• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blocking mom from net-stalking you

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
My twitter is basically a way to follow news and people I like while at the same time making quick posts to Facebook (since I have them linked), so my Twitter is 'locked' i.e. you need my approval before following me.

Waaaay too many random followers, that shit annoys me.

I still don't understand the problem here.

You're an adult. If you care this much, you have three choices:

1) Stop using twitter. Medium difficulty, and doesn't really solve the problem.
2) Change your name. Easy difficulty, solves part of the problem.
3) Continue using twitter and accept that your mother is going to keep following you. Deal with the consequences of that reality via communication and desensitization, rather than running from it. Hard difficulty, helps you grow as a person, and potentially solves the problem, but at least it addresses the problem and treats your mother as a human being.

kehs

Banned
Yeah, I don't have the urge to tell my mom when some girl has a nice rack.

I don't mix friends/with familty, that's it.

Twitter is more like using a megaphone, and not some random chit chat you've been having with friends.

I'm not a mama's boy so I don't want her knowing and worrying, and I'm not a criminal or something so I don't need to worry about future employers reading it. It's really that simple.

So you tell your mum about your sex life/random hookups or that amazing time you had when rolling on MDMA?

If you do, congratulations on having a cool mum but not everyone has such an open minded mother/relationship.

If I was someone who would put it out there publically, like say....on twitter, I wouldn't have a problem with my mother knowing about it.

It's a little insulting to pretend like your relatives need to be in some kind of "bubble" from your happenings, how about you treat them like people and let them be the ones to decide whether or not to keep reading about your brocapades.

dojokun

Banned
I still don't understand the problem here.

You're an adult. If you care this much, you have three choices:

1) Stop using twitter. Medium difficulty, and doesn't really solve the problem.
2) Change your name. Easy difficulty, solves part of the problem.
3) Continue using twitter and accept that your mother is going to keep following you. Deal with the consequences of that reality via communication and desensitization, rather than running from it. Hard difficulty, helps you grow as a person, and potentially solves the problem, but at least it addresses the problem and treats your mother as a human being.

Facebook allows me to post to certain people and not others, without blocking said users. I was simply asking if twitter has an option to make it so certain users dont see what I'm tweeting, without fully blocking them. No one asked you to play internet psychiatrist.

dojokun

Banned
Twitter is more like using a megaphone, and not some random chit chat you've been having with friends.

If I was someone who would put it out there publically, like say....on twitter, I wouldn't have a problem with my mother knowing about it.

It's a little insulting to pretend like your relatives need to be in some kind of "bubble" from your happenings, how about you treat them like people and let them be the ones to decide whether or not to keep reading about your brocapades.

What's insulting is pretending like not sharing everything with your mom is indicative if some deep psychological problem.

Facebook allows me to post to certain people and not others, without blocking said users. I was simply asking if twitter has an option to make it so certain users dont see what I'm tweeting, without fully blocking them. No one asked you to play internet psychiatrist.

"This is neogaf." Really, what did you expect?

I have my parents blocked on Facebook. I kinda feel like a dickhead about it, but it's warranted considering my sense of humor could be considered too abrasive for them to not give me shit about it over.

Dilly

Banned

No.

Oh shit I just had a million dollar idea. You set up a fake twitter/facebook account to give to family that you dont want to have access to your real account. We then manage those accounts for you, including posting generic clean updates on your fake account and forwarding your families postings to you. All for the low low price of $4.99 per month.

I don't see why you just don't delete her.

My mum is on Facebook but she's never tried to add me as a friend because she respects my privacy. She understands social networking is a place where I discuss things with friends and she's never wanted to invade that.

If she gets insulted by not letting her follow you then that's retarded.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is why I tell my mother I don't have a Facebook. Nothing good could come out of her seeing what I post on there .

Dilly

Banned
I don't see why you just don't delete her.

My mum is on Facebook but she's never tried to add me as a friend because she respects my privacy. She understands social networking is a place where I discuss things with friends and she's never wanted to invade that.

If she gets insulted by not letting her follow you then that's retarded.

You're in a bubble FV!

I can relate dojokun. My Dad started following me (along with a couple of cousins and my sister in law, why). I haven't since tweeted mental farts like I used to. I could get a new account or stay away from tweeting and become a full time follower. It's not that they don't know me or that I don't want them to discover some obscure facet. I believe there's a time and place for all. I get twitters block with my Dad potentially listening to all that shit in my head. I love my parents to death but I don't bring them with me to every party I get invited to, no.

The anxiety we endure because of the social parawebnalia.

dojokun

Banned
I can relate dojokun. My Dad started following me (along with a couple of cousins and my sister in law, why). I haven't since tweeted mental farts like I used to. I could get a new account or stay away from tweeting and become a full time follower. It's not that they don't know me or that I don't want them to discover some obscure facet. I believe there's a time and place for all. I get twitters block with my Dad potentially listening to all that shit in my head. I love my parents to death but I don't bring them with me to every party I get invited to, no.

The anxiety we endure because of the social parawebnalia.

Ya. For me it's hard to explain it to people whose parents grew up somewhere other than Viet Nam (where my parents are from).

Sofo

Fully understand you OP. I never had a rebellious phase with my parents, so they're used to me giving a lot of explanations of what I do and I don't, and now (me being 24) I still follow everything they say.

That being said, there's a moment in life where you must set a line, so that you become your own individual, like your parents did with theirs (or should have, anyway). I'm learning now that this transition to adulthood is to make your parents realize you no longer are that kid that they had so many expectations for, but you're the adult that they raised (with the pros and cons that might have). They have to understand that your life is determined by your own decisions and it might be tough for them. I know my parents (and especially my mother) have a hard time coming to terms with my own decisions, so you have to be understanding to a certain point. My mother is on facebook, and there was a time she used to comment and ask me about anything I would share (why would "x" friend say "y" thing and the like). It got to a point when I started being vague about it. Right now she doesn't even care for my facebook (she's too busy with citiville anyway lol) and she just looks at my sister's.

Anyway, I don't recommend blocking her or anything, but you have to make her understand that it is your life and don't give her explanations. Depending on how clingy she is, you might need to be more harsh but try not to.

cousins

Create a twitter handle under either a nickname or your first and middle name, instead of your last (which I'm assuming is how she's finding you). If you use a picture of yourself as your icon, I'd change that, too. After you set everything up, set your tweets to private.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So I guess there's no way to do it without her knowing huh. Facebook lets you do that with statuses... wish twitter offered this option.

I mean, I'm an adult living 1000 miles from her, but she's the type to be up worrying about her only son because he's not at home by 10:00pm.

Just tell her...

East Lake

Okay this post proves that you do NOT understand how cultural differences can make these things a problem your whole life, not just your teenage years, despite your claims to have friends in that situation.
Is your mom really going to worry about you going to bars and eating bacon or french fries her whole life? Like you can't possibly explain these things? If there's lewd comments on there then ok, but the rest is so inoffensive I have a hard time believing a human being can't accept it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
you know what is funny about that?

it just shows how rigid and narrow-minded most people are. I mean some people are afraid of what their parents might think of them and it just means that there are certain conditions under which parents "love" or "accept" them. It's like parents are just as alien for them as any other person. I understand the concern but parents aren't supposed to be people who judge their children. They must embrace them no matter what their children are (until they are a threat to society).

DominoKid

you know what is funny about that?

it just shows how rigid and narrow-minded most people are. I mean some people are afraid of what their parents might think of them and it just means that there are certain conditions under which parents "love" or "accept" them. It's like parents are just as alien for them as any other person. I understand the concern but parents aren't supposed to be people who judge their children. They must embrace them no matter what their children are (until they are a threat to society).

that's all well and good in fantasyland but meanwhile, in the real world...

East Lake

In the real world????? He's just a normal guy who's not a teenager anymore and he goes out to bars and stuff. He doesn't have to explain that he's gay or that he's addicted to crack and that he's ashamed of his addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom