• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(04-05-2012, 09:27 AM)
Drkirby's Avatar
Wouldn't it take several hours of grinding to make it to 60, or is there a way to do it in a decent amount of time?
PixyJunket
Member
(04-05-2012, 12:28 PM)
PixyJunket's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drkirby

Wouldn't it take several hours of grinding to make it to 60, or is there a way to do it in a decent amount of time?

Several would be a severe understatement. Whoever designed the achievement wasn't thinking properly or was not familiar with the game.
Volcynika
Member
(04-05-2012, 01:14 PM)
Volcynika's Avatar
I have great dislike for phase 2 of Galbalan. Trying to beat it on Hard. Urg. I can perfect the first part, but then I just get wrecked partway through 2.
bishopcruz
Member
(04-05-2012, 04:18 PM)
bishopcruz's Avatar

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

Several would be a severe understatement. Whoever designed the achievement wasn't thinking properly or was not familiar with the game.

Yeah, I have that problem with a lot of the acheivments. The ones that especially piss me off are having to do the escort quests on every difficulty, as well as not getting the very easy and easy completion achievements for beating Normal. I'm playing Nightmare right now, thanks to my old, non steam, saves. Some of the achievements are interesting, some are really hard, and some are just plain annoying. The level 60 one is one of the latter.
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(04-05-2012, 05:18 PM)
Orin GA's Avatar
The 20 hour one goes hand in hand with the lvl 60 one, lol
PixyJunket
Member
(04-05-2012, 10:28 PM)
PixyJunket's Avatar

Originally Posted by bishopcruz

Yeah, I have that problem with a lot of the acheivments. The ones that especially piss me off are having to do the escort quests on every difficulty, as well as not getting the very easy and easy completion achievements for beating Normal. I'm playing Nightmare right now, thanks to my old, non steam, saves. Some of the achievements are interesting, some are really hard, and some are just plain annoying. The level 60 one is one of the latter.

Yeah, I think whoever designed them was far more interested in making pathetic 4chan references over creating balanced achievements.

Then again, Falcom themselves has an unlockable in Ys Origin for beating the game twelve times (and one in Gurumin for beating that game four times).
Sinatar
Banned
(04-05-2012, 10:30 PM)
Sinatar's Avatar
They're just achievements. Don't do them.
NZA36
Junior Member
(04-06-2012, 01:15 PM)
NZA36's Avatar

Originally Posted by chaosblade

What do you mean "fixed function?" Just set the camp menu to whatever button you want.

It seems like it's a 360 controller issue. It wouldn't recognize some of the buttons. I switched to a logitech controller and it works perfectly.
Volcynika
Member
(04-07-2012, 06:01 PM)
Volcynika's Avatar
Been progressing with a nightmare run, just got to the save point before the dragon. OH JOY.
iavi
Member
(04-11-2012, 01:57 AM)
iavi's Avatar
Finally finished my first run on normal. What a fantastic game. And for a game that didn't much focus on story, I found myself quite invested in what the hell was happening to the lot of them. Can't wait for Origins.
DimmuBurgerKing
Member
(04-11-2012, 02:02 AM)
DimmuBurgerKing's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sinatar

They're just achievements. Don't do them.

Pretty much this. At least the "Forever Alone" one made me giggle inside.

Starting my Hard playthrough tonight. <3 this game!
ArjanN
Member
(04-11-2012, 03:04 AM)
ArjanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

Several would be a severe understatement. Whoever designed the achievement wasn't thinking properly or was not familiar with the game.

EDIT:

From the Xseed forum:

If you're trying for full completion of every achievement, you might as well leave that one for close to last. Once you beat the game on higher difficulties, you unlock "debug mode," which you can use to alter your level as you see fit. The amount of skill it takes to unlock this mode is pretty considerable, and we have no restrictions on the achievement based on whether or not debug mode is being used... so why do things the hard way when there's an "easier" method?

-Tom

Last edited by ArjanN; 04-13-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Volcynika
Member
(04-14-2012, 03:22 AM)
Volcynika's Avatar
I'm now back at the near impenetrable wall of Galbalan on Nightmare. I did go to my Very Easy save and get the "Like a Boss" achievement (second phase was the most annoying, though you can break it a bit easily if you're lucky).

I just hope to actually beat Nightmare this time. I have the item that revives you, but I get blitzed in the second phase.
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(04-14-2012, 03:15 PM)
Orin GA's Avatar
good luck.
Volcynika
Member
(04-14-2012, 03:24 PM)
Volcynika's Avatar

Originally Posted by Orin GA

good luck.

What level did you end up beating him at? I'm at 51 now.
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(04-14-2012, 03:43 PM)
Orin GA's Avatar
51
vall03
Member
(04-14-2012, 03:56 PM)
vall03's Avatar
ok, this is the first time I heard of the debug mode, tried it and the f2-f5 keys are not working, would love to just play around it for a while.
StarCreator
Member
(04-14-2012, 04:52 PM)
StarCreator's Avatar

Originally Posted by vall03

ok, this is the first time I heard of the debug mode, tried it and the f2-f5 keys are not working, would love to just play around it for a while.

Does your keyboard have an "F Lock" key? Try toggling that first.
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(04-14-2012, 06:11 PM)
Orin GA's Avatar

Originally Posted by vall03

ok, this is the first time I heard of the debug mode, tried it and the f2-f5 keys are not working, would love to just play around it for a while.


After beating Galbaran in Nightmare boss rush...you will be fighting against Berhard...win against Berhard will unlock the Debug mode. Using Debug Mode however will flag your save file and you wont be put on the leaderboards.
LethaL ImpuLse
Member
(04-14-2012, 06:32 PM)
LethaL ImpuLse's Avatar
Okay, I've been playing this for a little bit now and I'm at the second boss, but how the heck do I charge my fireball? I've been holding the magic button forever, nothing happens!
iavi
Member
(04-14-2012, 06:36 PM)
iavi's Avatar

Originally Posted by LethaL ImpuLse

Okay, I've been playing this for a little bit now and I'm at the second boss, but how the heck do I charge my fireball? I've been holding the magic button forever, nothing happens!

You need to have at least one of the gems related to that magic: Ruby for fire, emerald for wind, and so forth. You should have gotten the first ruby in the mines, so it sounds like you have some backtracking to do; HINT: Warping to the boss door and back-tracking left for a room or two would probably put you right in front of it. Super quick. You have to light a torch to get it to appear.
Last edited by iavi; 04-14-2012 at 06:38 PM.
LethaL ImpuLse
Member
(04-14-2012, 06:38 PM)
LethaL ImpuLse's Avatar

Originally Posted by Miri

You need to have at least one of the gems related to that magic: Ruby for fire, emerald for wind, and so forth. You should have gotten the first ruby in the mines, so it sounds like you have some backtracking to do; HINT: Warping to the boss door and back-tracking left for a room or two would probably put you right in front of it. You have to light a torch to get it to appear.

Oh, wow, thank you!
Volcynika
Member
(04-14-2012, 09:45 PM)
Volcynika's Avatar
VICTOLY

Just beat Galbalan on Nightmare. I actually went into some sort of zen mode and perfected the first two phases...only to get walloped a bit in the third phase. Fortunately I had that revival item, otherwise I wouldn't have made it. Beat him at about 41 health remaining. :D

I need to progress through the boss rush modes at least, I can't even beat Dularn 1 (I suck at dodging the attack where the swords just come out each side and then go for you).
vall03
Member
(04-15-2012, 03:08 AM)
vall03's Avatar

Originally Posted by StarCreator

Does your keyboard have an "F Lock" key? Try toggling that first.

I can normally toggle No-Fall mode so I dont think its that, maybe editing the ini file doesnt work with the Steam version? no big deal if it doesnt work though...
Pyrrhus
Member
(04-15-2012, 03:45 AM)
Pyrrhus's Avatar
Finally beat it on Normal. Never did figure out why the video was cutting out randomly on my rig. I wonder if it had something to do with the game running between 800 and 1200 fps according to Fraps. Or maybe the fact that I'm using an HD TV as a monitor. In any case, the loss of visuals for three or so seconds at random certainly added another wrinkle to boss fights.

Also, some story questions. Was the pagan religion practiced at Illburns Ruins devoted to Galbalan? The game seems to suggest it but it's never conclusive. Also, it seems like Galbalan himself has been retconned to be another invention of the ancient culture that created the Ark of Napishtim from Ys 6. Am I understanding this properly?

And finally, there are a few things with the script that I noticed in my playthrough that I figured I'd bring to everyone's attention for the sake of conversation.

For instance, Lady McGuire refers to herself as Count McGuire's fiancee when you speak to her in Valestine Castle. Clearly this isn't right as they have two children, have lived together in the castle for years, and she's otherwise referred to in the game as his wife. Also, it sounded wrong to my ear for a priest of a pseudo-Catholic religion like Father Pierre to be called a pastor. Pastor is generally a Protestant term for a spiritual leader. Did these stick out to anybody else?
chaosblade
Member
(04-15-2012, 05:47 AM)
chaosblade's Avatar
For the first question, I doubt it's that simple, but I don't recall the game giving too many details.

For the second one, yes, and that gets kind of complicated as well since they seem to be tying everything together now.
vareon
Member
(04-15-2012, 12:56 PM)
vareon's Avatar
Just played this on Normal. Maybe because this is my very first Ys, but I'm already stuck at that fire dragon boss. Can't seem to dodge his fiery body attack.
flowsnake
Member
(04-15-2012, 03:15 PM)
flowsnake's Avatar

Originally Posted by vareon

Just played this on Normal. Maybe because this is my very first Ys, but I'm already stuck at that fire dragon boss. Can't seem to dodge his fiery body attack.

Are you using the wind bracelet to float above him?
ArjanN
Member
(04-15-2012, 03:21 PM)
ArjanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by vareon

Just played this on Normal. Maybe because this is my very first Ys, but I'm already stuck at that fire dragon boss. Can't seem to dodge his fiery body attack.

Yeah, the bosses are pretty tough, they way they're designed is more like Devil May Cry than Final Fantasy. :P

For that fight use the wind magic you just got to spin in the air while jumping. Once he stops being on fire just hit his body a bunch. Don't chase him once he gets ready to dive back into a lava pit or you'll get hit by splash damage.

Also, don't forget to use the that rage ability (or whatever it's called) that charges up over time that lets you do more damage and improves your defense.

Finally, all the bosses have a save point before them so you can always load the last game and grind out an extra level or two, that generally makes every boss fight easier. 1 or 2 extra levels can make a pretty big difference in this game.
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(04-15-2012, 03:26 PM)
Orin GA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Volcynika

VICTOLY

Just beat Galbalan on Nightmare. I actually went into some sort of zen mode and perfected the first two phases...only to get walloped a bit in the third phase. Fortunately I had that revival item, otherwise I wouldn't have made it. Beat him at about 41 health remaining. :D

I need to progress through the boss rush modes at least, I can't even beat Dularn 1 (I suck at dodging the attack where the swords just come out each side and then go for you).

grats man.
Volcynika
Member
(04-15-2012, 08:17 PM)
Volcynika's Avatar
Ugh. I've been trying the Nightmare boss run (beat Normal and Hard already) and the game keeps crashing every now and then when I retry Gyalva. It doesn't help that the boss is annoying as hell and you can get trapped. So far I've had three crashes. It sucks.

fffff
AdawgDaFAB
Member
(04-16-2012, 02:07 AM)
AdawgDaFAB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Volcynika

Ugh. I've been trying the Nightmare boss run (beat Normal and Hard already) and the game keeps crashing every now and then when I retry Gyalva. It doesn't help that the boss is annoying as hell and you can get trapped. So far I've had three crashes. It sucks.

fffff

The first time I tried boss rush was after beating the game on Normal. It crashed after about 20 minutes and when I restarted the game the boss rush mode was gone from the main menu. I haven't tried beating the final boss again, but I'm assuming it will reopen the option. That kinda soured me on playing the game for a while when it happened.
DimmuBurgerKing
Member
(04-16-2012, 03:25 AM)
DimmuBurgerKing's Avatar
Decided to play Boss Rush; killed it. So, I'm guessing if I want to play Hard/Nightmare Boss Rush, I'll have to beat the full game on those levels? It didn't seem to unlock after merely beating Normal Boss Rush.
Volcynika
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:49 AM)
Volcynika's Avatar

Originally Posted by DimmuBurgerKing

Decided to play Boss Rush; killed it. So, I'm guessing if I want to play Hard/Nightmare Boss Rush, I'll have to beat the full game on those levels? It didn't seem to unlock after merely beating Normal Boss Rush.

Correct.
Volcynika
Member
(04-18-2012, 05:31 AM)
Volcynika's Avatar
Just an update, as I'm still trudging through. It took me about 3.5 hours to beat the Nightmare boss run, but I have made progress in the game and started my one last file.



Fought Berhardt too, you have to go all out on him to win. I did play around with debug mode, but when I maxed my level, the achievement didn't pop like I thought it would. Odd!
Last edited by Volcynika; 04-18-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(04-25-2012, 12:33 AM)
Drkirby's Avatar
Well, a 200MB patch is downloading now, anyone know whats in it?
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(04-25-2012, 12:36 AM)
Orin GA's Avatar
I just asked that on the steam forums. Hopefully will get an answer soon.
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(04-25-2012, 12:39 AM)
Orin GA's Avatar
I just booted the game up. They may have fixed widescreen.
Volcynika
Member
(04-25-2012, 12:41 AM)
Volcynika's Avatar
They also fixed debug mode not triggering the max level achievement :D (Even Tom said it was ok to use! :P )

Hey, can I get Ys Origin now?

Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(04-25-2012, 12:42 AM)
Orin GA's Avatar
ill gotten achievements.

*me shakes head*
Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(04-25-2012, 12:44 AM)
Drkirby's Avatar
Yeah, looks like proper wide screen support to me, nice:

Volcynika
Member
(04-25-2012, 12:44 AM)
Volcynika's Avatar

Originally Posted by Orin GA

ill gotten achievements.

*me shakes head*

Psh, it was one that would've been pointlessly time consuming! Though there is a person out there with 140+ hours of the game, though they are top of the leaderboards.

I beat all the boss runs and Inferno, I earned it!
speedpop
Has problems recognising girls
(04-25-2012, 12:48 AM)
speedpop's Avatar
Widescreen!
PixyJunket
Member
(04-25-2012, 12:48 AM)
PixyJunket's Avatar
-Added true widescreen support.
---The old method is available in the configuration.
-Improved controller support.
-Updated movies for compatibility.
-Changed some unlock methods.
---All difficulties except Inferno are now unlocked by default.
---Inferno and Time Attack unlock when any difficulty is cleared.
-Slightly adjusted some system graphics.
-Fixed a texture display issue on some systems.
-Fixed an issue with cheats and an achievement.
-Fixed an exploit with Istersiva.
-Fixed some enemy collision bugs.
-Fixed some minor leaderboard bugs.
-Fixed a rare issue with clear data.
-Fixed a text display issue.
Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(04-25-2012, 12:49 AM)
Drkirby's Avatar
Any idea if 360 Controller Rumble now works right?

I also find it funny they have an option for borked widescreen.
chickdigger802
Banned
(04-25-2012, 12:50 AM)
chickdigger802's Avatar
oh, am extremely impressed on the widescreen mode. Expected something half assed.
Robobandit
Member
(04-25-2012, 12:54 AM)
Robobandit's Avatar
Looks like I'll be going back to this game tonight, then!
PixyJunket
Member
(04-25-2012, 01:18 AM)
PixyJunket's Avatar
Pics of true widescreen mode, please? :)
jj350
Banned
(04-25-2012, 01:21 AM)
jj350's Avatar
I bought this game a while ago and it's great for what it is, good game to play on an HDTV with a Xbox 360 controller.
Nabs
(04-25-2012, 01:26 AM)
Nabs's Avatar
great patch

Thread Tools