• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

massoluk
(03-27-2012, 04:27 PM)

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

So I beat the game. It was a long wait, and I even doubted the game at some points... but.

I can say without a doubt that is the best handheld game i've ever played. Yes it has surpassed even the all powerful DS games of old for me, its just THAT good. I'm still reeling, and there are a couple of things I have to do, but damn the game is too good.

Strong words. I'm not sure I'd say it is better than every DS games out there (Ouendan is still no.1 for me), but I would say that in term of production value, extra, and amount of contents, this game blew everything away by a country mile.
Sadist
(03-27-2012, 04:29 PM)
Okay this is stupid.

Chapter 19

At a certain point at the tower you have to cross some paths with gusts of wind trying to blow you off. I can't seem to cross the last one. Help please :(
daffy
(03-27-2012, 04:31 PM)

Originally Posted by :Motorbass

Seems like the controls are only too hard for Hardcore gamers and reviewers.

Pretty much. I mean there's no way those other people could have problems.. I just went to casualgamer.com and they gave it a perfect 10.
Riposte
(03-27-2012, 04:32 PM)
Ordered this. Hope it is not too easy. Sakurai games tend to be some of the most babying games around.
weeaboo
(03-27-2012, 04:33 PM)
This game is FUCKING AMAZING, Sakurai delivers again
Sadist
(03-27-2012, 04:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Riposte

Ordered this. Hope it is not too easy. Sakurai games tend to be some of the most babying games around.

You won't be dissapointed :)
Robin64
(03-27-2012, 04:34 PM)

It's not. Oh man, it's really not.

*whimpers in the corner*
zroid
(03-27-2012, 04:34 PM)

Originally Posted by daffy

Pretty much. I mean there's no way those other people could have problems.. I just went to casualgamer.com and they gave it a perfect 10.

everyone's just been too coddled by dual analogue lately, and can't get into the zone necessary to get kills in this game.
Busaiku
(03-27-2012, 04:35 PM)

It'll be easy if you play it on 5.0 or less.
StAidan
(03-27-2012, 04:37 PM)
Ugh. Not sure I cared much for chapter 5.

I found some parts of the environment hard to interpret, visually speaking. Fell down bottomless chasms a number of times. Eventually figured out I should be playing with the 3D turned up, but even that didn't solve it completely.

Pandora/Dark Pit dialog was entertaining, though.
Tom_Cody
(03-27-2012, 04:37 PM)

Originally Posted by UncleSporky

I am pretty sure there are no super secret types.

http://shinparu.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/%E...5907e65e5d959d

Err, I don't think that answers my question, though I may just not be understanding the translation.

Do weapon star ratings refer to the strength of the weapon relative to other weapons of that type (e.g. all palms) or of that specific weapon (e.g. pudgy palms specifically)?
Disguises
(03-27-2012, 04:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Tom_Cody

Err, I don't think that answers my question, though I may just not be understanding the translation.

Do weapon star ratings refer to the strength of the weapon relative to other weapons of that type (e.g. all palms) or of that specific weapon (e.g. pudgy palms specifically)?

Unique to that specific weapon.
massoluk

This game makes me question my masculinity.
Axelstream

Originally Posted by Sadist

Okay this is stupid.

Chapter 19

At a certain point at the tower you have to cross some paths with gusts of wind trying to blow you off. I can't seem to cross the last one. Help please :(

I don't think it's anything more complex than standing at the end closest to the wind's source and then dashing. You can dash against it in order to gain a little leverage and aim yourself a bit better toward the platform on the other side of the wind, if that helps any.
Tom_Cody
(03-27-2012, 04:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Disguises

Wow. Weapon fusing just became that much more confusing.
UncleSporky
(03-27-2012, 04:40 PM)

Yeah, I changed the person I was quoting to the other guy who asked a more relevant question. :) But it's still partly relevant...

Basically it says that stars increase the weapon's percentage of its original power. Every weapon has its own strength stat and stars increase that by a percent. Some weapons are better than others even among the same type.
Disguises
(03-27-2012, 04:41 PM)

Tell me about it! I had an awesome 5/5 star weapon, got bored of it and fused it into something with better abilities (but lost stars) and now I can't do the first level at 9.0 difficulty anymore :(.

I also have tons of weapons just sitting there waiting to be fused with the right weapon to retain the right abilities I want to pass down. :S (I would REALLY like to keep +6 defence, while also increasing the star power of the weapons)
ashbash159
(03-27-2012, 04:43 PM)
Chapter 5. I had no idea.
Dr.Palutena
(03-27-2012, 04:49 PM)
I had no self control and finished the game in basically one sitting, so i'm finding it hard to compose my thoughts but all i can say is wow. probably the best cast/dialogue I've had the pleasure of listening to in a videogame since ...well last year but thats not the point. The controls weren't nearly as "bad" as people had me expecting and the plot... it was basically like a a saturday morning cartoon / anime but with every chapter/"episode" being more bigger and surprising than the last. The gameplay , weapon options and betting system is top notch as well.
ElectricBlanketFire
Too early for flapjacks?
(03-27-2012, 04:50 PM)

zroid
(03-27-2012, 04:51 PM)
are the spotpass weapon gems set in stone (so to speak) or delivered randomly? I got a viper blade 218, insight staff 264, and standard orbitars 191 on the first 3 days.
The_Darkest_Red
(03-27-2012, 04:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Disguises

Oh my... wow. This is mind-blowing.
Karsticles

Originally Posted by :Motorbass

Seems like the controls are only too hard for Hardcore gamers and reviewers.

It is a bit difficult if you're left-handed.

Otherwise, I agree entirely. My wife played for the first time last night and did just fine. I thought to myself: "My wife is better at videogames than Jim Sterling." Aw yeah!
Last edited by Karsticles; 03-27-2012 at 05:16 PM.
JazzmanZ

hahahahahaha.

Playing the hardest difficulty is like pulling out your own intestines and letting them be feast upon by hungry tigers
Sadist
(03-27-2012, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Axelstream

I don't think it's anything more complex than standing at the end closest to the wind's source and then dashing. You can dash against it in order to gain a little leverage and aim yourself a bit better toward the platform on the other side of the wind, if that helps any.

Got it allready :P

Chapter 19 is a bit long for a handheld game though.
ElectricBlanketFire
Too early for flapjacks?
(03-27-2012, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Karsticles

It is a bit difficult if you're left-handed.

Otherwise, I agree entirely. My wife played for the first time last night and did just fine. I thought to myself: "My wife is better at videogames than Jim Sterling." Aw yeah!

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the difficulty of the game, not the controls.

Go ahead, pour all your hearts in the fiend's cauldron. Slide it up to 9. What's the worst that can happen.

*smirk*
ShineALight
(03-27-2012, 04:57 PM)
Just added myself to the Google doc. My friendcode is 1719-3175-9888. Please message me with yours if you want to play!
Last edited by ShineALight; 03-27-2012 at 05:00 PM.
The_Darkest_Red
(03-27-2012, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by JazzmanZ

hahahahahaha.

Playing the hardest difficulty is like pulling out your own intestines and letting them be feast upon by hungry tigers

The cool thing about making a game with this much variability in difficulty is that you can appease the hardcore fans by making the hardest difficulty absolutely ridiculous and no one can get upset about it.
jrDev
(03-27-2012, 05:02 PM)
Hey guys, I preordered this but haven't picked up from GameStop yet. For the classic 3d game, does a code to download on shop print out on the receipt?
Maxrunner
(03-27-2012, 05:03 PM)
Is this game worth 27??
Sinthetic
(03-27-2012, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Maxrunner

Is this game worth 27??

Worth 37.
WallJump
Banned
(03-27-2012, 05:11 PM)

When you hit your first opportunity to level select, set your intensity to 9.0. That'll give you an inkling of an idea of what you're in for.

Maybe the best part about this game is that it's as hard as you want it to be. If you want an angelic playful romp through the magical forests and cities of ancient happyland, set it to 2.0 or 1.0 (or even 0.0!). If you want a balls-in-a-blender white-knuckle slugfest against hordes of the undead and some seriousy pissed-off bosses, set it to 9.0 or 10.0, you masochist.

And for most of us, somewhere in between is that sweet spot where you might make it through the level without dying, but the boss will probably kill you once until you figure out its attacks. Mine is at about 6 or 7 now.
massoluk
(03-27-2012, 05:16 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Darkest_Red

The cool thing about making a game with this much variability in difficulty is that you can appease the hardcore fans by making the hardest difficulty absolutely ridiculous and no one can get upset about it.

The ingenious design is the ample amounts of check point and the way difficulty adjusted down when you lose your life, and adjusted up when you clear a level. Eventually, everyone can finish the game, and everyone will find the sweetspot in difficulty level. Few frustrations due to difficulty or deaths, just challenges. No whining that the game is too easy.

This is something I hope every goddamn game copy from now on when possible.
Karsticles
(03-27-2012, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by ElectricBlanketFire

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the difficulty of the game, not the controls.

Go ahead, pour all your hearts in the fiend's cauldron. Slide it up to 9. What's the worst that can happen.

*smirk*

Oops, I quoted the wrong person. That post was supposed to be about the controls in response to controls, haha. Thanks for noticing that.

I did take level 1 to Intensity 9, and I died. Beat it on 8, though. I am trying to make a better weapon for single player.
Neiteio
(03-27-2012, 05:26 PM)
Has anyone even managed to beat a level on 9.0 difficulty yet? I'm curious. Game dishes out the hurt when you ask it to. Enemies everywhere!

Also, to the person asking earlier what everyone means by a "trilogy's worth of content":. The campaign is EPIC. Like, you really haven't seen the half of it if watched any of the pre-release media. It keeps going and going and going. I always crack up everytime someone in here goes, "OH MAN, CHAPTER SUCH-AND-SUCH WAS AWESOME!" I smile and think, "They're just starting the game, but they probably think they're far along. Just wait until they see what happens later." :)

On another note, a warning: You can drop idol eggs and they will break. I dropped a high-value green egg. Feels bad mang. :(
PK Gaming
(03-27-2012, 05:29 PM)
Hey guys, i've got a cool neat little gift you want it, especially for those who want to get Palutena's bow, Pit's signature weapon.. Check out the spoilers below. They're of a mild nature, so accidentally reading this won't be that bad at all.

Clear chapter 24 within 11 minutes. My tips are as follows
-Set the intensity to 0.0
-Use claws since they increase Pit's running speed. Pray that you have any claws that increase speed
-Stock up on the Tireleness and Lightweight powers. Trust me, you'll need them.
ryushe
(03-27-2012, 05:31 PM)
I'm still getting worked like an 8 hour shift at 5.0 intensity. :/
Last edited by ryushe; 03-27-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Busaiku
(03-27-2012, 05:32 PM)
I beat Chapter 1 at 9.0!
I was pretty close to beating Chapter 2 as well, but not quite.

9.0 is definitely not even close to being as hard as Sin & Punishment Star Successor on Hard.
Though it definitely takes longer since we can't just respawn.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(03-27-2012, 05:36 PM)
THIS GAME.
Yeah, finally started playing it. And I even found a way to play it well without the stand. It's awesome! Flying sections are mindblowing. And ground sections are very VERY fun.

But the script is top notch. Palutena best troll character of the year.

Now I'm stopping a bit. After Chapter 5, you need to just to realize the fuck have you played :lol
OmegaZero
(03-27-2012, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Neiteio

Has anyone even managed to beat a level on 9.0 difficulty yet? I'm curious. Game dishes out the hurt when you ask it to. Enemies everywhere!

Yeah, I've beaten everything up to Chapter 14.
It isn't really as hard as Sin and Punishment 2, but the difficulty is still satisfying.

EDIT: I suppose if you're good with clubs, then you'll have an easier time beating 9.0 since they crush the Air Battle sections. I only use them on multiplayer, but just throwing it out there if anyone wants a slightly easier way to beat 9.0 chapters.
Busaiku
(03-27-2012, 05:45 PM)
I think Orbitars are also pretty good for Air Battles.
But they're horrible on the Ground Battles.
UncleSporky
(03-27-2012, 05:46 PM)
I've wondered about that. Clubs have terrible ranged when on foot. How do they even work in the air?
Gospel
Parmesan et Romano
(03-27-2012, 05:47 PM)

Fusing? This stuff is full-on breeding, man.
Prinny
(03-27-2012, 05:48 PM)
The air battles are way too hard on 8.0-9.0 if I'm using the face buttons to move.
I guess I'll have to destroy my poor touch screen after all :(
Sadist
(03-27-2012, 05:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Prinny

The air battles are way too hard on 8.0-9.0 if I'm using the face buttons to move.

Pssst buy a screenprotector. Worth it!
Neiteio
(03-27-2012, 05:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Prinny

Dude, your touchscreen is designd to take tons of abuse. :) I played vigorously on my DS touchscreen and it never got a scratch. And I've played extensively on the 3DS touchscreen with Steel Diver and now Kid Icarus, and again, no scratches. I'm not using a screen protector, either. It works fine. :)

On a side note, after replaying the first third of the game, I'm confident saying that my conclusion that this is one of my favorite Nintendo games ever is NOT post-release hype. Whether it dethrones my all-time favorite, Majora's Mask, is hard to say, because this game is so immediately gratifying while MM is more of a slow-burn, so it's hard to compare... They're such different games. Uprising is definitely in my Top Five Nintendo Games, though.
SuperDowns
(03-27-2012, 05:57 PM)
I have to say: Do Not Listen to Reviewers.

Once you get those awkward controls down, what you have here is an amazingly deep and enjoyable game. My expectations were blown away, the amount of innovation in a handheld game is surprising. And the multiplayer for a handheld game that was not an after-thought is incredibly refreshing, especially since single player and multiplayer impact each other.

But seriously, you get:

Single-Player Campaign that I think has more production value than most Wii games in terms of respective graphics and content. Ramping up your intensity and using hearts to get more hearts or to get through Intensity doors is great.

Crafting System: the whole weapon system is great, combining weapons is addictive, buying new one from the store that can sometimes be on sale for a discount. Getting street pass weapon gems for further customize.

Powers: The whole tetrising the best set of powers together is fun and can take some time to find the best combinations.

Treasure Hunt: I love that Sakurai took that Glass Board from Brawl and made it actually useful. Going for specific achievements to gain weapons/hearts/powers/idols (who cares about the idols though) is an awesome idea.

Then of course the Multiplayer: Not everyone will get into this, but those who do will love it. It is a lot of fun, given a good connection, you can pass hours doing Free-for-All or Light vs. Dark. Getting more hearts, more weapons, powers, etc... and then using that in Single player and vice versa. I love this trend of Online Multiplayer affecting Single Player like Mass Effect 3.

Overall this game is an achievement. My only hope is that if they could just wrangle in the controls and give it up to Wii U, this could be a huge series.
Busaiku
(03-27-2012, 05:58 PM)
Seriously, I don't get why people think their Touchscreen will die from something like this.
As long as you're not using enough force to bash someone's face in while holding your Stylus, the screen won't get any marks.

Originally Posted by SuperDowns

Once you get those awkward controls down, what you have here is an amazingly deep and enjoyable game.

That's what reviewers are saying though.
Ragus
(03-27-2012, 05:58 PM)
I'm curious, if weapon stats are generated at the same moment we find a chest, or at the end of chapter. Let's say that I'm playing on 6.0 and I find a nice set of Claws. During the boss fight, I lose and difficulty drops down to 4.5 but I still get the claws from the mid of the chapter.

I'm not even sure how to check it.
Vyse The Legend
Wiser than thou
(03-27-2012, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Busaiku

I beat Chapter 1 at 9.0!
I was pretty close to beating Chapter 2 as well, but not quite.

9.0 is definitely not even close to being as hard as Sin & Punishment Star Successor on Hard.
Though it definitely takes longer since we can't just respawn.

Well, you're talking about Chapter 1, and you need to beat Intensity 9 on one life, otherwise it drops.

Yeah, that's going to be a real bitch on later levels.