• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African tribes hunting with spears in Africa... most depressing video I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
I'd rather one elephant be killed in this way than a hundred million chickens born and bred to be killed humanely. I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but at least these people work really hard for their food.

leadbelly

Banned
I'd rather one elephant be killed in this way than a hundred million chickens born and bred to be killed humanely. I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but at least these people work really hard for their food.

I'm not sure this is legit stet. I think they were coerced into doing it. Tribes have their own cattle. Why would they go around with spears taking out elephants and hippos? lol

leadbelly

Banned
I imagine tribes may have eaten elephant if need be, but I don't think that video is an accurate representation of african tribes because they are generally cattle herders/farmers.

SouthSudan-20.jpg

I really can't see them going around with spears taking out elephants like that. I'm not saying they don't, but I doubt it is common.

I think it's pretty funny how people on Neogaf are shocked.

Yeah, we are killing animals for meat and other products like leather. And killing an animal is cruel not because we are using spears but we take the life of an animal. To say my meat is "better" because the animal was killed with a bolt gun is just a cheap placebo.

I don't blame the people who find the video shocking at all.

Tribes kill and sometimes do it very gruesomely to get their meal. We are inclined to always think of the noble savage, because it's a confortable to do so...

However, it might also shock you guys to learn this and again, I don't blame anyone for getting worked up over this, that elephants in many african countries are considered harmful in the same way we perceive rabbits, warthogs and foxes as parasites that ruin crops and kill the farmer's live-stock.

they do but these farmers are also pushing into the elephant's natural area.
edit: is it right to assume that they only hunt a few times a year seeing as an elephant and hippo would provide tons of meat?

I think it's pretty funny how people on Neogaf are shocked.

Yeah, we are killing animals for meat and other products like leather. And killing an animal is cruel not because we are using spears but we take the life of an animal. To say my meat is "better" because the animal was killed with a bolt gun is just a cheap placebo.

I think you're right that killing is killing, but I don't think anyone here is talking about meat or which kinds of meat are better... I think people just appreciate that there's such thing as a quick death, and such thing as a barbaric death / remorseless butchering...

If there were no meaningful difference in how you perform a killing, people would be performing euthanasia on the terminally ill by stabbing them in the gut, plus a few times in the neck and around the eye sockets... maybe severing an artery just to watch them bleed out, maybe strangling them... or drowning them. None of us would prefer being shot to being stabbed 30+ times or run down by a vehicle so we lay paralysed and dying in the middle of a road while the emergency services struggle to get there in time...

there's a difference. I accept that there is a pecking order on the tree of life, and that we're top of it and that this stuff happens -- it just still saddened me to see some of those animals take so many wounds before going down. They suffered before the end.

leadbelly

Banned
they do but these farmers are also pushing into the elephant's natural area.
edit: is it right to assume that they only hunt a few times a year seeing as an elephant and hippo would provide tons of meat?

Elephants are pretty dangerous animals. They have been known to attack tribes on occasions completely unprovoked.

They could be bushmen actually, but generally they eat fruit, nuts, plants, etc. The sort of meat they would go for is more antelope as well. I want to know the context of what is happening in that clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom