• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is no longer being updated. Visit part 4 instead: PS Vita general advice thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

ENZtR.png

(visit the first two threads if you want information about hardware and the launch titles)

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere
PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

z1TLC.png

Hardware Questions
Q: How big is the Vita compared to the 3DS?
A: Watch this comparison photo or this comparison video.

Q: How long is the battery life compared to the 3DS?
A: You'll get about four hours of gaming from it. You can read a more detailed breakdown here or here. If you're playing a less demanding title or a PSP game it will last longer.

Q: Is the Vita region free?
A: Yes, but you can only have one account activated at a time and online passes are region restricted.

Q: Are memory cards region free?
A: Yes, they are. Yoshida have been telling EU users to import 32 GB cards from the US.

Q: Does the Vita allow TV and Audio Out?
A: The Vita does support audio out, however the launch model Vita does not support video out.

Q: Question, do the thumbsticks click in? Like on a Call of Duty game for running.
A: No.​

Software Questions
Q: Is the PS Vita backwards compatible?
A: You can play some PSP games (see detailed list below). PS1 Classics are not compatible at launch. There are no current plans to make PS2 Classics or PSN games compatible.

Q: Is there a discount for buying the games digitally from the PSN store?
A: There will be some kind of discount. (source)

Q: Will PS+ members get an additional discount?
A: There will be no PS+ discounts in the US for Vita at launch. (source)

Q: Is there some kind of UMD trade-in program?
A: No.

Q: How do I download full games on the device?
A: You can only download games directly with the Vita or transfer them from a PS3. There are currently no other ways.

Q: Is there a way to watch YouTube videos?
A: Yes, watch this.

Q: Can you backup full games from your memory card to your PC using the Vita and the CMA application?
A: Yes.

Q: Which memory card should you buy?
A:
• No Memory Card: Not even an option. Unless you are buying this thing for one game which doesn't save on memory card.
• 4 GB: If you go full physical, try some demos, get some mini games digital.
• 8 GB: If you go mainly physical, maybe one full digital game on memory cart, mini games, some PSP stuff.
• 16 GB: If you go mainly digital, full games, mini games, PSP games, some music & videos may need some rotation.
• 32 GB: If you go full digital, full/mini/PSP games, music & videos, pull stuff like "disgaea collection, persona collection, final fantasy 1-10 collection"​

Account/Regional Questions
Q: Can I use multiple PSN profiles or different regional accounts on a single Vita?
A: Yes, and you can even use the same memory card. Read this post for detailed instructions.

Q: How do I switch PSN account on my Vita?
A: Read this post.​

PSP Questions
Q: How do I access the PSP emulator settings?
A: While playing a PSP game, press and hold a finger on the touchscreen for a little while. The menu will pop-up, giving you the option to assign buttons to the right analog stick plus more.

Q: Is it true that most PSP games are incompatible with the PS Vita?
A: The list Sony posted here is incomplete. Resourceful NeoGAF members have helped us compile the list below. You can transfer these via a PS3 instead of downloading them from the Vita store. Please notify me if you find any errors in the lists.​

Troubleshooting Questions
Q: My Vita seems to be frozen, when I turn it off it doesn't turn back on or the PS logo flashes blue what do I do?
A: First off, obviously make sure your Vita hasn’t just run out of power, or hasn’t overheated in sunlight (in which case, simply leave it somewhere shady to fully cool). Then, hold down your power button from about 30 seconds until you see the repair menu. Try restarting the system first. If that works, great! It was just a little glitch, everything is ok. If the problem keeps reoccurring when you play a certain digital game, delete it and re-download. Still not working? Follow this guide.​

Compatibility List

Official threads for Vita games
Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PSV) |OT| Play for 10 Million Hours!
Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!
Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita
Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!
MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition |OT| Because "ultimate" is so 1995.
MotorStorm RC |OT|
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita) |OT| A port of a port, of course, of course
Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth
Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality
Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise
Super Stardust Delta (Vita) |OT| How to Refine Perfection
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack |OT| - Indie Action For Vita Launch
The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton
Touch My Katamari |OT| Touch, Squeeze, and Pinch
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes
Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!
Unit 13 |OT| Tactical Shooter on the Go (Vita)
WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future

Official threads for Vita apps

Links
Playstation Vita Games: What does this thing have? @ NeoGAF
The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012 @ NeoGAF
Upcoming VITA Games & Apps Throughout 2012 Thread @ NeoGAF
PlayStation Vita Screenshots | OS Level Captures @ NeoGAF
Playstation Vita wallpaper thread | Customizing dat OLED screen @ NeoGAF
PS Vita BC thread of visual effects settings @ NeoGAF
Find a GAFer to play with @ Google Docs (hidden link, quote post to view it)
VITA Newb/N00b Q&A @ NeoGAF

Playstation Vita Online Manual @ Playstation.net
Content Manager Assistant for Playstation (Windows) @ Playstation.net
Content Manager Assistant for Playstation (Mac) @ Playstation.net
Welcome to PlayStation Vita @ Playstation.blog
How to Download PSP Titles to PS Vita @ Playstation.blog

Registering access points (used by Near) @ Skyhook
How to Switch PSN Accounts on PS Vita @ YouTube (IGN)
How to Switch PSN accounts EASILY FAQ @ GameAxis Forums

Wallpapers @ Playstation Vita Wallpapers​

The OP is a work in progress. If you feel like anything is incorrect or want to add something, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks to weekend_warrior for the banner and the headers! Thanks to the NeoGAF community for helping out with the correcting of errors and filling out the FAQ!

This is the best title we could come up with? Really?

Just kidding. Let the games continue.

edit: PS, smart to have it be a general thread. The launch is well behind us.

Rijasy

Neo Member
Third thread? Nice.

So far, these launch/general threads for the vita have been very helpful and informative. Keep up the good work!

Love the Vita. :)

Continued from last thread...

Well, I'm trying to new characters too so I don't think the skill gap will affect much; if anything I'll be sticking to super basic stuff and you could possibly learn from that?

Anyways, it's up to you. If you want to play again, send me a message whenever.

Do you have Skype/is there a handicap option?

Ken

Continued from last thread...

Do you have Skype/is there a handicap option?

No handicap option. As for Skype, I don't really enjoy voice chats, sorry.

Anyways, learn some BnBs, ask around in the UMvC3 OT, check out shoryuken's forums for character specific tips, and practice combos in training mode.

I'm also not really in the mood to have someone go easy, and just as I think I'm getting some momentum, they turn it back up and crush me again :p

There's really no "right" answer when the skill gap is large: If you "play nice", you're bored and I feel like I'm being patronised.

Well, I'm trying to new characters too so I don't think the skill gap will affect much; if anything I'll be sticking to super basic stuff and you could possibly learn from that?

Anyways, it's up to you. If you want to play again, send me a message whenever.

Only tip I have is to learn some BnB combos and go from there. Wolverine has some pretty easy stuff and so does Zero as long as you aren't trying anything fancy. Dante is pretty tough for me since I can't do bold cancels (plinks in SFIV I think? I'm garbage at SF so I'm not sure) which limits off what I can do with him. Go check out shoryuken's character forums and go into training mode for a bit.

I think I'm pretty terrible at UMvC3. I tend to spam unsafe moves out of habit and get punished badly. Honestly, I'm getting by with really basic stuff anyone can learn.

Twinduct

gah, so finally found a flaw in my vita (other than fixable issues, eventually). I love the dpad .. but my hands are way too big for it :<

Using the analogs I'm fine, but using the dpad (and the face buttons intensely) I get intense thumb cramps :<

Not to mention that I constantly hit the wrong keys by mistake, well more like I hit the right key but a wrong one at the same time.

With plat formers this didn't seem to be a problem, but been playing Blazblu since yesterday.
Would a 'gamepad holder' ... thing make a difference? Fellow large-hand-GAF, am I alone on this?

I'm another PSN account that would like a few new non-useless PSN friends:

DukeTogo1300

I'm afraid I'm not too into Motorstorm RC, and I suck at Marvel vs Capcom 3, but I would love some additional Stardust scores in my filter when I go to check mine.

How is the multi in Hot Shots Golf and Hustle Kings?

I'm another PSN account that would like a few new non-useless PSN friends:

DukeTogo1300

I'm afraid I'm not too into Motorstorm RC, and I suck at Marvel vs Capcom 3, but I would love some additional Stardust scores in my filter when I go to check mine.

How is the multi in Hot Shots Golf and Hustle Kings?

See my previous posts. We should play!

PSN ID: DyslexicChaos

Surprised that the giantbomb quicklook extravaganza isn't on the OP.

Was that premium locked?

I don't think that's worth putting in the OP. GiantBomb, as a whole, is pretty apathetic to the Vita.

legbone

please add pinball hall of fame: gottlieb collection to the list of titles that work but are not officially supported by sony. i have it on my vita right now.

I am on the fence of buying one.

I know there is no conversion program for umd titles but is there another/inofficial way to get my umd titles to play on ps vita?

I am on the fence of buying one.

I know there is no conversion program for umd titles but is there another/inofficial way to get my umd titles to play on ps vita?

Nope, you're limited to what's on the PSN store. I'm holding out hope for there being a way to one day play ripped PSP ISO's on the Vita.

JWong

Banned
Surprised that the giantbomb quicklook extravaganza isn't on the OP.

Was that premium locked?

imo it's a waste of time

They don't even do a good job of showing off the game. They just sit there and moan about how every game is shitty.

Captain Crazygloves does a way better job.

spats

imo it's a waste of time

They don't even do a good job of showing off the game. They just sit their and moan about how every game is shitty.

I watched a bit of the GB thing. It was pretty dumb and unprofessional, not that they're known for their professionalism in the first place.

Anyway, yay third thread.

Just a note about the Hori Face Cover (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WJ6YGW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details, it's great in concept but not that great in execution. The latch for the screen is hard to pry off without using excessive force, there's no way to change game cards without taking off the entire case (unavoidable I suppose), and it's kind of annoying that it doesn't fit in the cradle with the case on. Considering I bought it for $30 before the price drop to what it is now, it was a pretty bad purchase.

spats

If I set my Vita on the floor and stand on it, will it tell me my weight?

I purchased my Vita in Japan, will it tell me my weight in kilograms?

Yes to both, but be sure to be standing on top of the sticks, because that's where the weight sensors are.

Ok, don't actually do that.

The Shinobido 2 demo is great! I must've played that same demo level a dozen times now, it just feels so much more polished and playable than the last few Tenchu games I've tried.

The rear touch control for aiming seems a little inconsistent, so I switched it off. The front touch ideas are pretty clever though, particularly the multiple opening eyes on the edge of the screen. It is great that I can snap to all my current danger zones just by holding each down, it doesn't feel gimmicky in the slightest.

Touching for the map and items could've just as easily been a button, but there are enough buttons needed to play that freeing up a few like this makes sense. This is how touch should be done. None of this feels forced or wonky, and the rear touch aiming can be switched off.

I will be buying this at the first brick & mortar I see it in.

SmokyDave

I'm pretty sure Motorstorm: AE does work, at least the PAL version. I only fired it up to make sure my save worked though, I didn't do much actual racing.

Yjynx

Lol part 3 already. Btw I just can't stop playing unit 13 really wish this game got gyro aiming and proper mp.

Eusis

Locoroco and Patapon work for me by the way (North America), at least I was able to successfully copy over and play some of them.

Twinduct

imo it's a waste of time

They don't even do a good job of showing off the game. They just sit there and moan about how every game is shitty.

Yeah agreed. Although the captain might chase away people with a sense of hearing :p

-whats the best way to maintain battery life....since its unremovable, you are always either charging the battery, or playing the vita and using up battery life....eventually the batterys charge/discharge life cycles will decrease....any way to avoid?

does the Vita have a lock button? on the PSP, you just have to flip the main power switch up to lock the buttons up, but is there such a thing on the vita?

-whats the best way to maintain battery life....since its unremovable, you are always either charging the battery, or playing the vita and using up battery life....eventually the batterys charge/discharge life cycles will decrease....any way to avoid?

does the Vita have a lock button? on the PSP, you just have to flip the main power switch up to lock the buttons up, but is there such a thing on the vita?

Defy the very nature of most batteries? I've been managing to get 5-6 hours of battery with 25% brightness, WiFi off, playing both PSP and not so hardware heavy Vita games like Motorstorm and Mutant Blobs.

I dont think the vita has a lock button, but there is a lock screen (i.e. Smartphones) and its pretty sexy.

Also to add to the PSP list, Me & My Katamari works perfectly fine.

Could you use the Right Analog stick for the game?

so guys, i want to buy a new game for my vita.

currently games i own are:
- uncharted
- rayman
- mutant blobs
- ridge racer
- motorstorm rc
- escape plan

i'm interested in lumines, but i'm waiting on a price cut and i'm looking for a 3d person game. i'll be buying ys7, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom