• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I think not releasing it during the summer would be a huge mistake.

Absolutely. Being the hot new MMO just as kids are getting out of school, college classes are wrapping up, etc. would push the already amazing numbers up. I mean, the beta signups hit 1 million registrations in 2 days with no notice whatsoever. SW:TOR took 3 years to hit 2 million, so I have a feeling if they drop before the summer there's gonna be a ton of players.

This is an idle question more than anything, but when people talk about the beta event taking place over a weekend, are we assuming that based on what they've done in the past, or have they ever specifically said that it will be over a weekend?

I seem to recall reading a blog post from ArenaNet where they mentioned how they were going to do the beta testing; weekends only, and testing very specific things each week. But there's such a glut of info, especially on the Beta, that I can't find it.

That's how Rift did their Beta testing though; they'd specifically have people test specific areas or level ranges, etc.

This is fairly realistic. Would agree to this since it's right after my birthday. lol

Spring is looking to be mighty awesome. Not only GW2 Betas and a possible launch, but Game of Thrones season 2 will be on to inspire fantasy shenanigans too.

Bah, wanted to get back onto this but I forgot my password (haven't touched it for a few months) and their 'reset password' function seems to be down right now.

Since you can reserve names for GW2 through GW1, I imagine there's a large influx of people trying to remember their GW1 account info. Give it a bit.

assuming the game is mad fun, the wait between the beta and release could be much, much worse:)

That's my concern too; getting into the Beta and then spending the next month or two waking up from having dreams about playing it only to face the disappointment of reality. I remember when I first got heavily into WoW I would play it in my sleep quite a bit.

Proven

The only thing is, dropping in summer currently risks diablo 3 or dota 2 finishing up their betas for then instead of the holidays.

Jira

http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/02/27/gw2-press-beta-the-richest-pve-experience-part-2/

"In Diessa Plateau, there is the Flame Legion Battles meta-event, which are a chain of capture objectives between the allied charr and enemy Flame Legion. If players can push the Flame Legion all the way back, the Flame Legion actually open up a mini-dungeon called the Font of Rhand. Players can all enter this puzzle and trap-filled dungeon en masse. The open-world dungeon is closed unless the meta-event is beaten. I died a stupid death in the Font of Rhand, alone and stupid, and when I finally warped back near the dungeon entrance the Flame Legion had closed off the dungeon portal as they had reclaimed a part of the meta-event.""

THAT IS AWESOME!

Coolwhip

Banned
Dang, in just one week I went from not giving a fuck about GW2 to being stoked for it. The only thing I am still in the dark about is what the endgame will be like.

Jira

Dang, in just one week I went from not giving a fuck about GW2 to being stoked for it. The only thing I am still in the dark about is what the endgame will be like.

The same thing leveling up is, there's no bait & switch change in the gameplay or what you do from day to day. You don't have to get to an arbitrary number to start having fun, they've said they built a game where you have fun right away and it doesn't stop granted as long as you like the game itself. Endgame as it exists in other games doesn't exist in GW2.

Ashodin

Nah, that's not how it works. They get you all pooched up, then they back off and tease you a bit. It all builds up to a more satisfying experience in the end. Would you rather they just shove a limp and unprepared game at you early, or pound your brains out with a huge veiny masterpiece that leaves you forever changed and keeps you in your seat for several days?
Ln33O.gif

Wow man. I think I just filled the cup. I need a cigarette too. LOL

mah woman says "you sir know what women want!"

Retro

The only thing is, dropping in summer currently risks diablo 3 or dota 2 finishing up their betas for then instead of the holidays.

Given Blizzard's track record, especially when it comes to Diablo, D3 will probably still be in Beta summer next year. Dota 2 doesn't strike me as something that can pull down the kind of numbers GW2 will, but then, I don't pretend to understand anything involving Dota.

THAT IS AWESOME!

Was just about to post that article, I love KillTenRats. Definitely more awesome tidbits than just that in there, but that one made me giddiest. The idea of a whole mini-dungeon with traps and puzzles (not just a copypasta cave) just sitting there waiting for the right things to trigger it? That kinda thing could be anywhere.

Guild Wars 2 is going to save me so much money.

Yep. My logic going into an MMO was always "Well, $15 is cheaper than buying a whole new game every month", but with GW2 you don't even have to pay that. And it's launching with so much content (not to mention the endless possibilities of WvW) that I can easily see myself not buying anything until September (Borderlands 2), and even that's a stretch. It may very well be Halo 4.

Jira

Players that ignored things like dodging, weapon switching, and even simple combat movement will quickly learn all these things if they want to retain any sort of efficiency.

I have a feeling many players, such as I, are going to wonder where this exciting active-combat system is going to come in to play. It comes in to play in the level 15-25 zone.

The sidekicking system was also really well done. As a level 30+, I journeyed into the Diessa Plateau (charr zone, level 15-25) with my human to experience some of that content on a developer’s tip. Even with my elite skills and better traits, there were definitely some challenging content as I was down-sidekicked automatically to the appropriate sub-zone’s content level. It is quickly apparent that there won’t be situations where I can just close my eyes and AoE until everything I over-aggro dies simply because I am 10 levels above. Missed or overleveled content will actually have to be played.

Anyway, I enjoyed the personal story part of things. It was a nice guidemap to the PvE zones as the personal story does its best to correspond to play area and character level in the PvE zones. The instances were challenging and complete. The stories were pretty good too. But, I still feel like the decision-making part was what kept me coming back. The branches diverged at a wide angle so it didn’t feel like the end outlet would be about the same regardless of my decision.

My biggest regret was that I went so fast. I tore through content to be able to write content here. I enjoyed everything, but I didn’t give it a chance to sink in, which might be a good thing because right now I am absolutely fiending for more. I feel I came across the most complete, richest PvE experience in an MMO, and everything else seems to pale in its shadow. ArenaNet has raised the bar for MMO PvE, which is a great thing for our genre.

http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/02/27/gw2-press-beta-the-richest-pve-experience-part-2/

Ashodin

Yep. My logic going into an MMO was always "Well, $15 is cheaper than buying a whole new game every month", but with GW2 you don't even have to pay that. And it's launching with so much content (not to mention the endless possibilities of WvW) that I can easily see myself not buying anything until September (Borderlands 2), and even that's a stretch. It may very well be Halo 4.

I'm not buying anything until Wii U. SCORE!

ShaneB

Spring is looking to be mighty awesome. Not only GW2 Betas and a possible launch, but Game of Thrones season 2 will be on to inspire fantasy shenanigans too.

Reminded me that I really need to watch GoT season 1 sometime soon. I'll marathon it before season 2 I think.

Also with the idea of MMOs saving me money, I'll agree to that. It's the idea of getting sucked into the world and really enjoying playing. The thing about GW2 is the feeling that they're designing it so that it's not a constant race to the top, or having to feel like playing it turns into a job. It's very much tailored to every playstyle.

Retro

I'm not buying anything until Wii U. SCORE!

When the heck is that gonna be? I had to look for stuff coming out later this year just to see if there was gonna be anything I'd miss. I can pick up Borderlands 2 later and have a blast with it, and in general I can beat a Halo game over a weekend... Starbound is supposed to be out this summer, but I don't even think that's gonna get me away from GW2.

That's another nice thing about MMOs, I guess; you build up a nice backlog for the down time. Too bad GW2 doesn't look like it's going to offer much along those lines.

Reminded me that I really need to watch GoT season 1 sometime soon. I'll marathon it before season 2 I think.

Damn, man... best get on with it, it's a great series that actually manages to follow the books closely enough that I have few complaints. If you don't start now, you'll be out of time. Winter Guild Wars 2 is coming.

Also with the idea of MMOs saving me money, I'll agree to that. It's the idea of getting sucked into the world and really enjoying playing. The thing about GW2 is the feeling that they're designing it so that it's not a constant race to the top, or having to feel like playing it turns into a job. It's very much tailored to every playstyle.

I can see myself rolling one of each profession quite easily, especially since so much content is account-wide; I won't feel like I'm wasting time doing stuff on one character when I could be doing all of it on a 'main'. I can see myself (fancy dress-up and role player that I am) hanging out in old zones that I like to help out with the quests and craft stuff for people (I used to hang out in Goldshire on my max lavel character and make stuff for people just to be nice). And that's not even counting all the time I'm sure I'll spend in WvW.

"Game of Forever" isn't just a joke here.

Ashodin

When the heck is that gonna be? I had to look for stuff coming out later this year just to see if there was gonna be anything I'd miss. I can pick up Borderlands 2 later and have a blast with it, and in general I can beat a Halo game over a weekend... Starbound is supposed to be out this summer, but I don't even think that's gonna get me away from GW2.

That's another nice thing about MMOs, I guess; you build up a nice backlog for the down time. Too bad GW2 doesn't look like it's going to offer much along those lines.

Yeah no downtime woooo!

Starbound looks awesome too!

Nickiepoo

Since you can reserve names for GW2 through GW1, I imagine there's a large influx of people trying to remember their GW1 account info. Give it a bit.

Yeah, I found a Gaile Grey post on their forums about rolling out some sort of new security system and that's why everything was down so I assume that links in too.

birdchili

That's my concern too; getting into the Beta and then spending the next month or two waking up from having dreams about playing it only to face the disappointment of reality.
skipping the beta. avoiding environment/world spoilers mostly. spoiling the heck out of mechanics trying to pre-figure out what i'll have the most fun playing. i don't care about the story stuff, but so looking forward to playing sumble-upon with the dynamic events and just generally getting lost.

Retro

Yeah no downtime woooo!

Starbound looks awesome too!

I'm still bummed about Terraria being on permanent hold (I guess there's still talk that Redigit might come back to Terraria when his new kid is older), I spent so much time playing that game just digging around, building shit... I know there's at least a couple Terraria fans in this thread, I recognize their avatars.

If Starbound can capture that on a galaxy-wide level (I still don't know if you can even dig or build in the game, I know you can terraform but it's not the same thing as building a base), I'm gonna have to risk a heart attack downing energy drinks to have enough time in the day to play 'em both.

skipping the beta. avoiding environment/world spoilers mostly. spoiling the heck out of mechanics trying to pre-figure out what i'll have the most fun playing. i don't care about the story stuff, but so looking forward to playing sumble-upon with the dynamic events and just generally getting lost.

That's why my wife and I are going to play a race that we have no interest in playing at launch, so we don't spoil the story or world too much. But I definitely want to try out all of the classes so when Launch Day finally arrives, I'll only spend 3 hours customizing my character instead of 6, trying to pick which class I want.

I hope GW2 lets you save your character customization options as a template. I have a feeling I will be recreating characters multiple times to get the right profession but will want to make sure the look I spend so much time getting right is preserved.

Jira

I'm still bummed about Terraria being on permanent hold (I guess there's still talk that Redigit might come back to Terraria when his new kid is older), I spent so much time playing that game just digging around, building shit... I know there's at least a couple Terraria fans in this thread, I recognize their avatars.

If Starbound can capture that on a galaxy-wide level (I still don't know if you can even dig or build in the game, I know you can terraform but it's not the same thing as building a base), I'm gonna have to risk a heart attack downing energy drinks to have enough time in the day to play 'em both.

That's why my wife and I are going to play a race that we have no interest in playing at launch, so we don't spoil the story or world too much. But I definitely want to try out all of the classes so when Launch Day finally arrives, I'll only spend 3 hours customizing my character instead of 6, trying to pick which class I want.

I hope GW2 lets you save your character customization options as a template. I have a feeling I will be recreating characters multiple times to get the right profession but will want to make sure the look I spend so much time getting right is preserved.

You could always try to write numbers down and hope they don't change between beta and release. Like Head 1, nose angle slider spot #4 and such?

Ashodin

You could always try to write numbers down and hope they don't change between beta and release. Like Head 1, nose angle slider spot #4 and such?

This is true.

It's the same for me, so I think I'm gonna try Mesmer or Thief. Warrior is cool too...

My GF is thinking of trying Mesmer as well.

Retro

Well, I meant when it actually goes live. I'm not gonna create a character I am committed to for Beta. I have a feeling I'll be able to feel out the choices or, as you say, write them down. But it's a feature I've seen in other MMOs (Vanguard, specifically) that I'd like to see make it into GW2. I'm not holding my breath nor will it harm my experience with so much else to be happy with.

It's the same for me, so I think I'm gonna try Mesmer or Thief. Warrior is cool too...

My GF is thinking of trying Mesmer as well.

I wish I had my wife's certainty on class selection. I mentioned earlier that I probably won't play any casters, but that's still 6 professions I want to try. Seems like everyone is rolling Guardians or Elementalists, maybe I'll break the mold and be a Warrior... but who am I kidding, that'll change by the next time I post.

Jira

Well, I meant when it actually goes live. I'm not gonna create a character I am committed to for Beta. I have a feeling I'll be able to feel out the choices or, as you say, write them down. But it's a feature I've seen in other MMOs (Vanguard, specifically) that I'd like to see make it into GW2. I'm not holding my breath nor will it harm my experience with so much else to be happy with.

I wish I had my wife's certainty on class selection. I mentioned earlier that I probably won't play any casters, but that's still 6 professions I want to try. Seems like everyone is rolling Guardians or Elementalists, maybe I'll break the mold and be a Warrior... but who am I kidding, that'll change by the next time I post.

What server did you play Vanguard on?

Retro

What server did you play Vanguard on?

Flamehammer, before they started merging them. I was in a guild named MERCS. The lion's share of my time was spent cursing at my old PC (to be fair though, Vanguard was a mess) and taking part in massive guild-wide harvesting drives so we could get out Guild Hall up. From then on out I spent my time decorating it
JUWnj.gif

Seriously though, best crafting system in any MMO yet and though it was kind of a mess, Diplomacy was still a really awesome idea. Should have spent another year in development.

birdchili

in an actioney game, i'm always eying the most maneuverable class (thief here, i'd think). i *am* a bit worried that all the teleporting and zipping about will cause camera issues though, and the stealth stuff looks like it'd be far more fun in pvp than pve (i'll be mostly pve at the start i'm expecting).

i have some trusted agents i'm sending into the beta for intel gathering.

Given Blizzard's track record, especially when it comes to Diablo, D3 will probably still be in Beta summer next year. Dota 2 doesn't strike me as something that can pull down the kind of numbers GW2 will, but then, I don't pretend to understand anything involving Dota.

Dota 2 is averaging a peak concurrency of over 20k players a day, and that's in beta. It's hard to say just how open the beta is, but the game is popular. Ultimately, Dota 2's competition is not GW2 or Diablo 3, but HoN, LoL, and more than anything else Dota 1. Valve have considerable experience with how hard it is to get stodgy, professional, old school gamers to come over from an old iteration of a game to a new one.

The playerbase for Dota is a far different market than Valve's typical target, and appeasing their pickiness is not gonna happen overnight. CS 1.6 and SC:BW are still considered the more competitive and better games amongst their sycophantic followings, and its that sycophantic following that Valve has to target with Dota 2 in order to make the game a true success as their first foray into a serious esports RTS.

Jira

Flamehammer, before they started merging them. I was in a guild named MERCS. The lion's share of my time was spent cursing at my old PC (to be fair though, Vanguard was a mess) and taking part in mass guild-wide harvesting drives so we could get out massive Guild Hall up. From then on out I spent my time decorating it.

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/itemDetails.vm?itemId=1311688

See that? I got a world first on that mount. I got a ton of server firsts on Shidreth for items/npcs/locations. My guild was the first to go into the Pantheon of the Ancients which I'll tell you, the lead up to that and how you got in is still some of the most epic shit I've encountered in gaming. The feeling that we were the first to step foot into that dungeon was a feeling I've yet to feel again in gaming. At one point I had the most damage done for a Cleric and the most money. I also tanked and healed for my static when we couldn't find people, I was known as the Battlemage.

ShaneB

Damn, man... best get on with it, it's a great series that actually manages to follow the books closely enough that I have few complaints. If you don't start now, you'll be out of time. Winter Guild Wars 2 is coming.

Heh, it was just a case of bad timing, I dont watch a lot of tv, or more precisely, I don't tend to follow many series at once. Sunday nights were devoted last fall to Dexter and Walking Dead, so GoT just got put on the backburner.

I can see myself rolling one of each profession quite easily, especially since so much content is account-wide; I won't feel like I'm wasting time doing stuff on one character when I could be doing all of it on a 'main'. I can see myself (fancy dress-up and role player that I am) hanging out in old zones that I like to help out with the quests and craft stuff for people (I used to hang out in Goldshire on my max lavel character and make stuff for people just to be nice). And that's not even counting all the time I'm sure I'll spend in WvW.

"Game of Forever" isn't just a joke here.

Oh, do tell about this account wide stuff, since that always bothered me too, feeling like I just spent all my time on my WoW main and didn't do much else.

Jira

Heh, it was just a case of bad timing, I dont watch a lot of tv, or more precisely, I don't tend to follow many series at once. Sunday nights were devoted last fall to Dexter and Walking Dead, so GoT just got put on the backburner.

Oh, do tell about this account wide stuff, since that always bothered me too, feeling like I just spent all my time on my WoW main and didn't do much else.

A lot of achievements count across your account so say you're working on a dye collection achievement, well dyes are account wide and if you collect 50 dyes for an achievement(dunno if this is real or not) it counts on your whole account, not just your character. Actually, I think achievements are accountwide period. Say you're working on the Magic Master achievement, if you're on a Necro/Elementalist/Mesmer, you'll gain credit towards it for your account.

Retro

Dota 2 is averaging a peak concurrency of over 20k players a day, and that's in beta. It's hard to say just how open the beta is, but the game is popular. Ultimately, Dota 2's competition is not GW2 or Diablo 3, but HoN, LoL, and more than anything else Dota 1.

Thanks for the reply. I tried DotA ages ago and did some testing of a commercial DotA rip-off I won't name, I never got the point of it. It felt like an action/RPG with the interface of an RTS game, but without any real RTS elements. Not my cup of tea at all and the fanbase is frighteningly insular, so I just never got into it. I did have a feeling that there wouldn't be too much overlap between GW2 and DotA2's market though.

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/itemDetails.vm?itemId=1311688

See that? I got a world first on that mount. I got a ton of server firsts on Shidreth for items/npcs/locations. My guild was the first to go into the Pantheon of the Ancients which I'll tell you, the lead up to that and how you got in is still some of the most epic shit I've encountered in gaming. The feeling that we were the first to step foot into that dungeon was a feeling I've yet to feel again in gaming. At one point I had the most damage done for a Cleric and the most money. I also tanked and healed for my static when we couldn't find people, I was known as the Battlemage.

Nice. I think I bottomed out around level 30, but my wife kept playing and since we were part of a... kindred? Fellowship? Whatever feature it was, it allowed you to gain XP when you were offline. I guess she got me to level 45: http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/characters.vm?characterId=73014579265

Nothing remarkable, but it was a damn fun game. It had a ton of really creative ideas but it was far too ambitious.

Jira

Nice. I think I bottomed out around level 30, but my wife kept playing and since we were part of a... kindred? Fellowship? Whatever feature it was, it allowed you to gain XP when you were offline. I guess she got me to level 45: http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/characters.vm?characterId=73014579265

Nothing remarkable, but it was a damn fun game. It had a ton of really creative ideas but it was far too ambitious.

Here's the thing about VG. Brad McQuaid for all of the amazing shit he did for EQ, he was a HORRIBLE project lead. He literally had about an hour of face time with the team in the entire development of the game. He was always so hopped up on pain killers and shit that he would make these random Vanguard posts at 3AM on the Fires of Heaven forums. Anyways, they spent about 3-4 years on the engine and only 1 on content/bugs and such. The game was ambitious as you said, they spread themselves too thin and worked on the engine way too long, though it didn't matter because it was obviously buggy. HOWEVER, no matter how buggy it was, it had a charm to it that has yet to be replicated, it really was EQ for the new generation and I LOVED it for what it was. Non instanced dungeon crawling and placeholders? Yes please! They actually said that when 4gb of ram became standard, they were going to be able to load entire continents into memory at once and get rid of chunking, also they said that the continents we had were TINY compared to future ones. Man building your own boats and houses were amazing too, that game was like UO + EQ + WoW = VG. We'll never see anything like it again. Really...Vanguard is my favorite MMO to come out post-WoW, for all of the bugs it had, I do miss it. In Beta 2 they had a revolutionary combat system that did damage based on the part of the body you hit on an enemy, people whined it was too hard and scrapped it in favor for what we got. The chaining/combo/proc system was pretty damn awesome though.

Retro

Yeah, but GoT was out in the Spring, so you have no excuses! And heaven help you if you haven't seen Rome yet.

Its fun to hear that so many will be joined by yours wifes (like me) or husbands playing this game.

The couple that games together... um... stays lame together? I dunno where I'm heading with this, but I will say that despite having the outward appearance of an non-social activity (heck, our desks even face away from each other), sitting down to play an MMO together beats watching TV; at least we're sharing a hobby and interacting.

Here's the thing about VG.

Preaching to the choir, man, I know all the sordid details to come out of Sigil. I always put more blame on McQuaid's inexperience as a leader than on his painkillers though. He seemed like the kind of guy who is great at coming up with ideas but really needs a structure to reign him in and keep him in reality. With VG, he didn't have that and it shows; lots of ambition, poor implementation.

But yeah, there are fewer things as amazing in my experiences with MMOs as sailing downriver in my wife's Qalian Sloop (The S.S. Salty Mouthful, I told you she had a sense of humor), out to sea to the little island we had our houses and Guild Hall on. It was amazing how much felt right in that game. I guess it's going to go Free to Play eventually, but I don't know if I have the heart to go back. Especially after GW2 will really change more at a fundamental level.

Actually, if you click on Media > Portrait Gallery, you can see my wife's character hoofing it along with me through thick and thin. She loved the Blood Mage class, just one of a hundred things Vanguard brought to the table.

No pictures of our houses, her boat or our guild hall though. It's a shame, I really decorated the hell out of that place.

ShaneB

Yeah, but GoT was out in the Spring, so you have no excuses! And heaven help you if you haven't seen Rome yet.

Yeah I see the original air dates now, I guess my time line is all mixed up, lol. Well in either case I was watching something else on sunday night I think during that time.

And I have not seen Rome :p

Retro

And I have not seen Rome :p

Blasphemy!

Everyone wanting to join GAFGuild is hereby mandated to find and watch Rome.
It's only two seasons long and it's quite old so you should be able to find it cheap.
After that, there will be no debate over what the guild name should be.
Thirteenth!

Blasphemy!

Everyone wanting to join GAFGuild is hereby mandated to find and watch Rome.
It's only two seasons long and it's quite old so you should be able to find it cheap.
After that, there will be no debate over what the guild name should be.
Thirteenth!

Yes!!! Rome is awesome!

Lucius Vorenus is a great name for a GW2 character. :)

Yeah. I've been trying to get back into it to get my HoM stuff, but it's so slow. Finding good builds for all my heroes is a pain in the ass when you've been away from the game for a couple years. So overwhelming.

I have the all campaigns and the expansion already beat, but it's just getting going with builds I'm having issues with. Both for my ranger and heroes.

Pvx.wikia.com

Has great builds for Heros and yourself just need to make sure you have skills unlocked.

Retro

Yes!!! Rome is awesome!

I'd start linking certain... Thirteenth-related arena videos... but I wouldn't want to spoil that moment for anyone who hasn't seen it. But you know what I mean.

And yeah, that's a great name. Grab it quick before somebody swipes it.

First look at the Transmutation Stone UI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irB0YIDpBPg

Looks kinda basic, but it doesn't really need to be flashy as long as it's effective. I like how you pick the appearance and then the stats; there's no chance of confusion there at all.

r4z4

It is possible to switch between two different builds? For example if I had different traits/utility skills selected to complement two different weapon sets as an elementalist. Obviously this should not be possible in battle, but it would be nice to have two different set-ups that can be switched between out of combat.

Jira

It is possible to switch between two different builds? For example if I had different traits/utility skills selected to complement two different weapon sets as an elementalist. Obviously this should not be possible in battle, but it would be nice to have two different set-ups that can be switched between out of combat.

Nope, quickest way to swap out weapons is bring up your hero panel and just drag or right click and equip them. For Traits you just click a major trait and change it out.

Coxswain

You can definitely switch all of those things around as often as you want (out of combat, maybe also out of dungeons).

I'm not entirely sure if there's a specific UI device that lets you save and load your skill/weapon/trait/etc builds to easily swap between them, but there was one in Guild Wars 1, so it's not off the table or anything.

Jira

You can definitely switch all of those things around as often as you want (out of combat, maybe also out of dungeons).

I'm not entirely sure if there's a specific UI device that lets you save and load your skill/weapon/trait/etc builds to easily swap between them, but there was one in Guild Wars 1, so it's not off the table or anything.

Yeah, it would be nice to have, I'd guess we might get it after launch. It's more of a quality of life thing than a mandatory feature at this point.

Nope, quickest way to swap out weapons is bring up your hero panel and just drag or right click and equip them. For Traits you just click a major trait and change it out.

GW1 you have F1-F4 weapon slots but they don't have anything like that in GW2? Youd think they would have something like that now since weapons are more important.

Coxswain

Can I buy all my tarits? Or do I get a fixed amount of trait points.

You can unlock all the traits, but you have a limited number of trait slots/points that you can 'equip' at any given time. You're free to switch between them as much as you'd like, though, without cost or penalty (outside of combat, obviously).

Jira

Can I buy all my tarits? Or do I get a fixed amount of trait points.

You get 70 trait points, but those only dictate how many slots you have. You can get every trait in the game, there's no limit on that.

70 points with 30 in 2 lines and 10 in another gets you 6 major traits and 7 minor (which are hard locked into each line). Traits are different per line, Virtue traits are different from Zeal and so on.

GW1 you have F1-F4 weapon slots but they don't have anything like that in GW2? Youd think they would have something like that now since weapons are more important.

Good point. Maybe it's coming, but just low on the priority list? I mean they just added the ability to zoom on the compass so they're probably putting in those small polish things now that just weren't necessary at the time.

Looks kinda basic, but it doesn't really need to be flashy as long as it's effective. I like how you pick the appearance and then the stats; there's no chance of confusion there at all.
Well, its not like you really need much more than that, so im glad it looks basic and intuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom