• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Fersis
It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
(03-01-2012, 01:55 AM)
Fersis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

I've watched countless stream over the last 2 years, there's very little diversity.

Young males, incredibly immature, starved for attention they'll say absolutely anything tryhard, find quite a bit of humor homophobia and misogyny, and so on. The only real diversity is in terms of race, everything else is incredibly uniform. This profile makes up the vast majority of the community, and anybody who does watch streams knows this. Why do people pretend otherwise just because there's a handful of women and a handful of professional guys like ultradavid, they make up a minuscule portion of the community.

Oh i get it now, your klan analogy had nothing to do with race. Cool beans.
Ogrekiller
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Row

The FGC is about as diverse as a klan meeting, which is probably why such horrible traits are so prevalent within it, lack of exposure

This is the kind of smear campaign that makes the fgc so resistant to outside intervention.

Posts like this:

Originally Posted by Row

this has really shown that by and large the fgc has the lowest average iq of any other gaming community, it's just amazing how consistently stupid everybody seems to be

Originally Posted by Boken

Never been into the fighting game scene but I guess it's just a bunch of nerds who obnoxiously throw around insults and slurs to make themselves feel badass?

Rofl, now I know why the fighting game scene sucks.

Originally Posted by Dylan

The degree of tolerance that GAF has displayed towards the sexually insolent dwarf is inexcusable. Where are the photoshops?

Originally Posted by Neato_Jinkins

removing mic privileges from the guy proven to be incapable of handling them with respect and sanity = incarceration.

you fucking cretin

make me wonder if outside intervention from the non fgc would amount any positive change within the community.
Riposte
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:55 AM)
Riposte's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

I've watched countless stream over the last 2 years, there's very little diversity.

Young males, incredibly immature, starved for attention they'll say absolutely anything tryhard, find quite a bit of humor homophobia and misogyny, and so on. The only real diversity is in terms of race, everything else is incredibly uniform. This profile makes up the vast majority of the community, and anybody who does watch streams knows this. Why do people pretend otherwise just because there's a handful of women and a handful of professional guys like ultradavid, they make up a minuscule portion of the community.

Jesus christ!

What the helllll are youuuuuu tallkkkkking about?

Don't you realize how far your reaching with this generalization?

I'm speechless!

EDIT: Ultradavid is not some oasis in a desert of women-haters. My god.
Row
Banned
(03-01-2012, 01:55 AM)

Originally Posted by udivision

I'm not really all to surprised by Row's comments. Too many people see "sexism, racism, and bigotry," and assume the perps are "white males."

I was comparing FGC to a klan meeting due to both having no diversity in general (fgc = only dumb young males, kkk = only whites), not because I think the fgc is all whites.

It's pretty obvious what I meant, but I imagine people are being willfully ignorant because that's all they can grasp at.
TruePrime
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:56 AM)
TruePrime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

I've watched countless stream over the last 2 years, there's very little diversity.

Young males, incredibly immature, starved for attention they'll say absolutely anything tryhard, find quite a bit of humor homophobia and misogyny, and so on. The only real diversity is in terms of race, everything else is incredibly uniform. This profile makes up the vast majority of the community, and anybody who does watch streams knows this. Why do people pretend otherwise just because there's a handful of women and a handful of professional guys like ultradavid, they make up a minuscule portion of the community.

There are a lot of ass holes but there are way more legit and kind people who bithrday are welcoming to women and other outsiders as well.

Even though they maybe fewer in number we still have many people we can hold up as Stand outs so even this is bullshit and certainly doesn't hold the other comment.
d0c_zaius
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:56 AM)
d0c_zaius's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

I've watched countless stream over the last 2 years, there's very little diversity.

Young males, incredibly immature, starved for attention they'll say absolutely anything tryhard, find quite a bit of humor homophobia and misogyny, and so on. The only real diversity is in terms of race, everything else is incredibly uniform. This profile makes up the vast majority of the community, and anybody who does watch streams knows this. Why do people pretend otherwise just because there's a handful of women and a handful of professional guys like ultradavid, they make up a minuscule portion of the community.

wtf. so a klan meeting has diverse races but is only filled with men? I'd love to know what "countless stream" you watched, but its too late for that. Yes I got your point, once I waded through all the nonsense. Interesting though, that flaming an entire community with a out of line comparison is topic worthy.

And here I thought we were all a Cross Assault family. Guess I was wrong about you. You dont need to reply btw its on ignore.
Last edited by d0c_zaius; 03-01-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Threi
notag
(03-01-2012, 01:57 AM)
Threi's Avatar

Originally Posted by PsychoSoldier

Do you not remember how hated Noel was for a long time amongst the peanut gallery?

He was hated for just in general being a dick (Noel "3/5" Brown) for example.

Originally Posted by PsychoSoldier

If Noel Brown did anything even close to what Aris did he'd probably get even more heat for it than Aris has.

He assaulted a person, while that said person had a broken leg.

I think that is a pretty serious offense.

Originally Posted by PsychoSoldier

In addition, getting punched by a dude you were talking shit to is way different than for no reason other than being female getting harassed by someone with authority over you then having to spend hours upon hours for days with your (apologetic) harasser immediately afterwards only for them to seemingly justify their behavior on stream.

I don't know. Maybe my perspective is different because I've had friends who have been sexually harassed but just because a punch was thrown it doesn't automatically make it worse than sexual harassment.

It doesn't matter though, does it? It is malicious intent towards another human. One being verbally, one being physically.

And yes my perspective is different. I have been around strong women who do not take abuse from anyone of any gender. I see abuse as abuse, it does not matter if it's towards a man or woman. I will not pretend one is worse than the other for superficial reasons.
Last edited by Threi; 03-01-2012 at 02:08 AM.
freenudemacusers
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:57 AM)
freenudemacusers's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

I was comparing FGC to a klan meeting due to both having no diversity in general (fgc = only dumb young males, kkk = only whites), not because I think the fgc is all whites.

It's pretty obvious what I meant, but I imagine people are being willfully ignorant because that's all they can grasp at.

people understood what you meant, it's just a really dumb comparison.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(03-01-2012, 01:59 AM)
EviLore's Avatar
Sigh, nice derail with the Klan crap. Let's move on.
Doomshine
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:59 AM)
Doomshine's Avatar

Originally Posted by d0c_zaius

wtf. so a klan meeting has diverse races but is only filled with men?

And here I thought we were all a Cross Assault family. Guess I was wrong about you.

The name Cross Assault makes so much more sense now.
hteng
Banned
(03-01-2012, 01:59 AM)
hteng's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ogrekiller

This is the kind of smear campaign that makes the fgc so resistant to outside intervention.

Posts like this:









make me wonder if outside intervention from the non fgc would amount any positive change within the community.

i'm more incline to believe those are people jumping on the hate bandwagon, it'll do little to change the community, it has to come from within.
AZ Greg
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:59 AM)
AZ Greg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

I was comparing FGC to a klan meeting due to both having no diversity in general (fgc = only dumb young males, kkk = only whites), not because I think the fgc is all whites.

It's pretty obvious what I meant, but I imagine people are being willfully ignorant because that's all they can grasp at.

This post should be printed and submitted to EviLore as the prime piece of evidence for bringing back ":lol"
PsychoSoldier
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:59 AM)
PsychoSoldier's Avatar
Holy Lord, Row. Why, just, why?
Stabby McSter
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:00 AM)
Stabby McSter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

I was comparing FGC to a klan meeting due to both having no diversity in general (fgc = only dumb young males, kkk = only whites), not because I think the fgc is all whites.

It's pretty obvious what I meant, but I imagine people are being willfully ignorant because that's all they can grasp at.

oh cool now we're uneducated too
udivision
(03-01-2012, 02:01 AM)
udivision's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

I was comparing FGC to a klan meeting due to both having no diversity in general (fgc = only dumb young males, kkk = only whites), not because I think the fgc is all whites.

It's pretty obvious what I meant, but I imagine people are being willfully ignorant because that's all they can grasp at.

"GAF is about as diverse as a klan meeting. Oh sure, bunch of different ages, sexual orientations, religions, races and the like, but they're all game-loving nerds who spend their time discussing said games."

I'm sorry for not getting what you meant, but that's a pretty stupid anolgy to make.
EDIT: And that's the last I'll say about that *watches EviLore nervously*
notworksafe
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:02 AM)
notworksafe's Avatar

Originally Posted by EviLore

Sigh, nice derail with the Klan crap. Let's move on.

I feel harassed. Can we ban him from commenting on fighting game tourney threads?
whalleywhat
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:02 AM)
whalleywhat's Avatar
Just replace "Klan" with "He-Man Woman Haters Club". :D Or maybe "No Ma'am". Also lol at everyone taking offense. Buck up, it's just a little smack talk.
Riposte
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:03 AM)
Riposte's Avatar
EDIT: Made this post after I saw Evillore did. w/e
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(03-01-2012, 02:03 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by udivision

Uh... racism isn't just "what you say." It can be the motivation on how you treat people. And, beleive you me, how you treat someone can surely "ruin their day," or make them uncomfortable or offended.

And how would you do this to a white person due to their whiteness? I could certainly attack a white person on the basis of their gender, group identification, physical or mental ailments or if they werent straight. But I fail to see how whiteness specifically can ever be used to harm a person consider is amazing benefits it gives (to the point where its invisible).
obonicus
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:03 AM)

Originally Posted by notworksafe

I feel harassed. Can we ban him from commenting on fighting game tourney threads?

Making light of harassment, even as a joke is not the best way to counter someone who made a stupid statement.
PsychoSoldier
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:04 AM)
PsychoSoldier's Avatar

Originally Posted by hteng

i'm more incline to believe those are people jumping on the hate bandwagon, it'll do little to change the community, it has to come from within.

I'm not sure that the FGC as a whole has shown that they have the ability to police themselves well.

As someone who's a layer outside the tournament scene I personally don't feel like there's much I can do to help change things except argue on the internet about it. :(
freenudemacusers
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:04 AM)
freenudemacusers's Avatar

Originally Posted by whalleywhat

Just replace "Klan" with "He-Man Woman Haters Club". :D Or maybe "No Ma'am". Also lol at everyone taking offense. Buck up, it's just a little smack talk.

it's nice to have actual conversations from time to time
soakrates
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:05 AM)
soakrates's Avatar

Originally Posted by TruePrime

Top players on the streams.

Wong - Asain
Ricky - white
Die - Black
Yipes - Dominican

Yeah, totally a bunch of black and Jew hating whities.

Ricky is not white.
whalleywhat
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:06 AM)
whalleywhat's Avatar

Originally Posted by macuser1of5

it's nice to have actual conversations from time to time

Try having a conversation while I repeatedly scream sexual abuse in your face.
TruePrime
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:06 AM)
TruePrime's Avatar

Originally Posted by obonicus

Making light of harassment, even as a joke is not the best way to counter someone who made a stupid statement.

For some people being called the equal of a KKK meeting would be pretty fucking offensive.

Granted I doubt he/she cares but in the grand scheme of things that comment couldnvery well be dangerous as hell to make.
Stabby McSter
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:06 AM)
Stabby McSter's Avatar

Originally Posted by soakrates

Ricky is not white.

RICKY IS A CUTIE IS WHAT HE IS

he's hispanic isn't he
Riposte
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:07 AM)
Riposte's Avatar

Originally Posted by whalleywhat

Try having a conversation while I repeatedly scream sexual abuse in your face.

Is this a strawman or something? I don't understand what you are saying.
freenudemacusers
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:08 AM)
freenudemacusers's Avatar

Originally Posted by whalleywhat

Try having a conversation while I repeatedly scream sexual abuse in your face.

well you're certainly producing a wall of static so I guess I have a rough idea of what that is like.
TruePrime
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:08 AM)
TruePrime's Avatar

Originally Posted by soakrates

Ricky is not white.

Haha light skinned then.


Then again givren Die is on my list that could be filled by pretty much since Die almost can't be seen the moment you dim the lights.

I need me some Die Guile right about now.
Anth0ny
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:09 AM)
Anth0ny's Avatar
edit: moving on

I pretty much agree with the dudes on live on three. The FGC can keep all the shit talk and their roots going... just not on a stream in front on thousands of people. There needs to be professionalism in front of the audience.

I'm sure there's a BUNCH of shit talk in every NBA locker room, but it's not going to come out during a halftime or post game interview.
Last edited by Anth0ny; 03-01-2012 at 02:11 AM.
obonicus
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by TruePrime

For some people being called the equal of a KKK meeting would be pretty fucking offensive.

Sure, but even Row didn't do that. He was talking about diversity, not the actual composition. It was a bad analogy, certainly.

So what we have is notworksafe making a snarky comment making light of what is a real problem, especially in the context of this thread. Especially when we have had multiple people in this thread question whether sexual harassment happened at all, even with the video evidence we have.
whalleywhat
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:11 AM)
whalleywhat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Riposte

Is this a strawman or something? I don't understand what you are saying.

I'm just amazed that people can defend this reprobate at one moment and then be wounded by harsh words about their community at another. And I know it's not necessarily the same people, but the "Let's have a reasonable discussion here." complaints are pretty amusing given the context.
udivision
(03-01-2012, 02:11 AM)
udivision's Avatar

Originally Posted by HK-47

And how would you do this to a white person due to their whiteness? I could certainly attack a white person on the basis of their gender, group identification, physical or mental ailments or if they werent straight. But I fail to see how whiteness specifically can ever be used to harm a person consider is amazing benefits it gives (to the point where its invisible).

I think the most obvious way is making the person, whether one girl in a group of guys or one white person in a group of black people, is too let that person know that someone like them "doesn't belong." Point out the differences, treat them badly, and let them know that, of all the reasons they could be mean/ treating you this way it's because your gender or race or whatever. In a situation like that, doesn't matter what you "are," but you're sure not going to feel happy about that aspect that they're making fun of you about.
TruePrime
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:12 AM)
TruePrime's Avatar

Originally Posted by obonicus

Sure, but even Row didn't do that. He was talking about diversity, not the actual composition. It was a bad analogy, certainly.

So what we have is notworksafe making a snarky comment making light of what is a real problem, especially in the context of this thread. Especially when we have had multiple people in this thread question whether sexual harassment happened at all, even with the video evidence we have.

Intent as mentioned by both sides doesn't matter remember.

The comment wasn't as bad as what Aris did surely, doesn't change the fact the way he threw it out could have offended someone to a great degree.
freenudemacusers
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:12 AM)
freenudemacusers's Avatar

Originally Posted by whalleywhat

I'm just amazed that people can defend this reprobate at one moment and then be wounded by harsh words about their community at another. And I know it's not necessarily the same people, but the "Let's have a reasonable discussion here." complaints are pretty amusing given the context.

my request is not unreasonable, and you're doing absolutely nothing of value in this thread. so thanks?
obonicus
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:13 AM)

Originally Posted by whalleywhat

I'm just amazed that people can defend this reprobate at one moment and then be wounded by harsh words about their community at another. And I know it's not necessarily the same people, but the "Let's have a reasonable discussion here." complaints are pretty amusing given the context.

Dude, do you think you're advancing the conversation here? All you're doing is derailing, and giving people who think that this is no big deal a rally point.
Fersis
It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
(03-01-2012, 02:14 AM)
Fersis's Avatar

Originally Posted by whalleywhat

I'm just amazed that people can defend this reprobate at one moment and then be wounded by harsh words about their community at another. And I know it's not necessarily the same people, but the "Let's have a reasonable discussion here." complaints are pretty amusing given the context.

Context maybe?

Some folks want harsh/raw trash talk during a competitive event but not so much when talking about a serious subject.
Competitive event != GAF Sexual harassment thread

Going the 'Aris said dumb stuff so you guys cant respond!!' route leads you nowhere.
Hitokage
Setec Astronomer
(03-01-2012, 02:14 AM)
Hitokage's Avatar

Originally Posted by obonicus

Making light of harassment, even as a joke is not the best way to counter someone who made a stupid statement.

It's ok, he didn't want people to like his posts anyway.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(03-01-2012, 02:15 AM)
HK-47's Avatar

Originally Posted by udivision

I think the most obvious way is making the person, whether one girl in a group of guys or one white person in a group of black people, is too let that person know that someone like them "doesn't belong." Point out the differences, treat them badly, and let them know that, of all the reasons they could be mean/ treating you this way it's because your gender or race or whatever. In a situation like that, doesn't matter what you "are," but you're sure not going to feel happy about that aspect that they're making fun of you about.

When does this happen?
Imm0rt4l
my titty out of milk
(03-01-2012, 02:16 AM)
Imm0rt4l's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stabby McSter

RICKY IS A CUTIE IS WHAT HE IS

he's hispanic isn't he

I thought he was, but apparently he's at least part Asian.
obonicus
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:16 AM)

Originally Posted by TruePrime

Intent as mentioned by both sides doesn't matter remember.

It's not intent, it's basic language skills. I don't want to quote his dumbass comment, but what you're reading it as? He didn't say that. There's no reasonable reading you could have that would have him saying that. Not unless you add words, subtract words and rearrange words would you have him comparing the things you say he's comparing. The comment was explicitly about diversity.

The comment wasn't as bad as what Aris did surely, doesn't change the fact the way he threw it out could have offended someone to a great degree.

This is really disingenuous. It was a stupid comment, and notworksafe didn't say he was offended by it, he said he was harassed. Which is a really problematic statement given the contents of this thread.
Row
Banned
(03-01-2012, 02:16 AM)
People in the FGC who don't stand to profit from it becoming more popular and gaining legitimacy are indifferent, which is why this questional behavior isn't seen as an issue...most just don't care all that much and enjoy the entertainment value such lowbrow actions brings.

It's the people in the community who do stand to profit not being more active in trying to better thing which is strange. When you watch a stream for example and have commentators bending to viewers whims, requests, and repeating some of the more embarrassing comments you really wonder how so many can have such a lack of foresight.
Riposte
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:19 AM)
Riposte's Avatar

Originally Posted by obonicus

Sure, but even Row didn't do that. He was talking about diversity, not the actual composition. It was a bad analogy, certainly.

So what we have is notworksafe making a snarky comment making light of what is a real problem, especially in the context of this thread. Especially when we have had multiple people in this thread question whether sexual harassment happened at all, even with the video evidence we have.

Let's just ignore the KKK analogy, I think he's wrong before considering that. The fact the FGC is global and the US FGC is coast to coast says more about diversity than just the difference you can find in the color of many player's skin (or even their sexuality, their age, and so on). There are many walks of life in the FGC. Uniform? No way. I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a second. I don't buy that the community is how he describes it also. He's being extremely selective (when he isn't just tossing out insults you can find anywhere like "tryhard").

EDIT: That said, I have to commend the cockiness of posting something like that and managing to come out unscathed.
Last edited by Riposte; 03-01-2012 at 02:23 AM.
TruePrime
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:20 AM)
TruePrime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

People in the FGC who don't stand to profit from it becoming more popular and gaining legitimacy are indifferent, which is why this questional behavior isn't seen as an issue...most just don't care all that much and enjoy the entertainment value such lowbrow actions brings.

It's the people in the community who do stand to profit not being more active in trying to better thing which is strange. When you watch a stream for example and have commentators bending to viewers whims, requests, and repeating some of the more embarrassing comments you really wonder how so many can have such a lack of foresight.

Except this post is bullshit.

Big or small almost everyone in the community be they popular or not have spoke out on it being wrong and that we do indeed have a problem facing us.

Not requesting Aris to be lynched is mucH different then viewing it as a none issue.
Last edited by TruePrime; 03-01-2012 at 02:24 AM.
udivision
(03-01-2012, 02:22 AM)
udivision's Avatar

Originally Posted by HK-47

When does this happen?

I'm assuming you mean race, or else the example of the FGC would be the first thing to come to mind.

Not every school, neighborhood, city has the same racial breakdown. There are schools with predominately one race that isn't white. I know someone who when to higschool with the only non-hispanic students being 2 vietnamese kids. There are innercity schools with higher populations of black students too. Outside of schools, there are communities that aren't racial diverse either. Instances like the one I mentioned are likely to happen then.
Row
Banned
(03-01-2012, 02:23 AM)

Originally Posted by TruePrime

Exct this post is bullshit.

Big or small almost everyone in the community be they popular or not have spoke out on it being wrong and that we do indeed have a problem facing us.

Not requesting Aris to be lynched is mucH different then viewing it as a none issue.

Some weak resistance to this behaviour after the fact doesn't amount to much. Will anything change when this blows over or will it just get shelved as another fgc meme?
Firemind
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:23 AM)
Firemind's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ogrekiller

make me wonder if outside intervention from the non fgc would amount any positive change within the community.

Are you serious or are you just xenophobic?

We're not villains who are out to make your community look bad and nor are we trying to intervene anything. We're not in a position of power to do so. And neither are you. However, together we can create awareness of the issues to the figures who organize, sponsor and broadcast the events you so love. That is what the various media outlets have been doing. To inform a broader group of people of these issues that are not just prevalent in your community but in the whole gaming community as well. United we stand, divided we fall.
obonicus
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Riposte

Let's just ignore the KKK analogy, I think he's wrong before considering that. The fact the FGC is global and the US FGC is coast to coast says more about diversity than just the difference you can find in the color of many player's skin (or even their sexuality, their age, and so on). There are many walks of life in the FGC. Uniform? No way. I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a second. I don't buy that the community is how he describes it also. He's being extremely selective (when he isn't just tossing out insults you can find anywhere like "tryhard").

Actually, I agree with you. He wanted to make a statement about diversity, and racial diversity is not the FGC's problem. That it's a boy's club is (and this is a problem that is shares with most games, though I don't know if to the same degree). If he had made a statement that "FGC is like a boy's club", the thread probably wouldn't have come to a screeching halt, but it's not something people haven't said earlier in this thread, so no one would have cared.
PrinceOfApathy
Banned
(03-01-2012, 02:25 AM)
Of course Aris should be lynched. Look as I said, I'm all for crass humor, absolute trash talking, no holds barred. Fully explicit.

However you can't go around smelling women man, focusing the camera on certain body parts, and telling this female to do what you ask; that is crazy creepy.

This guy should be in a holding cell.
Conceited
mechaniphiliac
(03-01-2012, 02:26 AM)
Conceited's Avatar

Originally Posted by Row

The FGC is about as diverse as a klan meeting, which is probably
why such horrible traits are so prevalent within it, lack of exposure

Originally Posted by Row

this has really shown that by and large the fgc has the lowest average iq of any other gaming community, it's just amazing how consistently stupid everybody seems to be

How is this acceptable?

Thread Tools