• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.2.22 - Feb 22nd, 6AM EST [Over]

M-PG71C

+

Mario Tennis Open on the week of my birthday, fuck yeah!

Kid Icarus is looking amazing, March is going to be a good month.

Fire Emblem is confirmed for Europe!

The Last Story is coming Stateside thanks to XSEED. One of my favorite companies ever!

-

Fire Emblem is NOT confirmed for the U.S. Make it happen NOA, make it happen.

Potentially no RPG mode for Mario Tennis. :(

All in all, pretty freaking good. I'm more than happy with what we got in news.

Pandora's Tower is the last one that needs to come Stateside. I hope it comes honestly.

gotta love nintendo fanboys. overhyped the shit out of this event last night.this morning, you all act like mario tennis news is awesome and what you expected to come out of it. acting like nothing happen. nice one guys. nice one.
I'm going to buy a copy of Mario Tennis now just for you. And it'll be awesome as hell.

Wiseblade

Mario Tennis is barebones because Camelot is too busy making sure (the yet to be announced) Mario Golf's single player is the best it possibly can be.

...I hope.

The weird thing is that Bill Trinen wasn't always like this in public. I remember 2005 (I think) and he demoed Electroplankton at GDC, he was upbeat and silly and sounded really excited about what he was showing off. And he'd have that same goofy energy when he would translate for Miyamoto in English interviews. The funny thing is back then, during the those interviews, whenever Trinen did the awkward charm thing and tried to joke around, Miyamoto was the one that would look annoyed. I think Bill's a nice guy, or was, he probably just got chewed out for being essentially the representative of one of the most famous men in gaming and treating it "unprofessionally". If that happened to me I'd probably turn into an angry robot too.

Really? Maybe Miyamoto was just getting used to the "translator dynamic" at the time because I watched several interviews with them back in 2009 (NSMB Wii launch) and 2010 (Mario 25th) and they both seemed to be having fun and played off of each other well. I remember one where Miyamoto was kind of embarassed that he hadn't seen King of Kong yet and laughed sheepishly and Bill smiled and said he was going to get him the DVD and 'make sure he finally watches it.' So yeah, he can be cool, maybe I was a bit rough on him in my previous post but I need to see what OniLink was talking about and I'd like to see those annoyed expressions from Miyamoto if you can remember what the interviews were.

Is this name a joke? Riots by religious groups incoming?

They actually seem to be getting a lot more bold with that. Skyward Sword had "Demon Lord" Ghirahim and Spirit Tracks had "The Demon King" and the Zelda series certainly isn't niche like Fire Emblem obviously. Also, Super Paper Mario had the "Underwhere" stage complete with Queen Jades and the little red horned guys called D-Men, not to mention the part where you bring the other characters back to life by shaking a tree for "The Forbidden Apple." Either that or NOA is just way more relaxed with what they choose to censor and modify.

Argyle

10673061797079_sans_titre_2.jpg

Hope you don't mind my stealing this to use as an avatar :)

emb

They actually seem to be getting a lot more bold with that. Skyward Sword had "Demon Lord" Ghirahim and Spirit Tracks had "The Demon King" and the Zelda series certainly isn't niche like Fire Emblem obviously. Also, Super Paper Mario had the "Underwhere" stage complete with Queen Jades and the little red horned guys called D-Men, not to mention the part where you bring the other characters back to life by shaking a tree for "The Forbidden Apple." Either that or NOA is just way more relaxed with what they choose to censor and modify.

I don't think it's an issue of Nintendo overcensoring any more. In this case, more so just the name. It doesn't at all communicate that the game is Brain Training, and it would off put most of the (less informed, expanded) audience for that game.

I'm sure the name will be changed if/when it's localized though, so I guess it kind of doesn't matter.

udivision

There's always been the option to disable them at least, right?

Yeah, it asks you before every match just like how you choose what stage to play it. It's the Smash Bros effect. The very existance of something completely optional pisses people off like you wouldn't believe.

I don't think it's an issue of Nintendo overcensoring any more. In this case, more so just the name. It doesn't at all communicate that the game is Brain Training, and it would off put most of the (less informed, expanded) audience for that game.

I'm sure the name will be changed if/when it's localized though, so I guess it kind of doesn't matter.

They said they hadn't decided on a name yet on the stream.

Missed the fun this morning; glad to hear about The Last Story. I think I'm pretty much done with my Wii, but I'll get it when it releases and save it for the Wii U.

Really bummed as well about lack of RPG mode in Mario Tennis. Can't really see myself spending 40 dollars on it otherwise.

This cover looks super next-gen. Look at all of that motion blur and bokeh.

to be honest, the cover kinda looks to me like the game will play more like the GC/Wii versions with a lot of extra powers etc and not like the N64 version which was more about actual tennis than gimmicks!

i seriously hope i am wrong though and they will go back to basics and deliver an awesome playing title!

I didn't realize it either. Honestly the most disappointing thing is the fact it didn't get switched to Wii U.

Seems like Nintendo is fond of this series now for some reason, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd already have FF5 in development for WiiU. The controller could be used quite well as the camera.

Nekki

God damn it took me a long while to read all 92 pages of this thread!!! How do people manage to post regularly on the most active periods???? Maybe i'm not made for forum discussions D:

Anyway overall great announcements for Japan, which we should be somewhat happy about as it means potential new games for the other regions (or not).

Other videos, especially NoA's, seem to be more focused on the certain period it'll cover.

If Nintendo Direct keeps up like this, it's really a good way of informing and REMINDING consumers of what's up ahead in the near future.

So i guess we can expect another ND by the end of april, right??

zroid

Banned
God damn it took me a long while to read all 92 pages of this thread!!! How do people manage to post regularly on the most active periods???? Maybe i'm not made for forum discussions D:

Anyway overall great announcements for Japan, which we should be somewhat happy about as it means potential new games for the other regions (or not).

Other videos, especially NoA's, seem to be more focused on the certain period it'll cover.

If Nintendo Direct keeps up like this, it's really a good way of informing and REMINDING consumers of what's up ahead in the near future.

Haha, reading it now, you missed most of the fun. Mostly everyone's avatars are changed back.

Maybe in Japan but in America mostly won't happen until after E3. Months after.

clemenx

Banned
I will be pretty disappointed if there's not RPG in Mario Tennis. It's a staple of the series on the portable side :(

Oh well, as long as the online is good I'll be fine.

I will be pretty disappointed if there's not RPG in Mario Tennis. It's a staple of the series on the portable side :(

Oh well, as long as the online is good I'll be fine.

Whether or not there is an RPG mode, I just wish for more single player content. It is a portable title after all, regardless of online. I thought Mario Kart 7 really skimped on single player stuff, there should have been a mission mode a la MKDS. I hope they put some more effort into the single player of Mario Tennis Open.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
After I saw what Sakurai did with Kid Icarus I cannot help but feel that his talents are being wasted on yet another smash bros. sequel.

In fact I would love it if he worked on a completely knew franchise with an unlimited budget to develop to his hearts content. Now would be the perfect time to do so with Nintendo's first foray into HD technology.

Don't misunderstand me. I see the importance and need for a Smash Bros. game with good online functionality. Sakurai could simply produce the next SB through HAL while directing his own new project with PS.

Designers of his caliber deserve an inordinate amount of latitude from his or her publisher to developer whatever they please.

Nekki

Haha, reading it now, you missed most of the fun. Mostly everyone's avatars are changed back.

I did see the avatar changes (though i was readig the Japan Sales thread). It was kinda scary seeing Reggie so many times haha. Also some of the shops and gifs here are awesome!!

After I saw what Sakurai did with Kid Icarus I cannot help but feel that his talents are being wasted on yet another smash bros. sequel.

In fact I would love it if he worked on a completely knew franchise with an unlimited budget to develop to his hearts content. Now would be the perfect time to do so with Nintendo's first foray into HD technology.

Don't misunderstand me. I see the importance and need for a Smash Bros. game with good online functionality. Sakurai could simply produce the next SB through HAL while directing his own new project with PS.

Designers of his caliber deserve an inordinate amount of latitude from his or her publisher to developer whatever they please.

Just don't let him do any sidescroller/platformer, it'd be boring as hell.

Nekki

I think Sakurai gets a lot of freedom when it comes to the games he works on. What I mean is, probably they shoot the franchise he's working on at him, and that's his canvas, then he just goes crazy with it. You can see that by how content packed his games are

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I think Sakurai gets a lot of freedom when it comes to the games he works on. What I mean is, probably they shoot the franchise he's working on at him, and that's his canvas, then he just goes crazy with it. You can see that by how content packed his games are

Yes but they still tell him which franchise to go crazy with. IMO someone of his talent is limited by the confines of an already established IP.

Looking at Kid Icarus, at least to me, it is obvious that Sakurai could make a game as original as Bayonetta or Vanquish if left to his own devices.

Project Sora under his direction could easily become Nintendo's premier mature content developer. I am not saying that is the direction he should go in but it is just one possibility.

Yes but they still tell him which franchise to go crazy with. IMO someone of his talent is limited by the confines of an already established IP.

Looking at Kid Icarus, at least to me, it is obvious that Sakurai could make a game as original as Bayonetta or Vanquish if left to his own devices.

Project Sora under his direction could easily become Nintendo's premier mature content developer. I am not saying that is the direction he should go in but it is just one possibility.

That's...
Not what happened at all.

He was working on a game and Iwata asked if he'd like to use one of their older franchises.
He said sure and chose Kid Icarus.
There was no forcing of anything.

And what do you mean mature content developer?
What kind of mature content do you expect out of the guy that created fucking Kirby?

Banjoman

That's...
Not what happened at all.

He was working on a game and Iwata asked if he'd like to use one of their older franchises.
He said sure and chose Kid Icarus.
There was no forcing of anything.

And what do you mean mature content developer?
What kind of mature content do you expect out of the guy that created fucking Kirby?
eovmd.gif

wrowa

The 3DS will launch in South Korea at the end of the month, so it'll probably related to that.

I expect that there'll also be a new Nintendo Direct in Japan, though. They've been doing one every two months, if they continue this schedule another one is due at the end of April.

Since the Directs are pretty much focused on the Japanese market and games that'll release in the near future, I also don't think that the upcoming E3 is a reason for them to take a break this time around.

Top Bottom