• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakphoon

Okay I'm hoping for grey as much as anyone , but why would they reveal it on a tv show . Wouldn't it have been better for them to reveal it on nintendo direct?

I guess because Pokémon Smash is directly from Nintendo / the Pokémon Company.

Wiseblade

Okay I'm hoping for grey as much as anyone , but why would they reveal it on a tv show . Wouldn't it have been better for them to reveal it on nintendo direct?
They've done it multiple times before.

Anyway, people should be tempering their expectations. The most we're likely to get today is a silhouette of Kyurem's new for in Grey. Then CoroCoro comes out announcing a new game and the next Pokémon Smash follows suit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I don't think Nintendo Direct has nearly as large an audience as Pokemon Smash.

Salvadora

They've done it multiple times before.

Anyway, people should be tempering their expectations. The most we're likely to get today is a silhouette of Kyurem's new for in Grey. Then CoroCoro comes out announcing a new game and the next Pokémon Smash follows suit.

Its enough to know its coming.

This announcement should be coming today, correct?

Im really hoping for Grey on the 3DS, but if thats not the case I at least hope its 3DS game.. Pokemon Snap for the 3DS would make people go nuts, haha.

*waits for full 3D Dragon Quest VIII-esque Pokemon*

This, IMO, is the best way to handle Pokemon transitioning into a full 3D style game. I would really love to see a game like this make its way to the Wii-U, but seeing as Pokemon rarely steps outside its comfort zone with its main efforts I would be happy for this on the 3DS.

wrowa

It would be funny if Pokemon Grey will indeed be announced today ... but they won't name the plattform it's going to be released on.

Troll level: Pokémon. :p

This announcement should be coming today, correct?

Im really hoping for Grey on the 3DS, but if thats not the case I at least hope its 3DS game.. Pokemon Snap for the 3DS would make people go nuts, haha.

This, IMO, is the best way to handle Pokemon transitioning into a full 3D style game. I would really love to see a game like this make its way to the Wii-U, but seeing as Pokemon rarely steps outside its comfort zone with its main efforts I would be happy for this on the 3DS.

It's hitting at 2:30 PST, 5:30 EST.

whoever said celshaded phantom hourglass style is so right. battles could still use high quality sprites, and overworld would be awesome. and please....... can we finally run diagonally.

whoever said celshaded phantom hourglass style is so right. battles could still use high quality sprites, and overworld would be awesome. and please....... can we finally run diagonally.

These 2 games show visually how a fully 3D pokemon game could easily work artistically-

ps2_dragonquest8_06.jpg

011.jpg

6b9fb7c2c5dfffac29186a62a3de4f49.jpg

All they would have to do is expand on their routes from town to town, and how we identify areas to run into wild Pokemon and it would be great. Heck, FF13 has a very linear feel to it.. If they expand on that with Pokemon's design style it could work out.

Snakeyes

All they would have to do is expand on their routes from town to town, and how we identify areas to run into wild Pokemon and it would be great. Heck, FF13 has a very linear feel to it.. If they expand on that with Pokemon's design style it could work out.
Forgot all about Ninokuni. That art style would be perfect for Pokemon with a few tweaks.

How would you guys like battles to be handled? I think it would be nice to have two modes; dramatic battle with camera angles and long attack animations and basic battle with the classic over-the-shoulder view and very short animations, if any.

udivision

They should take a cue from FF 12. See the mons on the field. Not all are agressive. The game will automatically send out your mon to do battle when an agressive one comes too close, and the turn-based battle system will "start." It'll still be one on one, there'll still be a chance that a second Pokemon might wander in and fight with or against you depending on species/compatibility of pokemon in battle. I.e. wild rattata's might gang up on you, but if you're using a butterfree to fight a wild Pidgey, a random caterpie might take your side. Or it'll flee.

voice acting would kill the series. so much expression in those modem noises.
Which reminds me they should at least borrow some cries from the Stadium games, at least for the old mons.

Pokemon Gray plus Monster Hunter 4 and a 2D Mario in the same year could potentially be enough to end the handheld war.

The Big 3 of 2012.

Snakeyes

One more thing on battles; since everything is connected these days thanks to the web, next-gen Pokemon battles could work a bit like correspondence chess. You'd have a server that stores the data on every battle that is currently in progress so that players can drop out and continue at a later time if need be. Of course, there would be a time limit on how long a player can stay idle without counterattacking.

Zebra

Seeing the ninokuni pictures I realized that would be perfect, but was worried for a second about how that look would transfer to the less powerful 3DS. Then I remembered there was a DS game and that it actually managed to capture the aesthetic really well. A 3DS game in that style would look amazing.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Next you guys are going to want voice acting for each individual pokemon.

I feel sorry for those guys in charge of making the Pokemon cries in the show interesting - there's only so many unique ways you can say a Pokemon's name over and over again, and try and get different emotions out of it. It must be soul-destroying.

Red

One more thing on battles; since everything is connected these days thanks to the web, next-gen Pokemon battles could work a bit like correspondence chess. You'd have a server that stores the data on every battle that is currently in progress so that players can drop out and continue at a later time if need be. Of course, there would be a time limit on how long a player can stay idle without counterattacking.

Frozen Synapse uses an email system for turns, which is awesome, but I don't see Pokemon doing anything like that in the near future. Would be nice though.

udivision

Asynchronous pokemon battles? I guess if it saved a copy of your current team so you could continue your game without having to wait on the other player or having your brave advancements change things.

Mario = Wade
Pokemon Gray = Lebron
Monster Hunter 4 = Bosh

Sounds about right?

Vita to win this year, then.

Note: Add like 30 minutes to that because the first half hour will just be a rerun of an earlier episode.

Then add about 20 more minutes to that for all the random stuff they do (card game, general kid activities, battles, etc.)

What I'm saying is: Expect something like this right at the end:
i81vr.png

Mario = Wade
Pokemon Gray = Lebron
Monster Hunter 4 = Bosh

Sounds about right?

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of...

Monster Hunter 4 = Monster Hunter 3G
Pokemon Gray = Super Mario 3D Land
2D Mario = Mario Kart 7

But all of those are likely to outsell their equivalents. Sony needs to show that they have a strong answer to this.

Snakeyes

Frozen Synapse uses an email system for turns, which is awesome, but I don't see Pokemon doing anything like that in the near future. Would be nice though.
Hey, I might have to try it out just to see how it works. Looks a bit too basic though.

Vita to win this year, then.

Vita will get a small boost with Modern Linfare 4 Portable but it won't be enough to make it past the 2nd round.

idwl

IF grey is revealed, when can we realistically expect it to be released in the US? whats the shortest time span between pokemon released in japan and rest of world

Kyzer

Banned
I figure Nintendo has to completely overhaul the graphics to something that can be rescaled to HD anyways, so they might as well have started working on it to be released on the 3DS.

Im not usually that optimistic about seeing a whole lot of innovation (of course I still nerdgasm because I can never get enough Pokemon), but I have high hopes for whatever they release on the 3DS.

Also, them coming out of the blue with B/W for the DS makes me think they always had a lot more in simultaneous production than they would lead anyone to believe.

Note: Add like 30 minutes to that because the first half hour will just be a rerun of an earlier episode.

Then add about 20 more minutes to that for all the random stuff they do (card game, general kid activities, battles, etc.)

What I'm saying is: Expect something like this right at the end:
i81vr.png
Indeed. Except this time, replace Zoroark with a silhouette of Keldeo instead, for its formal unveiling on the show--that's all I'm really expecting to come from this (unless Keldeo's already been teased on an episode of Pokemon Smash). Not trying to be a downer, but I just don't want to get my hopes up over something like this unless there's extremely good reason.

udivision

Indeed. Except this time, replace Zoroark with a silhouette of Keldeo instead, for its formal unveiling on the show--that's all I'm really expecting to come from this (unless Keldeo's already been teased on an episode of Pokemon Smash). Not trying to be a downer, but I just don't want to get my hopes up over something like this unless there's extremely good reason.

oh man, you're right aren't you.

botty

Banned
Why do people keep saying this will be Keldeo's formal reveal, when CoroCoro is already confirmed to be doing that reveal?

gosox333

When the Zoroark silhouette was revealed, didn't Corocoro have their own reveal very shortly after? Same with the B/W starters, I think.

Breaking news comes both from this show and Corocoro, and they do sometimes reveal the same thing.

udivision

When the Zoroark silhouette was revealed, didn't Corocoro have their own reveal very shortly after? Same with the B/W starters, I think.

Breaking news comes both from this show and Corocoro, and they do sometimes reveal the same thing.

Yea, you're right.

upandaway

Pokemon Gray plus Monster Hunter 4 and a 2D Mario in the same year could potentially be enough to end the handheld war.

The Big 3 of 2012.
That's some crazy wishful thinking there man

The key difference in this case is Masuda's tweet. Why would he tweet, twice, about a reveal which was revealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom