• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had my neighbor try to knock down my door and threaten to kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

This thread is now about armchair home-defense. It's like Home Alone but with guns!

kevin-mcallister-battle-plan-home-alone-map-wet-bandits.jpg

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
If everybody had guns, what would've stopped the crazy guy from having one?
Having guns is just making anything a bigger problem.
Guns are the great equalizer. I'd much rather face off against someone breaking into my home gun vs gun than bat vs bat for example. You don't need to be physically imposing or good in a fight to win with a gun.

Digishine

Banned
you should take as much as possible proof and picture's of the damage he did even when he's coming back (I hope he won't do it again but there still that chance)

Raonak

Banned
Ya, actually I shouldn't say I wouldn't feel any remorse whatsoever. Obviously you don't know how you would react to actually killing someone in self defense, especially if they have legitimate mental problems, but when someone gets into my house after breaking my door down, there will be no hesitation whatsoever. I'll deal with the mental aspect of it after the fact. Hopefully I will never ever have to face a situation like that, but if I do, I sure as hell will not allow myself to be victimized by an intruder in my own house.

I don't get it seems awfully extreme to jump straight to a firearm. Why not a tazer or something like that? I you gotta assume that everyone has a gun. fuck arms races.

--
Anyways, OP watch some home alone and booby trap your house. Luckly your entrance is a perfect place to trap someone. Actually, something humourous would be to put nail a metal panel on your stairs like in a 90 degrees angle. make it slippery with oil or something. and watch as your neighbour has no way to get up your stairs. just sit at the top of your stairs with your camera and a trollface. then upload the video to yt.

bill0527

I feel ya OP.

Fucking tired of neighbors fucking with me when I don't do shit to ask for it.

I went and got myself a German Shepherd puppie last January that I'm raising - and I'm gonna teach him the 'kill' command.

I don't know what's up with people these days. I think people are just going crazy. I've dealt with more neighborhood bullshit in the last year than I've dealt with in the previous 10 years - combined.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
I don't get it seems awfully extreme to jump straight to a firearm. Why not a tazer or something like that? I you gotta assume that everyone has a gun. fuck arms races.

--
Anyways, OP watch some home alone and booby trap your house. Luckly your entrance is a perfect place to trap someone. Actually, something humourous would be to put nail a metal panel on your stairs. make it slippery with oil or something. and watch as your neighbour has no way to get up your stairs.
I don't own a tazer and I don't have any experience with them, but I'm pretty sure you only get one shot with them and that's it. You have to actually retract the electrodes to reload it which takes a lot of time (I could be wrong on this, maybe someone knows?). What if you miss? What if the guy is wearing a thick leather jacket and the taser has no effect? What if he's high on pcp or some shit and the taser doesn't even drop him? No way I'm betting my life on something that might not even work and takes forever to reload. If the guy doesn't want to face potential death he shouldn't break my fucking door down. I sure as hell don't want to ever kill someone, but I have every right to defend myself with lethal force in my own house.

GloveSlap

I'm not trying to make you more paranoid, but its going to suck leaving your house for a while. First you have the possibility of him fucking with you when you are out side, but besides that you have to worry about him robbing your house while you are gone.

Ashhong

Sorry to hear that, OP.

Had a pretty crazy sunday as well.

Got a stopping ticket on an empty 4 way intersection at a local forest park at 6 pm because I didn't stop long enough from a young cop who's "trying to save the lives of the citizens".

Fuck cops.

Damn dude, lets hear more about this, fuck the OP! This sounds serious.

(._.)

Banned
god I hate crackheads so much. this guy needs to get teh shit beat out of him. police officers also need to be fired for not taking their jobs seriously.

reggie

Banned
Maybe I should setup a live stream in the lounge room when I leave for court today? Dumb idea? Good idea? Nothing (hopefully) will probably happen, but I'm thinking it's better safe than sorry.

Maybe I should setup a live stream in the lounge room when I leave for court today? Dumb idea? Good idea? Nothing (hopefully) will probably happen, but I'm thinking it's better safe than sorry.

Do it. It will be a record of some sort. I think You should install security camera in that corridor asap too.

ckohler

I was bored so I did some CSI style "enhancing" of the audio from your video, making it much easier to listen to and his voice a bit clearer. The dude still mumbles a lot, though. At least now you can listen without blowing your ears out every time he bangs the door.

DOWNLOAD ENHANCED AUDIO - M4A (6.5MB)

If you have trouble downloading, right click and save. Then open it in iTunes or something.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Great idea! Nothing will probably happen as you say, but what could it hurt? You might get some great video for all of us to enjoy! Hope everything works out for you OP. I would hate to have that guy for a neighbor. The way the police treated you is disgusting. Get yourself some protection at the very least. Pepper spray and a cricket bat or whatever blunt instruments are readily available to you. Good luck!

paul187

Yeah OP, please move after this.

It might not be this year, or the next, but this psycho will be back. For your own safety get the fuck out of there as soon as you can. Hope you have the means to do so.

reggie

Banned
I was bored so I did some CSI style "enhancing" of the audio from your video, making it much easier to listen to and his voice a bit clearer. The dude still mumbles a lot, though. At least now you can listen without blowing your ears out every time he bangs the door.

If you have trouble downloading, right click and save. Then open it in iTunes or something.

Added to OP, thanks.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Call up some Aussie GAFers and beat the guy up in self defense when he comes again, apparently they have really lax laws, shouldn't get you any trouble

OP, pay for my plane ticket and provide me with lodging for exactly 3 days and 4 nights. By lodging I simply mean anything that can shelter me from the elements and a blanket. I will also need 6 feet of rope, an easily malleable yet thick paperclip, and 1 roll of paper towels of great tensile strength. I will do my work during the night, when all living things are calm and the sea whispers it's favors towards the moon. You will never see or hear from me again. But in the unlikely event that you need me for something else I will find you in that moment, for while we are at the whims of fate, chaos is simply an obfuscation of a more complex form of order.

This topic is so long and I am only a few hundred posts in.

I watched the video and I heard him at one point say something along the lines of:

"fat fuck . . . who do you think you are . . .talking to me like a person"

Is this some sort of hate crime? Maybe you can use this in court.

RagnarokX

Really the most annoying thing is how the cops knock on the door without announcing themselves and then say "If you're not going to come out, stop calling us."

This topic is so long and I am only a few hundred posts in.

I watched the video and I heard him at one point say something along the lines of:

"fat fuck . . . who do you think you are . . .talking to me like a person"

Is this some sort of hate crime? Maybe you can use this in court.

It's more like "Talk to me like a person with my simple feelings. I'm a man."

Well, it is extreme, but so is being chopped to little pieces by a crazy person. Even police tasers aren't always enough to take someone down, adrenaline and drugs can keep your body going strong. And police tasers are stronger than those available to the public. And tasers can actually be illegal in some areas funny enough. There's no missing or getting back up with a 12 gauge. It's not something to be taken lightly, but if you feel your life is in danger, you do it. No warning shots, no shooting to disarm, you shoot to kill and live to see another day.

In no way am I saying you should place the gun against the door and fire away when the crazy person is banging on your door. At that point I would yell at them to tell them the police have been called and I am armed. Once someone is in your house though, there are no warning shots. And if you have to assume that everyone has a gun, and you don't, where does that put you on the theoretical food chain?

Plus, what the fuck are you going to do when the zombie apocalypse comes? Be walker food, that's what.

noah111

Still Alive

Nice job. This is almost more terrifying than the video.

next time he knocks on your door set up a live stream with your cam and then open the door.

Give gaf the contact number for the local police and we'll make sure to call if things get too out of control.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
After listening to the cleaned up audio, it really sounds like the guy was mistaking you for someone else. He was probably so fucked up that he didn't realize he had the wrong apartment/house. That doesn't make it any less scary or potentially dangerous, but I doubt he has a beef with you personally. Probably just had no idea where he was. Really alarming how lightly the police treat a potentially dangerous situation. Pathetic actually. If the guy tries to break in again, and causes damage to your door/locks, I would get a lawyer and play him the audio and at least explore the option of bringing a lawsuit against the police department for negligence. Maybe getting a couple of them fired/reprimanded will wake them the fuck up.

noah111

Still Alive
After listening to the cleaned up audio, it really sounds like the guy was mistaking you for someone else. He was probably so fucked up that he didn't realize he had the wrong apartment/house. That doesn't make it any less scary or potentially dangerous, but I doubt he has a beef with you personally. Probably just had no idea where he was. Really alarming how lightly the police treat a potentially dangerous situation. Pathetic actually. If the guy tries to break in again, and causes damage to your door/locks, I would get a lawyer and play him the audio and at least explore the option of bringing a lawsuit against the police department for negligence. Maybe getting a couple of them fired/reprimanded will wake them the fuck up.
You would think so, but the guy comes back the next day and calls the locksmith a cunt, so it seems to be more than mistaken identity..

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
You would think so, but the guy comes back the next day and calls the locksmith a cunt, so it seems to be more than mistaken identity..
Oh I got messed up on the timeline. I didn't realize it was the next day. I thought they essentially took him in and released him a short time later and he came back the same day. Very strange that he would be acting this way toward someone he has had no previous contact with. Still hard to believe how the cops are treating this after they heard that recording. The guy sounds like a psycho. If this happened in the U.S., that guy would be under observation in a jail psych ward for at least a few days.

A guy I used to know before he became a complete meth head did pretty much the same thing. Pounded on someones door and threatened to kill him. Almost had the door broken down by the time they got there. He ended up in jail for almost 3 months iirc. Probably had drugs on him or something which added to his time, but still. They don't take stuff like that lightly over here.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
neighbor clearly calls OP a "macedonian king" at 1:02 in the "enhanced" audio.

all he wanted was to kneel before you and proclaim his allegiance to you as his sovereign ruler.

Verelios

neighbor clearly calls OP a "macedonian king" at 1:02 in the "enhanced" audio.

all he wanted was to kneel before you and proclaim his allegiance to you as his sovereign ruler.

I think it was that he didn't have the balls of a Macedonian King...or something. Have no idea what Macedonia has to do with this but okay.

dojokun

Banned
Police didn't identify themselves and chose to get impatient with you not opening the door... what the fuck do they expect if they dont identify themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom