• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Avs couldnt deliver the real 2 point knockout punch... but it will do for now.

Cmon Minnesota.
You beat Vancouver.. surely you can deliver the KO to Calgary.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
SUCK IT FLAMES SUCK IT SHARKS SUCK IT KINGS SUCK IT REFS

What's... happening? Apart from the Sharks only having 8 shots on goal, putting on a Toronto-style performance there.

EDIT: Ah, wrong game. Still funny.

Quick

Banned
On topic guys why do the leafs and habs suck? I'm a fan of the alberta teams but i'd like to see these proud Canadian franchises rise up once more and compete in the playoffs. Is there any hope with these teams? Are things turning around? Is there a young star on these teams that i should be watching for?

Montreal had a really bad season, but they still have solid players in their roster. Subban, Pacioretty, Price, Eller, Cole, and I'm probably missing more (Gomez...:lol). I'd imagine some big moves are going to happen, but with the CBA situation looming over, they might just keep their roster mostly intact.

Edmonton is going to be such a beast in the coming years, I'm jelly of their potential. RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Paarvi, and they get another top 5 pick in the coming draft.

I'm not so sure on Calgary. They're on the hunt for a playoff spot, so rebuilding isn't really their plan. I'd imagine that they'd have to really do something drastic if they don't make it in the playoffs this year.

Ottawa's been the surprise team this year out of all the Canadian teams. No one expected them to be where they are. The players seem to really respond to the coaching staff, and they have some up-and-comers making a big impact, especially Erik Karlsson (FutureLeaf™).

Winnipeg's also been sort of a surprise, considering they kept the Thrashers roster intact. Pavelec's become a solid goaltender, and is only getting better.

Vancouver, well...yeah.

-------------------------

The Leafs had a good season until after the All-Star break and spiralled down to their usual 9-13 spot. The coaching change happened too late, and the team is still trying to adjust to the new defensive game Caryle is implementing. Prospects pool is deep, though, so the team is set in that regard.

Defence, where the team has most of their money tied up, isn't exactly performing to expectations, but they're definitely not as bad as last year. Phaneuf's been solid all year, so I wouldn't count him as a problem for the most part. Komisarek's been given a second chance of sorts with Carlyle and seems to be improving somewhat. Gardiner's the best D-man in the team, and I think he's all-star material in the next few years. I'm mixed on Gunnarsson. Franson's been pretty good, but he's taken Komisarek's spot on the pressbox, so I don't know what's up with that. Liles has also been solid, but he's had his bouts of poor play.

Offence has been pretty good. Kessel and Lupul, and Grabovski have been deadly and have given the team offensive boost on the first two lines. The team's third and fourth line have been serviceable, but could be better. And LOL Connolly earning $5.5 million to be a 4th liner :(.

Goaltending has been a fucking mess. Reimer was great before going down with "concussion-like symptoms", and Gustavsson's filled in for him just fine, and enough to even take the starting job from him at times. Right now, they have zero confidence and the team in front of them isn't helping.

-------------------------

I'm probably wrong with half of my own assessments, so make the necessary corrections. :lol

bardia

I have no idea how I'm going to study for school throughout the play offs....Feels like they've already started in the West now and it's definitely making me already procrastinate :lol

dem

Whats with the hate?

bill_daly.jpg

Flames losing and the draft lottery

this is what i live for

Quick

Banned
You forgot to mention Schenn, who is paid like a veteran NHL-shut down guy but plays like like the overrated AHLer he actually/probably is. Another completely stupid contract move by Burke.

:( Thanks for reminding me. Am cry.

There's still hope for Schenn to turn it around. I feel like bringing him into the NHL early somewhat ruined him. He did have a decent 1st season, and things seemed to have spiralled down afterwards.

Puddles

Banned
Honestly, I'd prefer a world in which both LA and San Jose made the playoffs, and Phoenix and Colorado were left out in the cold.

Colorado has been forcing their way into the picture like the obnoxious drunk jock who won't stop hitting on your girl at the bar.

Honestly, I'd prefer a world in which both LA and San Jose made the playoffs, and Phoenix and Colorado were left out in the cold.

Colorado has been forcing their way into the picture like the obnoxious drunk jock who won't stop hitting on your girl at the bar.

And LA has been sitting out of the picture like the anxious geek letting the drunk jock hit on his waifu.

Edit: Fuck it, you know what I've changed my mind. GO SHARKS!

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Hell yeah we can beat a playoff team from the Atlantic. Beautiful goaltending, beautiful powerplay kill... just loved the pressure the Panthers put on them all game long in every category except for shots. They were aggressive and it was great to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom