• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

verbum
Member
(02-29-2012, 09:56 AM)
verbum's Avatar
Using Win8 on a virtual drive. A nice set of instructions on downloading and installing Win8 on a virtual drive so you don't mess up your previous Windows installation. In the instructions, he suggests 60GB.
From the Supersite:

f you want to experiment with Windows 8 without having to sacrifice a physical system, you can boot Windows 8 from a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) in Windows 7. Although you could use Hyper-V, I believe it's better to use real hardware to see how Windows 8 interacts with drivers.

Beginning with Windows 7, you can now mount VHDs exactly like a physical disk. By mounting a VHD, you can easily copy files to and from the virtual disk

Creating a virtual drive:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ee872416.aspx

Installing Win8:
http://www.winsupersite.com/content1...ndows-7-141708

In case anyone needs it, to run disk management:

To run Command Prompt as an administrator
Click the Start button .

In the search box, type "command prompt".

In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Open the Disk Management console by typing diskmgmt.msc at an elevated command prompt.
Last edited by verbum; 02-29-2012 at 10:13 AM.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(02-29-2012, 10:00 AM)
brotkasten's Avatar

Originally Posted by Copernicus

Any chance M$ is sending out an update for dev preview -> consumer preview for an in place in stall?

M$? Really Coco? And I thought you're better than that. How the mighty have fallen.
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(02-29-2012, 10:16 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar
Didn't everyone and their dog call it 'M$' a few years ago? I don't think it implies anything really, and it's not offensive.... It's slang like "squeenix" or "iTouch".

Actually it implies a kind of outdated 90s view of Microsoft: they are not the evil empire anymore. Too many other technology mega corps. The likes of Google and Apple are just as worthy of a $ in their name... But alas.. No 's'... ;P
Last edited by BocoDragon; 02-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.
verbum
Member
(02-29-2012, 10:25 AM)
verbum's Avatar

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

Didn't everyone and their dog call it 'M$' a few years ago? I don't think it implies anything really, and it's not offensive.... It's slang like "squeenix" or "iTouch".

Actually it implies a kind of outdated 90s view of Microsoft: they are not the evil empire anymore. Too many other technology mega corps. The likes of Google and Apple are just as worthy of a $ in their name... But alas.. No 's'... ;P

Back in the day when we thought Linux could at least get 10% of the desktop market, M$ was common. Then along came XP and Apple rose from the ashes, so Linux was doomed to exist under 5%.
Unknown Soldier
Member
(02-29-2012, 10:35 AM)
Unknown Soldier's Avatar

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

Didn't everyone and their dog call it 'M$' a few years ago? I don't think it implies anything really, and it's not offensive.... It's slang like "squeenix" or "iTouch".

Actually it implies a kind of outdated 90s view of Microsoft: they are not the evil empire anymore. Too many other technology mega corps. The likes of Google and Apple are just as worthy of a $ in their name... But alas.. No 's'... ;P

The government sanctions that were imposed on MS after the antitrust trial have mostly expired in the US and are set to expire in the EU. They could one day become the evil empire again, except for the fact that Bill Gates has left and the spirit of the company has left with him. Ballmer is such a pale shadow of Gates that it's unlikely even if all sanctions vanished tomorrow, MS would suddenly become a vigorous competitor again. Google and Apple were basically able to rise to the position they are in today because of the shackles that the US and EU placed on MS after the antitrust trial. So it's important to realize who MS WAS, so that history cannot be allowed to repeat itself.

On an unrelated subject, the cult mentality of some of the Windows Phone 7 people in this forum is a bit disturbing, the way Monumental reacted to my post with personal insults borders on fanaticism.
Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 02-29-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Burai
shitonmychest57
(02-29-2012, 10:37 AM)
Burai's Avatar

Originally Posted by brotkasten

M$? Really Coco? And I thought you're better than that. How the mighty have fallen.

$eriou$ Bu$ine$$
Monumental
Banned
(02-29-2012, 10:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier

The government sanctions that were imposed on MS after the antitrust trial have mostly expired in the US and are set to expire in the EU. They could one day become the evil empire again, except for the fact that Bill Gates has left and the spirit of the company has left with him. Ballmer is such a pale shadow of Gates that it's unlikely even if all sanctions vanished tomorrow, MS would suddenly become a vigorous competitor again. Google and Apple were basically able to rise to the position they are in today because of the shackles that the US and EU placed on MS after the antitrust trial. So it's important to realize who MS WAS, so that history cannot be allowed to repeat itself.

On an unrelated subject, the cult mentality of some of the Windows Phone 7 people in this forum is a bit disturbing, the way Monumental reacted to my post with personal insults borders on fanaticism.

First you accuse me of working for Microsoft. Then you accuse me of having a "cult mentality". For what? For suggesting that using the dollar sign is an immature thing to do and is an immediate signal of fanboyism.

Explain to me what part of my previous post was "cult mentality" to you? What part of this was a personal insult? And the irony is that this is AFTER you accused me of working for Microsoft.

If you have personal issues with a product then voice those concerns, but at least on GAF we're above the sheer grade-school idiocy of using dollar signs in company names to convey our discontent.

You seem like the type that would use that unsubtle trolling tactic, and I advise you not to. No one will take you seriously and you'll look foolish anyway.

The creepy thing is you coming in here and giving us a history lesson on the "evils" of Microsoft and we should be warned so "history is not allowed to repeat itself". You sound more like a trolling fear-mongerer than anything else.
I also find it amusing that you bring up "cult Windows Phone 7 fanboys" considering a two minute post history check shows that you're a resident Android fanboy who has made no attempts to hide his disdain for WP7.
Last edited by Monumental; 02-29-2012 at 10:57 AM.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(02-29-2012, 10:55 AM)
brotkasten's Avatar

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier

On an unrelated subject, the cult mentality of some of the Windows Phone 7 people in this forum is a bit disturbing, the way Monumental reacted to my post with personal insults borders on fanaticism.

You are really something. Maybe people would be more friendly, if you wouldn't act like the annoying prick you are. You constantly come into the WP7 thread, without contributing anything, shitting it up while you ride Schmidt's cock and you've shown multiple times that you are not interested in any meaningful discussion.

Yes, geez, I really wonder why people act like assholes when they respond to your posts.
Mr Nightman
Member
(02-29-2012, 10:56 AM)
Mr Nightman's Avatar
my junk laptop is ready to have a go, lol its always been my test bed versus my main 7 pro 64 bit rig. Definitely excited to get a go :D
bigtroyjon
Member
(02-29-2012, 10:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Monumental

The creepy thing is you coming in here and giving us a history lesson on the "evils" of Microsoft and we should be warned so "history is not allowed to repeat itself". You sound more like a trolling fear-mongerer than anything else.
I also find it amusing that you bring up "cult Windows Phone 7 fanboys" considering a two minute post history check shows that you're a resident Android fanboy who has made no attempts to hide his disdain for WP7.

Just ignore him, the kid just likes to rile up the Microsoft threads in order to gain some kind of kudos from copernisuck due to the bizarre relationship they seem to have with each other. I think it's like George and Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

If you can't ignore him, then at least stop quoting him so the rest of us don't have to read the posts. thanks.
Monumental
Banned
(02-29-2012, 10:59 AM)
brotkasten you might want to edit your post a bit. I know this douchebag has some nerve but its not worth risking a ban right before the Consumer Preview release.

Originally Posted by bigtroyjon

Just ignore him, the kid just likes to rile up the Microsoft threads in order to gain some kind of kudos from copernisuck due to the bizarre relationship they seem to have with each other. I think it's like George and Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

If you can't ignore him, then at least stop quoting him so the rest of us don't have to read the posts. thanks.

Good to know. Will make use of my ignore list for the first time.
Diprosalic
Member
(02-29-2012, 10:59 AM)
Diprosalic's Avatar
just one question, can i install this on a mac? probably not because of driver support i would think.

edit: just saw that it works but not on a air, oh well.
Last edited by Diprosalic; 02-29-2012 at 11:02 AM.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(02-29-2012, 11:00 AM)
brotkasten's Avatar

Originally Posted by Diprosalic

just one question, can i install this on a mac? probably not because of driver support i would think.

If your Mac can run Windows 7, it should be able to run Windows 8 as well.
ShaoranWright
Member
(02-29-2012, 11:21 AM)
ShaoranWright's Avatar
my absolutely shitty tablet (acer iconia w500) is ready to have a new main OS today :D
operon
Member
(02-29-2012, 11:39 AM)
operon's Avatar
creating a 52 gig virtual hard drive on win7 for this
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(02-29-2012, 11:41 AM)
brotkasten's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShaoranWright

my absolutely shitty tablet (acer iconia w500) is ready to have a new main OS today :D

What's so shitty about it? I was thinking about getting one of those crappy Wintel tablets for Windows 8.
Rur0ni
Member
(02-29-2012, 11:42 AM)
Rur0ni's Avatar
2.5 hours woo. Hoping I can grab it fast enough.
Mr. Sandman
Member
(02-29-2012, 11:42 AM)
Mr. Sandman's Avatar
My biggest question is, will the preview include Windows Media Center?
Nero3000
Member
(02-29-2012, 11:54 AM)
Nero3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by verbum

Using Win8 on a virtual drive. A nice set of instructions on downloading and installing Win8 on a virtual drive so you don't mess up your previous Windows installation. In the instructions, he suggests 60GB.
From the Supersite:




Creating a virtual drive:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ee872416.aspx

Installing Win8:
http://www.winsupersite.com/content1...ndows-7-141708

In case anyone needs it, to run disk management:

To run Command Prompt as an administrator
Click the Start button .

In the search box, type "command prompt".

In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Open the Disk Management console by typing diskmgmt.msc at an elevated command prompt.

Thanks for this. I will be doing it this way on my laptop.
My Sedatives
Banned
(02-29-2012, 11:57 AM)
By Schuey F1

Just partitioned my drive in preparation for tomorrow. For those of you who haven't partitioned a drive before in Win 7, here is a nice step by step website.

http://www.windows7news.com/2009/09/...-in-windows-7/

Here is a good post from the old W8 thread to help you guys set up a partition in Windows 7 or Vista without doing a clean install.
The Friendly Monster
Member
(02-29-2012, 11:58 AM)
The Friendly Monster's Avatar
Will I be able to install this without a physical disc drive?
Nero3000
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:00 PM)
Nero3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Friendly Monster

Will I be able to install this without a physical disc drive?

Yes. Download the ISO, then create a bootable USB drive from it.

There is a microsoft produced application that can do this...i don't know off the top of my head the name, but google will help you out.

EDIT: Nice guide: http://arstechnica.com/business/news...lash-drive.ars
Mr. Sandman
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:00 PM)
Mr. Sandman's Avatar
How big of a partition will I need for Windows 8?
The Friendly Monster
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:01 PM)
The Friendly Monster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nero3000

Yes. Download the ISO, then create a bootable USB drive from it.

There is a microsoft produced application that can do this...i don't know off the top of my head the name, but google will help you out.

EDIT: Nice guide: http://arstechnica.com/business/news...lash-drive.ars

Excellent, thanks.
Fjolle
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:03 PM)
Fjolle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nero3000

Yes. Download the ISO, then create a bootable USB drive from it.

There is a microsoft produced application that can do this...i don't know off the top of my head the name, but google will help you out.

EDIT: Nice guide: http://arstechnica.com/business/news...lash-drive.ars

Actually i think that the installer asks you if you want to do it on a dvd or usb disk.
Nero3000
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:06 PM)
Nero3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by djsandman

How big of a partition will I need for Windows 8?

EDIT: 20GB min. 60GB recommended.

But i think the VHD tutorial provides a lot more flexibility.
Last edited by Nero3000; 02-29-2012 at 12:14 PM.
ShaoranWright
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:06 PM)
ShaoranWright's Avatar

Originally Posted by brotkasten

What's so shitty about it? I was thinking about getting one of those crappy Wintel tablets for Windows 8.

Having just 2gb of ram makes the tablet very, VERY limited when you're using several applications, specially with applications like chrome or firefox which love the devour any ram available and with just 1ghz processor it's just too slow to use on a daily basis for me, even though i can play 1080p 8 bit movies (mpc-hc + lav codecs with hardware acceleration) it's still not enough to recommend it to anyone right now.... hell, even openoffice takes a lot of time to open up. BUT, having said all that i'm using this tablet with the developer preview and internet explorer runs great (very fast) and that's why i'm looking forward to the consumer preview because, if IE it's any indicative of the performance of the rest of microsoft apps like mail, office, etc, then i would definitely change my mind about recommending a tablet like mine for a basic use.
MrHicks
Banned
(02-29-2012, 12:12 PM)
MrHicks's Avatar
60GB needed for win8 install?
whaaaaat

thats insane
Nero3000
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:13 PM)
Nero3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrHicks

60GB needed for win8 install?
whaaaaat

thats insane

woops sorry. The absolute minimum is 20GB. the recommended in 60GB.
D4Danger
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:14 PM)
D4Danger's Avatar
did that secret thing dLMN8R hinted at ever get shown/confirmed?
MrHicks
Banned
(02-29-2012, 12:14 PM)
MrHicks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nero3000

woops sorry. The absolute minimum is 20GB. the recommended in 60GB.

ah lol
Rur0ni
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:18 PM)
Rur0ni's Avatar

Originally Posted by D4Danger

did that secret thing dLMN8R hinted at ever get shown/confirmed?

Don't think so. Guess we'll see in a few hours.
Nero3000
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:23 PM)
Nero3000's Avatar

Tom Warren ‏ @tomwarren
If you are in Barcelona for MWC and have a Samsung Series 7 slate with you - message me back right now please

Tom Warren ‏ @tomwarren
I have one thing to say right now, FUCKING HELL.

I think it is safe to say that the press have a copy.
jts
...hate me...
(02-29-2012, 12:24 PM)
jts's Avatar
I shall install this on me Mac and on me olde win tablet.

Any idea of when will this expire?
verbum
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:28 PM)
verbum's Avatar
Windows App Store will be initialized at the preview launch with some free apps.
Garrett 2U
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:29 PM)
Garrett 2U's Avatar
This is going to be very interesting...
mugurumakensei
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:33 PM)
mugurumakensei's Avatar

Originally Posted by BoboBrazil

What are the benefits over 7 if you don't want the new interface?

It's better in performance due to a lot of the heavier crap cut out. I think it even devotes more resources to games during exclusive mode so there's that as well.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(02-29-2012, 12:42 PM)
Vanillalite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nero3000

woops sorry. The absolute minimum is 20GB. the recommended in 60GB.

Still wtf is it installing? I hope I don't get a ton of preinstalled crap that I don't want. It would be similar to the bloatware phones come with.
shantyman
WHO DEY!?
(02-29-2012, 12:43 PM)
shantyman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nero3000

Yes. Download the ISO, then create a bootable USB drive from it.

There is a microsoft produced application that can do this...i don't know off the top of my head the name, but google will help you out.

EDIT: Nice guide: http://arstechnica.com/business/news...lash-drive.ars

It's awkwardly named the "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool."
mugurumakensei
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:46 PM)
mugurumakensei's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brettison

Still wtf is it installing? I hope I don't get a ton of preinstalled crap that I don't want. It would be similar to the bloatware phones come with.

By default, Windows 7 and Windows 8 install a lot of extra drivers that are unnecessary. For example, windows 7 and windows 8 install all the touch drivers by default even if you don't use them. You can remove them if you wish. 20 GB was also the recommended for Windows 7 so I don't see how 20 GB comes as a surprise.
shantyman
WHO DEY!?
(02-29-2012, 12:47 PM)
shantyman's Avatar
Seriously, bloatware? We don't have 40 GB drives any more guys.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(02-29-2012, 01:01 PM)
Vanillalite's Avatar

Originally Posted by mugurumakensei

By default, Windows 7 and Windows 8 install a lot of extra drivers that are unnecessary. For example, windows 7 and windows 8 install all the touch drivers by default even if you don't use them. You can remove them if you wish. 20 GB was also the recommended for Windows 7 so I don't see how 20 GB comes as a surprise.

20 gigs isn't a surprise. I'm trying to figure out wtf they could be installing for that 60 gig recommended. I get 20 is the minimum needed.

I just don't get wtf MS would be installing that 60 gigs would be recommended. Shit even if you installed a ton of apps I don't think you'd come close to an extra 40 gigs unless you were installing crazy big apps like Adobe stuff up crazy big games like WoW + Expansions.
close to the edge
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:14 PM)
close to the edge's Avatar

Originally Posted by shantyman

Seriously, bloatware? We don't have 40 GB drives any more guys.

We do have ~120 GB SSDs though. I don't think it's bloatware, but there is something to be said in favor of using less hard drive space for the operating system. I might be wrong, but didn't Mac OS actually reduce the amount of space required for installing with Snow Leopard?
Fatalah
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:17 PM)
Fatalah's Avatar
60gb compensates nicely for crazy hardware drivers a computer may need from Windows Update.
mugurumakensei
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:19 PM)
mugurumakensei's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brettison

20 gigs isn't a surprise. I'm trying to figure out wtf they could be installing for that 60 gig recommended. I get 20 is the minimum needed.

I just don't get wtf MS would be installing that 60 gigs would be recommended. Shit even if you installed a ton of apps I don't think you'd come close to an extra 40 gigs unless you were installing crazy big apps like Adobe stuff up crazy big games like WoW + Expansions.

Updates and performance would be the reason 60 GB is recommended. High hard drive use increases fragmentation for non-solid state drives. For solid state drives, it increases wear on the drive through erase/write cycles. So, you'll typically need at least 2.5-3x the minimum in order to have decent performance.
Woffls
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:20 PM)
Woffls's Avatar
Partition is ready, bandwidth at work isn't :( I'm going to leave it downloading and go home, assuming it takes more than 3 hours.

I would like to see an installation option that is minimal and the user adds what they need from the disc after installation, like drivers and stuff. 128GB SSDs are a problem, and that's what a lot of tablets will be using soon, so MS should put a 'lite' installation option in setup for retail.
shantyman
WHO DEY!?
(02-29-2012, 01:23 PM)
shantyman's Avatar

Originally Posted by djsandman

My biggest question is, will the preview include Windows Media Center?

My guess is the preview will be Ultimate, so yes.
Nero3000
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:26 PM)
Nero3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brettison

20 gigs isn't a surprise. I'm trying to figure out wtf they could be installing for that 60 gig recommended. I get 20 is the minimum needed.

I just don't get wtf MS would be installing that 60 gigs would be recommended. Shit even if you installed a ton of apps I don't think you'd come close to an extra 40 gigs unless you were installing crazy big apps like Adobe stuff up crazy big games like WoW + Expansions.

I have no idea what you are complaining about.

They are not recommended 60GB only for the install. But 60GB as a whole for the system.

Once you install windows you might want to install other things such as Games and Productivity software. Then you'll want to store some files, videos music, pictures.

60GB is the minimum recommended for all of that, but 20 is the absolute windows.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(02-29-2012, 01:28 PM)
Divvy's Avatar
Bought a new SSD just for this. I am ready.
maniac-kun
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:30 PM)
maniac-kun's Avatar
I hope it will run well in Virtualbox :)

Thread Tools