• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some good TV shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

I just got netflix and I'm bored. What are some good shows?

I've already watched:

Lost
Burn Notice
Battlestar Galactica
Stargate SG:1 (Atlantis & Universe)
Prison Break (Absolutely worthless after Season 1)
Breaking Bad (Currently watching, but taking a break after pounding through all of season 1 in a week)

So, what are some good shows to watch?

Raptomex

I have no idea if any of these are on Netflix but wth.

Seinfeld
The Walking Dead
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Married...with Children

EktorPR

1- Game of Thrones: 1st season has 10 eps.; fantastic watch; gets you ready for season 2, which begins in April 1st.

2- Rome: Only 2 seasons; great character arcs and amazing production values.

3- Boardwalk Empire: Get past the sloooow build-up of the first season and you will LOVE IT. Again, amazing production values and character development.

All three have at least their first season out now on Blu-ray/DVD.

BeeDog

The Shield
The Wire
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Rome
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
Justified
Sons of Anarchy

In that order.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
There are lots of good suggestions in this thread, so I'll add one that hasn't been mentioned yet: Enlightened.

EDIT: And My So Called Life.

Mad men and six feet under. Just do it! If you want some more light hearted go Modern Family is a great choice too, so is always sunny in philly but the last few seasons has not really been as great as the first ones.

Ragus

Banned
thewire.jpg

Jme

Doctor Who
Arrested Development

Better of Ted
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret
Portlandia
Parks and Recreation
Firefly

These are all on Netflix.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
10 great shows:

Sopranos
Dexter
Deadwood
Rome
Boardwalk Empire
Mad Men
Downton Abbey
Sherlock
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones

(and don't hate me when you lose sight of friends and relatives because you're perpetually glued to your tv screen)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
On the second last episode of Mad Men season 1, why hasn't this show grabbed ahold of me yet? Or will it soon?

Mad Men is one of those shows that many people don't like, and some say they like because they feel like they should (because everyone else says they like!). It's definitely not for everyone. I watched the first 3 seasons but just didn't feel compelled to continue watching because... well, I just didn't care much.

harSon

Banned
I just recently rewatched Sleeper Cell for a thesis I'm writing, and I forgot just how good that show is. It's only two seasons long and sort of ends on a cliff hanger, but it's damned good despite having some themes that I find to be problematic.

Cdammen

Bah! Too much drama in this thread. Time for some comedy!

- Father Ted
- Black Books
- The Mighty Boosh (not on Netflix though, sorry)
- Spaced
- The I.T. Crowd
- Snuff Box (this is really weird / good)

Yeah, I like British comedy.

FnordChan

Let's see what Instant Watcher says is available.

Black Books - Black UK comedy about a hateful bookstore owner.
Black Adder - Black UK comedy about a conniving scoundrel throughout history. Start with Season Two's zany Elizabethan antics.
Doctor Who - For New School start with "Blink" and "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood" from Season Three. For Old School start with "Pyramids of Mars" and "City of Death".
Father Ted - UK comedy about priests. Yes, priests.
Ultraviolet - No relation to the movie whatsoever, this is the best TV show about vampires ever made, not least because it doesn't use the word "vampire" at all. Bonus: Idris "Stringer Bell" Elba!
Luther - Badass detective show starring Idris Elba. You need more Idris Elba in your life!
Sherlock - The awesome contemporary incarnation starring Benedict Cumberbatch.
Sherlock Holmes - The awesome classic incarnation starring Jeremy Brett. Start with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1984).
Blue Planet - David Attenborough's nature documentaries are all fantastic. This doesn't have the HD wow factor of Planet Earth or Life, but it's still amazing.

I'm also told television comes from places other than the UK.

Twin Peaks - Off-kilter crime show from David Lynch and Mark "Hill Street Blues" Frost. When the show is firing on all cylinders it's amazing.
Kolchak: The Night Stalker - Classic precursor to the X-Files.
Columbo - Peter Falk rules OK?
White Collar - Fun show about a FBI guy who teams up with a con artist. If you like Burn Notice, you'll probably dig this.
Lonesome Dove - Epic Western miniseries. Also, snag Shogun via the Netflix disc service for an epic Eastern miniseries.

FnordChan

Happy Endings - it's like Friends (which the show references)...in Chicago!

Promo clip

happy-endings-abc.jpg

Elisha Cuthbert (24), Zachary Knighton (loves V-necks), Damon Wayans Jr (his dad even shows up in one episode), Eliza Coupe, Casey Wilson, and Adam Pally (the funniest non-stereotypical gay character on TV).

Great comedic timing, situations, and chemistry (Eliza Coupe and Damon Wayans kill it as a married couple) between the cast.

Why don't more people watch this show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom