• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Redford
aka Cabbie
(03-06-2012, 04:24 AM)
Redford's Avatar
Finally finished OT1, really nice brainstorming on some of the blurry pics.

Curious, Powerhouse was the first Reach map we saw, right? Funny how it turned out to be arguably the only good disc map. Hype aside, do you think we have a winner in either of these new ones? Could you sort of tell, Devo? (Wraparound is an okay name and I like it, but I think it could be better, especially if it is one of the more competitive ones.)
RebornYeti
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:24 AM)
RebornYeti's Avatar

Originally Posted by Domino Theory

I hope the hype/media train is consistent from here on out and not where we get another blackout until E3 or something.

Are there any special conventions or events happening between now and E3?
Computron
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:24 AM)
Computron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cabbie

Finally finished OT1, really nice brainstorming on some of the blurry pics.

Curious, Powerhouse was the first Reach map we saw, right? Funny how it turned out to be arguably the only good disc map. Hype aside, do you think we have a winner in either of these?

Clearly it will be the Valhalla remake
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(03-06-2012, 04:27 AM)
GhaleonEB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Domino Theory

I hope the hype/media train is consistent from here on out and not where we get another blackout until E3 or something.

I'm really hoping for follow-up press coverage. Edge is said to have a preview in their next issue; my hope is they had closed-door press events at the show where follow-up information and media will release through. And of course, supplementary material can now flow via the podcasts and Bulletins now that they have revealed the game.
Falagard
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:29 AM)
Falagard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Computron

You guys switched threads on me and I got beat by a minute.


Can't believe we are nerding out and overanylizing some pxels in a video.

I think I saw multiple gunmen trying to kill JFK in there somewhere too. :-)

I can, this is all we're going to be able to do for the several weeks until they decide to share another scrap or two of information.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:30 AM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

100 post master race.

Only newbz want to scroll down more every time they open a thread.

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

I'm really hoping for follow-up press coverage. Edge is said to have a preview in their next issue; my hope is they had closed-door press events at the show where follow-up information and media will release through. And of course, supplementary material can now flow via the podcasts and Bulletins now that they have revealed the game.

I'd really love a campaign trailer before E3, and maybe a Game Informer cover for May?
ncsuDuncan
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:30 AM)
ncsuDuncan's Avatar

Originally Posted by -Yeti

Are there any special conventions or events happening between now and E3?

PAX East is a month away. *fingers crossed*
Redford
aka Cabbie
(03-06-2012, 04:30 AM)
Redford's Avatar
Hey Comp, where did that animation of MC with the grenade psitol come from btw? If it was in the ViDoc I totally missed it. :P

---

(I'm with Enzo on the multiplayer canon thing, I really hope it's more than just "training" and I'm sure it will be.)
Devolution
the fabulous one
(03-06-2012, 04:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Cabbie

Finally finished OT1, really nice brainstorming on some of the blurry pics.

Curious, Powerhouse was the first Reach map we saw, right? Funny how it turned out to be arguably the only good disc map. Hype aside, do you think we have a winner in either of these new ones? Could you sort of tell, Devo? (Wraparound is an okay name and I like it, but I think it could be better, especially if it is one of the more competitive ones.)

Hard to tell without playing these yourself and since there were no weps on the map flythroughs, even harder to gauge what areas will be coveted.
Steelyuhas
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:32 AM)
Steelyuhas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Demoncarnotaur

Wait, is the other team Green in this picture, or is that an effect from it being off screen? If so, things like loadouts may only be present in certain gametypes.

Also notice grenade logo next to Grenadier, with 3 Frags, that must be a perk/class that give you an extra grenade.

Another thing is that logo in the top left of the screen looks like it could be a logo for a jump pack/thrusters with a meter below it.

Originally Posted by Devolution

I think we're underestimating 343 if the existence of forge would somehow negatively impact what they've got going on with maps thus far. I hope some map stuff comes out soon so people can be much less wary of that.

Regardless of people's confidence in 343's map making ability for Halo 4, people (including myself) are going to be understandably concerned about Forge impacting the rest of the maps because of what happened with Reach's maps due in part to Forge.

That doesn't mean I think that 343 is shipping half the maps as Forge maps.
kittens
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:33 AM)
kittens's Avatar
I remember people going nuts over the "amazing sight lines" on Boardwalk when it was first shown. :lol
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(03-06-2012, 04:34 AM)
erpg's Avatar
HaloGAF, what superb timing on the new thread.
Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(03-06-2012, 04:35 AM)
Plywood's Avatar
That producer comment in the H4 thread...
Demoncarnotaur
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:35 AM)
Demoncarnotaur's Avatar
So, am I going crazy or do I see eyes behind the visor?


Originally Posted by fnmore1

M-Slayer = Multi-Slayer = Multi-Team?

Probably explains green team.

That also makes sense.

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

I'm really hoping for follow-up press coverage. Edge is said to have a preview in their next issue; my hope is they had closed-door press events at the show where follow-up information and media will release through. And of course, supplementary material can now flow via the podcasts and Bulletins now that they have revealed the game.

Yup, I really hope as the week goes on they share some more direct feed screens and some b-roll footage similar to what the press saw with a little more later this month. I am a little surprised we didn't get a tad more today, as this was more akin to a teaser of a teaser, with decent substance.
The Librarian
Founding member, Guardians Anonymous
(03-06-2012, 04:38 AM)
The Librarian's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Antitype

The rate of fire of the DMR (and any weapon that would ideally be inspired by it) was too slow at long range to kill anybody, because they could easily get to cover to recharge their shields. As such, it was good for pestering and assisting teammates in battle from a distance, not great for actually racking up kills at a distance.

The DMR's range always puts the player on edge because at any point in the map they can start getting pinged by DMR fire even though they may not be killed (and that's still annoying). The DMR pushes the combat farther apart than they otherwise would be, making for less interesting and dynamic combat (no chance of greande use, melee).

Only 2x scope, please.
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
(03-06-2012, 04:38 AM)
Tashi's Avatar
^^Optimus Prime son!
Computron
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:39 AM)
Computron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Falagard

I can, this is all we're going to be able to do for the several weeks until they decide to share another scrap or two of information.

So, have you made halo maps or used UDK/other?


Originally Posted by Cabbie

Hey Comp, where did that animation of MC with the grenade psitol come from btw? If it was in the ViDoc I totally missed it. :P

---

(I'm with Enzo on the multiplayer canon thing, I really hope it's more than just "training" and I'm sure it will be.)


Yea, its 1:38 into the making of vidoc, on the right.
Booties
Banned
(03-06-2012, 04:39 AM)
Booties's Avatar
Alright release this game so I can take the trash out.
kylej
Banned
(03-06-2012, 04:39 AM)
kylej's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plywood

That producer comment in the H4 thread...

?
Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(03-06-2012, 04:40 AM)
Plywood's Avatar

Originally Posted by kylej

?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=947
Devolution
the fabulous one
(03-06-2012, 04:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Plywood

That producer comment in the H4 thread...

Some subsequent posts were ridiculous as well. =/ Good thing this thread exists.
Computron
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:41 AM)
Computron's Avatar
Show me the ropes guys, I can barely even tell what thread I am in usuallly. What thread are we sticking too and are there any NeoGAF enhancement suites for chrome? What about on iPhone?
Rickenslacker
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:41 AM)
Rickenslacker's Avatar
While I'm going all stream of consciousness, outside of the gameplay concerns, the sound of sprint is just irritating.

If I have to deal with it in Halo 4, please just keep the character silent, I don't want to hear constant wheezing asthma Spartans again. Give sprint another kind of audio cue.
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(03-06-2012, 04:42 AM)
erpg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plywood

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=947

Man, this whole week has been me raging and white knighting, hasn't it.
Homeboyd
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:42 AM)
Homeboyd's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plywood

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=947

Being a douche and having Devo keep tabs never ends well.

She's batting 1000
Havok
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Computron

Show me the ropes guys, I can barely even tell what thread I am in usuallly. What thread are we sticking too and are there any NeoGAF enhancement suites for chrome? What about on iPhone?

They're fairly interchangeable, or at least they have been in the past. Administration just wants new news to have new threads. Nirolak is great about splitting them off if other people don't.

I think Gaming side threads are a neat avenue to debate design with people that otherwise wouldn't post in a community thread, since there is a barrier to entry to get things going in threads like this.

GAF on iPhone begins and ends here: http://secondapps.com/neogaf/
Last edited by Havok; 03-06-2012 at 04:45 AM.
kittens
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:43 AM)
kittens's Avatar

Originally Posted by Computron

Show me the ropes guys, I can barely even tell what thread I am in usuallly. What thread are we sticking too and are there any NeoGAF enhancement suites for chrome? What about on iPhone?

NeoGAF User Highlighter for Chrome
Second Apps version of NeoGAF for iOS
Rickenslacker
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:44 AM)
Rickenslacker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plywood

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=947

Seriously what the fuck was he thinking.
DMeisterJ
Banned
(03-06-2012, 04:44 AM)
DMeisterJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plywood

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=947

Expected from Gaming-age. smh
Redford
aka Cabbie
(03-06-2012, 04:46 AM)
Redford's Avatar
I remember seeing a screenshot of someone's iOS homescreen and it had a GAF app icon, did we ever have a dedicated app? (not web-based)
kylej
Banned
(03-06-2012, 04:46 AM)
kylej's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plywood

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=947

erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(03-06-2012, 04:46 AM)
erpg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cabbie

I remember seeing a screenshot of someone's iOS homescreen and it had a GAF app icon, did we ever have a dedicated app? (not web-based)

No. Not needed. Also helps that secondapps, being web, works on just about anything that isn't a desktop user agent.
Raide
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:47 AM)
Raide's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wizman23

Who here votes for forge being axed in exchange for better and more original MP maps? Other then Grifball and a few maps that shine I really think the forge experiment failed overall in Halo 3 and Reach. Complete editor or nothing....go big or go home. Also leave it for Halo 5 and just concentrate on the basics for Halo 4.

Hell no. Reach Forge was awesome but the colour palette was really limited, which ended up giving us lots of very similar looking maps. Some of them were actually awesome but having lots of gray maps really grated after a while.

If 343i can expand on it with way more variety, plus make lighting an important factor, it will lead to some awesome maps.

As suggested many moons ago, they should just make a PC map editor and let it transfer to the game.
Demoncarnotaur
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:48 AM)
Demoncarnotaur's Avatar
Disregard my earlier thought of eyes behind the visor, while going through the footage it just seems the light bunches up and reflects from some angles, which give the appearance of eyes-

Computron
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:50 AM)
Computron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cabbie

Hey Comp, where did that animation of MC with the grenade psitol come from btw? If it was in the ViDoc I totally missed it. :P

---

(I'm with Enzo on the multiplayer canon thing, I really hope it's more than just "training" and I'm sure it will be.)

New |OT| so ill post it here for those who haven't seen:



Really guys what is that thing?

Oh, and new SlowMo GIF I made to show off Wraparound:

Redford
aka Cabbie
(03-06-2012, 04:50 AM)
Redford's Avatar
Kind of need some form of Forge for community edits, but I wouldn't mind if, like you say, we got better maps. Although I don't see that as being a necessary trade-off.

I don't have a single FW map that I consistently enjoyed...


Originally Posted by Computron

New |OT| so ill post it here for those who haven't seen:

Fanny pack!
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(03-06-2012, 04:52 AM)
GhaleonEB's Avatar
So, where is Waypoint on the new dashboard? I never found it after the redesign, and having spent five minutes just now trying, I still can't.

The new dashboard is...not good.
Devolution
the fabulous one
(03-06-2012, 04:53 AM)


SWAG SWAG SWAG

in case anyone gets silly that's just a Reach figurine
senador
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:53 AM)
senador's Avatar


Using Homeboyd's avatar image since I'm too lazy to get a bigger one... There's a lot of white on these models. Possiblity that these could be replaced with a play picked color la Halo 2? Would be awesome.

Originally Posted by Havok

They're fairly interchangeable, or at least they have been in the past. Administration just wants new news to have new threads. Nirolak is great about splitting them off if other people don't.

I think Gaming side threads are a neat avenue to debate design with people that otherwise wouldn't post in a community thread, since there is a barrier to entry to get things going in threads like this.

GAF on iPhone begins and ends here: http://secondapps.com/neogaf/

The new one is slick but limited right now: http://secondapps.com/mockup.
Reagan's BR
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:53 AM)
Reagan's BR's Avatar

Originally Posted by Computron

New |OT| so ill post it here for those who haven't seen:



Really guys what is that thing?

I'm pretty sure it will replace the Pro Pipe.

Hi Dax.
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(03-06-2012, 04:53 AM)
erpg's Avatar

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

So, where is Waypoint on the new dashboard? I never found it after the redesign, and having spent five minutes just now trying, I still can't.

The new dashboard is...not good.

Somewhere in Games, there's a tile called Game Hubs.

New Dashboard is brilliant.
NOKYARD
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:54 AM)
NOKYARD's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rickenslacker

While I'm going all stream of consciousness, outside of the gameplay concerns, the sound of sprint is just irritating.

If I have to deal with it in Halo 4, please just keep the character silent, I don't want to hear constant wheezing asthma Spartans again. Give sprint another kind of audio cue.

I could live with this as a replacement.
senador
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:55 AM)
senador's Avatar

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

So, where is Waypoint on the new dashboard? I never found it after the redesign, and having spent five minutes just now trying, I still can't.

The new dashboard is...not good.

I think its under Apps, My Apps or something.

Originally Posted by Devolution

http://i.imgur.com/tMGxM.jpg

SWAG SWAG SWAG

in case anyone gets silly that's just a Reach figurine

Nice! Those 343 guys rock.
Havok
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:55 AM)

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

So, where is Waypoint on the new dashboard? I never found it after the redesign, and having spent five minutes just now trying, I still can't.

The new dashboard is...not good.

Had the same problem today. Just use this link to add it to your queue and then Quick Launch it without having to dig through menus. I lucked out in the end because it was in one of the 'Advertisement' slots on the main page when I gave up.

Also, ads now showing up before videos in Waypoint is a totally lame thing.
JaggedSac
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:55 AM)
JaggedSac's Avatar

Originally Posted by Computron



Really guys what is that thing?

Stomach launcher.

Looks like the pistol can have attachments now. There will probably be a scope, this grenade launcher, larger clip, automatic mode, accuracy barrel, etc.

Wraparound lighting looks great.
Last edited by JaggedSac; 03-06-2012 at 04:57 AM.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(03-06-2012, 04:55 AM)
GhaleonEB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lyphen

Somewhere in Games, there's a tile called Game Hubs.

New Dashboard is brilliant.

That's....rather counter-intuitive. Thanks.

It's one of worst, most badly designed UI's I've ever used. Took me 10 minutes to find the new Arcade. Most of the space is ads, while critical categories are buried in odd places.
senador
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:56 AM)
senador's Avatar
^^ Agreed. I don't like it either.

Originally Posted by Computron

New |OT| so ill post it here for those who haven't seen:



Really guys what is that thing?

Pretty sure that is Chief putting a camera zoom lens on a calk gun.
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
(03-06-2012, 04:56 AM)
Tashi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Devolution



SWAG SWAG SWAG

in case anyone gets silly that's just a Reach figurine

Wow! That's awesome.
PsychoRaven
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:56 AM)
PsychoRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Havok

Had the same problem today. Just use this link to add it to your queue without having to dig through menus. I lucked out in the end because it was in one of the 'Advertisement' slots on the main page when I gave up.

Also, ads now showing up before videos in Waypoint is a totally lame thing.

That's Microsoft for you. Shouldn't surprise anyone that they're shoving ads in there. If anything I'm surprised it took them that long.
Pennybags
Member
(03-06-2012, 04:57 AM)
Pennybags's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tashi0106

^^Optimus Prime son!



Nah, it's this guy right here.

Thread Tools