• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2012. Why don't we have better toothpaste dispensers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

F5I1cl.jpg

It seems like the toothpaste container technology has been at a standstill since the mid 1800s (just a guess). Why don't they invent better ways of dispensing toothpaste so that the above doesn't happen? The last 20% or so of the tube is spent squeezing different parts of the tube to avoid wasting any toothpaste. And it seems to last like that forever. We have electric and sonic toothbrushes now that charge on contact. Seems like the toothpaste industry needs to play catchup.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
i don't brush my teeth so i wouldn't know.

Busaiku

Learn how to use that tube better.
Seriously, I thought all those horror stories I hear on those commercials for that holder thing were just fiction.

Maybe you need one of those holder things.
It comes in chrome and white, I think.

bluehat9

They sell those pieces of plastic that you can slide up the tube to get everything out for like 5 bucks, so if you really need to get that last drop of toothpaste, you could buy one of them.

marrec

Banned
They sell those pieces of plastic that you can slide up the tube to get everything out for like 5 bucks, so if you really need to get that last drop of toothpaste, you could buy one of them.

Or you could just use the toothpaste tube correctly by rolling it up from the bottom. That picture looks like a two year old tried to use it.

soqquatto

tubes must be made up in the cheapest way. complex dispenders are difficult to recycle and use up more materials. the product inside the tube is probably less expensive than the tube itself.

also, left tube in the top image has been clearly squeezed by a monkey and not by a functioning human being.

Korey

Or you could just use the toothpaste tube correctly by rolling it up from the bottom. That picture looks like a two year old tried to use it.

The point is that in 2012, we shouldn't have to roll or squeeze anything. It should just be dispensed in the perfect amount without any additional effort on our part.

Raxus

Why are you worried about wasting toothpaste? It's incredibly inexpensive.

Not to mention it doesn't play a huge role in taking care of your teeth. As long as you brush (and floss) you are removing most of the plaque in your teeth.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's 2012--how have we not figured out a cheap and universal technology to spray on kids teeth so that they never need to brush or floss for the rest of their life? Are we really still stuck scrubbing our teeth with pokey bristles and baking soda?

bjaelke

That's because a two year old did try to use it.
The point is that in 2012, we shouldn't have to roll or squeeze anything. It should just be dispensed in the perfect amount without any additional effort on our part.
Get an electronic toothpaste dispenser. They're fairly cheap and work with most brands.

R2D4

Banned

Because squeezing is the simplest solution to a non existent problem.

Forsete

I'm kinda in the toothpaste industry (we make the machines that fill toothpaste - amongst other things, into tubes or jars).

Tubes are very-very cheap. And you can fill up to 800 tubes per minute in just one machine, and have them packed in the cart at the same time.

Oh, and when in Africa/India/Bangladesh/Pakistan, buy Colgate. Other brands contain nasty shit. Colgate has quality control, if a 3rd party filler does not meet the standard they lose their license to fill for Colgate.

Because they work just fine. You are the one that doesn't know how to use it well.

A better complaint about them is that they are not recyclable.

GhaleonEB

Someone doesn't know how to squeeze a tube of toothpaste. This is what I just snagged from my cabinet:

IMG_6528.jpg

No mess, no waste, no effort involved.

This is a strange standard. The tube works well because it is inexpensive, easy and efficient (minimal waste). To your second sentence, do you apply this standard to other containers from which we dispense things?

Beverages? Cereal boxes? Chip bags? Containers should now automatically dispense the proper portion for us? Why is it that toothpaste is the one container that must dispense itself?

I'm certain there are solutions available for you regarding toothpaste, as I've seen all manner of pre-measured and oddly packaged toothpaste options available. Pretty sure I've seen disposable toothbrushes with just the right amount of toothpaste applied to each at one point, so you never need to measure or rinse your toothbrush. I don't understand why you need such a thing, but there are solutions out there.

Here you go.

Ah, there we go. Technology at its finest. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A better complaint about them is that they are not recyclable.

There's a fair few tooth powder brands that have recyclable packaging--of course your toothbrush itself will not be recyclable (even "recyclable toothbrushes" require throwing out the head / brush part)

Angry Fork

I once came up with an invention that would connect a toothpaste dispenser to toothbrushes and then a motor would squeeze the toothpaste onto the toothbrush so you didn't have to do it yourself.

I never made it but if I did it would sell billions. BILLIONS. Do not underestimate the potential laziness of Americans.

edit -

Here you go.

what the fuck >=o

Someone always does it first. Fuck inventions. Not the same as mine but still.

Emitan

This is why I never go to OT. I never wanted to know I go to a forum where people have issues USING TOOTHPASTE.

usea

In general they've found US consumers resistant to change in toothpaste dispenser design. From the tube to the cap. This has relaxed somewhat in the past 10 years or so.

red731

What is going on in this thread? Oh..

If you are near the end of the tube, just roll it from the back to front and push the remaining paste to the front..

or...OR...just use toothbrush and slide it from back to front - like the pic above, but....with toothbrush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom