• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

red731
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:41 PM)
red731's Avatar
And yet, the've released MadWorld.
Postman
Banned
(02-29-2012, 01:42 PM)
Postman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Medalion

We don't care if other people would do the same, this is about Nintendo being too conservative and never changing, and unloading pent up frustrations at them duh

Too conservative !?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bin...8video_game%29

go read that and that does not even tell of all the over the top things that is in the game.
StreetsAhead
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:42 PM)
StreetsAhead's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

It's amazing how thick NeoGAF can be...

But dude, don't you get it? Nintendo is so desperate for third party support they need every potentially religiously offensive game without a rating that's produced by a two man, indie development team they can get! This is 1945 level of creative oppression!
PixyJunket
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:42 PM)
PixyJunket's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

It's amazing how thick NeoGAF can be...

If I wasn't heading out for work, I would assemble a wall of shame. Some of the replies in here are just, wow.
tborsje
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:43 PM)

Originally Posted by gogogow

If it would be released on iOS and it won't, of course Apple would allow it, I mean if they allow copyright infringed material why wouldn't they allow this.

I don't think that they would.

Millions of South Park fans holding out hope for the release of the widely anticipated iPhone app are left heart broken today after creators announced that Apple has rejected their app for inclusion in the iTunes App Store. The South Park app has been completed for sometime now according to a report by Boing Boing.

"We first announced our iPhone App back in October, after we submitted the Application to Apple for approval. After a couple of attempts to get the application approved, we are sad to say that our app has been rejected. According to Apple, the content was 'potentially offensive.' " a South Park spokesperson told Boing Boing via email.

Postman
Banned
(02-29-2012, 01:44 PM)
Postman's Avatar

Originally Posted by red731

And yet, the've released MadWorld.

Mad world is mindless gore. This game has a lot of psychological , moral, and religious morbidity.
gogogow
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:44 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Erethian

Because they'd been in active discussions with Nintendo on trying to get it up on the eShop. Can't remember whether there have been similar discussions with Sony or Microsoft.

Yeah, I read that too in the OP/tweet...
So my question remains unanswered, and I don't think anyone here will know, but why not go to Sony and MS first? Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do after Steam? Or he already went to Sony/MS before going to Nintendo and also got rejected? And that's why the 3DS is his last resort for his game to be ported?
Oddduck
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:45 PM)
Oddduck's Avatar
Nintendo won't put Custer's revenge on the virtual console because it's about raping Indian women.

Stupid Nintendo for censoring everything! They'll never get the hardcore gamers!
SmokyDave
His head smashed in and his heart cut out and his liver removed and his bowels unplugged and his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off and his penis...
(02-29-2012, 01:45 PM)
SmokyDave's Avatar

Originally Posted by Postman

Too conservative !?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bin...8video_game%29

go read that and that does not even tell of all the over the top things that is in the game.

And?

Should Steam have refused the game too? Is there some 'limit' on the content that can be put in a videogame?
MatthewB92
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:46 PM)
MatthewB92's Avatar

Originally Posted by gogogow

Yeah, I read that too in the OP/tweet...
So my question remains unanswered, and I don't think anyone here will know, but why not go to Sony and MS first? Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do after Steam? Or he already went to Sony/MS before going to Nintendo and also got rejected? And that's why the 3DS is his last resort for his game to be ported?

Pretty sure it was because Nicalis was going to be porting it and Nicalis seems to do a lot of Nintendo stuff.
gogogow
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:47 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by tborsje

I don't think that they would.

Hey, you never know, there are countless Pokemon apps in the stores, there filter seems to be...eh...broken, maybe they weren't sleeping on the job when that Southpark app was submitted.
wutwutwut
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:47 PM)
wutwutwut's Avatar

Originally Posted by Postman

Mad world is mindless gore. This game has a lot of psychological , moral, and religious morbidity.

Really? What "psychological" and "moral" "morbidity" do cartoon drawings of faeces and Satan have?

Get a grip. The game's not just excellent, it's harmless.
iKeepPlaying
Banned
(02-29-2012, 01:48 PM)
iKeepPlaying's Avatar
Edit: Nvm I'm an ass =P
Last edited by iKeepPlaying; 02-29-2012 at 02:28 PM.
gogogow
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:49 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by MatthewB92

Pretty sure it was because Nicalis was going to be porting it and Nicalis seems to do a lot of Nintendo stuff.

Surely they can find another partner to do it for them on PSN/XBLA.
radioheadrule83
Banned
(02-29-2012, 01:50 PM)
radioheadrule83's Avatar

Originally Posted by Foliorum Viridum

Questionable religious content? Come the fuck on, what is this, 1945?

This made me laugh. Like 1945 was known for censorship of videogame media on religious grounds or something, and not the end of World War 2..
test_account
XP-39Cē
(02-29-2012, 01:51 PM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pureauthor

I understand being disappointed that Nintendo won't allow this game on their system.

I don't understand those who apparently believe Sony or Microsoft would.

I agree, after reading about the game, i would be surprised if Microsoft or Sony would allow this game.
MatthewB92
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:51 PM)
MatthewB92's Avatar

Originally Posted by gogogow

Surely they can find another partner to do it for them on PSN/XBLA.

Who knows. Maybe they will maybe they won't. We will see but it more than likely wouldn't be allowed on XBLA/PSN anyways.
Oddduck
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:51 PM)
Oddduck's Avatar
You have to admit, it would look weird going to the eshop and you see The Binding of Isaac in between Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Mutant Mudds.

Maybe Nintendo is worried gamers will mistake the game as something more kid friendly? While the content and themes might be offensive or adult themed, the game still has a cartoony style that might confuse parents and kids.

Most people don't know what Binding of Isaac is except for hardcore gamers who play a lot of indie games.
Nibel
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:51 PM)
Nibel's Avatar
Steam and the eShop are not the same thing, people: Both serve different gaming crowds.

Originally Posted by AceBandage

It's amazing how thick NeoGAF can be...

Give it a rest, Ace. They use one game refusal to critisize Nintendo as a whole; it seems some like some kind of childish venting.
Erethian
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:52 PM)

Originally Posted by gogogow

Yeah, I read that too in the OP/tweet...
So my question remains unanswered, and I don't think anyone here will know, but why not go to Sony and MS first? Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do after Steam? Or he already went to Sony/MS before going to Nintendo and also got rejected? And that's why the 3DS is his last resort for his game to be ported?

Went back to the original article, and like someone else said it was because a publisher initiated the discussions with Nintendo.

Edmund McMillen also said the game is unlikely to ever appear on any other platforms.

Source
Postman
Banned
(02-29-2012, 01:52 PM)
Postman's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmokyDave

And?

Should Steam have refused the game too? Is there some 'limit' on the content that can be put in a videogame?

Absolutely should be for consoles. PC is an open environment. Hand helds are very publicly excepted kid oriented devices. Even if I do not let my kid play this game some other parent not knowing or not caring would and that kid might be a friend of my kid.

Its kind of like how you can not just walk around naked in public. You want to right to walk around naked. But I want the right not to have to see you walk around naked.
gogogow
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:55 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by MatthewB92

Who knows. Maybe they will maybe they won't. We will see but it more than likely wouldn't be allowed on XBLA/PSN anyways.

They won't, either they are already rejected by Sony/MS or for some unspecified reason they ONLY want it to be on the 3DS.

Lol @ "they have to port the game them selves"

radioheadrule83
Banned
(02-29-2012, 01:55 PM)
radioheadrule83's Avatar

Originally Posted by wutwutwut

Really? What "psychological" and "moral" "morbidity" do cartoon drawings of faeces and Satan have?

Get a grip. The game's not just excellent, it's harmless.

Its NOTHING to do with the imagery. I can almost guarantee its the idea of accidentally exposing young people to themes such as infanticide (commanded by God).. the imagery doesn't make the content obvious.

It's kind of amusing (and yet, not) that gratuitous gore, swearing, war themes and even nudity can be found on any of the consoles, but none of them want to risk a Muhammad charicature moment (chanting in LBP and OOT), or to cause a rift with bible belt America. I'm betting this is totally all about avoiding the ire of pro-life groups and religious fundies. Bear in mind that they catch shit from loopy batshit insane groups like PETA already for their perfectly harmless Mario games...
SmokyDave
His head smashed in and his heart cut out and his liver removed and his bowels unplugged and his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off and his penis...
(02-29-2012, 01:56 PM)
SmokyDave's Avatar

Originally Posted by Postman

Absolutely should be for consoles. PC is an open environment. Hand helds are very publicly excepted kid oriented devices. Even if I do not let my kid play this game some other parent not knowing or not caring would and that kid might be a friend of my kid.

Its kind of like how you can not just walk around naked in public. You want to right to walk around naked. But I want the right not to have to see you walk around naked.

So, poorly implemented parental controls are to blame then?

I don't want my content moderating according to what someone else's children might look at.
bigdaddygamebot
(02-29-2012, 01:56 PM)
bigdaddygamebot's Avatar

Originally Posted by fresquito

I'm glad I left behind consoles. I can't stand shit like this.


Then stick to PCs but there was no fucking chance of Nintendo approving this. Have you even played The Binding of Isaac?

Middle America and CNN would slaughter Nintendo over this one.

Nintendo has made it clear that there is a particular demographic they are going after. The Binding of Isaac most definitely doesn't cater to that demographic.

PS - This isn't a console issue...
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(02-29-2012, 01:57 PM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by Erethian

Went back to the original article, and like someone else said it was because a publisher initiated the discussions with Nintendo.

Edmund McMillen also said the game is unlikely to ever appear on any other platforms.

Source

A few weeks later he then asked if people wanted it on PS3, and Vita. lol
MatthewB92
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:57 PM)
MatthewB92's Avatar

Originally Posted by gogogow

They won't, either they are already rejected by Sony/MS or for some unspecified reason they ONLY want it to be on the 3DS.

Lol @ "they have to port the game them selves"

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/boi_springform5syvo.jpg[IMG]

I think they didn't want to port it them self because the main game is flash and they don't want to reprogram it or something. I have no clue really because I know jake shit about flash and programming lol.
gogogow
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:58 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmokyDave

So, poorly implemented parental controls are to blame then?

I don't want my content moderating according to what someone else's children might look at.

And I dont want to be pat down by the TSA because a terrorist might have a bomb up his anus.
Mik2121
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:58 PM)
Mik2121's Avatar
Then release that thing on the Vita. I WILL BUY IT!.

Edit: Didn't know Sony rejected it. Oh well...


But really, the Vita needs a bunch of cheap titles like UNO and Super Meat Boy, and if they're into it, even cheaper stuff like Jetpack Joyride, Tiny Wings, etc...
Last edited by Mik2121; 02-29-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Oddduck
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:58 PM)
Oddduck's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmokyDave

So, poorly implemented parental controls are to blame then?

I don't want my content moderating according to what someone else's children might look at.

Not just about protecting kids. Nintendo doesn't want to get bad press for releasing anything discriminatory against groups of people (in this case religious people).

You can download Resident Evil and Metal Gear demos on the eshop, and those are M rated. So it's not like Nintendo won't put M rated stuff out there to download. And when you download an M Rated demo, it asks for your date of birth.

They just don't want to deal with angry religious groups. It's simple as that.
Postman
Banned
(02-29-2012, 01:58 PM)
Postman's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmokyDave

So, poorly implemented parental controls are to blame then?

I don't want my content moderating according to what someone else's children might look at.

That is the main reasoning behind every censorship law in existence. Welcome to a world that EVERYONE has to live in .. not just you.
Gattsu25
Formerly Wakune
(02-29-2012, 01:59 PM)
Gattsu25's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr Touchdown

The market the 3DS has doesn't seem suited to it, that's my opinion though.

The market is still new and hasn't been cemented yet. Now is the perfect time to try to attract new types of games
The Hermit
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:59 PM)
The Hermit's Avatar
Lol, i am pretty sure if this game was aproved, the OT would have half the posts of this thread... And most of them from people who didn't posted in this one.
BassForever
Member
(02-29-2012, 02:00 PM)
BassForever's Avatar
Everything I've seen of Binding of Isaac makes it look awesome, but at the same time deeply disturbing. It's not really a surprise it got rejected, Sony and Microsoft will probably reject the game as well if it is brought up for PSN/XBL.
SmokyDave
His head smashed in and his heart cut out and his liver removed and his bowels unplugged and his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off and his penis...
(02-29-2012, 02:01 PM)
SmokyDave's Avatar

Originally Posted by Postman

That is the main reasoning behind every censorship law in existence. Welcome to a world that EVERYONE has to live in .. not just you.

Let me put it another way, I feel that Nintendo lean too far towards protecting the children, at my expense. Sony and MS probably do too, but it's far more noticeable with the big 'N'.

At least on Steam I'm treated like an adult responsible enough to make my own purchasing decisions.
Lime
Member
(02-29-2012, 02:01 PM)
Lime's Avatar
This is why I dislike Nintendo and their brand, because of their policy on the values of the content available on their platform being judged and controlled by them. It's in my opinion quite counter-intuitive that a platform holder actually narrows the potential expressions of that platform's content, because Nintendo holds the opinion that no one should ever be offended by the controversial content: No swear words, no nudity, no religious statements/criticism, etc.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(02-29-2012, 02:02 PM)
Mpl90's Avatar
I don't think anyone could say this is a sign of Nintendo being behind times especially if you played The House of the Dead Overkill till the end. Mothafuckin incest
creid
Member
(02-29-2012, 02:04 PM)
creid's Avatar
Welp, there goes all chances of Monolith Soft releasing another good Xenogears/saga-style game.
gogogow
Member
(02-29-2012, 02:05 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lime

This is why I dislike Nintendo and their brand, because of their policy on the values of the content available on their platform being judged and controlled by them. It's in my opinion quite counter-intuitive that a platform holder actually narrows the potential expressions of that platform's content, because Nintendo holds the opinion that no one should ever be offended by the controversial content: No swear words, no nudity, no religious statements/criticism, etc.

Don't know if you know, but all platform holders do that. MS rejected harmless games like Machinarium and Beat Hazard to name a few.
Oddduck
Member
(02-29-2012, 02:05 PM)
Oddduck's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmokyDave

Let me put it another way, I feel that Nintendo lean too far towards protecting the children, at my expense. Sony and MS probably do too, but it's far more noticeable with the big 'N'.

At least on Steam I'm treated like an adult responsible enough to make my own purchasing decisions.

If Nintendo leans that far to protecting children, then why are there M rated demos to download on the eshop?

Why was it that most of the games I saw for Wii U's lineup involved shooting, stabbing, or physically hurting someone?

Nintendo is fine with adult material in games like violence, swearing, sex, drug use. Go play Scarface on Wii to see what I'm talking about.

But censoring material about religion, racism, or homosexuality is not about protecting kids. It's about protecting Nintendo's image. Nintendo is meant to be played by everyone, and if they release games that attack or mock groups of people, then it contradicts that message.
Last edited by Oddduck; 02-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Postman
Banned
(02-29-2012, 02:06 PM)
Postman's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmokyDave

Let me put it another way, I feel that Nintendo lean too far towards protecting the children, at my expense. Sony and MS probably do too, but it's far more noticeable with the big 'N'.

At least on Steam I'm treated like an adult responsible enough to make my own purchasing decisions.

I know what you are arguing. That is what I was explaining. You want the right to be naked in public. I want the right to not have to see you naked in public.

But you can be naked at home on steam all you want and I fine with that. :)
Sho_Nuff82
(02-29-2012, 02:07 PM)
Sho_Nuff82's Avatar
Couldn't they release it on the Android store or on XBL indy with no rating?
chickdigger802
Banned
(02-29-2012, 02:09 PM)
chickdigger802's Avatar
So... they allow SMT games to be published.... but not this?

Are these different branches that approve digital and retail stuff?
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(02-29-2012, 02:10 PM)
FyreWulff's Avatar
Nintendo probably thought it'd end up rated AO by the ESRB, and none of the console makers will allow an AO game on any of their consoles. Partly because none of the major retailers will carry AO games, it's essentially market suicide.

As it stands, if your game is pushing the M rating across platforms, Nintendo has the least amount of censoring of Nintendo/Sony/MS.


Originally Posted by Oddduck

Who remembers when Nintendo allowed BMXXX to have naked tits in the gamecube version of the game, but Sony didn't allow it for the PS2 version?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMXXX



I never played this crappy game, but I remember hearing about this. Nintendo is willing to allow tits before they'll allow religious bashing.

You won't believe how many people don't know that Nintendo had the only uncensored version of BMX XXX. See also: Conker's BFD N64 versus Live and Reloaded. MS censored the crap out their version.
Nerfgun
Banned
(02-29-2012, 02:10 PM)
Nerfgun's Avatar
I understand Nintendo's decision. Honestly the game is going to be way more trouble than it's 3DS sales would be worth, on Nintendo's platform.

What I don't get is why the devs won't self publish on PSN. That is their own weird decision.
angelfly
Member
(02-29-2012, 02:10 PM)
angelfly's Avatar
The game would be rejected on XBL and PSN as well. Sad to see people using this news a vessell to let out their Nintendo hate as if it would be allowed on the others.
Pureauthor
(02-29-2012, 02:10 PM)
Pureauthor's Avatar

Originally Posted by chickdigger802

So... they allow SMT games to be published.... but not this?

Are these different branches that approve digital and retail stuff?

Serious question: How many people in here commenting about Nintendo refusing BoI actually know what happens in BoI?
SparkTR
Member
(02-29-2012, 02:11 PM)
SparkTR's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

Couldn't they release it on the Android store or on XBL indy with no rating?

Apparently is goes against XBLIG's content guidelines, I don't know about Android. I'm just glad Steam exists.
Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(02-29-2012, 02:12 PM)
Woo-Fu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oddduck

They just don't want to deal with angry religious groups.

You make it sound like there are companies that do want to deal with angry religious groups.

I don't think it has anything to do with dealing with angry religious groups and everything to do with maintaining Nintendo's "wholesome" image. The same people who decided we needed friend codes to "protect the children" don't want parents to accidentally subject their children to The Binding of Isaac.

Is it ultimately the parents' responsibility to make sure they know what their kids are doing(playing)? Sure it is, but when you're marketing your product in a nanny state like the US you can safely assume that there are plenty who will blame your company for their poor parenting skills.

This is just Nintendo not willing to risk their image for what little money they would stand to make on this game. Sounds like a good business decision to me.
Erethian
Member
(02-29-2012, 02:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

Couldn't they release it on the Android store or on XBL indy with no rating?

Unlikely it would pass the content controls for XBLIG. No idea about Android, but getting anything with contentious religious content onto a smartphone store is going to be difficult.

Thread Tools