• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

you guys. its just gaffers, in a guild. how bad can we be.

I dunno, how many "Pictures that make you laugh" threads have been shut down for racist / sexist / nudity / trolling-related behavior, and not just because they reached 20k posts? 3 or 4 since I've been a member, at least.

I dunno, how many "Pictures that make you laugh" threads have been shut down for racist / sexist / nudity / trolling-related behavior, and not just because they reached 20k posts? 3 or 4 since I've been a member, at least.

Hell 3 or 4 just in the past couple weeks I think.

Retro

Hell 3 or 4 just in the past couple weeks I think.

Yeah. Overall, GAF tends to be pretty well-behaved thanks to awesome moderators and strict but fair rules. The long wait for membership and the ease at which bans are handed out generally keeps people from being too stupid, but every so often you get somebody who thinks it's funny to be 'that guy'.

We'll just have to make sure that GAFGuild officers keep an eye on things the way the mods here at GAF do. The rules here are more than fair and I don't think anyone is going to have to actively watch what they say or worry that they have to change their behavior. The actual GAF TOS says to keep profanity to a minimum but in reality quite a bit of it gets tossed around. It's only when it's directed at people that it becomes a problem.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
oh they're not bad people. its just one or two people who ruin it for everyone.

Retro

Right, that's what I'm getting at in my post above: GAFers are by and large awesome people, and rarely do I see threads devolve into the kind of crap that internet forums are famous for. But every so often, you get somebody who thinks it's funny to crap on everyone's parade. They're the ones who post the stuff that closes threads, and they're the ones we'll just have to hope don't congregate into GAFGuild. If they do, it's something the officers will have to put a stop to before they make the guild an unpleasant place.

Everyone should go into the guild knowing that if it's not ok on GAF, it's not okay in GAFGuild. That's more than fair in terms of policing behavior.

I completely agree. My comments weren't really saying we will have to keep strict rules or anything, I really think we will have no problems at all. I was just stating what few problems could arise. Really I see there being no issue at all.

Ferny

Also a bonus tip, after any dynamic event (or event chain) it's always a good idea to follow the key NPC's or investigate the area after the event has been completed. If you don't run off, you'll often times find they build new buildings, setup stores, build defenses, kick off new events (after some dialogue), repair broken things, build siege weapons, change the weather, have new spawns appear/change, and more as a result of dynamic events concluding.

This sounds so awesome man.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It should go without saying that you shouldn't invite your 13 year old sister to play in GAFGuild, though. Unless she's like a really grown up 13... like a relative-with-boundary-issues 13 or a or a grew-up-drinking-a-lot-of-dairy 13. Or if she's hot. Then, yeah, go ahead and invite her...
and tell her we all play on webcam...

naked.

This guy.

*golf clap*

Jira

This makes me happy. I like hearing that they are holding off on most of the Meta Events for higher levels. Makes for more to look forward to. I would even like if it at max level they had some crazy long and huge meta events, other than the world bosses, that would bring out some high level exclusive venders or loot.

Well, Orr is referred to by ANet as "a constant warzone" so expect that kind of stuff there for sure. Orr consists of 70-75, 75-80, and a level 80 zone. Your personal story will progress to this point where you face off with Zhaitan (an Elder Dragon).

Possible spoilers:

The airships you see in trailers...that is surely how you'll fight Zhaitan considering his size. If I'm wrong I'd be surprised.

nataku

Diablo 3 has been in beta since Sep-Oct so 5 months although long, isn't unheard of

Yeah, but ANet has stated that they'll be doing the beta closer to release and that how well things go in beta will determine when the game gets released.

Based on everything I've read so far things sound like they're going great. I get the impression they didn't expect the press beta to go so well. That gamebreaker TV interview a couple days ago said the reason they opened up sign ups to the pulbic so soon was because the press beta went so well.

I'm expecting the game to be out by June. Hoping for early April though (birthday on the 5th).

Jira

Yeah, but ANet has stated that they'll be doing the beta closer to release and that how well things go in beta will determine when the game gets released.

Based on everything I've read so far things sound like they're going great. I get the impression they didn't expect the press beta to go so well. That gamebreaker TV interview a couple days ago said the reason they opened up sign ups to the pulbic so soon was because the press beta went so well.

I'm expecting the game to be out by June. Hoping for early April though (birthday on the 5th).

Yeah, they've been saying for a long time that each beta will determine the subsequent beta and then finally release. Things seem to be going quite well because they didn't have the beta sign ups planned for those days, but put them up due to the response from the press beta. ANet also doesn't handle betas like other companies, when other companies are letting the public in for a lot of design feedback,ANet does that for years in alpha. When you get your hands on their betas, it's more like a console beta in the sense that it's extremely polished and more of a stress test than anything.

Ferny

Does anyone else wake up and think 'Man maybe ANet will surprise us and release the beta today?' or is that just me?

Dreavus

Has there been much coverage on the armor customization system? I'm hoping I can still be the vain and ostentatious Mesmer I've always been.

Jira

Has there been much coverage on the armor customization system? I'm hoping I can still be the vain and ostentatious Mesmer I've always been.

Yep, which form are you talking about? Stats or aesthetics? I'll just layout both for you lol, gimme a sec.

Aesthetics:

There's 400 dyes in the game, all individually and uniquely named. Smaller armor like gloves have 1 dye channel, larger armor like chest pieces have 3 and sometimes even 4 dye channels. Armor is broken up into 3 weight classes (light/medium/heavy). There's no profession specific armor, you'll never see something only a Guardian can wear, but not a Warrior. So you can take any say heavy chest piece in the game, use a Transmutation stone and transfer the stats onto another chest piece so you can look exactly how you want.

Stats:

Every piece of gear in the game has 1 mod slot, even grey items.

Here's how the mod system works:

Armor - Runes
Weapons - Sigils
Accessories - Jewels

Runes allow you to create custom set bonuses, so depending on how many of X rune you have in your gear will dictate your set bonus, for example:

Superior Rune of the Afflicted

1. +28 condition damage
2. +15% bleed duration
3. +55 condition damage
4. +15% poison duration
5. +100 condition damage
6. You create a death nova when you go down. (cooldown: 30 sec.)

or

1. +25 power
2. 5% to cause your next attack to steal life when hit. (cooldown: 15s)
3. +50 power
4. your next attack after using your heal skill steals life. (Not in)
5. +90 power
6. You become mist when your below 10% health. (cooldown: 60s)

and so on.

Sigils are mods for your weapons which also have 1 slot each, here's an example:

you are healed each time you kill a foe

or

30% chance to cause a lightning strike on critical hit (cannot happen more than every 5 sec)

or

your next attack after swapping to this weapon combat steals some life

or

+5% damage

Jewels are more like flat stat increases:

+25 Toughness
+15 Healing
+15 Vitality

Combine the rune system, sigil system, and jewel system with the combat system, the many weapons you can choose from, healing/utility/elite skills, traits and cross profession combos and you're looking at depth that not enough people seem to realize even exists.

Ashodin

31 min of Lewis B over at Tap Repeatedly doing some Mesmer PvP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uiUCbN0aaZM

Wow only a few min in and HE'S NOT RETARDED but god why 480p!

The first few minutes: HOLY FUCK AWESOME

He TOTALLY fucked that guy over - clones going everywhere, he invis'ed like four times and blinded the guy, some straight up rogue shit going on there - and kept him guessing like a total punk. SO AWESOME

Jira

The first few minutes: HOLY FUCK AWESOME

He TOTALLY fucked that guy over - clones going everywhere, he invis'ed like four times and blinded the guy, some straight up rogue shit going on there - and kept him guessing like a total punk. SO AWESOME

He could have used his shatters and such a bit more, but this is pretty much the best PvP to come out of the beta.

So much better than part 1. That looked really really good.

Agreed 100%, it actually looked fun once he wasn't trying to break down a door with a sword.

Varna

Damn. Are there seriously people for GAF-Only guild? GAF Empire's policy works just fine. RL friends or nice people you meet in-game are A-OK.

Ferny

Damn. Are there seriously people for GAF-Only guild? GAF Empire's policy works just fine. RL friends or nice people you meet in-game are A-OK.

I think those people are just worried that if 'outsiders' join then it may cause drama and all that. I don't really see the difference between a non gaffer vs a gaffer in this case. Drama can happen no matter who the person is.

Ok guys, I only played a bit of Guild Wars and I havent been really following info on Guild Wars 2.

I do like the videos I have seen, dynamic events, no more need for tank and healer roles, etc. However, Im a big PvE player. I really dont care for PvP.

Will Guild Wars 2 keep me busy after I reach the max level?

Or after that the focus becomes PvP?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I kind of expected that answer.

I'll still be on the search for some good music that complements the game. I like Soule, but I like variety more.
i nearly ever listen to ingame music. and i am not prob not gonna start now. ill prob listen to what ever is in my library.

Grakl

Ok guys, I only played a bit of Guild Wars and I havent been really following info on Guild Wars 2.

I do like the videos I have seen, dynamic events, no more need for tank and healer roles, etc. However, Im a big PvE player. I really dont care for PvP.

I believe the Guild Wars franchise is, from the beginning, about PvE. You'll have plenty to do after max level.

Complistic

They haven't talked much about end game stuff yet. Even if there isn't a ton, their business model is constantly pushing out expansions that you buy, so I'm sure those would keep you busy.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Well, there are going to be plenty of events that only high-level players will be able to complete. I think another thing people don't consider that needs to be recognized is replayability in PvE. Each race has a distinctly different story. I know for sure I'm going to play through the story at least five times. The five races, three orders that can be joined, and smaller decisions along the way can make for a wide set of varied PvE playthroughs. Plus, each profession plays differently, so each replay of the story will feel different. It's not just about making one character, leveling to the top, and doing some repetitive cycle of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom