• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African tribes hunting with spears in Africa... most depressing video I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

I had no problem with them hunting the first few animals, but elephants and hippos are endangered so I'd prefer they not eat those.

It's too bad they couldn't instantly kill that elephant. He looked so panicked trying to pull the spears out of himself.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So is it true they killed people just to have it on film? For that Africa addio film.

5amshift

Banned
Yo this shits crazy since I've never seen it done professionally if you will. Trying to take down one of those Ox's would be hard as hell, it looks very impressive.

Edit: Oh fuck just watched the elephant take it to face. D:

Zeke

Sympathizing with a creature who's trying to avoid being killed is idiotic?
when someone here says they are "cheering for the animals" that usually translates to them cheering for the people to get injured or killed. If that wasn't what you were implying then carry on.

I had no problem with them hunting the first few animals, but elephants and hippos are endangered so I'd prefer they not eat those.

It's too bad they couldn't instantly kill that elephant. He looked so panicked trying to pull the spears out of himself.

They're not endangered or threatened in some parts and are even hunted normally as part of wildlife management policies in several African countries.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Gotta do what you have to do to eat. It could be worse though, at least they weren't throwing the spears from a helicopter.

Arment

when someone here says they are "cheering for the animals" that usually translates to them cheering for the people to get injured or killed. If that wasn't what you were implying then carry on.

Just to keep their lives. That thought really hadn't crossed my mind.

I can't speak 100% for the original poster, but I interpreted his comment to mean that he was rooting for them to escape.

That's how humans ate for hundreds of thousands of years. That's how millions of species ate for hundreds of thousands of years before that. The history of life is a story of murder and brutality. Ugly planet, but such is the nature of evolution. Surely works the same way on other planets if other planets have life. Life feeds on life.

Pretty ballsy.

Even though they have the advantage in numbers, those people could have easily been killed by a lot of those animals (getting trampled by a herd of buffalos, elephant, hippo). Those hunters have some cohones. I wonder what would happen if a pack of those hunters had a confrontation with a group of lions/tigers.

TheYanger

This video is 45 years old. While there still might be some that do this I think africa has moved a little past this.

There's nothing to 'move past' are you insane?
It is APPALLING how little people commenting on this shit seem to grasp the concepts of evolution, 'progress' and necessity, and just the fundamental facts of life.

This is the same kind of attitude that led to conquest and enslavement in the first place, seriously.

Comparing foragers with overfishing by industry is ABSURD as fuck. That's not what foraging or hunting are about at all. Foraging is the most efficient form of subsistence on the planet, farming is not.

.GqueB.

Banned
I don't think any workplace would really be cool with their employees watching youtube period. So again what was NSFW about this video?

A "NSFW" is more of a general thing. If there's blood and violence then most would assume it isn't safe for work. It's not safe to assume that every job is as lenient as yours. I would never watch this at work.

Derwind

Yeah. I'm glad my grandparents left Africa and moved to the States, and seeing videos like that reinforces it. What's your point?

My point is your myopic, ignorant, self-grandiosity that you'd abjectly refer an entire continent as "that place". Demeaning any and every facet of the continent.

And Africa is much better off without you if your stereotype of the entire continent is reinforced by ingeniousness people hunting their game like any other indigenous group does in every fucking part of the world.

Agriculture doesn't "rape nature" or "take from nature"? Where do you think the land comes from? Do you think nothing was living on it and it just popped into existence in order for people to farm?

well, what about when land is overfarmed or Desertification happens? and what about pollution (runoff) from raising cattle?

My point is your myopic, ignorant, self-grandiosity that you'd abjectly refer an entire continent as "that place". Demeaning any and every facet of the continent.

And Africa is much better off without you if your stereotype of the entire continent is reinforced by ingeniousness people hunting their game like any other indigenous group does in every fucking part of the world.

The village where my grandparents grew up, which I visited last year, sure is a lot better off without them let me tell you....

People like you, and since you're making assumptions so will I, who've never been there have no fucking idea. I've been to Central and Western Africa so I've seen first hand what goes on there, and I still have family there that I worry about everyday.

Derwind

The village where my grandparents grew up, which I visited last year, sure is a lot better off without them let me tell you....

People like you, and since you're making assumptions so will I, who've never been there have no fucking idea. I've been to Central and Western Africa so I've seen first hand what goes on there, and I still have family there that I worry about everyday.

Except you assume the same can be said about the rest, I'm from east Africa and believe me if not for the lack of similar job opportunities, I'd live there, unfortunately since life is not idealistic and there is a socio-economic gap here, I'm only able to visit the beaches of Mombasa or explore the streets Addis Abba whenever I've got vacation time out of school my school year.

The continent is fine and dandy without blanket statement like yours.

Good day.

Dash27

That damn music was ridiculous. The actual content though I really just saw it as any other nature movie. Lions have to eat, they sink teeth into young gazelles necks. Just how nature works.

Ra\/en

Depressing? that's badass!

I think the bigger problem is people with high powered elephant guns hunting for sport. Also, europeans contributed much more to the death of these kinds of animals.

DonMigs85

I only felt bad for the poor elephant. Plus thanks to his trunk he was the only beast with the ability to pull the spears out of himself.
That hippo at the end was a real fighter, though. It took a lot to finally bring him down.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm not seeing the problem, other than the music. Sure, it would be nice to kill the animals painlessly with nonexistent tools and businesses. But until then they'll hunt and eat rather than starve to death.

Wow talk about a group of savages! All those poor animals suffering, being killed. Thank God we moved to a system that is less hurtful to mother nature and has a more moral code to other animals interests. I can't believe they killed and ate all of those animals. Just inhumane!

What's most depressive to me is how they get to eat elephant meat, while I'll prolly never taste the thing in my lifetime! Now that is an injustice if I ever saw one!

I'm nearly 100% positive this was posted a year ago. So with this and the father son prostitute what's next? A Rebecca Black "Friday" thread.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm nearly 100% positive this was posted a year ago. So with this and the father son prostitute what's next? A Rebecca Black "Friday" thread.

Four pages in and you're the first one to mention the video is old. Relax, bro.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At least they don't make an industry out of confining animals in cages much smaller than they should be and pumping whatever they can out of them till they die(Milk, Eggs)....
Yeah, my thoughts, too. Hunting is so much more humane than agribusiness style husbandry.

DonMigs85

Looks like they killed one cheetah too, but I imagine it doesn't have much meat on it and what's there is tough and stringy.

Zzoram

Wow talk about a group of savages! All those poor animals suffering, being killed. Thank God we moved to a system that is less hurtful to mother nature and has a more moral code to other animals interests. I can't believe they killed and ate all of those animals. Just inhumane!

It has nothing to do with eating animals, just how they killed them.

Slowly poking an elephant to death as it desperately pulls out the spears, until finally it gets stabbed in the eye and face 5 times in 2 seconds and collapses because it gives up is pretty rough.

Modern slaughter techniques are basically instant death, quick and relatively painless, far less suffering.

As for animals not having much room to move around in farms, they don't need to move. In nature they only move at all because the food in front of them gets eaten and they have to move to more food. We just keep putting food in front of farm animals so they don't need to move. Many cows are let outside for brief periods, often times they just go back inside because they don't like the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom