• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondarm

Banned
Well, guess it's time to start looking for that.

I mean, it's nice to see the game in action at least, we can't really expect much from media sites to actually post at least average skilled gameplay anymore it seems. I'm confident that if I 100% clicked I'd still wreck 95% of these people. I mean it's just absurd how many of them just use one ability almost exclusively, then you see them stop dead still, and keyboard turn their toon.

I think Anet should have just packed the media into the regular beta invites. This is probably the worst I've ever seen as a whole by the media play a game.
I think he was talking about this one:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pvp-gameplay-guild-wars-2/727244?

http://imgur.com/a/UPuwb

That is in order GW2 maxed out/GW1 maxed out/GW2 lowest settings/GW1 lowest settings. Take note that GW1 on the lowest settings looks better than GW2 on the lowest settings. This means that they've been able to scale the game RIDICULOUSLY well, far beyond anything I'd imagined. This really goes in line with how ANet says they do test the game on GPUs so old they have to get them from Ebay. This is merely my assumption, but if GW2 on the lowest settings looks worse than GW1 on the lowest settings, you can bet that the lowest min specs are around that of GW1's min specs.

You are comparing a screenshot from GW1 which is a direct-feed to a screenshot of a video of GW2. I think it's a bit unfair.

Also the GW1 screen is of an area out in the distance that you can't even traverse.

Nevertheless I hope it scales really well because my dual-core laptop with geforce 8600m needs to be able to play it. Can't upgrade just yet...

Retro

So now that ANet has clarified that you can only play WvW on your account's "Home Server", that means in order to WvW as a guild everyone is gonna have to be on the same server.

So I guess we really need to try and figure out;

1. Which server do we want GAFGuild on? Since there are no names yet, we really can't do much. If we get close to launch and have no server names yet, we'll just have to decide "First server named with "N" or something. I would like to find out which server other communities are going to fall on before we make a choice. Anyone who ever tried to play on Kel'Thuzad in WoW knows what I'm talking about.

2. What name do we want for GAFGuild? So far it's been kind of a mixed bag. I personally would like to see it reference the letters "GAF" or "Gaming Age". Perhaps "Gilded Age" or "Guilded Age"?

3. Where you, as a player, want to be. People may have higher priorities than GAFGuild; a guild from a previous game reforming, a group of friends, etc. You can multi-guild, but not being on the same server as GAFGuild is going to prevent you from WvW'ing with us.

It doesn't appear to stop you from doing dungeons, comp PVP or PVE, but the place where guilds are going to 'represent' is going to be WvW. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with people being all over the place but with the majority of players trying to land on one server.

Thoughts?

gunbo13

ipzEFBS8j1P0b.gif

Such a boring class.

So now that ANet has clarified that you can only play WvW on your account's "Home Server", that means in order to WvW as a guild everyone is gonna have to be on the same server.

1. Which server do we want GAFGuild on? Since there are no names yet, we really can't do much. If we get close to launch and have no server names yet, we'll just have to decide "First server named with "N" or something. I would like to find out which server other communities are going to fall on before we make a choice. Anyone who ever tried to play on Kel'Thuzad in WoW knows what I'm talking about.

2. What name do we want for GAFGuild? So far it's been kind of a mixed bag. I personally would like to see it reference the letters "GAF" or "Gaming Age". Perhaps "Gilded Age" or "Guilded Age"?

3. Where you, as a player, want to be. People may have higher priorities than GAFGuild; a guild from a previous game reforming, a group of friends, etc. You can multi-guild, but not being on the same server as GAFGuild is going to prevent you from WvW'ing with us.

It doesn't appear to stop you from doing dungeons, comp PVP or PVE, but the place where guilds are going to 'represent' is going to be WvW. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with people being all over the place but with the majority of players trying to land on one server.

Thoughts?

I'm guessing the biggest difference between servers maybe timezone based and maybe RP? For a US sever, I'm on the East coast but if they have a Central Time Zone (doubt it) that'd probably be the best compromise for NA. One thing that crossed my mind is that I wonder if there are any restriction as to having 2 identically named guilds on different servers, my gut is saying yes because we're able to hop servers and join multiple guilds...if there is, we definitely need someone to be designated as the GM to make the official guild

zulfate

Thoughts?

1. well i guess we will have to wait for that, i dont care if we are not part of other communities but i can see why.

2. i think its fun to start thinking about GAF guild names especially if some of us are getting into the beta soon and we can roll around together lol, my first thought is maybe Gigantic And Fierce

3. as a player i might start my own mini guild with close friends unless they can be invited to the gaf guild?

gametrailers preview is up...and no mention of WvW!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-guild-wars-2/727312

Ferny

I'm guessing the biggest difference between servers maybe timezone based and maybe RP? For a US sever, I'm on the East coast but if they have a Central Time Zone (doubt it) that'd probably be the best compromise for NA. One thing that crossed my mind is that I wonder if there are any restriction as to having 2 identically named guilds on different servers, my gut is saying yes because we're able to hop servers and join multiple guilds...if there is, we definitely need someone to be designated as the GM to make the official guild

I'm sure ANet will be releasing a server list close to release so we can decide on the server at that time considering all the factors (timezone, name preference, etc). The name thing should be interesting but I think it'll be something like "GAF Guild - Home server name" and then if another guild has the same name it'll just change the home server name for them. Once the info is released and all that, i'll make the guild on the server we pick though.

birdchili

gaming age front

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_organization
A front organization is any entity set up by and controlled by another organization, such as intelligence agencies, organized crime groups, banned organizations, religious or political groups, advocacy groups, or corporations. Front organizations can act for the parent group without the actions being attributed to the parent group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_(Russian_Empire)
A front (Russian: фронт, front) was a major military formation. Appearing to originate with the Russian Empire, it has been used by the Polish Army, the Red Army and Soviet Army, and by Turkey.

It was roughly equivalent to an army group in the militaries of most other countries.

Ferny

gaming age front

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_organization
A front organization is any entity set up by and controlled by another organization, such as intelligence agencies, organized crime groups, banned organizations, religious or political groups, advocacy groups, or corporations. Front organizations can act for the parent group without the actions being attributed to the parent group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_(Russian_Empire)
A front (Russian: фронт, front) was a major military formation. Appearing to originate with the Russian Empire, it has been used by the Polish Army, the Red Army and Soviet Army, and by Turkey.

It was roughly equivalent to an army group in the militaries of most other countries.

Not a bad one. We should take a bunch and then cut the list down to about three and just vote on the best one and use that one. Most likely the best way to decide on a name.

Ashodin

Guild Age Force
Guild Age Front
Gilded Assault Force
Gifted Autistic Fans
Grandiose Autonomous Front
Galaxy Astro Fighters
Ghostly Angelic Fires

IDK.

J-Rzez

I have a sinking feeling there is going to be a ton of Mesmers running around from all the talk and various forum chatter lol.

Arken2121

Sandpark sounds about right. As more information starts to surface around how the game works, I think we'll also start to see an influx of people in both shock and awe. Let the slaying of dragons.....begin soon.

Arken2121

Not to sound like a pompous ass but it saddens me to see nearly all the videos of players barely using anything besides the 1 key and their dodge meter never moving. Besides the thief video, are there any other videos showing some decent gameplay?

Retro

Yeah, I think we have at least a month, if not two, before things get really serious and we have to settle on a name. I like the sound of some of the suggestions though.

I think because these are the "Gaming Age Forums", we also could easily drop the need for an F and just go with something "G___ A___", with the tag being "GAF". We could also attach the "Neo" to it, for example "New Golden Age".

Lots of options, very little info, plenty of time to think things through, so no rush.

Blackface

Banned
Not to sound like a pompous ass but it saddens me to see nearly all the videos of players barely using anything besides the 1 key and their dodge meter never moving. Besides the thief video, are there any other videos showing some decent gameplay?

MikeB's videos from Gamebreaker.tv and Zam are great. Thats about it.

tbh it seems they need to make the game considerably harder or people will continue to do this shit when the game launches, then everyone will call it shit

Either that or include some considerable rewards for playing the game properly.

Blackface

Banned
tbh it seems they need to make the game considerably harder or people will continue to do this shit when the game launches, then everyone will call it shit

Either that or include some considerable rewards for playing the game properly.

A huge part of the game is competitive e-sports style PVP. The games "PVE" may not be super difficult. However the PVP is extremely hard to master and requires tons of strategy. Within a few days people who know how to play, will be utterly embarrassing the type of players you see in the press videos.

Mulligan

Banned
Guild Age Force
Guild Age Front
Gilded Assault Force
Gifted Autistic Fans
Grandiose Autonomous Front
Galaxy Astro Fighters
Ghostly Angelic Fires

IDK.

Games Are Fun
Gathering All Females
Gaining Access Forever
Growing Abnormaly Ferocious
Guilds And Fellowships
Gifted Abilities Forseen
Genders Are Foribidden
Grab A Fury
Gentlemen And Fascists
Giving Away Freebies

My half assed attempts.

Ferny

I guess dodging is something so new to a lot the press that they forget they could dodge. So they instead get into a WoW type fight and just stand in one place and trade attacks.

Total Biscuit said he even forgot about the dodging aspect of it. Its a new thing in a mostly WoW centric mmo world.

Another suggestion: I Don't Give a GAF

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, that was really good thief gameplay. I've seen all I need now to know I'm going Thief Sylvari(sp?)

Yeah, every time I see that video, I want to create a thief as well, and I probably will.

He's just dancing around the mobs, evading, dodging, backstabbing. Really shows how player skill will be the deciding factor in most battles and encounters.

Also, he has other video's on his channel, the guardian and warrior footage is also pretty good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's sadly offscreen footage from PAX Prime 2011, but it's still the best footage of PvE thief I have seen so far. This dude knows how to play.

Youtube link
Great stuff and I have no doubt thief will be my main. But he didn't shoot any dual dagger or dual pistol stuff, which is I think what I'll be rolling with.

Although that bow teleport skill is fucking raw.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Great stuff and I have no doubt thief will be my main. But he didn't shoot any dual dagger or dual pistol stuff, which is I think what I'll be rolling with.

Although that bow teleport skill is fucking raw.
dual daggers and pistols will be my main two weps. gonna be dope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom