• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

I also dislike Spartan points, called them what the are: credits.

I just hate the name Spartan Ops, sounds tacky and kind of naming it after a COD mode is ugh. Maby it will grow on me, but I just dislike the name.
I hate the name too for the same reasons. It's like they didn't even try to come up with a creative name.

But oh well, in the end it's not like the name even matters.

kylej

Banned
Infinity Ops.

Credits.

I just saved Halo 4.

I don't know if Spartan Ops or Infinity Ops is more honest.

infinity_ward_logo1271212108.jpg

I might shit a brick if the location of the hologram thing in the spaceship Infinity is the Infinity Ward.

Arnie

5) Random power weapon drops and instant respawns.

*Deep breath*

THIS IS THE WORST IDEA IN THE LONG SAD HISTORY OF BAD IDEAS. Seriously, how is this not a few steps removed from turning every match into a Fiesta gametype?! Oh, you happened to be standing where the rocket launcher pod fell? Lucky you! Are you out of your MINDS 343?!

-1,000,000 excitement for this, and may god have mercy on the souls of every person at 343 who did not immediately pack up and leave the team after hearing this was the direction. Sinning by silence makes cowards out of men.

tumblr_lt5o822URJ1qchl8do5_250.gif

High five.

*Deep breath*

THIS IS THE WORST IDEA IN THE LONG SAD HISTORY OF BAD IDEAS. Seriously, how is this not a few steps removed from turning every match into a Fiesta gametype?! Oh, you happened to be standing where the rocket launcher pod fell? Lucky you! Are you out of your MINDS 343?!

-1,000,000 excitement for this, and may god have mercy on the souls of every person at 343 who did not immediately pack up and leave the team after hearing this was the direction. Sinning by silence makes cowards out of men.

Care to elaborate? Because it's not going to be weapons just spawing anywhere.

Trey

1) Choosing primary and secondary weapon loadouts at the beginning of a match doesn't seem so bad to me.

Gears of War 3 actually did this, and it was still a pretty damn balanced, skill-based shooter. I could see the appeal of choosing any combination of the weapons listed based on my preferences, the layout of the map, etc. +1 excitement for that.

2) Armor pieces that tie directly to armor abilities sounds good to me.

One of the bigger problems with armor abilities in Reach was that you could never really tell what armor ability anybody was using from a distance, so you couldn't plan or approach accordingly. If I can see a guy has a certain helmet/shoulder/chest/whatever and immediately know 'ok, he has this ability and these stats, I should approach it as such-and-such' that would be an improvement. +1 excitement for that

3) Spartan Ops sounds like a cool idea. I don't necessarily like the idea of it replacing fire-fight instead of adding to it.

Seriously, how many development resources does it take to whip together some maps and drop in some AI routines? Spartan Ops, by the sounds of it, is a much larger undertaking in terms of time and resources.

That said, change the damn name. We all know you're stealing ideas from CoD at this point, changing the word Spec to Spartan doesn't really disguise it that well.

+0 excitement for this.

4) Mid-match joining. Ugh.

As long as there's some barrier between matches where mid-match joining is allowed or not, I'm fine with this. Make it the difference between social and ranked, make different search filters, make different playlists. I don't care. Just make a wall so I don't have to deal with this BS if I don't want to.

-1 excitement for this.

*Deep breath*

1) I agree. It's something that makes sense, because everyone can choose their own utility weapon and it never made much sense to have to pick it up in the first place. The battles were always waged over power weapons and pick ups, and that's how it should stay.

2) The gambit nature of AAs never bothered me. Regardless of what they carried, there was no difference in how you engaged them "from a distance". But it's always nice to know, and it probably should be as such if AAs are undergoing a serious redesign in function (which I highly suspect they are).

3) Infinity* Ops is definitely inspired by Spec Ops, but it has the potential to be so much more than how its integrated in CoD. I'm looking forward to this bit, and hope that it incorporates some elements of the game types it replaced.

4) DIDO was a forgone conclusion, and is the most practical solution to the issues that plague matchmaking, namely quitters. Hopefully there will be a more focused playlist that doesn't have the feature enabled. Something like Arena or MLG from Reach, which is designed for competition and competition only.

5) Yeah, weapon spawns suck. No two ways about that. I came around to IRs.

Care to elaborate? Because it's not going to be weapons just spawing anywhere.

No, I figured there would be pre-determined spawn points, and at any of those spawn points, a pod could drop in carrying anything from a rocket-launcher, to a sniper to a spartan laser. It's still random, unskilled, luck-based bullshit.

Here's an idea: I'm better than you. I've learned the maps, I know where the weapons spawn, and I have fought off several players for the right to pick up this power weapon and reap the benefits of it. My skill has earned me an advantage.

Crazy fucking logic, I know, making players actually learn the game to succeed at it.

If Spartan Ops plays anything like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, it'll play very well. Small, focused maps with randomised objectives and locations with a nice array of enemies.

They should bring back Crater and Lost Platoon for Firefight.

Wait.

So disappointed that Crater was in the Reach campaign and not a Firefight map. That thing is so good.

I just realised, have Devo or Duncan posted here in the last few days? Or have they not seen the news?

I can't remember the last time I saw Devo post in here.

Axing FF was one of the only good bits of info from GI. I can only hope Forge as we know it is next.

APPROVED.

Arnie

No, I figured there would be pre-determined spawn points, and at any of those spawn points, a pod could drop in carrying anything from a rocket-launcher, to a sniper to a spartan laser. It's still random, unskilled, luck-based bullshit.

Here's an idea: I'm better than you. I've learned the maps, I know where the weapons spawn, and I have fought off several players for the right to pick up this power weapon and reap the benefits of it. My skill has earned me an advantage.

Crazy fucking logic, I know, making players actually learn the game to succeed at it.

We've often disagreed on certain aspects regarding Reach in the past, most notably bloom, but this post is just truth.

If Spartan Ops plays anything like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, it'll play very well. Small, focused maps with randomised objectives and locations with a nice array of enemies.
I'd imagine ME3 multiplayer is closer to Firefight than Spartan Ops, from what I gathered in the cover story anyway. It sounds like Spartan Ops are closer to Spec Ops from MW, but with a more cohesive narrative stitching them together.

Frankie has stated that there will be a somewhat predictable spawning of weapons. I think there is still much to be said about it before I say it's THE WORST IDEA EVAR as you have ;)

Fracas

#fuckonami
Why do so many of you guys want Forge gone? Or are you just wanting it revamped? As someone said before, the magazine said the "training simulation" could create any environment for training exercises. I'm probably reading into it a bit much, but I wonder if that means Forge tools become a lot more in-depth. If so, I can't wait to see some community maps.

I'd imagine ME3 multiplayer is closer to Firefight than Spartan Ops, from what I gathered in the cover story anyway. It sounds like Spartan Ops are closer to Spec Ops from MW, but with a more cohesive narrative stitching them together.

Yeah, I agree. I realised that 'small, focused maps' won't really play into Halo 4 for this kinda thing.

Drop in drop out for social was something that needed to be in there since Halo 2. Don't know why people like the idea of dealing with lopsided BS that ends up happening a lot. Maybe they should make a 1 vs 4 or asymmetrical teams playlist for people who apparently like that. So you might get added into a match near the end? Oh well. Stick around post-game and stick with the group that'll slowly keep getting refreshed by people leaving and others joining in.

Why do so many of you guys want Forge gone? Or are you just wanting it revamped? As someone said before, the magazine said the "training simulation" could create any environment for training exercises. I'm probably reading into it a bit much, but I wonder if that means Forge tools become a lot more in-depth. If so, I can't wait to see some community maps.
I want Forge gone as a map maker, because that is clearly not what it should be made to do. Tweaking around existing maps though? I'm all for it. Just avoid another Forge World disaster.

I don't want to play community maps in matchmaking is all.

As Ricken just said, Forge is a map editor, and is being passed off as a map creator.

Drop in drop out for social was something that needed to be in there since Halo 2. Don't know why people like the idea of dealing with lopsided BS that ends up happening a lot. Maybe they should make a 1 vs 4 or asymmetrical teams playlist for people who apparently like that. So you might get added into a match near the end? Oh well. Stick around post-game and stick with the group that'll slowly keep getting refreshed by people leaving and others joining in.

That's what people don't want though, to jump into matchmaking and get put into the middle of a lopsided beatdown of a game.

I think I like the idea of loadouts. We can have our BRs and DMRs and fyrewulf and all the BKs can have their ARs.

Also, who won EGL? I missed it during Easter festivities.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Drop in drop out for social was something that needed to be in there since Halo 2. Don't know why people like the idea of dealing with lopsided BS that ends up happening more often than not. Maybe they should make a 1 vs 4 or asymmetrical teams playlist for people who apparently like that. So you might get added into a match near the end? Oh well. Stick around post-game and stick with the group that'll slowly keep getting refreshed by people leaving and others joining in.

That's the only problem I really have with drop in/drop out. I've experienced many times in BF3 where I join a game that's actually over and in the post game screen. That game shouldn't count on my stats, but it does. A possible solution for Halo 4 DIDO could to be the first game you matchmake into not count on your service record (gameplay stats like kills/headshots/etc would stay, just not the win/loss). That could be a little extreme though. Maybe after a certain time has passed in a match, no one can matchmake into it.

Trey

As Ricken just said, Forge is a map editor, and is being passed off as a map creator.

It's still a map editor. And whether you like the maps in matchmaking or not, Forge is still a huge success within the community. I don't think it's in Halo's best interest to get rid of it entirely. What you all want is much more achievable if 343 just didn't put Forge maps into rotation.

So then you're not for an even playing field.

That's the only problem I really have with drop in/drop out. I've experienced many times in BF3 where I join a game that's actually over and in the post game screen. That game shouldn't count on my stats, but it does. A possible solution for Halo 4 DIDO could to be the first game you matchmake into not count on your service record (gameplay stats like kills/headshots/etc would stay, just not the win/loss). That could be a little extreme though. Maybe after a certain time has passed in a match, no one can matchmake into it.
People who really care about their stats is problematic since it's been integrated into the online aspect of the series from the start. How do you resolve that? Honestly, I don't know, but I also don't care what my numbers on some website are. I just want to avoid the frustration of constantly having asymmetrical team counts.

Why? So that the people on the winning end of a lop-sided beatdown can have more points?
It's not lopsided if the holes in the teams are being filled. I'll gladly take that over the lopsided beatdown of constantly having teams with less players than the other with nothing that can be done about that in-game.

So everything multiplayer is on the infinity, does that mean we have a program to make simulations on the holo-deck instead of forge? A real map editor would be...amazing.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I want Forge gone as a map maker, because that is clearly not what it should be made to do. Tweaking around existing maps though? I'm all for it. Just avoid another Forge World disaster.

I don't want to play community maps in matchmaking is all.

I agree, Forge maps should not be in MM. Or they should just be put into Action Sack.
I still want Forge to stick around though. Without it, minigames would die, and I also like to play around on maps I made with my friends.

Between skilled and unskilled players? No, I think players that put the time and energy into learning a game's mechanics and the nuances, learning the maps and key locations of them, should be inherently rewarded for their investment.

An even playing field exists when the announcer says 'Slayer' or whatever gametype you prefer. At that moment, every player on the map starts out with the same weapons (or weapons of similar worth), and EARNS the right to use the more specialized or powerful weapons through skill, knowledge, and everything else that comes with experience.

Fracas

#fuckonami

You can't factor individual skill into what makes an even playing field. There are plenty of players out there that don't do well no matter what weapons or augmentations you give them.
Players that are better than others shouldn't be punished by the possibility of a random stumbling onto a power weapon.

Overdoziz

Banned
Forge maps should not be in any competitive playlists. There should be a special playlist dedicated to Forge maps. If one of those maps becomes incredibly loved you can consider it for other playlists too.

Also: Custom Search

Fracas

#fuckonami
Forge maps should not be in any competitive playlists. There should be a special playlist dedicated to Forge maps. If one of those maps becomes incredibly loved you can consider it for other playlists too.

Psh, if you want custom game browsing, go to your recently played list and join in some random's custom game and troll 'em.

Or at least, that's what I've been doing, lol.

Trey

Community Playlist. Make it social but give it the regular gamut of competitive playlist gametypes. Only way to proof it for consideration of being with the big boys.

Playing Halo 3 SP for the first time in AGES, forgot how much fun it was.

Vehicles encounters in that game >

Top Bottom