• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

neonglow
Why am I here?
Where are my wings?
(02-29-2012, 08:19 PM)
Purchased with some spare credit I had left over without trying out the game.
Greyvvolf
(03-01-2012, 12:28 AM)
Can someone tell me how the online works? Do you join a lobby then start? This looks like a game me and my friends will enjoy a lot. It would be sweet if we could all join in a lobby then start racing.
toythatkills
(03-01-2012, 12:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Greyvvolf

Can someone tell me how the online works? Do you join a lobby then start? This looks like a game me and my friends will enjoy a lot. It would be sweet if we could all join in a lobby then start racing.

Yep, just have someone host and everyone else can come and go as they please. If the host drops it moves to someone else, if someone joins mid-race they'll just be there for the start of the next one.

It totals up points as you go, like a mini Formula One championship sort of thing, if you can get a bunch of people all starting at the same time though it can get really competitive! If not, they're just a bit of fun.
Greyvvolf
(03-01-2012, 12:34 AM)

Originally Posted by toythatkills

Yep, just have someone host and everyone else can come and go as they please. If the host drops it moves to someone else, if someone joins mid-race they'll just be there for the start of the next one.

It totals up points as you go, like a mini Formula One championship sort of thing, if you can get a bunch of people all starting at the same time though it can get really competitive! If not, they're just a bit of fun.

Thanks!
op_ivy
Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
(03-01-2012, 12:40 AM)
decent little game, fun for a buck to be sure, but man oh man are there some MASSIVE frame-rate drops at the most random of times. also, 3rd race or so in, and it locked up my console :/
toythatkills
(03-01-2012, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by op_ivy

decent little game, fun for a buck to be sure, but man oh man are there some MASSIVE frame-rate drops at the most random of times. also, 3rd race or so in, and it locked up my console :/

That's an issue with lap-time sharing, because its peer-to-peer. When it's sharing lap times, you get a bit of slowdown, and it sometimes happens during races. If it bothers you a lot, you can turn off lap time sharing in the menu and it should fix it totally.

Not sure if it's improved for the coming-soon update, Waaghman will be able to say.
CountAntonius
(03-01-2012, 12:48 AM)
Yeah that's my only beef. The frame drops can be a bit distracting. Hopefully they work it out cause aside from that it is a great little game.
op_ivy
(03-01-2012, 03:02 AM)
ok, 2nd system crash playing this of the night. not cool
WaaghMan
(03-01-2012, 08:43 AM)
Hi guys, sorry for the slowdowns and lockups. We're totally aware of the issue and are doing our best to fix it.

The slowdowns will be gone in the next update for sure, and we've reworked the background task manager from scratch, so maybe the freezes are gone as well. Sadly I can't guarantee that, it's not an error we can reproduce in development.
CountAntonius
(03-01-2012, 08:46 AM)
Thanks for the update. With those two things fixed this game is damn near flawless.
Marcellus Wallace
(03-01-2012, 08:52 AM)
Yep, the game after the update should be sublime.
Ledsen
(03-01-2012, 08:59 AM)
God damn it. I have 65 MS points in my account -_-'
CountAntonius
(03-01-2012, 09:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Ledsen

God damn it. I have 65 MS points in my account -_-'

Bing reward it.
Gowans
(03-01-2012, 09:06 AM)
I can forgive this games frame rate drops its great.

Maybe we should have a I'd but that for a dollet Xbox Indiea thread? Seems like people are willing to try at that price, orbitron just dropped today an you have escape goat etc.
BoobPhysics101
Banned
(03-01-2012, 09:09 AM)
Buying now. I love RC Pro Am style racers.
Ledsen
(03-01-2012, 09:17 AM)

Originally Posted by CountAntonius

Bing reward it.

I'm in Sweden...
robatw
(03-01-2012, 12:19 PM)
Hey Guys,

i just downloaded this game after i saw the indie games of the month thread. i love it.

but is it a bug that it won't show me "attempts" and "wins" on the tracks in "race select"? it says "0" but i started a few tracks and won them. any help would be appreciated.

edit: yeah nevermind - race 1 for example changes the event. so race 1 is sometimes evetn 4 and sometimes event 15. quite confusing. game is awesome nontheless.
Last edited by robatw; 03-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.
op_ivy
(03-01-2012, 02:23 PM)

Originally Posted by robatw

Hey Guys,

i just downloaded this game after i saw the indie games of the month thread. i love it.

but is it a bug that it won't show me "attempts" and "wins" on the tracks in "race select"? it says "0" but i started a few tracks and won them. any help would be appreciated.

edit: yeah nevermind - race 1 for example changes the event. so race 1 is sometimes evetn 4 and sometimes event 15. quite confusing. game is awesome nontheless.

yeah, i'm confused by this too. as long as its a new race for option 1 (attempts and wins = 0) i race it. not sure what thats doing for progression or what the other options 2-5 are for.
robatw
(03-01-2012, 02:46 PM)
i guess they always present you X races you can choose from. it is kinda random but i think there is always at least one even you didn't race already. so stick to them. i won a car for the next class (D) and now i have events for that class too.
flyinpiranha
(03-01-2012, 02:50 PM)
Damn, no local MP is a huge missed opportunity. I would have paid $5 for it.
chris121580
(03-01-2012, 03:12 PM)
This looks awesome. Will be buying when I get home
AC!D
(03-01-2012, 03:30 PM)

Originally Posted by flyinpiranha

Damn, no local MP is a huge missed opportunity. I would have paid $5 for it.

No local multiplayer in a game like this is inexcusable. Unless that game costs $1.

Really great game, best indie game I've bought anyway. I'd probably pay £10 for a version with local Vs play and more varied tracks.
toythatkills
(03-01-2012, 05:37 PM)

Originally Posted by robatw

i guess they always present you X races you can choose from. it is kinda random but i think there is always at least one even you didn't race already. so stick to them. i won a car for the next class (D) and now i have events for that class too.

I think of them as just random events, pretty much. You'll always have a choice of five different events and it doesn't really matter if you repeat one because the game just counts the amount of E-class races you win, etc, for challenges, rather than you needing to do x amount of different ones.

Originally Posted by AC!D

No local multiplayer in a game like this is inexcusable. Unless that game costs $1.

The thing with local MP is how do you do it? You can't really have traditional racing because some of these tracks are huge and you'd have to zoom right back, and you wouldn't be able to see what was happening or you'd have frame rate issues with so much more on screen at that time. Split screen would be really confusing.

The other option (my preferred) is a Micro Machines style game where you win a point for getting far ahead, but even that has issues with things like how fast LRS is in comparison to Micro Machines. It'd be interesting, but I think online multiplayer will always be the best solution for a game like this.
Psychotext
(03-01-2012, 05:39 PM)
Awesome. Bought. :)
frogg609
(03-01-2012, 06:09 PM)
Bought it on xbox.com.

Will try this out tonight if my son gives me a chance. Thanks for the heads up!
Atomski
(03-02-2012, 02:37 AM)
One of the best XBLIG games I have played in a while... specially for a dollar.
A Black Falcon
(03-02-2012, 07:39 AM)
That does look great... I've always liked Micro Machines games.
IdreamofHIME
Banned
(03-02-2012, 07:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Marcellus Wallace

It's a buck people, do it.

If I could buy a single dollar from MS, then I would. But I got to buy like 500pts from them instead. So I tend to wait till there's a bunch of stuff I want before I buy...and in the end I dont buy them at all.

If they let me spend a single dollar at a time, I'd spend so much more money on stuff on marketplace.
CadetMahoney
(03-02-2012, 07:51 AM)

Originally Posted by THE NO LIFE KING

well done sir.
StalkerUKCG
(03-02-2012, 08:37 AM)

A lady of ill repute: 24 seconds

Start your self off and go for this option.

getting the game later today
droppedbear
(03-02-2012, 08:40 AM)
Was going to try this out but unfortunately can't purchase it on the AU marketplace at the moment or even download the demo. Any idea when it will make it into this region?
toythatkills
(03-02-2012, 08:44 AM)

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

If I could buy a single dollar from MS, then I would. But I got to buy like 500pts from them instead. So I tend to wait till there's a bunch of stuff I want before I buy...and in the end I dont buy them at all.

If they let me spend a single dollar at a time, I'd spend so much more money on stuff on marketplace.

Are you in the US? There's that Bing rewards thing everyone's always talking about. If you're in the UK you can buy 400pts at a time from GAME (while they're still here.) It's not much better, but to be honest the game is worth 400pts and it'd be like you get four free games for your money =P

Originally Posted by droppedbear

Was going to try this out but unfortunately can't purchase it on the AU marketplace at the moment or even download the demo. Any idea when it will make it into this region?

Likely never. You can set up a free gamertag for the UK and give it a go, though.
INTERNET
SERIOUS BUSINESS
(03-04-2012, 07:34 AM)
This game rules, great controls and momentum and upgrades, and you can just keep playing and playing and playing.
toythatkills
(03-04-2012, 10:36 AM)
The update for this is out now!

Time Trials
A new camera angle (possibly unplayable, just for funs)
You can use stock cars in MP to race classes you don't own
Some new track layouts, including crosses, which seems like it will be chaos!

Not sure if it fixes the crashes people have been having, but get it downloaded! You'll be prompted for it automatically next time you boot the game.
Gaspode_T
(03-04-2012, 01:10 PM)
Full update notes are http://www.milkstonestudios.com/2012...available-now/

I thought this sounds awesome:

New feature: Multiplayer games will be filled with AI cars if there arenít enough players (Quick race has a default value of 6). With this, races will start even with just 1 player (he can race against AIs while he waits for people to join).

toythatkills
(03-04-2012, 01:12 PM)
I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how it works yet, but I hope it means that it only does that when you're on your own. I'd rather have a 2-player online race with just two players than have the numbers made up with AI cars.
WaaghMan
(03-04-2012, 03:10 PM)
A multiplayer race is filled with AI cars to fit a specified minimum number of players (on Quick race, this number is 6). If you host a custom game, you can set any number between 1 (No AIs) and 12, so you can still play 1 on 1 without AI cars if you want.
JustAnotherOtaku
(03-04-2012, 03:15 PM)
In the mood for a game on 360. This is cheap and looks brilliant. I think I know what I'm doing tonight!
toythatkills
(03-06-2012, 03:54 PM)
Oh man, the chase cam in this is amazing. It's like a totally different game! It's pretty hard to see what's coming up so the first few laps are insane, but once you learn whatever track you're on so you know what's coming, it's wonderful. It swings around a bit and drifting around corners just feels awesome.

It's not a replacement for the top-down camera, but it is really good.

The time trials are wonderful too, it's really easy to see what tracks you've set times on and where in the rankings you are, now.
WaaghMan
(03-13-2012, 03:04 PM)
Hi, we've submitted an update for peer review. It's just a bugfix release, no new features added this time :\.
Crazymoogle
(03-13-2012, 03:14 PM)
(Watches video again)...wow, this really is Racing Gears. Is it using the same drifting mechanic, or is it just analog stick steering only?
mclem
(03-13-2012, 03:18 PM)

Originally Posted by WaaghMan

Hi, we've submitted an update for peer review. It's just a bugfix release, no new features added this time :\.

Ah, I was looking into how to submit a bug report, actually, because I'd registered some progress in some Class C race challenges without ever owning a Class C car.

(Great game, though. Tons of fun. Although bagsy mixed terrain for the followup!)
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(03-13-2012, 03:22 PM)
lulz at the subject title. Gonna invite a chick over my place for dinner by telling her my cooking is "Cordon Bleu meets McDonalds"
Triz
(03-13-2012, 04:55 PM)
Thanks for thread. I sent some spacebux your way. Well worth the dollar.
PIMPBYBLUD
(03-13-2012, 05:02 PM)
Will support this game you have convinced me. Bought...
Label
The Amiga Brotherhood
(03-13-2012, 05:52 PM)
Would be cool if they ported this to the Windows 7 Phone :)
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(03-13-2012, 05:59 PM)
going to buy because it looks cool and the feedback on here was good. But your demo is pretty harsh and might put people off with the difficulty (unless the rest of the game is even more difficult, in which case I'm screwed)
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(03-13-2012, 06:01 PM)
I'd like this game to be on iOS or PSP-Mini. Sounds fun, but looks like the type of game I'd rather play portable.
Littlegator
Banned
(03-13-2012, 06:04 PM)
I absolutely HATE isometric racers. :(
toythatkills
(03-13-2012, 06:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Littlegator

I absolutely HATE isometric racers. :(

There's a few different camera angles. A top down one that isn't isometric, and a more traditional chase cam (which is brilliant, but makes the game a lot harder)