• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really prefer Grey before we get R/S/E remakes.

Also boo@3D models.

We need to move on man. The sprites are lovely I admit, but the Pokedex 3D models show how it's finally becoming viable. I was sad they didn't make the battles more 3D last gen, but admittedly it would have looked terrible on DS.

The 3DS HAS THE POWAAAH though. No reason why not.

Suairyu

Banned
We need to move on man. The sprites are lovely I admit, but the Pokedex 3D models show how it's finally becoming viable. I was sad they didn't make the battles more 3D last gen, but admittedly it would have looked terrible on DS.

But it's only just getting good. I feel like with Black and White they got the Pokémon aesthetic perfect. 3D world and amazing sprites. It just looked fantastic; miles better than what was done in Gen IV.

So they finally crack the 2D-and-3D code and then they move straight on? No. I refuse. At least squeeze one more gen out of that wonderful look. Put the polygon budget towards the environment to make it more detailed or something. But keep those lovely sprites.

It's not even the in-battle Pokémon sprites I'd miss the most, though I'd certainly miss them, but rather the overworld. Milling about Castelia City, dodging all the salary men as I ran down the long streets... man, it just looked amazing, okay?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's like, you know how many good JRPG series are long, long dead? How many never even got sequels? Or even those whose next entry isn't assured, the same way a new Pokemon always is.

I know someone is going to turn this into a consumer vs. corporation, gamer vs. dev kind of post but it really isn't. Just have some sense of thankfulness for crying out loud.

I get wanting a good console Pokemon game. We all want that. But to even feign disgust at the thought of a new entry being "just on handhelds?" That is being pretty damn petty and childish if you ask me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just saw an advert for this show and the big reveal in TV and it made me hyped again. :(

20yearoldnerd

Neo Member
Didn't you know? Handhelds are for babbys who cannot into real games. That's why we need Pokemon on consoles.
Nothing wrong with wanting a true pokemon console game, since after all we've had about 30 of them on the handhelds. Don't know where the whole assumption that I believe handhelds are for babies behind the sarcasm came from. I've purchased all of the pokemon handheld games, but quite frankly, I'm open for something new.

KillGore

I don't want Pokemon Gray/Grey, I want something new or a remake of Ruby/Sapphire. Obviously we all know it'll be Pokemon Gray/Grey lol

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It would be amazing if we got a full 3d, open world pokemon game one day.

Imagine trekking to the summit of Mt. Pyre and seeing the Battle Tower through the fog in the distance. Or just watching the in-game sun set as you wait for nightfall to evolve your Sneasel. Or just messing around on your bike like so

This is the sort of stuff that keep me dreaming

Anth0ny

Nah, they still look pretty horrible.

Maybe when Nintendo's portable is at Vita power. Til then, sprites all the way.

Zenaku

Personally I'm not fond of 3D models, but I wouldn't be satisfied with just sprites anymore. I'd like them the go to the next level and use the hand-drawn source images, so the Pokemon and trainers look exactly like Sugimori's artwork.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Nah, they still look pretty horrible.

Maybe when Nintendo's portable is at Vita power. Til then, sprites all the way.
3DS or not, those Pokedex 3D models look incredible. I like sprites but if I had to choose between them or the 3D models, the overblown pixelated sprites would defo get left behind.

with the extra power now they can actually animate the sprites instead of just shaking and distorting them. current animations + 3d pokemon would look gross.

vareon

Pokemon's 3D artwork tend to be...generic. Like there's nothing special about them than "it's pokemon, but with polygon". Improve the sprites I say.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked

Nooo way! It at best has the power of a PSP or Gamecube. The 3D 'mon didn't look so hot on the Cube an they still won't on a system of similar power!

I am so glad that Pokemon fans have no say in the franchise's direction. Sooooo glad.

Seconded!

with the extra power now they can actually animate the sprites instead of just shaking and distorting them. current animations + 3d pokemon would look gross.

While we're at it can we finally get animation for all trainers? Like really how hard is it to animate a couple dozen human sprites? The E4, gym leaders, head villian, and rivals got their groove on. Now its time for the common folk to join in!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Nooo way! It at best has the power of a PSP or Gamecube. The 3D 'mon didn't look so hot on the Cube an they still won't on a system of similar power!

The models in Pokedex 3D look soo much better than the ones in Colosseum or XD. They're not even on the same level.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
3D models are probably the only way we have to get different animations for each attack for each Pokeymen. So yeah, bring them on.

hoping for a pokemon game so grand we get all 600 something in one cartridge.

is there any record of someone with a truly complete pokedex without hacking or AR coding?

GameE

So what are the chances of any pokemon game being announced tomorrow? What will Masuda announce if its not for a game?

Masuda seems to prefer sprites:

Masuda said:
One of the reasons for sticking with the 2D Pokemon images is, with the 2D, it really depends on who draws it. There's a lot of personality that's drawn from the 2D images, whereas with 3D, it's the same model used for everything, so the personality doesn't really come out. One of the reasons we've stuck with 2D is to get a more individual feel with it.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011...te-made-for-3ds-and-why-are-pokemon-still-2d/

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hoping for a pokemon game so grand we get all 600 something in one cartridge.

is there any record of someone with a truly complete pokedex without hacking or AR coding?

It's possible not including the last three, which are yet to be officially distributed.

I've got like 8 to go not including those, I completed the Dex in SoulSilver using a bit of help from GAF and a ton of time in the Safari Zone.

It's possible not including the last three, which are yet to be officially distributed.

I've got like 8 to go not including those, I completed the Dex in SoulSilver using a bit of help from GAF and a ton of time in the Safari Zone.

a real trooper. i thought i could do it until my ds lite, emerald green and diamond were thrown in a sink with running water. the loss of hours was too much. havent touched a pokemon since....

what's so different now that they couldn't animate the them before?

Masuda seems to prefer sprites:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011...te-made-for-3ds-and-why-are-pokemon-still-2d/

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

That's clearly bs. They never had an option until now.

He also says that they apparently make the 2d vs 3d decision at the beginning of every game ... like they could get away with a 3D Pokemon on the damn DS/ GBA.

shaowebb

Pokemon Card game been mentioned yet as a possible idea? Likely the announcement is Gray, but making a full digital version of the card game now would be pretty cool given the online capabilities to play. Its a way better idea now than back on the Gameboy eras.

Balb

I don't think we really need r/s/e remakes in the same way we needed r/b and g/s remakes. I consider r/s/e to be be the beginning of the modern era of Pokemon with clean sprites, abilities and the IV/EV system as we know them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy them but I don't know how much there is to gain by making them in terms of improving them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That is too wildly safe to be a good fake prediction. All of that stuff is possible and a bunch of it is downright likely.

what's so different now that they couldn't animate the them before?

That's clearly bs. They never had an option until now.

He also says that they apparently make the 2d vs 3d decision at the beginning of every game ... like they could get away with a 3D Pokemon on the damn DS/ GBA.

I didn't say the next one was going to be 2D. I was just saying that Masuda seems to favor the sprites. 3D could have technically been done on the DS, but it would have been quite ugly.

frostbyte

Pokemon Card game been mentioned yet as a possible idea? Likely the announcement is Gray, but making a full digital version of the card game now would be pretty cool given the online capabilities to play. Its a way better idea now than back on the Gameboy eras.

I loved the Gameboy one although I didn't play the card game IRL that much.

Do people still play the Pokemon Card game as fervently as before?

I loved the Gameboy one although I didn't play the card game IRL that much.

Do people still play the Pokemon Card game as fervently as before?

i play with my daughter almost daily. we played a game with a 120 card deck and 12 prizes.....crazy fun. a card game on the 3DS would make my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom