• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Madureira doesn't want Darksiders II to be compared to Zelda.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/36150/darksiders-2-dont-compare-it-to-zelda/
1 min video interview inside.

Joe Madureira, Creative Director of Darksiders 2, is hoping that his new Wii U game doesn't get compared to The Legend Of Zelda this time.

With its dungeon-based gameplay, the original Darksiders was often compared with the Legend Of Zelda games. Indeed, we even called the forthcoming sequel 'Zelda in hell' in our Darksiders 2 Wii U preview.

However, despite being a Zelda fan, Joe Mad is hoping that Darksiders 2 Wii U is only compared to the first Darksiders game this time.

"I'll be curious to see who we're compared to this time, but the only game we want to be compared to is the original Darksiders," Madureira told ONM. "We want people to say it's like the first one but 10 times bigger and better."

Interesting thing to also note is ONM will have a story on Darksiders II in their March issue, which goes out in 2 days. I hope they talk about the Wii U version.

He'd also like to make a Legend of Zelda comic if he could.

This is like when certain bands don't want to be pigeon-holed into genres or comparisons, like Interpol with Joy Division.

It's still going to get compared to Zelda mostly, especially when you consider how much of the conversation around the game when it first game out was how much it was like Zelda.

So the conversation may have something to with how it is compared to the first one, but there's also going to be a lot of conversation around if it is more or less like Zelda than the first one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If Darksiders 2 were not comparable to Zelda I would actually be genuinely disappointed.

I wonder if the portal gun is back.

This time, there's this paint, right, and it has amazing surface altering properties... wait, stop me if you've heard this one before.

I really hope the sequel wears its influences on its sleeve as well as the first game does. Joe doesn't want the comparisons but really, being compared to Zelda isn't a problem. It's the series 'thing', if anything.

Why not? It's not like being compared to CoD where people will just go buy CoD instead, there will be at least five years or so before we see a new Zelda and its fine if there are games to fill that niche until then.

Khezu

Fine, I'll compare it to sphinx and cursed mummy instead.

Why not? It's not like being compared to CoD where people will just go buy CoD instead, there will be at least five years or so before we see a new Zelda and its fine if there are games to fill that niche until then.

From the sound of it, I don't think he means it like that. I think he wants it to be compared to the first so people noticed the improvements they have made, rather then just directly compare it to any random game, if that makes any sense.

If Darksiders 2 were not comparable to Zelda I would actually be genuinely disappointed.

I don't think that he's saying that it won't be comparable, it just seems like he wants people to give them feedback about how it compares to the original instead of just comparing it to a game that they had no input in.

Good, because it was a really pale and hollow imitation of that formula.

Darksiders II on the other hand, really seems to be it's own beast.

JJD

Well if he had released his game 26 years ago it was Zelda that was going to be compared to Darksiders 1!

Fredrik

To be compared to Zelda might be the best compliment you could get in gaming. Especially when the games are still unique enough so that you don't choose one over the other.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Too many people compared the first game to Zelda, too few compared it to Soul Reaver too.

So Darksiders 1 is like Zelda, but Darksiders 2 will be different from Zelda.

Therefore, Darksiders 2 is like Zelda 2. :p

...but I see his point, though. It would be healthy if people compared it to the first Darksiders for various reasons.

From the sounds of it Darksiders 2 will be changing the formula some, adding more RPG elements and loot. This should help further distance it from Zelda.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I thought the first was more of a pure action game than an adventure game, so I'd agree. Puzzles were very forgettable.

Liethe

The zelda comparisons were brought on by the devs themselves.

I mean, come on, it even had bomb flowers...

Darksiders to me does not even register as something of it's own. Just a collection of borrowed mechanics. Some zelda here, some god of war there... oh and the portals.. lest we forget.

Top Bottom