• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Volimar

Firefox hasn't been running smoothly for awhile now for me. I've updated, uninstall it, re-install it and nothing seems to work. List of problems with Firefox I've been having:

• Pages haven't been displaying properly even though it displays well on Explorer
  • Constant "Page cannot be displayed" even though it shows up for other browsers
  • Constant freezing
  • Constant crashing
  • Firefox window background despite no window being open and I block pop-ups from opening.

I thought maybe it would be my cookies or history or maybe one of the plug-ins but it turns out that its none of them because on a fresh Firefox install it still has the same problems.

I'm getting these again. Blue screens and crashes...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Firefox 16 releases Tuesday. I'd suggest uninstalling, using ccleaner, clearing out your app data folder, and then clean installing Firefox 16.

The problem I'm having is annoying me to no end. When I open a new window or tab, it's like the window is locked.
I can't minimize or collapse from the corner, it just won't let me click it. I have to go to the taskbar to do those things. When in some sites like youtube, it won't let me use the flash controls unless i minimize the window 1st.

Everything's working in IE, I dont know what's up with FF.

Volimar

Okay, so I just got several freezes/crashes in a row. I've uninstalled Firefox, and run CCleaner. I'm using IE, atm. Feels dirty. Will install Firefox in a few days if it looks like 16 is clean enough. Hope that's the end of my problems. My lack of computer knowledge makes every crash a near anxiety attack.

Want to know something else that's fucked up? While I was in safe mode, I decided to clear out some old programs. One was called Magic the gathering tactics. When I tried to uninstall it, it asked if i was sure I wanted to uninstall windows/system32.

WTF?!?!

Sarcasm

How do I fix the script for greasemonkey neogaf highlight? It just stopped working.

**Saw the comment about scriptish - using that now.

Vanillalite

For anyone who has major issues and is doing a reinstall today when 16 is pushed make sure if you are on Windows to clear your app data Firefox related folders.

Anyone else having problems with Flash causing hard freezes after upgrading to the latest AMD driver? Whenever I visit a site using Flash, plugin-container.exe will freeze. I ended up uninstalling Flash completely for now.

Edit: Hey, it seems like YouTube automatically switches to HTML5 when Flash isn't installed. Maybe this is a better solution. Everything is faster now.

Edit 2: Huh? A slight downside with HTML5 is that there isn't any audio.

I first encountered the problem with FF15 and it didn't disappear when I upgraded to FF16. It might be hardware related though, I have a few other weird issues. Maybe a sector of the HDD is damaged or something.

Vanillalite

Honestly not that much to write home about in FF16 for me. To be expected though as it's a quiet release other than the garbage collection change. Of course we get the usual round of HTML5 stuff getting the ok to go live every release.

Actiss

Anyone else having problems with Flash causing hard freezes after upgrading to the latest AMD driver? Whenever I visit a site using Flash, plugin-container.exe will freeze. I ended up uninstalling Flash completely for now.

Yeah, I was having this problem on my desktop PC with Firefox 15, just this morning in fact. I ended up disabling Flash protected mode, and that seemed to fix the issue.

Follow the instructions at the bottom of this support article under "Last Resort":
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4468493

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Anyone here use Firefox on their macbook pro?

Yep, and I love using it just as much as Chrome. Firefox absolutely needed to follow Chrome's fast development and forced upgrade cycle. Not only did it vastly improve their rendering engines, but they've been able to integrate test, integrate and improve features at a pace that was impossible under the old yearly release cycle.

FF16 feels fast. But so did FF15 and FF14. Unless I'm actually running benchmarks it's hard to discern much performance difference between any of the major rendering engines right now.

While I love how much Safari integrates with OSX's pinch-to-zoom, like Reader and open to extensions, I still have loyalties to Firefox dating back to my fat teenage years. Browser sync has never failed me on OSX, Windows and Android, and there are still a certain quality to FF's extensions that beat their implementation in Chrome.

Vanillalite

I ran the usual we got a new browser version time to test out sunspider. It's kind of useless now though as FF, Chrome, Opera, and Safari are all sub 500ms now anyways. Anything beyond that and you're just nitpicking between the two IMO.

Also did checked out the HTML5 test, and yeah more stuff.

Again not that any of this really matters to the end user. People will be more likely to see an improvement over the improved garabage collection rather than any of the above.

ksdixon

Hmmm, FF 16.0 broke my theme compatibility (Jez's FF3 theme for FF4+). It doesn't seem that enabling Nightly Tester Tools and disabling the Addon Compatibility Reporter addons is fixing the problem either.

Volimar

Man, I uninstalled firefox, and I'm still getting freezes, crashes, and sudden reboots on IE now.

CCleaner keeps coming up with:

SysWow64\plasrv.exe

as a registry error. Having CCleaner fix it doesn't seem to make a difference. But after looking it up, it seems the file can be manipulated by malware. A quick scan from malwarebytes hasn't found anything.

It's strange, but it seems to be that if I tab away from a page playing an audio/video file, that's when the crashes happen, whether it's youtube, pandora, or just an audio ad on a web page.

I'm doing a full scan with malwarebytes now to see if that finds anything.

I'm not savvy when it comes to this kind of thing at all, so every crash freaks me out a little more.

Well, the Firefox team completely failed to deliver on their promise of getting Firefox 16 in line with Mac OS X 10.7.

I wonder if they even know 10.8 is out now.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Man, I uninstalled firefox, and I'm still getting freezes, crashes, and sudden reboots on IE now.

CCleaner keeps coming up with:

SysWow64\plasrv.exe

as a registry error. Having CCleaner fix it doesn't seem to make a difference. But after looking it up, it seems the file can be manipulated by malware. A quick scan from malwarebytes hasn't found anything.

It's strange, but it seems to be that if I tab away from a page playing an audio/video file, that's when the crashes happen, whether it's youtube, pandora, or just an audio ad on a web page.

I'm doing a full scan with malwarebytes now to see if that finds anything.

I'm not savvy when it comes to this kind of thing at all, so every crash freaks me out a little more.

If MalwareBytes doesn't find it, try TDSSKiller: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

It does sound like somesort of virus.

Volimar

malwarebytes finished full scan, no detection.

TDSSKiller ran scan, no detection.

Running a few more full scans with MSE etc. to try to catch whatever it is.

I also just got loads of windows updates to install, so that might be something.

After all this gets done, I'll go through and make sure my flash and drivers are all up to date.

Sanjuro

Well, the Firefox team completely failed to deliver on their promise of getting Firefox 16 in line with Mac OS X 10.7.

I wonder if they even know 10.8 is out now.

I've been using the beta for a long time now. Fantastically smooth and stable.

Still have Chrome installed, but Firefox keeps me coming back. Just a better overall experience of late.

Volimar

I just want to say thanks for the people that were giving me help in this thread. I ran full scans on all my stuff, and on some of the suggestions but didn't come up with anything. I installed all my updates and made sure my flash was up to date. So far so good, but I haven't tried paying any audio/video files yet. I'll give that a shot tomorrow maybe, but I'm gunshy about the possibility of triggering anymore crashes.

Apologies for this ending up off topic, but thanks again for the helpful posts.

Vanillalite

I just want to say thanks for the people that were giving me help in this thread. I ran full scans on all my stuff, and on some of the suggestions but didn't come up with anything. I installed all my updates and made sure my flash was up to date. So far so good, but I haven't tried paying any audio/video files yet. I'll give that a shot tomorrow maybe, but I'm gunshy about the possibility of triggering anymore crashes.

Apologies for this ending up off topic, but thanks again for the helpful posts.

If you are running through things I'd highly suggest to grab the latest video drivers as well!

Good luck mate! :)

Jal

Firefox 16 taken offline

Users who had upgraded to version 16 were advised to downgrade to the previous safe release until Firefox developers released a fix.

The vulnerability allowed "a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited", Mozilla said.

The non-profit company said that only a "limited number of users are affected".

"As a precaution, users can downgrade to version 15.0.1 by following these instructions. Alternatively, users can wait until our patches are issued and automatically applied to address the vulnerability."

I haven't downgraded, should i?

Vanillalite

So THAT's why when my buddy went to the site last night it said 15.01 and not 16 despite me saying uhhh 16 is out I already have it. LOL

PS: They'll hotfix fast for this I'm sure so I'm not going to bother downgrading. Way to funk up though Mozilla. LOL

Sordid

I ditched Chrome a few weeks ago and came back to Firefox but I've been having issues. If I've been away from the computer for a wee while or using another program when I come back and try to refresh a page/open a new tab Firefox freezes for 5-10 seconds. I switched to Waterfox which is an improvement but the issue is still there. I only run a few addons; adblock (disabled on GAF!), flashblock, last pass, stylish and fvd speed dial. I have a decent enough laptop (8GB ram, SSD, quad core i7 etc).

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I've tried Googling the issue but I've only found a few others who have experienced the same and couldn't find a solution :(

Top Bottom