly what I've been saying. GW2 is a new sub-genre, one I like to call a Sandpark. It has the hand crafted and scripted elements of a Theme Park MMO with the freedom and exploration of a Sandbox.

"Bill Murphy brought up a good point in his preview article which is Guild Wars 2 is a theme park MMO, but it has amazing sandbox qualities that launch it into its own form of game. Bill is right with this comment. The game combines these two styles of MMOs and gives us some kind of mutant newborn baby of awesome that breathes freaking dragon fire… excuse me, I got carried away there. I described it as a living breathing world and that is what it feels like. When you start into your opening zone an NPC says, “Go explore, meet people, help them out, and see what you run into.” That is about the only guidance you get. Once you enter areas all kinds of events kick off, stories unfold, and crazy stuff starts happening to you and others. Nothing is strictly in place and the world opens up. You unlock so much as you go and events change and shape the game."

"At one point when playing we cleared out an area of ghosts near a Charr cave. Soon, Charr came in and started building huts and houses to make the area their own. The devs said if this settlement survives long enough it will become something for players to use. Imagine that, a town growing in a place where you made the difference. Eventually the ghosts will rise up and overtake the area, but that is all part of what makes the game so awesome."

"There is no NPC standing there with an exclamation point over his head. It seems like after you play Guild Wars 2 this style of quest system will be long forgotten. This is where Guild Wars 2 really has taken innovation to the next step. All the old mechanics of questing are going on in the background but you are free to explore the world, not tied to some arbitrary quest hub guidance system."

"Here is the best way to describe it. The game innovates while paying homage to some amazing game mechanics from the past. It takes great ideas and makes them better. It takes new ideas and is not afraid to serve them up to players. It proves that there is a lot of room for innovation in MMOs and that the WoW model is soon going to be out of date. It does all of this while still having a classic old school MMO feel to it. Guild Wars 2 is a herald. It is the herald that shouts: you no longer have to play WoW clones!"

BrettWeir

You aren't kidding. Would love to see some Thief W^3 videos (even if it's a half decent player spamming 1 with an occasional 2).

Seems as if 98% of these media players macro'd 1 to every button on their keyboard/mmo mouse.

J-Rzez

The best PvP Thief gameplay I've seen are of opponents in other videos ganking the person recording. There's a Warrior and Mesmer one from CurseNetwork especially.

Well, guess it's time to start looking for that.

I mean, it's nice to see the game in action at least, we can't really expect much from media sites to actually post at least average skilled gameplay anymore it seems. I'm confident that if I 100% clicked I'd still wreck 95% of these people. I mean it's just absurd how many of them just use one ability almost exclusively, then you see them stop dead still, and keyboard turn their toon.

I think Anet should have just packed the media into the regular beta invites. This is probably the worst I've ever seen as a whole by the media play a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom