• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 - New Tech & Design Video Coming Tomorrow - 03/15

Prime example: Chinatown. Some gamers today don't really know the concepts of Film Noir, and they think that the genre is only limited to NY & LA. Other countries and nationalities can cave Noir in their films.

Shhhh! You'll ruin all their whining material!

By the way, I don't know about everyone, but I've been on a MAJOR gaming depression. I haven't really played a game or interested in playing one for months! And Max Payne 3 looks like the answer to my depressing gaming state.

Can't wait to play this. :D

Sethos

Banned
A quick slowmotion GIF montage taken from a few of the shotgun video scenes

ibkLFKlpESjQ4H.gif

A quick slowmotion GIF montage taken from a few of the shotgun video scenes

ibkLFKlpESjQ4H.gif

So good. O_O

I hope it's not too much to ask for facial animations for the enemies when they get shot. Otherwise, I'm still thrilled to have Euphoria give me those future hours of enjoyment. :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've been working my way through the GTA4 episodes recently and Euphoria really does add to shootouts in a dramatic way. It has me insanely hyped to feel the improvement in MP3 especially since the controls will likely feel significantly better than GTA's.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Nolan North Seal of Approval needs to be an industry standard.

The "Includes Nolan North" Seal should be standard too. I need to know which games he is in!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The "Includes Nolan North" Seal should be standard too. I need to know which games he is in!

I can't wait for the inevitable day we get a game that has a Nolan North Mode, which replaces every single voice with that of Nolan's. I'll throw money at whichever trend-setting developer does it first.

I can't wait for the inevitable day we get a game that has a Nolan North Mode, which replaces every single voice with that of Nolan's. I'll throw money at whichever trend-setting developer does it first.

So much hot Nolan-on-Nolan action. I anticipate it feverishly.

GeoramA

Could someone at PAX make sure that the PS3 version is up to snuff? I'm just a bit worried since they haven't shown it yet.

That shotgun video looked great.
I'm not buying day 1 if this is another half-assed PS3 effort. Will buy used if that's the case.

Sub-HD RDR was ridiculous and GTA IV looked even worse.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
He actually played the Penguin in Arkham City. The dude's versatile so I wouldn't be surprised.

This is something so few people seem to realise as he's generally requested to do his typical "Drake voice". Other good examples are the defective turrets and the non-Wheatley personality cores in Portal 2. I had no idea he'd even worked on the game until I sat through the credits at the end.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I bet you he's in MP3 as a supporting character (Yes, I know North doesn't play bit parts. But hey, it's Nolan North, right?)

He does tons of bit parts and random NPCs. Not as much anymore since he's more well known now but he still does them.

Fjordson

Man, these impressions from PAX sound really cool.

I love how the environment is destructible and not just totally static. I've seen people mention tables falling over if you land on them awkwardly, being able to shoot dodge through windows. Awesome.

Sethos

Banned
It's going to be hell when the console version is released 15 days before I get a hold of it, oh I won't be able to browse Gaf due to pure jelly. Then I'll just 1-up everyone with 4 weeks vacation around release and SLI 680 4GBs to max out this bitch.

Fjordson

Yeah, that looks awesome.

R*'s booth is supposedly pretty cool. Live DJ, bunch of swag, all three platforms available to try, etc.

And apparently the line is so big you're walking for 4-5 minutes before you see the end of it.

Simo

^ Why the fuck isn't this the boxart?!?
Probably because there's no room for token "Brazilian Bombshell" and "Gang Member #4", but yeah the artwork is frickin' awesome. I hope they release that along with the other one seen there that they used for the mural in L.A.

Yeah, that looks awesome.

R*'s booth is supposedly pretty cool. Live DJ, bunch of swag, all three platforms available to try, etc.

And apparently the line is so big you're walking for 4-5 minutes before you see the end of it.

Awesome. Rockstar have been posting some snaps and such on Twitter including the swag table with Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock picking up Max Payne 3 swag.

Not sure that'd work

q9kbH.png

( >.> )

Max Payne is tasked with protecting his client's geeky son at a video game convention when he's kidnapped and all hell breaks loose. Trapped in a dangerous city and with no way out, double crossed and left for dead, Max must rescue the kid and survive Boston, no matter the costs... whether they are in blood or bullets.

I wonder... dual wielding Desert Eagles, Max is gonna have like wicked arthritis in his later years.

Assuming he's not shot to death, overdoses, or dies of liver damage or something

Fjordson

I wonder... dual wielding Desert Eagles, Max is gonna have like wicked arthritis in his later years.

Assuming he's not shot to death, overdoses, or dies of liver damage or something
Yeah, that's some nasty kickback.

PAX contact got to play the demo again today. The level was a new one in New York (I think he might have meant New Jersey) and was really cool. Said most people he's seen are playing on 360. Lots of positive impressions all around.

Also sounds like the game is surprisingly tough. Aggressive AI + some people in line just running straight ahead with minimal bullet time getting owned (no clue why you wouldn't use bullet time!).

Edit: he snagged me a t-shirt. Score.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Any impressions on the PS3 version yet? Do we know how it stacks up to the 360 version at all? Also, please tell me that L1 and R1 are shoot and not L2 and R2.

Simo

Yeah, that's some nasty kickback.

PAX contact got to play the demo again today. The level was a new one in New York (I think he might have meant New Jersey) and was really cool. Said most people he's seen are playing on 360. Lots of positive impressions all around.

Also sounds like the game is surprisingly tough. Aggressive AI + some people in line just running straight ahead with minimal bullet time getting owned (no clue why you wouldn't use bullet time!).

Edit: he snagged me a t-shirt. Score.

The press previews mentioned that too, to the degree that trying to play it like a "cover shooter" just ends up having you destroyed by the enemy. Just found this hands-on write up from PAX that also reiterates the difficulty setting amongst other things:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/04/07/pax-east-2012-hands-on-with-max-payne-3-single-player/
Each firefight was a struggle for survival and it must be stated: Max Payne 3 is not an easy game. With no regenerating health and a limited arsenal each encounter is as gripping as the last.

As I approached a window two men entered the room on the other side of me and started looking for me. I was ducked behind a window which they were standing behind with a door to the left of me that they were covering. Suddenly I was struck with inspiration and asked the attendant in the room showing me the game a simple but very important question. “Can I dive through that window?”

“Absolutely.”

Max Payne 3 is a fun game to watch. When the guy who has been working on the game for months and seen hundreds of people play it is shouting in excitement when something cool happens, you know you’ve got something special.

Sadly, Rockstar again confirmed there are no plans for playable demo to be released. =(

The press previews mentioned that too, to the degree that trying to play it like a "cover shooter" just ends up having you destroyed by the enemy. Just found this hands-on write up from PAX that also reiterates the difficulty setting amongst other things:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/04/07/pax-east-2012-hands-on-with-max-payne-3-single-player/

This is something I'm looking forward to. A "momentum shooter" instead of a cover shooter. Stopping, waiting, that's just a prelude to death. You gotta move on instinct, speed, fight out of desperation, and look fucking cool while doing it.

Fuckin' Max Payne, guys.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Max Payne games have always been hard, sitting still anywhere for more than a couple of seconds is pretty much guaranteed death. Glad to hear that R* is following tradition. I was slightly worried they'd make it too much easier.

This is something I'm looking forward to. A "momentum shooter" instead of a cover shooter. Stopping, waiting, that's just a prelude to death. You gotta move on instinct, speed, fight out of desperation, and look fucking cool while doing it.

Fuckin' Max Payne, guys.

It will feel good to play a shooter that isn't a pop a mole shooting gallery.

Its been so long.

Max Payne is tasked with protecting his client's geeky son at a video game convention when he's kidnapped and all hell breaks loose. Trapped in a dangerous city and with no way out, double crossed and left for dead, Max must rescue the kid and survive Boston, no matter the costs... whether they are in blood or bullets.
First casualty was a booth babe. It always starts with a woman.

First casualty was a booth babe. It always starts with a woman.

"Like all the bad things in my life, it started with the death of a woman. I couldn't save her. Blood and glitter hung in the air as she fell, like... wet confetti. The roar of the gun faded away as the screaming began. I felt that old familiar feeling rise. I welcomed it."

dreamfall

"Like all the bad things in my life, it started with the death of a woman. I couldn't save her. Blood and glitter hung in the air as she fell, like... wet confetti. The roar of the gun faded away as the screaming began. I felt that old familiar feeling rise. I welcomed it."

Awesome avatar change! I need this in my veins! I think it's time to start quoting the Payne games in anticipation. You've set it off!

"Your past is like pieces of a broken mirror. You try to pick them up, but you only end up cutting yourself."

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Anyone know how the original games run on 360 BC? They're on sake for ten bucks each, tempted to just buy them both right now.

Awesome avatar change! I need this in my veins! I think it's time to start quoting the Payne games in anticipation. You've set it off!

"Your past is like pieces of a broken mirror. You try to pick them up, but you only end up cutting yourself."

I might have laughed... if I had remembered how.

Top Bottom