• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. Like the white. It agrees with the aluminum more than black does.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's not a fact at all. That BS argument about how having a black bezel makes the screen blend in/fade away more is just that, BS. You're still staring at a screen. Nothing changes. The things people convince themselves of baffles me.

Black an is admirable, handsome choice.

..just the idea of once color being objectively more functional than another. HAHA! Oh wow.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is there a multi-gesture for Safari that I'm not aware of that allows you to go back and forward on web pages by swiping like in Mac OS Lion Safari?

alekth

That's not a fact at all. That BS argument about how having a black bezel makes the screen blend in/fade away more is just that, BS. You're still staring at a screen. Nothing changes. The things people convince themselves of baffles me.

..just the idea of once color being objectively more functional than another. HAHA! Oh wow.

But black bars are annoying when they are very pronounced, and with widescreen video (which is the majority of the video nowadays) you get the black bars right next to the white bezel.

Alex

The video argument was invented by people who want to make themselves feel better that they bought the ugly edition.

mrkgoo

Ok, here's a question regarding iCLoud backups and the "PC-free"-ness of an iPad on iOS5.

As far as I know, iCloud backups do NOT backup imported photos... it backs up the camera roll (images taken on the iPad), but not ones you transfer in, say using the Camera Connection Kit.

So.....

What happens if you buy a new iPad and restore from iCloud backup? I guess you just lose all your photos?

You just have to have the photos somewhere else and reimport them?

mrkgoo

Ok, here's a question regarding iCLoud backups and the "PC-free"-ness of an iPad on iOS5.

As far as I know, iCloud backups do NOT backup imported photos... it backs up the camera roll (images taken on the iPad), but not ones you transfer in, say using the Camera Connection Kit.

So.....

What happens if you buy a new iPad and restore from iCloud backup? I guess you just lose all your photos?

You just have to have the photos somewhere else and reimport them?

Ok, looking at my parents iPad, where I have just imported ~ 1GB of photos, it looks like the next back up will incorporate this data, meaning it DOES backup imported images.

Which I guess is good, but it also means it will eat into their iCloud backup 5GB. So much fro PC-Free, or that 5GB would be enough for 'regular' people. I think people would like to import photos onto their PC-free iPad...

Not yet, maybe in iOS 6?

derp

How is that not true? It took two/five OS versions to get tabs in that browser (depending on which device you're using). This is tabs we're talbing about here, not some new revolutionary browser UI concept.

Tabs.

And now you're suggesting that we should wait for another OS update to get support for gestures, while you comment my post about Safari's UI with "derp".

Yeah, right.

mrkgoo

How is that not true? It took two/five OS versions to get tabs in that browser (depending on which device you're using). This is tabs we're talbing about here, not some new revolutionary browser UI concept.

Tabs.

And now you're suggesting that we should wait for another OS update to get support for gestures, while you comment my post about Safari's UI with "derp".

Yeah, right.

Maybe he was saying that Safari is derp.

Anyway, mobile safari had sort of 'tabs' in the multipage views, as it still is for iPhone. Yeah, they did reload, but they still did hold a tab-like structure (even with tabs, they do tend to reload on the original iPad, not as bad as it used to be, but way way worse than the newer iPads with more RAM).

But yeah, I too would like a 3-finger gesture to go back and forward in safari, a la Lion. It's bound to happen, right? I do the gesture anyway, since I'm so used to it.

Is there a multi-gesture for Safari that I'm not aware of that allows you to go back and forward on web pages by swiping like in Mac OS Lion Safari?

I find myself doing that also, expect iOS 6 to have it, apple will trot out that feature like its the greatest most inventive feature in mobile history

Cheebo

Banned
iOS keeps gaining OSX features each year, and now OSX keeps gaining iOS features each year. I wonder how long till they are basically the exact same OS.

LCfiner

iOS keeps gaining OSX features each year, and now OSX keeps gaining iOS features each year. I wonder how long till they are basically the exact same OS.

They're gaining features but the interfaces and hardware requirements are still wildly different. As they should be. The only possibility I see for a merger into exactly one OS is at a point where apple can scale the memory and hardware requirements from phone to desktop seamlessly.

So the user still has pointers and virtual memory and windows on the Mac and touch targets, no VM, and full screen apps on the phone. So we'd end up with the same scenario for the user as we have now but the OS is dynamically shifting depending on the hardware it's on.

The question is whether that work is easier for apple than just having two OS lines and integrating features when they make sense - and with their own timelines. I'm betting on the latter staying in place for, minimum, five more years. Probably even longer.

ibjCJXrl7SmIZm.jpg

Sometimes when I just see my iPad laying around I can't believe how fucking cool it is. Just got home and found it laying in my laundry basket.
Dat hemp belt

Mrbob

I joined the Ipad army yesterday. Going from a 3rd gen ipod touch to a 3rd gen Ipad, huge difference wow. I can now understand what people were talking about with the Retina screen on their iphones. Dat Ipad screen is pretty nice.

Good news is everything Retina supported looks great. Even most Iphone apps in 2X mode. However if it isn't Retina supported stuff looks a bit bad! Going to have to rebuy some non universal apps!

Love having Netflix, Crackle, Hulu, and HBO Go with me at all times. Hopefully Amazon can get their video market place on Ipad soon!

sruckus

=

Why do theaters and those with home theaters use dark colors and paint the ceiling black?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've watched video on a black iPad. It doesn't disappear or fadeaway. It looks exactly like the white iPad- but in black.

Even if there were some special bezel hiding magical properties of the color black, that still only applies to video watching and the iPad does a lot more than play videos. Hell, most the time my iPad is displaying web pages that are 84% pure white anyway. Black is a handsome choice, but the idea it's functionally better is nonsense.

Vyer

I joined the Ipad army yesterday. Going from a 3rd gen ipod touch to a 3rd gen Ipad, huge difference wow. I can now understand what people were talking about with the Retina screen on their iphones. Dat Ipad screen is pretty nice.

Good news is everything Retina supported looks great. Even most Iphone apps in 2X mode. However if it isn't Retina supported stuff looks a bit bad! Going to have to rebuy some non universal apps!

Love having Netflix, Crackle, Hulu, and HBO Go with me at all times. Hopefully Amazon can get their video market place on Ipad soon!

Yeah, a couple gen jump on these devices is pretty sizeable. I felt the same way when I went from the iPhone 3G to the 4.

coldfoot

Banned

Explain black borders around movie/projector screens, or the reason these exist only in black/dark colors and not white:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MO3JTO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The choice is clear:

ipadbw8.jpg

ipadbw7.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is it just my iPad or is the speaker on this really tinny sounding. I don't remember the ipad 1 and 2 being this low. Volume is turned up to to the highest setting. Even keyboard clicks sound kind of muted. I can sort of cup my hand around the speaker holes to amplify it a bit but that's pretty annoying to do and I'm not always holding the thing.

Tabs.

Yeah, right.
Missing a requested feature = lacking any intelligent and good UI design.

OK.

Sounds reasonable and smart.

I guess every browser ever is completely lacking in intelligent and good UI design.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Can I also just point out (again) that watching video is only one part of what you do with an iPad.

mrkgoo

Can I also just point out (again) that watching video is only one part of what you do with an iPad.

I know where you're coming from, but they do have a point. It,s like a painting or a photo...the absence or presence of a frame or border can change the aesthetic. Even in the above picture, the white iPad creates a frame for the view. One can simply be more appealing.

Having said that, I totally agree with you that one is not objectively better. It's a preference as to which you prefer. Sometimes a frame does look better...esp. one that sticks out and is seen.

Personal preference.

cackhyena

White is inferior.

]Is it just my iPad or is the speaker on this really tinny sounding.[/B] I don't remember the ipad 1 and 2 being this low. Volume is turned up to to the highest setting. Even keyboard clicks sound kind of muted. I can sort of cup my hand around the speaker holes to amplify it a bit but that's pretty annoying to do and I'm not always holding the thing.

Might be something wrong with yours. I think it sounds pretty damn good overall. I'd look into it.

coldfoot

Banned
Let's list all the TV's and Monitors with black/dark bezels compared to those with white bezels and the choice is abundantly clear. Look at all the macs except for the air and they all have black bezels, and the only reason air doesn't have it is lack of room, and it's why products like this exist for the air.

While video viewing is not the only thing you do on an ipad, it's an important use case, and the black bezel is not detrimental to the other tasks you do on the ipad anyway. However, the white bezel is a detrimental factor in watching videos.

In the pictures I posted, you can be immersed in the movie that's being showed on the ipad given the typical ipad viewing distance of 15 inches. You can never be immersed in video on the white ipad.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand this. But I don't want to drag this out because even I'm bored of it already.

Missing a requested feature = lacking any intelligent and good UI design.

OK.

Sounds reasonable and smart.

I guess every browser ever is completely lacking in intelligent and good UI design.

Having to wait two years for a tab bar is not stupid? Are you kidding me? And yes, the lack of optional gesture support on a 10" touchscreen device is downright stupid. Why do you think most third party browsers got them? Guess people don't really want them! And no, I can't think of one single good thing in Safari's UI.

It looks like some people really have to defend every shit Apple does.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Having to wait two years for a tab bar is not stupid? Are you kidding me? And yes, the lack of optional gesture support on a 10" touchscreen device is downright stupid. Why do you think most third party browsers got them? Guess people don't really want them! And no, I can't think of one single good thing in Safari's UI.

In Apple's defense I don't think the stock Android browser got tabs until Honeycomb? (I could be wrong but my Nook running Gingerbread didn't have it). Sadly the stock browsers are usually way behind the third party ones.

Quick

Banned
I get the argument with black vs. white, and as detailed an explanation as people are giving about it, but in the end...

harrisonfordwhogivesashit.gif

It's all personal preference, and there's no use arguing over it because of that.

Kal

Just got a new iPad today - 64GB + 4G

First impressions:

The screen is amazing! Simply beautiful! The iPad is a lot heavier than I thought it would be and typing feels awkward but I guess it will get better with time. I think I will need a case with a stand to use it comfortably on my lap. Does anyone know where I can get this in the UK? http://www.outfityours.com/incase-book-jacket-select-for-ipad-2-3-black/

Also what are apps are essential? So far I've only downloaded Angry Birds, Google Earth and iBooks. Thank you.

cackhyena

Just got a new iPad today - 64GB + 4G

First impressions:

The screen is amazing! Simply beautiful! The iPad is a lot heavier than I thought it would be and typing feels awkward but I guess it will get better with time. I think I will need a case with a stand to use it comfortably on my lap. Does anyone know where I can get this in the UK? http://www.outfityours.com/incase-book-jacket-select-for-ipad-2-3-black/

Also what are apps are essential? So far I've only downloaded Angry Birds, Google Earth and iBooks. Thank you.

What?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It is pretty heavy. That's probably my one main complaint.

Just because something doesn't incorporate a feature you want doesn't mean it's totally and completely lacking in good design, your statement was hyperbolic and I'm honestly shocked that you're going to such nonsensical lengths (complaining about a fucking feature that was added months ago?) to try and support it.

Also, a Windows enthusiast complaining about lack of intelligent design and UI is just rich.

Just because something doesn't incorporate a feature you want doesn't mean it's totally and completely lacking in good design, your statement was hyperbolic and I'm honestly shocked that you're going to such nonsensical lengths (complaining about a fucking feature that was added months ago?) to try and support it.

Also, a Windows enthusiast complaining about lack of intelligent design and UI is just rich.

Alright, name me something genuinely good or intelligent about Safari's UI.

And what makes you think I'm a Windows enthusiast?

Alright, name me something genuinely good or intelligent about Safari's UI.

And what makes you think I'm a Windows enthusiast?
Long-pressing the + tabs button giving you a list of recently closed tabs is pretty nifty.

You're not a Windows enthusiast? My bad then, I must've mistaken you for someone else.

Edit: Actually no, it's you. You've been very active in the Windows threads and I seem to recall you stating you prefer it over other OSes, so I just naturally assumed you were an enthusiast.

Long-pressing the + tabs button giving you a list of recently closed tabs is pretty nifty.

You're not a Windows enthusiast? My bad then, I must've mistaken you for someone else.

Edit: Actually no, it's you. You've been very active in the Windows threads and I seem to recall you stating you prefer it over other OSes, so I just naturally assumed you were an enthusiast.

That's nice. I'd probably more excited about that if I didn't use iCab for a year.

I'm a Windows Phone enthusiast and prefer it over an iPhone or Android phone. Windows 8 excites me as much as wards on my dick. At least get that right.

Top Bottom