• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

PixyJunket
Member
(02-25-2012, 05:28 PM)
PixyJunket's Avatar
I do not know which of these are on PSN or even on PSN and compatible with the Vita, but here are some PSP RPGs I liked.

Half-Minute Hero is awesome, although it is certainly not a traditional RPG. You basically play micro RPGs that last a minute or two at most, the idea is to speed through battles and level up quickly enough to take out the boss in each area. There is a demo on PSN that is not only unique from the missions in the full game, but will give you a good idea of what the game is like.

Gurumin is not an RPG, but most people tend to call it an RPG anyway so I'll mention it because it's simply one of my top PSP games. It's an action/adventure/platofrmer with crazy good music.

The Ys series has been mentioned enough but can never get enough praise. My preferred order of recommendation will be Felghana > Napishtim (not on PSN, sad face) > Chronicles >>>>>>> Seven.
Suairyu
Banned
(02-25-2012, 05:36 PM)
Suairyu's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadiWulf

It works, at least according to this guy

https://twitter.com/#%21/uncyrus/sta...99282227511297

If someone can get to making a translation patch for this I'd be very grateful.
Atcha
Member
(02-25-2012, 05:36 PM)
Atcha's Avatar
I suggest you : ZHP
Seventy5
Member
(02-25-2012, 05:38 PM)
Seventy5's Avatar
Does anyone have the digital version of Phantasy Star Portable 1 or 2? I really want to know if it works on Vita because I want that game more than anything else on PSN store.
DMPrince
Member
(02-25-2012, 05:42 PM)
DMPrince's Avatar

Originally Posted by the-iek

Ys 7 is about 15 Euro on the EU store, has anyone tried it on the Vita? Can I play it by transferring it from my PS3?

looks just as good as it was on psp
Perkel
Banned
(02-25-2012, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Negator

Does anyone know if Final Fantasy Tactics: WOTL had its slowdown lowered or removed if you're playing on a Vita?

hmm, will test it. I will back few minutes.

edit: tested it

There are still slowdowns and sound issues. I think it didn't have anything with PSP power it was just poorly done.

Those slowdowns are only when you use skills that blacken screen like magic.

If you like FFT you should choose Tactics Ogre it is superior to FFt in every way. And PSP version on Vita looks and works awasome.
Last edited by Perkel; 02-25-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Grimmy
Banned
(02-25-2012, 11:14 PM)
Grimmy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Toma

Alright, started playing Trails in the Sky. 2 hours in, I really like all the game mechanics the game seems to offer. I hope there is a good bit of rewarding exploration too. While walking through the first town once and talking to everyone I "only" got one book out of it (and a bit of background story.)

Hopefully exploration will get a bit more exciting, but promising start.

Oh by the time you get to chapter 3 you'll find that the background story is pretty huge ;)
Cisce
Member
(02-25-2012, 11:32 PM)
Cisce's Avatar
If you don't mind either disabling the voice overs (option in game) or using an undub patch. The European version of Tales of Eternia's a pretty faithful PSX port if you enjoy RPGs.

Be sure to get manual mode when you're in the Dojo, it's no fun using semi-auto in a 2D Tales game.
bernardobri
Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
(02-25-2012, 11:34 PM)
bernardobri's Avatar

Originally Posted by Perkel

If you like FFT you should choose Tactics Ogre it is superior to FFt in every way. And PSP version on Vita looks and works awasome.

So Tactics Ogre works great on the Vita? That sounds nice...
ukas
Member
(02-25-2012, 11:37 PM)
ukas's Avatar
Can you use a US psn card on the EU store? I've never done this before and wasn't sure.
Lain
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:18 AM)
Lain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seventy5

Does anyone have the digital version of Phantasy Star Portable 1 or 2? I really want to know if it works on Vita because I want that game more than anything else on PSN store.

I have Phantasy Star Portable 2 digital and it works on my Vita, but mine is the EU version of the game (bought off the Italy PSN store).
Snapshot King
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:23 AM)
Snapshot King's Avatar

Originally Posted by kuroshiki

That's like comparing Beethoven to Justin Beaver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcTLJ692F70
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(02-26-2012, 02:31 AM)
Suikoguy's Avatar
It appears that Brave Story, and Star Ocean parts 1 and 2 are both not on PSN :(

On a more postive note:
Some deals for those interested

9.99
Final Fantasy Tatics
Wild Arms XF
Half Minute Hero

14.99
YS Games
Gurumin

19.99
Tactics Ogre
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
(Wow at both of these only being 19.99).

I hope Atlus lightens up a bit on pricing, 39.99 still for Persona 1 remake...
leng jai
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:33 AM)
leng jai's Avatar
Just looked up Persona 3's price on AU PSN - $54.95. Yeah...no.
Stumpokapow
Currently AFK. Please ask another moderator for help or support.
(02-26-2012, 02:34 AM)
Stumpokapow's Avatar
Brave Story: New Traveler is pretty awesome. You guys should really buy it.

*laughs*
Eusis
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:34 AM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Suikoguy

It appears that Brave Story, and Star Ocean parts 1 and 2 are both not on PSN :(

Brave Story WAS on, but has since been delisted. I wouldn't count on seeing it again, and we'll probably be lucky if it get Vita support. SO1 and 2 never were on PSN though, so I'm hoping SE (and other companies) start reaching into their back catalog/sorting out licensing and getting these games published there.
Zulithe
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:42 AM)
Zulithe's Avatar
I'm in for TitS! Highly considering TO a my next purchase. Might break down and get FFT:WotL even if it's somewhat flawed... I'd much rather play it on my Vita than on an iPad T__T

I seriously, badly, desperately want those Persona games... but not at $40 each.

Still mad that I can't buy Brave Story. Missed that boat.

Even madder that I can't buy Birth by Sleep or FF7:CC. I hope SE hears the fans on these two games and finds a way to make it work. Disney doesn't want more money?
Lain
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:43 AM)
Lain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

Brave Story: New Traveler is pretty awesome. You guys should really buy it.

*laughs*

That's mean, man.
JWong
Banned
(02-26-2012, 02:44 AM)
JWong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

Brave Story: New Traveler is pretty awesome. You guys should really buy it.

*laughs*

I will begin an auction of my UMD version.
PistolGrip
sex vacation in Guam
(02-26-2012, 02:54 AM)
PistolGrip's Avatar
Is Jeanne d'arc playable on the Vita? Going to be my first download.
Grimmy
Banned
(02-26-2012, 02:54 AM)
Grimmy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

Brave Story: New Traveler is pretty awesome. You guys should really buy it.

*laughs*

Apart from the decent graphics, the game is grossly overrated.


Originally Posted by PistolGrip

Is Jeanne d'arc playable on the Vita? Going to be my first download.

Yes, but only via the PS3.
SpaceBridge
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:55 AM)
SpaceBridge's Avatar
Anyone try God Eater on Vita? Does it run and how much more improved is it with the camera mapped to the right analog?
Seventy5
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:57 AM)
Seventy5's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lain

I have Phantasy Star Portable 2 digital and it works on my Vita, but mine is the EU version of the game (bought off the Italy PSN store).

Awesome, gonna grab the US version. Thanks!
bunbun777
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:57 AM)
bunbun777's Avatar
I picked up tactics ogre and trails in the sky both are lots a fun.

Why no love for Crimson Gem Saga? It looks really nice and it got decent reviews - supposedly a throw back to old scool rpgs - has anyone actually played it and enjoyed it? The 29.99 price is a bit daunting i want to hear something good.
SpaceBridge
Member
(02-26-2012, 02:58 AM)
SpaceBridge's Avatar

Originally Posted by bunbun777

I picked up tactics ogre and trails in the sky both are lots a fun.

Why no love for Crimson Gem Saga? It looks really nice and it got decent reviews - supposedly a throw back to old scool rpgs - has anyone actually played it and enjoyed it? The 29.99 price is a bit daunting i want to hear something good.

Dont. Waste. Your. Money.

Honestly it felt like i was playing Flash game.
justinschwimmer
Junior Member
(02-26-2012, 02:58 AM)
Lunar is a MUST buy at 14.99
Grimmy
Banned
(02-26-2012, 02:59 AM)
Grimmy's Avatar

Originally Posted by bunbun777

I picked up tactics ogre and trails in the sky both are lots a fun.

Why no love for Crimson Gem Saga? It looks really nice and it got decent reviews - supposedly a throw back to old scool rpgs - has anyone actually played it and enjoyed it? The 29.99 price is a bit daunting i want to hear something good.

The game has decent characters and some funny lines, but the game is ultimately underwhelming - especially the awful ending. Worth it for $9.99, but $29.99? LOLOLOL.
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(02-26-2012, 03:00 AM)
mattiewheels's Avatar
Brave Story doesn't even work on Vita? Glad I didn't rush to buy it just because they pulled it off the store. I almost did because I was thinking ahead to having a Vita too.
Emitan
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:03 AM)
Emitan's Avatar
Persona 3 Portable

My 2nd favorite portable RPG after Mother 3. (not including SRPGs)
kuroshiki
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:03 AM)
kuroshiki's Avatar

Originally Posted by bunbun777

I picked up tactics ogre and trails in the sky both are lots a fun.

Why no love for Crimson Gem Saga? It looks really nice and it got decent reviews - supposedly a throw back to old scool rpgs - has anyone actually played it and enjoyed it? The 29.99 price is a bit daunting i want to hear something good.

Because it is an awful game. The game is heavily based on sneak attack (you attack the enemy while sneaking... so when it succeeds, the battle becomes easy. But when you failed to do so, prepare to be slaughtered)

There is no 2nd play round benefit because story is laughable, too easy to predict. I mean, story is really really bad.
Eusis
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:05 AM)
Eusis's Avatar
I suppose for Crimson Gem Saga I can play the iOS version I got for cheap if I ever feel tempted when it goes on sale or whatever.
Alligatorjandro
MONEY UP, BITCH
(02-26-2012, 03:05 AM)
Alligatorjandro's Avatar
FF IV Complete Collection is awesome if anyone wants to spend $30 on it.
Eusis
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:09 AM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alligatorjandro

FF IV Complete Collection is awesome if anyone wants to spend $30 on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of us played through FFIV a few times. I'm waiting on a sale of some sort, even just a drop to $20, before I grab it.
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(02-26-2012, 03:11 AM)
Adam Prime's Avatar
Trails in the Sky
Tactics Orge
Half Minute Hero
Persona 3


BOOM. You'll never need to purchase another game for a year.
DMPrince
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:11 AM)
DMPrince's Avatar

Originally Posted by Adam Prime

Trails in the Sky
Tactics Orge
Half Minute Hero
Persona 3


BOOM. You'll never need to purchase another game for a year.

Cladun x2.
bunbun777
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:13 AM)
bunbun777's Avatar
thanks everyone for saving me money and dissapointments on CGS - i think YS games will probably be the next ones i grab

or maybe MHFU i just dont know...
JWong
Banned
(02-26-2012, 03:14 AM)
JWong's Avatar
Jesus fuck! Why am I doing the same thing I did in the first Valkyria?

I'm just grinding a level 1 mission until everyone is max level...

Actually, I'm grinding some easy DLC mission that's like so easy to beat.
Grimmy
Banned
(02-26-2012, 03:15 AM)
Grimmy's Avatar

Originally Posted by bunbun777

thanks everyone for saving me money and dissapointments on CGS - i think YS games will probably be the next ones i grab

or maybe MHFU i just dont know...

Get the Ys games - there's no contest.
Eusis
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:15 AM)
Eusis's Avatar
Should've grabbed an extra copy of MHFU when it was on sale on Amazon. Now I'm obstinately refusing to grab it on PSN for now just because dammit I could've paid $13 less earlier! Or at least $10 less.

Actually, I wish I took better advantage of that Capcom sale period. Ghosting might've killed the arcade collections on the PSP-1000/2000 and still hampered them on the 3000, but on the Vita they would've likely been godlike.
KingK
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:19 AM)
KingK's Avatar
I think I'm going to pick up TitS, VC2 (loved the first one on PS3, so idk why I never picked this up), and Jeanne D'Arc (and maybe one of the Ys games) to play over the summer. I'm going to be spending a couple weeks on vacation in Colorado, so I'm going to have a lot of time to play some handheld games.
kuroshiki
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:27 AM)
kuroshiki's Avatar

Originally Posted by KingK

I think I'm going to pick up TitS, VC2 (loved the first one on PS3, so idk why I never picked this up), and Jeanne D'Arc (and maybe one of the Ys games) to play over the summer. I'm going to be spending a couple weeks on vacation in Colorado, so I'm going to have a lot of time to play some handheld games.

Dude.

Skip everything and get YS seven and thank me later.
Zee-Row
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:32 AM)
Zee-Row's Avatar

Originally Posted by mattiewheels

Brave Story doesn't even work on Vita? Glad I didn't rush to buy it just because they pulled it off the store. I almost did because I was thinking ahead to having a Vita too.

See this is the reason i won't support digital releases. i bought the UMD version of Brave Story so i'll still be able to play it no matter what.
kuroshiki
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:33 AM)
kuroshiki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

See this is the reason i won't support digital releases. i bought the UMD version of Brave Story so i'll still be able to play it no matter what.

If you bought the PSN version you can still download it on PSP.
GrumpyAlien
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:36 AM)
GrumpyAlien's Avatar
I hope that Persona 1,2, and 3 get some kind of sale soon. WTF at still being $39.99 each?
DMPrince
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:39 AM)
DMPrince's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrumpyAlien

I hope that Persona 1,2, and 3 get some kind of sale soon. WTF at still being $39.99 each?

maybe sometimes around the time of P4G is out in japan. think it would be a good time for a sale.
Zee-Row
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:43 AM)
Zee-Row's Avatar

Originally Posted by kuroshiki

If you bought the PSN version you can still download it on PSP.

Yeah but the incentive for buying digital should be the guarantee that you can play your downloaded games on all Sony handheld platforms.
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(02-26-2012, 03:54 AM)
Suikoguy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

Yeah but the incentive for buying digital should be the guarantee that you can play your downloaded games on all Sony handheld platforms.

Sony really should step up and publish the games themselves, even if it's a minor loss. There are really only a handful of games not on PSN, and the "All PSP Games are also on PSN" monicker would be quite the useable phrase.

Of course, from my reading about MST3K, some content holders can be dickheads, and ask for outrageous fees or just refuse to give rights at all.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(02-26-2012, 03:55 AM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Suikoguy

Sony really should step up and publish the games themselves, even if it's a minor loss. There are really only a handful of games not on PSN, and the "All PSP Games are also on PSN" monicker would be quite the useable phrase.

Of course, from my reading about MST3K, some content holders can be dickheads, and ask for outrageous fees or just refuse to give rights at all.

A handful? It's the large majority I believe.
JWong
Banned
(02-26-2012, 03:58 AM)
JWong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Suikoguy

Sony really should step up and publish the games themselves, even if it's a minor loss. There are really only a handful of games not on PSN, and the "All PSP Games are also on PSN" monicker would be quite the useable phrase.

Of course, from my reading about MST3K, some content holders can be dickheads, and ask for outrageous fees or just refuse to give rights at all.

You make it sound like publishing games is really cheap.
KingK
Member
(02-26-2012, 03:58 AM)
KingK's Avatar

Originally Posted by kuroshiki

Dude.

Skip everything and get YS seven and thank me later.

That good, huh? I think I'll start with Ys 7 and TitS, then.

Best part about digital distribution is that I don't have to worry about the games becoming really rare and costing a shitton of money to buy.

Thread Tools